rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

New fly half
Sharkyjack (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 18:34
Apparently Spanish fly half Emiliano Calle is moving to Sale from Aparejadores Rugby Burgos.

Re: New fly half
20 January, 2019 18:55
Sale 1861 or Sale Sharks?

Btw - Spanish fly? Yes please.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2019 18:56 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 19:16
Apparently joining us immediately. Would have preferred Ian keatley for rest of season to be honest

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 19:31
Quote:
Sharkyjack
Apparently Spanish fly half Emiliano Calle is moving to Sale from Aparejadores Rugby Burgos.

Care to reveal the source?

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:12
Our last Spanish player turned out alright

Sharkyjack (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:29
Mrs T, Sale sharks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2019 20:33 by Sharkyjack.

Sharkyjack (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:42
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
Sharkyjack

Care to reveal the source?

Aparejadores Rugby BurgosĎ Twitter wishing him good luck @salesharks

2007dwain (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:48
[es.m.wikipedia.org]

His wiki page says he is with us !

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 21:02
Thought the new club was supposed to make the anouncement.

From memory, at the Coaches night, it was said Dimes was negotiating with USA Rugby about the release of AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2019 21:12 by M5 Shark.

thekeg (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 21:30
Is AJ potentially away with USA during February?

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 22:21
USA matches from 2 Feb to 8 March
[www.usarugby.org]

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 23:03
Think I saw somewhere on twitter that AJ away for first 2 Super Eagles games but coming back to us and missing final 3, which if true suggests more sensible dealing by the club over internationals. He undoubtedly needs game time but recognises his club also has games heíll be vital in.

thekeg (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 23:27
Quote:
M5 Shark
USA matches from 2 Feb to 8 March
[www.usarugby.org]

Ta

Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 09:27
Quote:
2007dwain
https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emiliano_Calle

If you click on the 'Sale Sharks' link it gives our squad in 2008/09. Some memorable names and some I'd forgotten about.

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 10:31
Announced for Sale Fc rather than the Sharks.

ale shark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 10:34
Quote:
2007dwain
https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emiliano_Calle

Must be true then!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 10:45
Quote:
Sussex Shark
Announced for Sale Fc rather than the Sharks.

Makes more sense. With the greatest of respect I was wondering what a player from a mid table Spanish side was going to add to our squad

Hope he does well for Sale FC

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 11:02
Good for Sale FC, but why are SS talking about it? Unless they want to see how he goes and view him as a potential squad player in the future.

If not, then expect to be inundated with tweets from SS announcing signings for all NW clubs!

or maybe I'm being cynical.....

Olyy (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 12:27
I think you are.

Sale Sharks and Sale FC are strengthening ties, hence the "OneSale" hashtag they're using

21 January, 2019 12:35
Awful

madders (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 14:00
SS are talking about it, as his outgoing club said he was moving to SS, which he isn't. I would suggest that they retweeted Sale FC's announcement of the signing, as a way of correcting the duff information.

johneverton (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 17:23
Correct, madders

StalyShark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 20:30
Has anyone mentioned Aaron Cruden yet...

[www.rugbypass.com]

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 20:59
I also had that thought when I noticed the earlier article on RugbyPass about how Altrad was not satisfied with what Montpellier were getting from him.

Then I read it and realised is because he's been injured for long periods so maybe not such a good idea. A fit Cruden would be great but a knackered one is no good as Montpellier are finding out

clutch (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 22:42
Not that convinced spending a load of cap on a 10 is the best idea.

thekeg (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 22:55
Hopefully we can sign Du preez, imagine wage demands are significant lower and we know he fits in. Spend the cap on the front 5

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 06:36
Does RdP, AJ and Kieran Wilkinson work over a full season in terms of game time? If we qualify for Champions Cup, it probably does (just about) although AJ (nor RdP) won't be happy being rested.

We regularly have just 2 backs on the bench, maybe if we have 3, we might have one of them on the bench to switch the gameplan if needed?

Has RdP played any position other than FH?

