rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

TOM CURRY take a bow
Bill the chip (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 18:41
Forgive my invasion of your board! Iím a mental London Irish fan but an even more mental Englishman.... I know itís a long story..... Iíve felt the need to come over a say how outstanding Tom has been today! In an exceptional English performance across the team , he has shone bright. Imense !!!

Re: TOM CURRY take a bow
Olyy (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 18:45
I thought he was excellent today.

I don't even bedrudge him the card - if they'd have used the tmo he'd have been fine, they only produced the yellow because the touch judge said it was a shoulder charge, but replays showed it was fine, just marginally late.

Massive shift on defence and a constant nuisance at the breakdown, his stats must be through the roof

02 February, 2019 18:57
Yep, great game from Tom AND all the rest. C'mon England, we stuck it up the second ranked team in the world. Keep it up.
(Sm128)

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:04
Totally agree olyy! Probably no card if theyíd had a 2nd look

Crutch (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:31
Outstanding England performance across the board.

Built on immense defence, but also some incisive attacking at the right times.

Ben Youngís decision making and kicking superb.

LJK (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:49
A superb performance from him and the youngest player and with the least caps across both sides. He just never stops looking for work. Sir Clive W. gave him a special mention at the end of the game.

02 February, 2019 20:04
Any chance of Eddie Jones doing the cricket as well?

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

H's D (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 20:29
Huge respect to Jones for physically and mentally preparing them brilliantly and giving Slade another opportunity to shine at 13.
Daly shone at fullback, in fact the whole backline looked very accomplished. After that performance they may well have pencilled themselves in for the world cup. Tuilagi and Slade slotted together perfectly, even though it was their first game together.

clutch (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 21:51
Having Manu and Billy back makes all the difference.

yukon (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 23:01
Iíd argue England would have beaten any team in the world today. Insenity, focus and execution were off the chart. Simply sublime and TC was right there in the ratings.

Nice one Bill the Chip

H's D (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 23:08
Naah yukon: Accrington Stanley would have given them a lesson in the round ball game!(Sm100)
............and Poynton Ladies Lacrosse team would have battered them!!(Sm6)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2019 23:10 by H's D.

yukon (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 23:41
Quote:
H's D
Naah yukon: Accrington Stanley would have given them a lesson in the round ball game!(Sm100) ............and Poynton Ladies Lacrosse team would have battered them!!(Sm6)

As admin, I can delete your posts you know!?! (Sm22)

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 08:37
Twitter quite amusing yesterday in that Ben Curry clearly looking out for mentions of his bro and took the mickey out of keyboard warriors whoíd been disparaging him, such as the one who opened that TC would be the one getting schooled by OíMahony at every ruck.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 09:25
Guardian player ratings give Tom 6/10
What match were they watching FFS!

He was immense and it was not a high tackle!

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:27
I thought Curry was the best player on the pitch first half. He was a little quiter second half, relatively. They also gave Youngs 6. Who I thought was v good.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:27
Sunday Times give him 7/10. Stephen Jones.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:34
Quote:
ashtonshark
Guardian player ratings give Tom 6/10
What match were they watching FFS!

He was immense and it was not a high tackle!

They mentioned his early penalty and card and that he "settled" later on
If that performance was simply him settling then God help the opposition if he has a 7, 8, 9 or 10 out of 10 game!

Monty9 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:37
The large contingent of Irish fans I found myself surrounded by were extremely complimentary of Curry after tha game, one even said future world player of the year!

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:40
And Stephen Jones is always wrong.

yukon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 12:15
TRP gave him 8.5

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 14:04
Worth nothing. Their ratings are a shambles. Mind you thatís down to clearly no one actually watching the games they rate.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 14:47
I think it's hard to give a relevant score to each player. The journo only has so much time to file their copy, so inevitably some scores are 'seat of the pants'.

I was slightly surprised Mako was MOM, as I spent a lot of time watching Tom. Tom played briliantly.

I thought Jamie George had a very good game too.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 15:16
Thought slade was close to MoM, he had some really good moments, showed a lot more strength than I thought he had. Also a mention for Fazís pass for our first try

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:46
Who did the ST give a 10/10 to? Jones was puffing it on twitter as only the second max score given out by the paper.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 17:59
Mako Vunipola, I believe

Anna59 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:08
Tom was great but other good news from the weekend was that AJ played 65 minutes for the eagles ,scoring 3 tries and kicking 5 from 7.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:13
Quote:
Anna59
Tom was great but other good news from the weekend was that AJ played 65 minutes for the eagles ,scoring 3 tries and kicking 5 from 7.

Yes. Byron was lamenting his 3 tries on Twitter saying how unbearable AJ will be for the next few weeks!

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:02
Certainly great news that AJ and RJVR have come through their comeback games.

H's D (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 23:16
I thought Curry was penalised for a late tackle, the referee indicating his use of his shoulder was unnecessary, indicating he that had made no attempt to avoid late contact and pull out of the hit.

