rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Brodie Retallick
03 February, 2019 08:29
Worth a topic on its own. Fissler confirming in the Rugby Paper that Sale in talks with BR to come to Manchester after a World Cup in £1m deal

Re: Brodie Retallick
WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 08:42
Obvs I really want to see him in a Sale shirt but I would be really wary of a 1m a year salary going with it. I can think of a couple of players who deserve to be the highest earners at Sale and might want parity.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 08:54
More likely to be a million pound contract than per year, I reckon

Ludicrously good player, literally the exact type of lock we'd be looking for in a dream world

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 09:17
Oh yeah, I just re-read it, in which case, get him signed! If it is 500k a year for 2 years or 333k for 3 years, either would be a great bit of business.

03 February, 2019 09:36
The article says his current contract is 425k pa, so I think we are talking close to £1m pa

yukon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:10
Quote:
Olyy
More likely to be a million pound contract than per year, I reckon
Ludicrously good player, literally the exact type of lock we'd be looking for in a dream world

It’s £1m a year- they make comparisons with Piatau. It’s also a sabbatical and he’ll return to NZ for the 2023 RWC

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:25
Good point Withington. It’s a difficult balance between getting the players and not upsetting others by over paying some players. If he comes and is superb im sure players won’t mind.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:28
Fissler doesn’t make things up so there must be some validity in it. £1m is too much though. Whatever Faf is on plus the same % for the extra games he may play more than Faf.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:32
£1m a year is a big chunk of change.
I'd say he's worth it but it is a lot of money for a two(?) year player
Though I imagine if you weigh up how much impact he'd have on the players around him (both in terms of team performances and influencing the younger players), the results, ticket sales and sponsorship deals he'd probably make it back for the club.

Quote:
StalyShark
Fissler doesn’t make things up so there must be some validity in it.
April fools day has come early this year

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:35
Not for me if it’s that kind of money. It would be hypocritical to be for this after criticising the reported money that Piatau is on (as many of us did)

The clubs are all struggling financially and are largely dependent upon wealthy backers to survive. Pushing wages of the top players up puts more pressure on throughout the squad as we’ve seen in football.

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:39
Piatau is different. You can judge on a case by case basis and not be hypocritical. That’s what the marque rule allows. I don’t think it was drive salaries up as they are controlled by the frozen currently salary cap.

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:56
Why is Piatau different?

yukon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 10:59
Quote:
clutch
Piatau is different. You can judge on a case by case basis and not be hypocritical. That’s what the marque rule allows. I don’t think it was drive salaries up as they are controlled by the frozen currently salary cap.

Plus we actually need a lock.

I don’t understand the negativity, despite the wages. He’s one of the best players in the world in his position, a former World Player of the Year and he will get bums on seats. If the owners are will to bankroll a player of this calibre it’d be churlish to baulk. To be absolutely clear if this comes off there’s a very good chance someone will have to peel me off the ceiling of then West Stand when I float off in a Mary Poppins “wooden leg named Smith” esque bout of delirious happiness.

Alternatively I’m sure we could get some of the tat we’ve had in the past back...

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 11:59
Plus. Bristol weren’t an established side at prem level. I think that was more the criticism as much as anything.

He’s doing pretty well though is Charles.

H's D (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 13:22
Why couldn't it be a two year contract for £1M? £500K per season.
Wouldn't that be a £1M deal?
I don't think Sale would want him for just a single season.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 13:25 by H's D.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 15:00
I really doubt he’ll get bums on seats. For a football mad area a second row is not going to get people who don’t really understand the game excited. Barrett at 10 for £1m might make sense for bums on seats, Retallick no matter how good he is just won’t.

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 15:56
Quote:
H's D

Says PA in the rugby paper, he's already on 425k pa.

yukon (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 18:29
Quote:
H's D

Read the article- you’re wrong, it’s £1m a year.

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:03
As someone has said on twitter, I’d much prefer to spend the money on 3 x Du Preez.

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:34
We are doing. It’s not one or the other.

