rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Joe Launchbury
RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 11:57
So, Joe Launchbury again linked to a £500k contract with us. Rugby Pass have stated that heís unhappy with the list of high profile players leaving Wasps and that we are after him.

Few thoughts, firstly I think that whilst we went after him once and he re signed with them, the player departures and the lack of decent training ground STILL, as well as the financial uncertainty may well make it more likely this time around.

Secondly, whilst he has performed fantastically for Wasps when fit, he has had some injury plagued seasons. I often think a fresh start is a catalyst for a player getting back to his top levels and getting the game time in.

Thirdly, we have are starting to show that we are a very good side and should only get better with the rumoured signings. I hope that the re signings of the big names will be an attraction for others.

Finally, Manchester vs Coventry = no contest. I know most of the Wasps lads live in Leamington Spa is it, but we have some quality spots and a bit more up here for him.

PS. Heís currently only on £270,00, so virtually doubling his pay surely wonít hurt

Re: Joe Launchbury
clutch (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:09
How the heck is their captain on such a small wage.
Iím believing the front row rumours but Iím sort of ignoring the second row ones. We are being linked with everyone.

Personally, I think Launchbury is class but in terms of availability v value etc I think Attwood would be a better signing. Assuming he stays fit.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:14
I donít think Jono Ross will be on anything more than 250/300. There are only a few top players commanding the 400 plus amount

Olyy (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:43
Is this going to be the new annual rumour, taking over from Kyle Eastmond?

dinogyro (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 12:49
If you grossed £250000 a year and paid full tax in the UK, you would take home about £143,000 a year. Over a ten year career you would make £1.43 million. If you earned £30,000 a year take home, it would take you nearly 48 years to earn that amount.

I hope other people are interested in this, or I am just weird.

ale shark (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 13:34
oooohh, is Kyle Eastmond avaliable??? Not getting much game time at Tigers these days.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 14:14
Quote:
dinogyro
If you grossed £250000 a year and paid full tax in the UK, you would take home about £143,000 a year. Over a ten year career you would make £1.43 million. If you earned £30,000 a year take home, it would take you nearly 48 years to earn that amount.
I hope other people are interested in this, or I am just weird.
No and yes, but not in that order. (Just in case you haven't got my drift, yes, of interest and no, you are not just weird (i before e except after c, except when it isn't - now that is weird.)

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 19:38
Launchbury is a fantastic player and would be a great signing. However, with international duties and his injury record, how many times would he actually feature for us?

If one of the reasons we are attracting the interest of some of these big name stars is because we have salary cap to fill, and are now in the position that we can actually fill it, then we need to be careful how we do that. In many respects, I would rather bring in a Dave Attwood, on less money and who will be available for the whole season, than a Joe Launchbury on (allegedly) a huge wage and who will only play half a season.

Nice problem to have though and it would be difficult to say no to Launchbury I guess!!

HartfordShark (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 19:52
If it's true and if it happens (I'm really stressing the "if" here) I would be praying he doesn't turn out like Richie Gray!

thekeg (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:19
Launchbury has a huge work ethic, canít see him becoming a Ritchie Gray if we signed him

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:53
Quote:
HartfordShark
If it's true and if it happens (I'm really stressing the "if" here) I would be praying he doesn't turn out like Richie Gray!

Absolutely no chance

Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 21:29
Just a quick point re Kyle Eastmond deferred to above, heís had an injury and a (harsh) ban. Has impressed when given the chance earlier in the season.

Ps I would like to think we were in for Launchbury if he is unsettled but thereís no word about it. Would be a great signing for you guys

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 04:15
I understand the reservations over Launchbury's recent injury record and likely time away with England, but on top of his game he is one of the best locks in world rugby, we would have to take him if available. One thing I am certain Dimes wouldn't do, no matter how high his budget, is over pay for anyone, he will demand value.

I would be delighted with either one of Attwood or Launchbury, just that little bit more delighted with Joe.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

ale shark (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 09:55
In the last 6 seasons you needed 15 wins to be sure of a top 4 finish. Sometimes 14 is enough.

This season 6 league games are on during the AIs and 6N meaning if you're packed full of internationals you only get your optimum available selection for 16 league games (assuming 4 AIs and no selection during the 6N off weeks). I assume that is typical of other previous seasons, not bothered to check.

You also have the maximum game numbers a player can play in a season to worry about (I donít know what a season is or if the rule applies to a calendar year). I donít know if this is RFU or World Rugby rules. From next season its 30 lots of 80 mins or 35 matchday squads. England play 11-12 games a year.

England players should be available for at least 15 rounds of the prem, the play offs and all of a Europe campaign.