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 23:32
Partially correct. It was the touch judge. Who was clearly incorrect. I donít mind the refs not going to the TMO though. Have to back the TMO. The problem was from the TMOs view it probably looked bad.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 02:36
I agree, I don't mind the on pitch officials backing themselves more often, even when it is frustrating if you believe they have made a mistake.

I'm still unclear as to the TMO remit, but they seem to offer their opinion if they think the ref has got something very wrong. This was a marginal one, as live I thought "Tom's in trouble here, that looked late and possibly high". Replays showed it clearly wasn't high and I didn't think particularly late (certainly much later tackles have and will continue to go unpunished), not a clear error to warrant a TMO interjection. Shame for Tom, but he clearly didn't let it bother him.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 09:01
Quote:
dinogyro
... I spent a lot of time watching Tom...

But then we would, wouldn't we?

Maybe if someone is avoidably absent from the pitch for a period then it's logical to reduce their rating by a proportional amount. After all, for one eight of the match TC was scoring zero,

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 09:18
Totally agree, ageing.

In real time the tackle looked late and high. I don't think replays dispelled either aspect completely. A yellow card seemed right to me. By the way, all those who say it wasn't high, without looking it up, please give the current definition of a high tackle.

Overall, Curry did well enough, as did all the team. He certainly wasn't one of the stand-out performers, though.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 10:13
A high tackle is above the line of the shoulders

I agree that at full speed on first viewing it didn't look good at all. I think it was probably the way Earls fell due to the force with which he was hit and that he was a little off balance that made it look bad. But the replays show both of Curry's arm are clearly below the line of the shoulders so no high tackle

Probably a just tad late though. Still think just a penalty would have been sufficient on review

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 10:16 by ashtonshark.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 10:19
Just watched it again and it looks as though both of Earls feet are off the ground just after kicking the ball as Curry tackles him (below the line of the shoulders) hence why he went over so badly.

So is that counted as tackling someone in the air or not?

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 14:13
Bearing in mind Tom was off the pitch for 10 minutes, his stats are very impressive indeed:

[pbs.twimg.com]

yukon (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:19
Standerís out for 4 weeks (facial injury)as a result of his battle with Tom. Obviously Iím not happy CJ is hurt, heís a great player a Lion and the tournament is better with him in it, but he is hard as nails and the power and aggression TC possesses is staggering.

isitme (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 21:11
Quote:
Chris1850
Bearing in mind Tom was off the pitch for 10 minutes, his stats are very impressive indeed:
[pbs.twimg.com]

Those stats look iffy. I must have imagined the penalty England got for holding on when Curry was over the ball after a Lawes tackle. Surely England didn't miss that many tackles? Apart from the late try the defense was pretty solid.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 04:56
Early in the second half stats were flashed on screen, showed England missing something like 23 tackles, I couldn't work our where that had happened or how Ireland hadn't scored more points if that were the case.

Wow, typed above before looking at Chris' link 33 missed tackles sounds like all kinds of wrong to me. Itoje secured at least one turn over. Your instance wouldn't count as a turnover isitme (assuming that was your point) as the penalty award prevents a turnover

'Cause we were raised

clutch (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 11:00
A missed tackle isnít noticed if it results in someone being shown inside to get smashed. Even so, i agree. Also how did Stockdale make that many metres.

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 13:59
It all happened in the same universe where Curry put in a 6/10 performance.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

WillC (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 16:16
Quote:
DavAitch
Overall, Curry did well enough, as did all the team. He certainly wasn't one of the stand-out performers, though.

Wow, even by your standards that's impressively negative!!

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 17:19
Quote:
DaveAitch
Totally agree, ageing.
In real time the tackle looked late and high....

In real time it looked high, I'd say replays showed otherwise. Late? I've seen those interpreted as "already committed", though if it had been O'Mahoney tackling Daly I'd probably have shouted "late".

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion of his performance, but, as Clive Woodward appeared to disagree with it (unless "immense" meant "well enough"), maybe "certainly" is a bit hubristic.

As for Earls being in the air, is the follow through of a kick really intended to fall within that definition? Surely that's just a part of a stride as when running. Running involves having both feet in the air for a fair proportion of the time, but I doubt the Laws expect tackles to be timed to make contact only when a runner's foot is touching the ground.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 17:20
Quote:
WillC
Quote:
DavAitch

Wow, even by your standards that's impressively negative!!

By Dave's standards that's a 9.5/10!!

clutch (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 17:39
Donít use Woodward as a way of backing up your point. Heís a mad man. He wanted May at 13 a few years ago.

It didnít look high in real time. And wasnít. It was for a no arm tackle or shoulder charge not a high shot. A high late shoulder charge would be a red.

Either way a terrible call from the touch. Polite I think. Personality though Iíll let it slide. We won and Iím in favour of the officials making decisions rather than referring everything to the extent that we are still watching at midnight.