IOL Shark (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 19:43
I do struggle with this board sometimes. For years we’ve had to give up our best to other clubs while keeping the club going with a host of journeymen and semi-retirees. Now we’re on the verge of the possible signing of one of the best players in the world and still people will find fault. If it costs us a lot of money but means I can sit in my seat and admire a world class player in a sharks shirt while other clubs supporters look on in envy, then so be it.
We have fantastic players already on the books, many of whom are still young and locally produced, and a host of top class signings to come. Will I be happy if Retallick is added to that mix? No, of course not - I’ll be ecstatic!!

Crutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 22:20
It’s a matter of balance. Yes we’re below the cap now, and marquee players are outside of the cap, but they still impact on the P&L of the business.

I don’t believe that we can pay 1M for one player, and bring in the Du Preez, and Kitschoff etc. and still be under the cap, or make such a loss for the owners that they won’t sustain it even if we win the league etc.

BK built a very strong squad that wasn’t sustainable and we got into some fairly dire trouble for a period, and we’re very lucky that he decided to write the losses off. If true, this has worrying signs of Wasps for me.

i don’t believe anyone is value for money at 1M, we already have a small squad, much better to bring in 3 class players. That’s not the same as wanting/accepting journeymen and semi-retirees....

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 22:24
Quote:
Crutch
It’s a matter of balance. Yes we’re below the cap now, and marquee players are outside of the cap, but they still impact on the P&L of the business.
I don’t believe that we can pay 1M for one player, and bring in the Du Preez, and Kitschoff etc. and still be under the cap, or make such a loss for the owners that they won’t sustain it even if we win the league etc.

BK built a very strong squad that wasn’t sustainable and we got into some fairly dire trouble for a period, and we’re very lucky that he decided to write the losses off. If true, this has worrying signs of Wasps for me.

i don’t believe anyone is value for money at 1M, we already have a small squad, much better to bring in 3 class players. That’s not the same as wanting/accepting journeymen and semi-retirees....

Spot on Crutch.

clutch (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 23:30
If we were spending half the cap a few years ago and there is room for 2 marquee players then we can easily sign everyone and be within the cap.

It’s definutely a risk but he will only be here for a few years, he’s not going to be blocking a big prospect and he should have a massive influence.

We have to trust in Dimes. He’s far more sensible than PSA was.

Plus, imagine the profile it would give us. I know he’s not a flashy winger but boasting the best 5/9/1 in the world has to be a good thing commercially.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 03:28
Since when were newspapers party to players' wage negotiations. Agents and journalists bandy all kinds of numbers around, mostly for their own ends, the fact is they don't know. Bristol consistently deny that they are paying Piutau 1M, but it doesn't stop it being reported as fact.

BK and PSA didn't build an unsustainable squad, rather PSA leaving and taking several big names with him left us paying over the odds for average players and panic buying more of the same. Though I do agree PSA had short term aims, which he achieved. As clutch says we have Dimes picking and presumably negotiating player deals now, he spends it like it's his own money (some of it presumably is). I don't believe we are in anything like a Wasps situation, we appear to have owners who actually care about the club, not just looking for a vehicle to fulfill other business ambitions. That perspective can, of course, change when you see money flowing down a drain, but BK still managed to do right by us.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 09:10
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Since when were newspapers party to players' wage negotiations.

Spot on, the figures quoted are pure guess work. You can see Fisslers maths at work, "So he is on c450k (he thinks), he will want a pay rise, so lets say 700/800, lets round it up to a million to make a good headline"

Unfortunately too many people take Journalists quotes as fact, even though Fissler has recently had a very poor record with Rumours. Gustard to Tigers was a done deal according to him only last month, just one example.

