rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.


Our owners deserve considerable praise.
H's D (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 13:29
Missive this morning re Home quartewr final.
Quote:
S.S. Management
After successfully progressing through the pool stages of the European Challenge Cup, we now have a home Quarter Final match against Connacht on Friday 29th March, K-O 19.45 and we hope that you are eager to join us in the hunt for silverware.
As this match is not included in the Season Ticket package; Sale Sharks owners, Simon Orange and Ged Mason are giving our Season Ticket holders 50% off their seat ticket price, plus any additional adult tickets will be at the usual ST Discount rate of 20% off. If you would like to bring friends to this match the sooner you book, the better the chance you have of them being seated near you.

Going above and beyond what we can reasonably expect.(Sm152)thumbs downsmileys with beer

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 13:35
Good post H'sD. Couldn't agree more. How many other clubs' owners would make a similar gesture. Many thanks SO and GM.

Having listened to SO on the Shark Tank podcast, and witnessing him putting his money where his mouth is, I am really optimistic for the future.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2019 13:36 by Chris1850.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
ashtonshark (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 14:51
(Sm152)

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
dinogyro (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 15:05
I think it's amazing that they are putting so much money (and presumably time) into the club.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
ale shark (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 15:30
It will be a real barometer of enthusiasm in the club. We got a home quarter in 2016, only 4,557 turned up. Of that 23 only 3 or 4 are in the frame to play this time which is quite remarkable.

[www.salesharks.com]

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 18:14
How many of that 23 would get in our likely 23 this year? Haley, James, Cips, Harrison, Evans TT, Vadim? That's 7 out of 23 - shows how much we have strengthened in the last couple of years. Presumably Webber and Beaumont were injured at the time which would explain their absence

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
thekeg (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 18:36
Quote:
Chris1850
How many of that 23 would get in our likely 23 this year? Haley, James, Cips, Harrison, Evans TT, Vadim? That's 7 out of 23 - shows how much we have strengthened in the last couple of years. Presumably Webber and Beaumont were injured at the time which would explain their absence

Not convinced Haley would these days, Iíd have Ashton ahead of him at 15. His only chance would be as number 23 on the bench and I reckon that would probably be OíConnor currently if RJVR gets fit.

Cips TT and Vadim would definitely get into our current 23 of the lads who have left

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
emerging shark (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 21:00
Not convinced Haley would these days,completely disagree but we are all entitled to our opinions...

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
23Shark (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 22:03
Dont get me wrong I like Mike but it's a big statement to say he's a better full back than Ashton

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
thekeg (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 22:04
Quote:
emerging shark
Not convinced Haley would these days,completely disagree but we are all entitled to our opinions...

Of course smiling smiley

So would you select him ahead of Ashton at 15? Or on the bench?

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
franknfurter (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 04:03
Big thumbs up to our owners smiling smiley

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
clutch (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 07:16
Haley at FB and Ashton on the wing?

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Barend (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 07:56
The more you hear from Simon and Ged, the better they seem. Seems like a great idea and hopefully the crowd swells a little.

For a bit of fun, here's the side from that game:

15. Mike Haley, 14. Tom Brady, 13. Sam James, 12. Johnny Leota 11. Nev Edwards, 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Peter Stringer, 1. Ross Harrison 2. Tommy Taylor 3. Vadim Cobilas , 4. Bryn Evans, 5. Andrei Ostrikov 6. Cameron Neild, 7. Magnus Lund (c) 8. TJ Ioane

Replacements: 16. Neil Briggs 17. Eifion Lewis Roberts 18. Brian Mujati , 19. Jonathan Mills 20. David Seymour 21. James Mitchell 22. Joe Ford, 23. Mark Jennings


As a combo of the two sides around now and all at the top of their game, I'd have this:
Haley, Solomona, James, van Rensburg, Ashton, Cipriani, de Klerk
Harrison, Taylor or Webber (I don't really mind), Cobilas, Beaumont, Evans, Ross, Curry, Strauss

5?