Iím rambling.

bigfecker (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 10:06
If you get Launchbury, he is a top, top player, will be sadly missed by Wasps. He lifts the whole side to give more. Not a vocal captain, but leads by example and is highly motivated and always gives 100%. Definitely a cut above Attwood, who is a good player.

thekeg (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 10:12
Ostrikov, who heíd effectively be replacing, also missed games due to internationals and has a mixed injury record, we would still have good players like Phillips to fall back on when away. We donít want to be too packed out with internationals, itís just getting the balance right.

clutch (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 10:23
Unless Eddie picks Phillips.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 11:07
I'd be confident we could help Launchbury stay fit and on the park, less confident he'd be value for money at the reported salary as he'd still be absent with England and have to play more games than other squad members. He's clearly quality however.

FOr me, I think the gap between he and Attwood is slim enough to make Attwood the better pickup at likely a much lower figure.

Unless we're looking at both of course. But that would then make the du Preez triple threat less likely.

clutch (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:09
I agree. I think Attwood would be great. Happy with either obviously!!!
Depends when Du Preez are potentially arriving of course. It may not be for start of next year. Some current players may well leave as well.

steve from cov (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:27
Joe and Wasps have just released a joint statement that Joe is going nowhere and will be at Wasps next season.

Sorry fellas but you have signed one top player from us in JCW.

Huge relief for us Wasps fans. His departure would have been tragic.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

clutch (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 18:51
Anyone else we can grab?

steve from cov (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 19:25
Quote:
clutch
Anyone else we can grab?

Wow. Weíve lost a few stellar players recently - Wade, Hughes, JCW, WLR and Stuart - with Daley expected to go too. We are feeling very vulnerable at the moment and not confident they can be replaced before next season.

Wasps are going through a period of transition right now and the retention of Joe gives us something to be positive about.

I realise we have nicked quite a few of your best players too so we wish you well. Your club seems to be in the ascendancy right now. Good luck.

BenHK (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 05:32
Can we reclaim TT, Miller and McIntyre please.And Gaskell whilst we're at it please.

yukon (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 10:47
Quote:
BenHK
Can we reclaim TT, Miller and McIntyre please.And Gaskell whilst we're at it please.

I think weíve got better than Miller

27 January, 2019 16:26
Not really too bothered about any of them unless TT stays fit for a season.

I rather like one (major) club players like Cueto and now Launchbury. It's great that so many of Exeter's players were there from the start of the rise.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 17:21
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
BenHK

I think weíve got better than Miller

I agree. He was never a regular starter when he was with us before. I know he has had his injury problems since joining Wasps but they don't particularly wax lyrical about him on their forum. Shame really because he undoubtedly has/had talent but, for whatever reason, it still seems to be unrealized potential.

Barend (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 18:37
I think of that bunch, McIntyre is the only one who has kicked on (in rugby terms) since moving.

Gaskell was captain of the England Saxons* when at Sale, now struggled with injuries and has been in and out of the team. No further recognition for England.

Taylor has been perma-crocked and is now seemingly way down the pecking order. Even trickier when behind the England captain and a Lions test starting hooker for the national team.

Miller been injured too I think. He was the leading try scorer for a bit when he was with us and we moved him from a fly half to a wing/full back. Called up to Saxons too. Done nowt special since.

At Sale now, they'd be pretty good squad players, but for me the jury is out as to whether they have 'improved'. Depends on your definition I guess. Does watching your team from the sidelines getting battered by Leinster in the Heineken Cup improve your own game?

*I appreciate it is difficult given the Saxons no longer exist.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 18:45
It is impossible to know of course if their careers might have progressed further had they stayed with us. All claimed that they left to further their careers at a 'bigger' club. Clearly that hasn't happened for a variety of reasons. I would be happy to have TT and Jamma back anyway, if they could be nursed back to fitness.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 19:48
All bar McIntyre have nose drived since going to Wasps thereís not even an argument. Nearly all injured, all the time. Never so at Sale. If you asked any of them (receiving an honest answer) I bet none of them would gone if they had known how the past few years have worked out, especially with our new owners.

The only one who would significantly add to our team at the moment would be TT, imagine Webber starting (with current form) and TT coming off the bench. Thatís the stuff of naughty rugby dreams.

ale shark (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 20:08
Quote:
Barend
... for me the jury is out as to whether they have 'improved'. Depends on your definition I guess.

They'll certainly have improved their bank balances. For many, as an employee, that's enough.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 20:09
Wasnít Cruise also ex-Sale? He seems to have done rather well

thekeg (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 21:25
Yes, Iíd argue cruse is the really big success story of our old boys down there.

Olyy (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 21:46
Aye, Cruse has been really good for Wasps.