Even though Faf resigned on the same money everyone said he signed for more and now whoever we sign other fans will claim its just about the money, its a tag we are going to carry for the next few seasons I think

ale shark (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 10:51
I thought all the clubs had agreed to try and not inflate wages on the back of the takeover money. That lasted long! Retallick would be great but how often do clubs get value for money off the back of individuals being so much more than their team mates? Kurtley Beale did a pretty good job when he was at Wasps but Sopoaga, Luatua, Piutau and Dan Biggar aren’t exactly working miracles each week.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 11:01
We were/are spending 60-70% of the salary cap and before the CVC money was even agreed had said publicly that 2019-20 season we would be spending all the salary cap. Orange has said publicly the CVC money would simply mean he and Mason didn´t have to put 2million of their own money in over the next few years but that building a title winning side would probably cover that loss with as he hopes/expects increased gates.

It easy to both suggest we are splashing the cash or using the CVC money but we are simply putting ourselves on a level field with all other teams.

If anyone hasn´t already listened to this podcast with Orange from a few weeks ago I would suggest doing so [soundcloud.com] Well worth a listen

Yareet (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 11:23
Quote:
Monty9
We were/are spending 60-70% of the salary cap and before the CVC money was even agreed had said publicly that 2019-20 season we would be spending all the salary cap. Orange has said publicly the CVC money would simply mean he and Mason didn´t have to put 2million of their own money in over the next few years but that building a title winning side would probably cover that loss with as he hopes/expects increased gates.
It easy to both suggest we are splashing the cash or using the CVC money but we are simply putting ourselves on a level field with all other teams.

If anyone hasn´t already listened to this podcast with Orange from a few weeks ago I would suggest doing so [soundcloud.com] Well worth a listen

Wasn’t the supposed Folau offer for £1mn as well? That was before CVC was agreed; possibly before it was even mentioned.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 11:45
It was Yareet. And Launchbury was 500k, just nice round numbers to fit headlines.

It will be fun listening to other teams saying how we are splashing the CVC money and probably comments of breaking the salary cap or buying success etc but all the infomation is available publicly to show what our strategy was before the CVC money was even mentioned. We just wanted to put ourselves on an even footing again and when we are its going to be great to watch.

Anyone excited about seeing our backline behind a monster pack?

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 15:16
As a marque, which I assume he is, there wont be many caps questions.

My opinion is that the figure is prob right, not based on journo say so but the amount that perhaps the best 2nd row around will command in an open market, competing with Japan and French leagues.

Accept it or not, media has access to info through various avenues, hence they are media and not just speculative fans and your kidding yourself if you believe you can acquire talent like this in its absolute prime on a 20% increase on his half mill and the promise of a good night out in Salford.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 15:43
I agree with you in general that journos do tend to have access to a general view of fugures etc but it doesn´t take away from my points above and the figures in this instance.

Quote:
Hymenoptera
and the promise of a good night out in Salford.

Also, coming from a Wasps fan I couldn´t let this slide. Salford maybe not a great night out, but Manchester certainly is. I couldn´t find Coventry on this list? [www.cntraveller.com] Maybe I didn´t scroll far enough down?

Monty9 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:32
I very much know he was MikeGC, its pretty obvious, as was my comment was also tongue in cheek (again I thought fairly obviously). Next time I will put a note in brackets to make sure you don´t miss it, again. Enjoy your week

thekeg (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 16:52
On the points about this potential signings and salary cap, surely he would be a marquee signing and therefore in a sense we could spend what we want on him....

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 18:14
Quote:
Monty9
I agree with you in general that journos do tend to have access to a general view of fugures etc but it doesn´t take away from my points above and the figures in this instance.
Quote:
Hymenoptera
and the promise of a good night out in Salford.

Also, coming from a Wasps fan I couldn´t let this slide. Salford maybe not a great night out, but Manchester certainly is. I couldn´t find Coventry on this list? [www.cntraveller.com] Maybe I didn´t scroll far enough down?

For the record, no issue with Salford, I could have said Manchester, my point was aimed that the promise of a good night out anywhere.

Crutch (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 18:38
Quote:
thekeg
On the points about this potential signings and salary cap, surely he would be a marquee signing and therefore in a sense we could spend what we want on him....

My worry is not the salary cap, it’s the overall losses that he club will make that need to be bailed out by the owners.