Also, if AJ and RdP are away for the RWC, how does that affect us in terms of games with just KW?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2019 06:38 by M5 Shark.

clutch (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 07:07
Itís going to be difficult but if Wilkinson develops as per his reputation he should replace one of them naturally I guess.

thekeg (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 08:08
I donít think RDP is in the South Africa squad currently

Crutch (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 08:52
Heís not, so pretty unlikely to be brought in at this stage.

Olyy (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 10:33
Quote:
Crutch
Heís not, so pretty unlikely to be brought in at this stage.

If he has a good Super rugby season he could easily make the squad, especially now that lambie has retired.

Elton janties doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I think we can absolutely have AJ, RdP and Wilkinson in the same squad.
Wilkinson has done well enough but he is still very young and has gotten his opportunities due to injuries rather than merit (as harsh as that sounds).
AJ is quite injury prone and, if we're aiming for top 6/champions cup rugby, I'd feel more confident in an RdP/Wilkinson 10 combo (if AJ is injured) than a Wilkinson/Sam James.

romanfaithfull (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 10:37
I agree - if you look at the top clubs in Europe they almost always have 2 quality 10s, which we would certainly have in RDP and AJ.

H's D (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 11:26
The top clubs in Europe have considerably larger squads.
Has Dimes announced that he is going to change the club's policy w.r.t. limiting squad numbers? In a sense, if he does, it might reduce one of the attractive features of signing for Sale: that you will probably get significantly more game time than at bigger clubs!

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 11:34
Does Cameron Redpath play 10? I can't see him getting much of a chance in the centre, but he's an obvious talent.

22 January, 2019 11:40
Quote:
FarnhamShark
Does Cameron Redpath play 10? I can't see him getting much of a chance in the centre, but he's an obvious talent.

He's a 12/15/10 as far as I understand. No reason why he couldn't become a Premiership centre or 15, particularly given Ashton's age (31); the injury record of RJVR; and the likelihood that JOC will move on at some point.

Give these young players time to develop before pinning them to a position.

clutch (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 12:09
Pretty clear from Diamond that Redpath has, or very soon, will replace Jennings as 3rd choice 12. He needs to stick to a position rather than moving around in my opinion.

Think we are still operating on 35 man squad. So 2 in each position.

The Eggchasers were suggesting Rob wouldnít be available until 18 months from now, or at least thatís when his contract ends.

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 17:13
Quote:
StalyShark
Has anyone mentioned Aaron Cruden yet...
[www.rugbypass.com]

Well with Dyson moving his HQ to Singapore for long term financial reasons, not Brexit of course, I hear the Barrf fans are dumping their Dyson's and buying Sharks, so doubt they will have the money for Cruden!

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

emerging shark (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 19:46
Does Dyson know something we don't? Trade deals?

H's D (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 22:45
Dyson knows that (a post-Brexit) Britain can't compete with places like Singapore for a company HQ. Much of his manufacturing is already in the far east, and so are his biggest potential markets.

ale shark (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 09:58
Quote:
romanfaithfull
I agree - if you look at the top clubs in Europe they almost always have 2 quality 10s, which we would certainly have in RDP and AJ.

Not sure I agree, you need a defined number 1 fly-half who plays 70-80% of competitive minutes. Based on the admittedly small evidence I've seen I know which one seems to gives us a more solid foundation. One of them would have to settle for 20-30% game time. It would be impossible to train and game plan if they're both 50/50 players. All in my opinion of course.

Dyson products are overpriced and the competitors have largely caught up, his UK market is in decline regardless. Hopefully the R&D will largely remain in the UK, donít care about the whereabouts of the financial HQ.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 12:31
Singapore has a free-trade deal with the EU.

clutch (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 13:10
I agree. Apart from Farrell and Hodgson I canít thibk of a 50/50 combo that has worked.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 13:34
The financial HQ will be paying corporation tax to the country it is in. We (as a country) will lose some revenue.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 13:42
Quote:
clutch
I agree. Apart from Farrell and Hodgson I canít thibk of a 50/50 combo that has worked.

