rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

The biggest scourge in the game?
PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 02:44
According to Gregor Paul

We have all seen games where the off side line is not policed (Northampton Saints anyone?), and it is surely taken as a given that all international sides will take advantage of any slack they are given with respect to the laws of the game. But I can't say that I noticed that either England or Ireland were consistent offenders when it came to backs being offside, sure each got away with one or two but persistently jumping the gun? Not that I noticed.

Could Mr Paul have an ulterior motive for trying to highlight a non-issue?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Re: The biggest scourge in the game?
Flumpty (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 08:26
Quote:
PoyntonShark
According to Gregor Paul
We have all seen games where the off side line is not policed (Northampton Saints anyone?), and it is surely taken as a given that all international sides will take advantage of any slack they are given with respect to the laws of the game. But I can't say that I noticed that either England or Ireland were consistent offenders when it came to backs being offside,[u][/u] sure each got away with one or two but persistently jumping the gun? Not that I noticed.

Could Mr Paul have an ulterior motive for trying to highlight a non-issue?

Except for nearly every ruck, nearly every maul and nearly every lineout (I didn't clock the scrums) from both teams.

As a realted aside, I couldn't imagine how hard it is to police offside, when teams are holding a box kixking festival !

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 19:06
[quote Flumpty][quote PoyntonShark]
As a related aside, I couldn't imagine how hard it is to police offside, when teams are holding a box kicking festival ![/quote]

Well, the assistant referees could actually assist the man in the middle, that would be a good start.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 20:48
People sliding into try-scorers with their knees a la liam Williams.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:07
Quote:
Irish_Shark
People sliding into try-scorers with their knees a la liam Williams.

Yes. Williams is a dirty little sod. And he squeals like a child whenever he is on the receiving end. Shame because he is a super player

emerging shark (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:58
Do you think that is the biggest scourge in the game Irish? a la the title of the thread...

ale shark (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:58
More penalties should be given for fouls comitted when trys are scored. Maybe just award the conversions if there’s a foul, that would stop a lot of the nonsense that currently goes on, particularly in the corners.

09 February, 2019 13:26
Most of the current ills stem from the daft "use it or lose it" law. It was brought in by the Aussies because their pack was weak so they could only get turnovers by killing the ball. Forwards spread across the field RL style , upright "choke" tackles and the concussions resulting all stem from this reversal of rugby principles. Basically it rewards those sides skilled at killing the ball at the ruck thus denying quick ball.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

clutch (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:09
Mrs T I have no idea what your point is sorry. Use it or lose it is to stop farting about with the ball at the back of a ruck. Are you talking about mauls specifically. If so, they have pretty much wiped out the choke tackle because refs call “tackle” very late.

Don’t understand your concussion point.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 18:01
I don't feel qualified to pass comment myself, but just for information, here's an incident I witnessed watching last year's Calcutta Cup match in a bar in Lanzarote, in the company of several others including a qualified referee (Scottish - don't know his qualification level).

Not too long into the match he was complaining that England were offside at just about every breakdown. One of the English watchers (not me) asked him to explain why, so for the next dozen or so breakdowns he pointed out and explained any infringement he saw. It didn't take him long to admit, "OK, blue specs off, they're both doing it!"

A very small sample I admit, but it suggests the writer might have a point, even if he is overstating it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net