If others are right that we were only at about 60% cap then that’s about 2.8M more to spend. Even assuming that the owners meant up to the cap including Marque that’s taking our annual losses from 1-2M to 4-5M.

Do we seriously think that revenues can grow by that amount annually to offset?

StalyShark (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 18:50
JB from eggchasers dismisses the rumours on today’s pod. He is “in” with the club or so it appears but it’s not like we’ve heard outright dismissal of transfers before...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 22:12 by StalyShark.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:08
"If I am honest, and I don't mind saying it, I think [Bristol] are wrecking [the game]" - Steve Diamond

Hmmm...

yukon (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:15
Quote:
Rinkadink
"If I am honest, and I don't mind saying it, I think [Bristol] are wrecking [the game]" - Steve Diamond
Hmmm...

Difference is, we need a decent lock and have been on the lookout for one for a while. We’re not signing “big names” for the sakes of it- ask London Irish how that works out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 20:07 by yukon.

Barend (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:22
I'm surprised the theme of the Bristol thread asbout it isn't '*insert club name* is rumoured to be signing *insert rumoured player*....why can't we sign them/I want to sign him'.

It's about how they don't like Diamond.

04 February, 2019 19:48
Quote:
StalyShark
JB from eggchasers dismisses the rumours on today’s pod. He is “in” with the club or so it appears but it’s not like we’ve heard outright dismal software transfers before...

The same JB who was convinced Cipriani was returning to Sale this season? Im not convinced he’s in the know. There’s clearly something in this rumour and it was certainly doing the rounds in Galway after the Connacht game. As SO said in the interview with The Shark Tank boys, Sale fans will be more than happy with our signings for next season when announced by end February/ beginning March

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:52
I would bet money he won't be playing at Sale next season.

Barend (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 19:59
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe

I doubt you are the only one, including even the most blue tinted of spectacles.

thekeg (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 22:06
Quote:
Crutch
Quote:
thekeg

My worry is not the salary cap, it’s the overall losses that he club will make that need to be bailed out by the owners.

If others are right that we were only at about 60% cap then that’s about 2.8M more to spend. Even assuming that the owners meant up to the cap including Marque that’s taking our annual losses from 1-2M to 4-5M.

Do we seriously think that revenues can grow by that amount annually to offset?

Yes I have simiksr doubts on the overall profitability aspects, but no one is forcing the owners to splash the cash. The danger is they spend significant amounts and then get more disappointed if it doesn’t work

Olyy (IP Logged)
04 February, 2019 22:06
Attwood confirmed to Brizzle

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 04:48
Good piece of business for them. Still one of the best locks around and won't be away on international duty. They just have to keep him fit.

Back to Retallick. I don't see it as impossible, or even fanciful that he might come to Sale, but I certainly won't be staking my mortgage on it. On the notion of owners spending all their cash, whilst I am certain I could do a better job of sensibly managing budgets than several previous owners of various clubs, our current owners are not amongst them. I'm more than happy that they will not risk the long term survival of the club for short term gain.

'Cause we were raised

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 08:53
Are we sure? They are venture capitalists after all which is pretty much their raison d’etre.

I’m hoping not and SO does sound like he genuinely cares about the club, but it doesn’t seem like sensible planning at that kind of salary.

clutch (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 10:53
In his interview he eluded to the fact they were going to spend big, and hope that generates the additional revenue. He did seem like he was happy to be losing each year in principle but as a business man he’s driven to make it succeed. By which we mean operate at a small loss.

Re JB he’s more ingrained in the club than he was, previously it appears. He’s doing interviews in the Sharkee.

Further to Stalys point he hinted that they would be signing “someone”. Which implied another big name was lined up. He does like to blow his own trumpet, so he could be talking BS but I’m inclined to believe him.

H's D (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 11:17
Quote:
Poynters
....they will not risk the long term survival of the club for short term gain.