That worked because of the age disparity. The problem lies when there are two of equal ability and age. AJ is nearly 29 and Rob dP is 25 I think so not ideal unless thereís a clear role for each in the plans for certain games.

H's D (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 14:20
Corporation tax is lower at 17% in Singapore. Dyson will also be saving 3% Tax.

Post-Brexit Britain will not initially have a free-trade deal with Singapore. It will join the incredibly long list of countries that will queue to negotiate trade deals with Britain, which simply does not have anywhere near enough experienced trade deal negotiators.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 17:00
Please don't let Wigansaler's rather witty post unintentionally turn this thread into a Brexit debate!

clutch (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 18:01
Keep on topic.

Fly half means fly half!

thekeg (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 21:48
Simmonds and Steenson a recent example that seems to work, but again itís similar to Hodgson and Farrell in terms of age. I think we do need another option, I guess ideally the other option could slot into another position as well. That is the case with the two successful partnerships mentioned above

Personally I think Iíd be happy if we went with RDP and backed him as our first choice, even if ultimately that meant macginty got less game time. Macginty might not quite be a top 4 standard 10, plus heís often away and has a pretty average injury record.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 09:15
sounds like the South African lad and Wilkinson are the way forward

clutch (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 09:18
Plus, there was always that suggestion that Lam wanted him back. Maybe that means Bristol will overpay for him. Not that Bristol would ever do that!!

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 09:45
AJ put in a huge amount of dogged, determined hard work, over an extended period, to overcome the "underwhelmed" response of many of us. He eventually succeeded, and with more to come, if the comments on here from just before his injury are anything to go by.

It would seem a particularly heartless form of selective amnesia to just discard him now, without at least an opportunity to resume his improvement, just because we've seen a potential replacement, impressive in the short-term, who MIGHT be prepared to join us.

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 10:10
Quote:
ageinghoody
AJ put in a huge amount of dogged, determined hard work, over an extended period, to overcome the "underwhelmed" response of many of us. He eventually succeeded, and with more to come, if the comments on here from just before his injury are anything to go by.
It would seem a particularly heartless form of selective amnesia to just discard him now, without at least an opportunity to resume his improvement, just because we've seen a potential replacement, impressive in the short-term, who MIGHT be prepared to join us.

Concur!

thekeg (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 11:02
Not sure anyone is suggesting we discard, merely suggesting that some competition there isnít a bad idea. We have to be ruthless in identifying areas that could be improved if the right payer is available at the right price. We brought in yards even though mcguigsn was playing really well, thatís worked out really well current injury aside

clutch (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:03
Equally if we sign 2 locks Beaumont might not be first choice next season.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:09
Players want to play but they also donít want to be flogged to death. If Jonny Sexton could choose between playing every game or being picked selectively and enjoying club and country success, itís a no-brainer. Itís clear that many rugby players are unhappy at the horlicks being made of managing their welfare and stretching out the season, so itís not unreasonable to assume that theyíd welcome being able to focus on giving their all in fewer matches. Having depth in the squad is needed to provide that whilst keeping a side competitive and the emphasis then turns to the players competing to be the ones that are called on for the bigger matches rather than being given the reins for rotation reasons.

Opening up the AJ argument is a foolís errand - heís proved his worth to the club. RdP has also shown his skills and personally, I think itíll be great for our ambitions to have both of them in competition.

Olyy (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:23
Aye, I think we're forgetting just how good a fit and firing AJ is, because he's been out injured so long.
He's put in some outstanding performances in a Sale shirt.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 08:30
If we want to be in the top 4 and in the European cup, wouldn't that mean that we have to attract international standard players, who then might be away for their country? Which then means you need quality alternatives when they are away.

ale shark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 09:47
Edit...... Wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2019 09:54 by ale shark.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 10:58
Looks like weíll see Paddy Jackson at the AJ Bell next year:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

emerging shark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 16:27
Let's not open this old chestnut again....they were not guilty in a court of law.. I know I know I know....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net