Edit - this is the Montpellier team. It is full of an awful lot of very large men.

15.Jesse Mogg, 14.Timoci Nagusa, 13.Anthony Tuitavake, 12.Frans Steyn, 11.Benjamin Fall, 10.Benjamin Lucas, 9.Benoit Paillaugue, 1. Mikheil Nariashvili, 2.Bismark Du Plessis, 3.Jannie Du Plessis, 4.Paul Willemse, 5.Thibaut Privat, 6.Fulgence Ouedraogo (capt), 7.Wiaan Liebenberg, 8.Akapusi Qera.

Replacements: 16.Mickael Ivaldi, 17.Yvan Watremez, 18. Davit Kubriashvili, 19. Robins Tchale Watchou, 20.Kelian Galletier, 21.Cameron Wright, 22.Robert Ebersohn, 23.Anthony Floch



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2019 07:59 by Barend.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 08:18
Quote:
Barend
The more you hear from Simon and Ged, the better they seem. Seems like a great idea and hopefully the crowd swells a little.
For a bit of fun, here's the side from that game:

15. Mike Haley, 14. Tom Brady, 13. Sam James, 12. Johnny Leota 11. Nev Edwards, 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Peter Stringer, 1. Ross Harrison 2. Tommy Taylor 3. Vadim Cobilas , 4. Bryn Evans, 5. Andrei Ostrikov 6. Cameron Neild, 7. Magnus Lund (c) 8. TJ Ioane

Replacements: 16. Neil Briggs 17. Eifion Lewis Roberts 18. Brian Mujati , 19. Jonathan Mills 20. David Seymour 21. James Mitchell 22. Joe Ford, 23. Mark Jennings


As a combo of the two sides around now and all at the top of their game, I'd have this:
Haley, Solomona, James, van Rensburg, Ashton, Cipriani, de Klerk
Harrison, Taylor or Webber (I don't really mind), Cobilas, Beaumont, Evans, Ross, Curry, Strauss

5?

Edit - this is the Montpellier team. It is full of an awful lot of very large men.

15.Jesse Mogg, 14.Timoci Nagusa, 13.Anthony Tuitavake, 12.Frans Steyn, 11.Benjamin Fall, 10.Benjamin Lucas, 9.Benoit Paillaugue, 1. Mikheil Nariashvili, 2.Bismark Du Plessis, 3.Jannie Du Plessis, 4.Paul Willemse, 5.Thibaut Privat, 6.Fulgence Ouedraogo (capt), 7.Wiaan Liebenberg, 8.Akapusi Qera.

Replacements: 16.Mickael Ivaldi, 17.Yvan Watremez, 18. Davit Kubriashvili, 19. Robins Tchale Watchou, 20.Kelian Galletier, 21.Cameron Wright, 22.Robert Ebersohn, 23.Anthony Floch

Difficult to argue with your team Barend. The only slight concern would be relying on Cips to kick goals. Otherwise, that is a pretty formidable line up!

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Yareet (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 08:57
Quote:
Barend
The more you hear from Simon and Ged, the better they seem. Seems like a great idea and hopefully the crowd swells a little.
For a bit of fun, here's the side from that game:

15. Mike Haley, 14. Tom Brady, 13. Sam James, 12. Johnny Leota 11. Nev Edwards, 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Peter Stringer, 1. Ross Harrison 2. Tommy Taylor 3. Vadim Cobilas , 4. Bryn Evans, 5. Andrei Ostrikov 6. Cameron Neild, 7. Magnus Lund (c) 8. TJ Ioane

Replacements: 16. Neil Briggs 17. Eifion Lewis Roberts 18. Brian Mujati , 19. Jonathan Mills 20. David Seymour 21. James Mitchell 22. Joe Ford, 23. Mark Jennings

Itís the difference in the benchs that really illustrate the point to me. Assuming everyone is fit and we went with:

11. Horse
12. Rohan
13. Sam
14. Denny
15. Ashton

That could give us:

22. JOC
23. Yarde

With all due respect to Ford and Jennings, thatís a hell of a step up in quality.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
clutch (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 09:57
Yarde ahead of Mcguigan surely. Faf would kick goals ahead of Cipriani. Frankly it wouldnít really matter if we had those 2.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
ashtonshark (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 10:14
I'd have to fit JOC in somewhere. Probably instead of James. If we are saying they are all at the top of thief game then you can'tt leave proven class like that out and play James no matter how well James has done

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Yareet (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 17:25
So call it:

11. Yarde
12. Rohan
13. JOC
14. Denny
15. Ashton

22. S. James
23. Horse

Thatís still a markedly improved bench over Ford and Jennings.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 20:07
There were comfortably more than 4,550 at the ground for that Qf (or so it felt) - of course the search doesnít work so we canít recall the discussion that barely anyone believed the official figure given. I also recall being reffed off the park.

Great gesture by the owners to do this - hereís hoping us fans can make it an atmosphere to remember and cheer the boys on to a raucous victory.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 20:31
It really is a joke this selection thing. If you are going to do it compare like with like. the 2016 '23' is a solid number i.e. those who were unfit, banned or just rested were not included. The 2019 selection seems to include every player. Has Yarde suddenly been declared fit? The last I heard was that he was out all season, so how come he is bing selected? If fitness, or lack of it, is no bar then why isn't Addison included in the mix?

Also, is it just current form that matters? If so, then it's obvious that Lund, Stringer, Lewis-Roberts, Seymour and Mujati (others?) are hardly likely to be considered.

As regards Ashton v Haley: I would take Ashton, as long as he is keeping his head. So far he has accumulated bans totalling just about a complete season. Who's to say he won't have another of his red mist moments?

Incidentally, if you look at form just before, during and just after the Christmas periods of 2015 and 2018, there is little to choose between the two sides.

..and another good opening post hijacked.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2019 20:32 by DaveAitch.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 20:56
Quote:
Pappje
There were comfortably more than 4,550 at the ground for that Qf (or so it felt) - of course the search doesnít work so we canít recall the discussion that barely anyone believed the official figure given

2016 Attendance

(It's actually not too difficult to find a thread for which you have a reasonably accurate date. If on page 1 of the forum, press next page which then brings up "http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/list/s101.htm?104,page=2" in the title bar. Next manually change the page number to something more likely - I started at 20, went to 40, then 50 and then got to page 48 as being the one needed.

Incidentally, although the capacity of the stadium is given as 12,000, if you add up all those nice little dots on the seating you only get just over 11,000. So just what is an actual capacity gate? Also, there is an earlier thread by GOS, bemoaning the lack of apparent ticket sales for the game.)

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 21:10
Quote:
DaveAitch
It really is a joke this selection thing. If you are going to do it compare like with like. the 2016 '23' is a solid number i.e. those who were unfit, banned or just rested were not included. The 2019 selection seems to include every player. Has Yarde suddenly been declared fit? The last I heard was that he was out all season, so how come he is bing selected? If fitness, or lack of it, is no bar then why isn't Addison included in the mix?
Also, is it just current form that matters? If so, then it's obvious that Lund, Stringer, Lewis-Roberts, Seymour and Mujati (others?) are hardly likely to be considered.

As regards Ashton v Haley: I would take Ashton, as long as he is keeping his head. So far he has accumulated bans totalling just about a complete season. Who's to say he won't have another of his red mist moments?

Incidentally, if you look at form just before, during and just after the Christmas periods of 2015 and 2018, there is little to choose between the two sides.

..and another good opening post hijacked.

You have a good point about Addison

However, I think the general point is that the 2018/19 23 is rather stronger than the 2016 one. Obviously it is based on players form at the time in question. Stringer in his hey-day for example would clearly give Faf a run for his money and the same can be said for several other players. The point of the comparison is to illustrate how much stronger our first choice 23 today is compared to 2016.