In common with Brian Kennedy, who, let's not forget, wrote off his "investment" in the club of around £20 Million, I expect any investment made by our current two owners will also be written off when they pass the reins to another owner. Any other scenario is surely just wishfull thinking! They, like many businessmen, hate giving money to the tax man and would far prefer to lose a similiar amount by off-setting the groups overall "profit" against the losses incurred on a rugby club playing a sport they both love.

The clubs revenues would however increase significantly if we made the Champions Cup, not only in terms of attendances but more importantly in terms of TV monies.

Worthwhile remembering GED Mason's company Morson International has a turnover of £800M per year. Simon Orange's Corpaq around £100M. Together they should generate quite a significant profit annually. Albeit most will be swallowed up in growing their companies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2019 11:22 by H's D.

elegia (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 13:14
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Since when were newspapers party to players' wage negotiations. Agents and journalists bandy all kinds of numbers around, mostly for their own ends, the fact is they don't know. Bristol consistently deny that they are paying Piutau 1M, but it doesn't stop it being reported as fact.

thank you PS
nice that some people can see beyond what's reported

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 13:34
AS your signature pic clearly shows that you are person of discerning taste elegia, you are most welcome.

'Cause we were raised

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 14:57
Signing or not, already the clubs name is reaching audiences it might not have before, so in terms of an opportunity to raise the profile of Sale RFC, they don't come much better than this, if signed, while it may or may not equalize in direct revenue, in terms of profile, along with the likes of Faf already there, with the extended media coverage it'll get, its immense...and will aid future signings, something that has been mooted on this board for some time.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 15:11
[www.instagram.com]

Brodie saying he isn't going to be playing for Sale.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:47
Wouldn’t be at all surprised if the club let it leak as cover for who they’re actually going after. A bit of diversionary chaff as it were.

elegia (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 13:21
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
https://www.instagram.com/stories/brodie_retallick/?hl=en
Brodie saying he isn't going to be playing for Sale.

19th dec post says "when you go to the sea & want to see the sharks"...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

ale shark (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 13:50
Dimes confirms that we've signed him:

[www.rugbypass.com]

clutch (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 13:52
Ha ha!!

jaytom (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 14:11
2-3 weeks then!

Yareet (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 14:54
Quote:
ale shark
Dimes confirms that we've signed him:
[www.rugbypass.com]

Here, have some likes smileys with beer

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 23:33

Olyy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 09:54
Their only source is Fissler, so doesn't really lend anymore credence to the rumour.

I've heard we've signed a South African international lock, anywho

This rumour is just the usual "X club is splashing the cash so let's link every player to them". Used to be Bristol, before that Wasps, before that Sarries etc

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 19:20
Fact: this rumour first surfaced in Galway at the away fixture vs Connacht.

Fact: the Ryan Lamb rumour started on the fun bus at the away fixture vs Worcester.

Theory: this is a very good hoax by some stalwart fans which shows how far we’ve moved up in the world with the quality of rumoured signings!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 09:57 by Pappje Shark.

Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 08:46
The Ryan Lamb rumour was on the fun bus on the return from Worcester.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:58
Gah! Of course it did but had Connacht on the brain. Hopefully everyone on here last season would’ve recognised what I meant.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 10:19
I'll be more than happy if our BIG signing turns out to be Kitscoff and not Retalick
Retalick would be unbelievable but that loose head position is vital for us imo

We will still need to recruit in the 2nd row though with Ostrikov off and unsure of Evans status. Unless Posthwaite or Nott are going to make the step up

A couple or 3 Du Preez on the side would also be nice

Monty9 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 10:27
Quote:
ashtonshark
I'll be more than happy if our BIG signing turns out to be Kitscoff and not Retalick

Kitshoff already a done deal we know that. Not are only big signing though, far from it.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 10:29
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe

How much money? Remember, Gamble responsibly. smiling smiley

Crutch (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:56
Dan DP is a 2nd row so hopefully that’s one of the gaps.

If we get Kitshoff and the Du Preez brothers signed I’ll be ecstatic. Anything more would be greedy!

clutch (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 19:55
That’s be greedy then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net