rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Here we go again
PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 03:59
Ringfencing back on the agenda
Was it ever off?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Re: Here we go again
franknfurter (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 12:04
(Some) Owners are absolutely terrified of missing a slice of the pie.

Message to owners, in a hard fought season, someone WILL finish bottom.

Forget the clauses re: "I'm off if we go down"
Keep your players and coaching staff or re-build and get re-promoted.

Or at the very least, stop crying in your milk and be adults in an adult world.

Yes, owners generally lose money, but hey, did they really invest to make money?
Die hard supporters give their hard earned regularly, tickets, merch, food & drink, travel etc and sure, they @#$%& and moan, but they are there through thin and thinner. And I'm talking about die-hard's and not glory hunters.

Most, if not all clubs will see a downturn in gate receipts if said club is not doing well, just as they will see an increase if they are playing well.

The 'insert sponsors name' Premiership is arguably the best league in the world (France maybe?)

And hey, it isn't broke. Don't fix it.

Sorry......Rant over

edited for typos .......TWICE hahaha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 12:06 by franknfurter.

06 February, 2019 12:37
It arises because of the failure of GP clubs in the ECC. The irish provinces in particular can rest players before European games because the outcome of many Pro14 games is irrelevant and some sides are quite weak.

Personally I always thought the Premiership had two or even four sides too many but economically a smaller league isn't on.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Crutch (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 12:42
The club ran a poll on twitter recently asking if people were in favour of ending relegation- it was a bit of a leading question but the response was still about 75% not in favour.

Owners need to understand that promotion and relegation are inbuilt as far as fans are concerned in this country.

philthefluter (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 16:55
Once we get to the half way stage of the season most games between the teams in the bottom half of the league would be meaningless if relegation was off the table.

It would be like playing in the Premiership Cup every week.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 08:50
As noted above, this comes up every year.

IIRC the answer is eventually always the same - the second tier needs proper support and funding from the RFU / sponsors / TV. Then relegation isn't such a disaster and everyone's happy again.

A 1st league without relegation would not be worth watching regularly in my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net