Much of the credit for this goes to our owners over the last couple of years injecting cash and making Sale a club that top players want to join. And demonstrating their commitment to our excellent academy.

As far as hi-jacking the opening post is concerned that is more nonsense. This is simply recognising how the new owners have facilitated a better squad, as well as numerous other improvements and gestures to the fans. Not least the 1/2 price ticket offer. Or can we not recognise and thank them for these also?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2019 21:11 by Chris1850.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2019 21:17
Quote:
DaveAitch
although the capacity of the stadium is given as 12,000, if you add up all those nice little dots on the seating you only get just over 11,000.

Are you sure? Last time I added them up, there were 11,004. I will recount and come back to you in a week or so.........(Sm120)

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
H's D (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 08:18
Quote:
..and another good opening post hijacked.

Not really contentious enough to remain completely on topic I suppose.
Sometimes you just wish 100+ viewers would just post a single word of agreement to a well -intentioned thread. That would at least go someway to redressing the wider view of this 'negativity board'.

Discussions on how our squad has improved under current owners really deserves a thread of it's own. Considering they are now apparently spending "up to the cap" just like most other clubs it's not really " above and beyond".



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2019 08:23 by H's D.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
thekeg (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 10:26
We arenít spending up to the cap now, but I think we will be next year

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Crutch (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 10:41
I agree this is an excellent gesture and hopefully itíll encourage a larger crowd, but itís a real struggle in this competition, as it just gets zero exposure compared to the top tier comp.

Definitely very encouraged about the owners with regards to:

- Selected big name recruitment
- Best players and young local talent secured on long contracts
- enthusiasm of SO

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
31 January, 2019 11:03
Since they can't legitimately count all ST holders as present for these games the official attendance tends to be more accurate than for GP games. It also means that all revenue is from ticket sales for the actual game - hence the need to garner as much revenue as possible. It's better to sell tickets at lower prices than sell none at all.



There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 14:12
But are there any in Antarctica?


Back on topic. Excellent initiative, surely nothing to be negative about other than not being in a position to take advantage of the offer.



Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Olyy (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 15:45
Speaking of our owners elevating our status:

Fissler has just tweeted that he's stunned at a (near) signing rumour he's heard - the tweet has been liked by the official sale account and Sam diamond
Start the rumour mill up!

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
31 January, 2019 16:16
Quote:
Olyy
Speaking of our owners elevating our status:
Fissler has just tweeted that he's stunned at a (near) signing rumour he's heard - the tweet has been liked by the official sale account and Sam diamond
Start the rumour mill up!

And it now appears that the 2 Tweets have now been deleted adding even more suspicion ( or at least I hope) that the signing involves Sale !

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
31 January, 2019 16:21
Quote:
Newcastle under Lyme RUFC Shark
Quote:
Olyy
Speaking of our owners elevating our status:
Fissler has just tweeted that he's stunned at a (near) signing rumour he's heard - the tweet has been liked by the official sale account and Sam diamond
Start the rumour mill up!

And it now appears that the 2 Tweets have now been deleted adding even more suspicion ( or at least I hope) that the signing involves Sale !

Ignore previous- likes are still there ! Still getting used to new phone - apologies

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
thekeg (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 19:16
Quote:
Olyy
Speaking of our owners elevating our status:
Fissler has just tweeted that he's stunned at a (near) signing rumour he's heard - the tweet has been liked by the official sale account and Sam diamond
Start the rumour mill up!

Wasnít there some wild speculation about Brodie Retallick....?

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
StalyShark (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 19:25
Was there any detail?

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
31 January, 2019 19:37
Retallick rumour was being banded about in Galway after the Connacht game and seems to be gathering pace again following Fisslers Tweet.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
clutch (IP Logged)
31 January, 2019 20:47
Would he get in the team though.

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
yukon (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 10:02
Quote:
clutch
Would he get in the team though.

Yes, yes he would

 
Re: Our owners deserve considerable praise.
Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 19:03
Or it couldíve been Nick Phipps being announced by Irish?


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?