H's D (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 18:01
IMHO the ref indicated that Curry was late and didn't try to pull out of impacting with his shoulder, which he had time to do. Because he didn't try to avoid the big late hit, he got a yellow: simple really.
That provides a simple explanation acknowledging what everyone was aware "it was a stride too late".

MikeGC (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 18:44
Quote:
clutch
Either way a terrible call from the touch. Polite I think.

Pretty sure that it was the other guy, bald headed chap

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 03:28
You mean it didn't look high to you Clutch, you'll just have to trust me, in real time it did look high to me, replay proved for me that it wasn't. I don't think Garces took any heed of the AR notion of use of the shoulder, I'm pretty sure Garces only mentioned late when carding Tom.

Should add, I don't think either official ever mentioned high, it was never part of their deliberations, that was just my own initial reaction.

'Cause we were raised

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 03:30 by PoyntonShark.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 07:37
He wouldnít card him for being very slightly late.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 09:46
He's French, he could do anything. You are probably right, but I'm sure all he said to Tom was along the lines of "You were clearly late".

'Cause we were raised

thekeg (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 12:18
I also thought it was high in real time, my heart sank as I thought we might see a red.

Olyy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 10:01
Live action looked very nasty, but replays looked fine.
Touch judge definitely said shoulder charge, that's why the card was produced.

I like when referees back themselves (and considering the live shot looked so bad I can understand why they thought it was so bad) but considered there was a lengthy break in play afterwards the TMO could have easily had a word in the refs ear and said it wasn't high or a shoulder charge)

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 15:39
Article about Tom posted on Twitter

[pbs.twimg.com]

Last paragraph is interesting. Apparently he has the most turnovers in the Prem so far this season - 16. Itoje is second with 13. All the more remarkable when you consider he was out for 6 weeks or so with an ankle injury following the start of the AIs.

We truly have a future star in the making and his brother cant be far behind?

Olyy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 19:35
Itoje's stats include lineout steals as well (as do toms, but I don't think I've ever seen him steal one!)
Very impressive numbers

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:54
Tom and 'Splash' in starting line-up for Sunday

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 09:44
Quote:
clutch
Donít use Woodward as a way of backing up your point. Heís a mad man. ...

Again an opinion which you're perfectly entitled to express.

However, he also coached a very successful international team for a number of years, so I'm inclined to give his opinion more credibility.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 14:17
Very true. He also wanted to play Jonny May at 13 which cancels out all the good work!!

Iím joking of course. He knows what heís talking about obviously. He just occasionally comes out with some very strange comments. He also dropped Wilkinson because of a dream.

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 17:04
https://i.imgur.com/RR28RKl.jpg

yukon (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 20:05
Quote:
Olyy
https://i.imgur.com/RR28RKl.jpg

Iíve no doubt heís going to be one of the best opensideís if not players in the world. He is an absolute force of nature & weíre very lucky to have him.

10 February, 2019 21:12
Just to reassure you that if he gets injured we have another one ready to go.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

yukon (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 22:44
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Just to reassure you that if he gets injured we have another one ready to go.

That is so reassuring it should be illegal- itís like having two Batmanís!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 07:23 by yukon.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 07:41
Tom marked at 8/10 by the Telegraph

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 08:16
Wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 11:16 by Olyy.

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 10:22
Quote:
Chris1850
Tom marked at 8/10 by the Telegraph
The Guardian gave him a 9. It may take a while, but they get there in the end.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 08:48
Feature on Tom in today's Telegraph

[digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk]

Not sure if it is behind the paywall because as a subscriber I am automatically logged in. Will copy and paste the article if the link doesn't work

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 09:52
Worked fine Chris, thanks for sharing.

It's a bit disappointing that he described himself as Frankenstein rather than Flankenstein.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 16:42
I chuckled at the observation that it's now possible to distinguish Tom from Ben thanks to the new scar on his forehead.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 17:40
I think itís more disappointing that he thinks Frankenstein is the name of the monster...

JohnJ of HM (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 18:40
Quote:
Chris1850
Feature on Tom in today's Telegraph
[digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk]

Not sure if it is behind the paywall because as a subscriber I am automatically logged in. Will copy and paste the article if the link doesn't work

Very similar article in the 'i'

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 04:35
Quote:
Crutch
I think itís more disappointing that he thinks Frankenstein is the name of the monster...

I think you owe him an apology for underestimating him Crutch. He described himself as taking bits from several players, 'twas the good doctor who did the taking, not the monster.

'Cause we were raised

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 08:03
Quote:
Crutch

Well, if he does, he's probably in the mistaken majority, but it doesn't read that way to me.

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 09:23
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Quote:
Crutch

I think you owe him an apology for underestimating him Crutch. He described himself as taking bits from several players, 'twas the good doctor who did the taking, not the monster.

Perhaps if Dr Frankenstein was making himself into the monster, otherwise it still doesnít make sense.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 18:19
Peter Jackson was very complimentary about Tom on Scrum V on Sunday night. Something along the lines of England have finally found a world class number 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net