Thought it was pretty ironic when he initially signed for them - He left us because Taylor overtook him. Moved to Roterham then Not Nots before signing for Wasps...who Tommy Taylor then signed for as first choice.

Worked out alright for him in the end, though, as Taylor is almost constantly injured (52 appearances for Cruse, 41 for Taylor)

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
27 January, 2019 23:54
My all seems to have performed well and consistently at Wasps, but whether he has improved is moot. Seems to have stayed fit.
I recall Miller was exciting at wing and fullback. He had real gas, solid under the high ball and a very good boot on him. His defence was a bit suspect. He seemed more at home in the back three than at fly half. IIRC he has played a fair proportion of his games at 10, and has of course been behind Cipriani, Wade and le Roux in his positions - so perhaps not surprising he hasnít featured more frequently behind those galacticos. While we are blessed with a surfeit of quality back three players he would probably be surplus to requirements, but imho there arenít many other premiership xvís Where he wouldnít get a load more game time outside ourselves and Wasps.

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 15:23
Quote:
StalyShark
All bar McIntyre have nose drived since going to Wasps thereís not even an argument. Nearly all injured, all the time. Never so at Sale. If you asked any of them (receiving an honest answer) I bet none of them would gone if they had known how the past few years have worked out, especially with our new owners.

Hang on fella, doesn't sound like a statement built on fact.

Mac has been as injured as any of them, maybe more so, so how has he kicked improved? TT got injured with England long term then got concussed during a game, these are not club specific, noting he was with the national team, so clearly kicked on.
Gamma has a long term back/nerve issue that isn't resolving, again not a direct attributed to anything.
Over these years you speak of they have been in a team that played reg in Europe and reached finals and semi's. The fact they have all re-signed tells you they are happy with their moves.

ale shark (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 15:45
Hymenoptera - Do Wasps still train on a pub car park or have they got their own facilities yet? Might exacerbate some of the injuries.

clutch (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 16:42
I wonder if Wasps getting Gaskell to put a load of weight on has caused him problems.

Crutch (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:01
Would likely have had the same issues if heíd stayed with us, like with Nott.

I think the whole idea of moving to another Prem club to improve as a player is a bit of a fallacy to be honest.

You may move to a better team, in which case your own strengths may stand out more, or be playing in more high profile games to get more exposure.

Possibly you could move to a team whose playing style suits you better, but ultimately I donít see coaches at different teams making a fundamental improvement to a players skillset/conditioning once theyre already of Prem standard.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:33
Quote:
Crutch
I think the whole idea of moving to another Prem club to improve as a player is a bit of a fallacy to be honest.

You may move to a better team, in which case your own strengths may stand out more, or be playing in more high profile games to get more exposure.

Possibly you could move to a team whose playing style suits you better, but ultimately I donít see coaches at different teams making a fundamental improvement to a players skillset/conditioning once theyre already of Prem standard.

Unless your James Phillips aka Super James Phillips, who seems to have come along very nicely since joining us from Barf.

yukon (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:36
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
StalyShark

Mac has been as injured as any of them, maybe more so, so how has he kicked improved? TT got injured with England long term then got concussed during a game, these are not club specific, noting he was with the national team, so clearly kicked on.
Gamma has a long term back/nerve issue that isn't resolving, again not a direct attributed to anything.
Over these years you speak of they have been in a team that played reg in Europe and reached finals and semi's. The fact they have all re-signed tells you they are happy with their moves.

So what youíre saying is theyíre a bunch of crocks and we are better off without? Agreed.

Yareet (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 17:50
Quote:
Crutch

Horse seems to have kicked on somewhat since he came to us.

And Yarde seems happier.

Cips arguably sorted himself out.

Dan Mugford Iíd argue would never reach his potential playing for Dimes.

On a wider note, Eddie managed to turn round the England team pretty quickly.

Gustard seems to be doing the same at Quins.

I think a coach can have a massive impact just as a line manager can in any environment. Most people will have a favourite boss or even teacher.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 18:26
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
Crutch

And Yarde seems happier.

I think a coach can have a massive impact just as a line manager can in any environment. Most people will have a favourite boss or even teacher.

Not sure that Mugford was ever Premiership quality. Dimes or no Dimes. There doesnt seem to be a queue of Prem clubs being linked with him atm

Crutch (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 18:48
Quote:
Flumpty

Unless your James Phillips aka Super James Phillips, who seems to have come along very nicely since joining us from Barf.

I think James is great, but for me his improvement comes mostly from getting more regular game time with us than he did at Bath. This is often the case with players on the chunkier side - Rooney was similar for Utd.

If we sign a couple of locks in the summer and heís less of a first team fixture Iíd anticipate his performances to slip back again.

Crutch (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 19:02
Quote:
Yareet

And Yarde seems happier.

England have also had a bit of a crash and Gustards results have been pretty patchy to be honest, so I think you help make my point. Yes of course the coach can help with a players mental state or improve a playing environment, or teach new moves, but that doesnít fundamentally change the players ability, otherwise the performances of England and Quins would remain more consistent.

Yarde had all the attributes before, he wasnít happy where he was. Byron has had more chances to play as with Phillips. Cips always had mad skills.

My point is saying that the players who moved to Wasps
failed to kick on as players is a bit irrelevant. Saying they failed to win trophies and get England recognition is fair enough.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 19:15
Quote:
Crutch

I would say that the quality of off field stuff like physio availability and medical facilities such as alt-g treadmills can vary significantly between clubs, stuff like that is hard to quantify, but will make a difference to a player in terms of ability to consistently play to their potential, as well as long term injury rates.

It is also outside of the salary cap, so is easy to cut back on, if money becomes tight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2019 19:19 by fatheralice.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 19:24
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
StalyShark

It isnít based on fact no, but how many times has TT played for England whilst at Wasps? 100% of his caps were as a Sale player. Not had a look in since.
Gaskell is no where near the England second row whereas when he was a Saxon with Sale you would imagine he would have been somewhere near the reckoning.

BenHK (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 05:14
Quote:
Crutch
I donít see coaches at different teams making a fundamental improvement to a players skillset/conditioning once theyre already of Prem standard.

He may not be head coach, but I would say our forward play has improved massively since West joined as forwards coach. Think a good coach can make all the difference and get more out of the players

MikeGC (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 09:32
Coaches clearly have a big role to play

e.g. Richie Gray - good international player, good pre Sharks and good post Sharks
I understand many dismiss the lad but he was playing the role that the DoR required but it was clearly the wrong role as it failed to use him to Sharks best advantage

MikeGC (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 09:32

e.g. Richie Gray - good international player, good pre Sharks and good post Sharks
I understand many dismiss the lad but he was playing the role that the DoR required but it was clearly the wrong role as it failed to use him to Sharks best advantage

Flumpty (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 10:32
Quote:
MikeGC

I disagree, he played the Invisible Man role magnificently. Game after game I went to Sale and watched 14 players and an empty shirt.

That isn't quite true - I can remember one good game that he played in. It was when John Mitchell had perfected his scary look and he freely used it.

thekeg (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 10:49
I think this discussion shows that there are lots of reasons why moving clubs can improve a playersís perfornsnce

Their actual skill level improved due to different coaching methods
They happen to get more game time and this improves fiitnrss/confidence
They feel happier on an emotional level with the coach/club/players/location
They fit in better with the playing style/team mates

Iím sure there are others, but just pointing out that players have performed better at new clubs doesnít mean crutch is wrong about them not necessarily improving their personal skill set, itís often just about getting the most out of what they already possess

clutch (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 12:07
Yes. In the case of Diamond his player improvements are mainly mental. Westís coaching has definitely improved the team but that doesnít mean that it improves the player necessarily.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 12:20
Remember watching Gray warming up pre match on his own with a personal trainer and thinking that's odd and perhaps he won't fit in.

Same thoughts immediately occurred with Mujati when in his first home game he had shot down the players tunnel to the dressing rooms within 30 seconds of the final whistle going

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2019 17:57 by ashtonshark.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 18:37
Fissler saying on Twitter that Dave Attwood is off to Bristol for next season. Would like to see him here. Just the sort of player we could do with.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 08:52
Quote:
ashtonshark
Same thoughts immediately occurred with Mujati when in his first home game he had shot down the players tunnel to the dressing rooms within 30 seconds of the final whistle going

Probably in a hurry to update his Social Media. Priorities and all that!

clutch (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 09:54
Just think he was a slightly odd character. Doesnít mean there was an issue. Not sure his heart was in it anymore which is why he wasnít great.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 10:05
I think you are right and his priorities had changed since his days at Saints. Probably the same issue in France

From his videos his priorities were clearly brewing and bodybuilding with rugby a distant 3rd. Thats fine and i''m sure there are many of us that much prefer to do things other than our jobs but we have to do our jobs properly in order to fund doing the stuff we like doing and to eran a living

ale shark (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 10:19
Mujati - He gives some great BBQing advice. An inspirational figure for me last year. I would never have attempted a 12hr Boston butt without his input. It was truly magnificent.

H's D (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 08:33
Quote:
Quote:
ashtonshark

Probably in a hurry to update his Social Media. Priorities and all that!

I was told he had to rush off to look after his kids, as Chenesai was otherwise engaged.
He had only recently arrived and hadn't been able to organise a support network.
Understandable I would have thought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net