rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Was Geordan Murphy watching the same game?
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 23:52
Churlish and unnecessary remarks from a bad loser

"A huge decision once Sione Kalamafoni gets a red card probably costs us the game.

"It's one of those big flashpoints in world rugby. It'll probably be a talking point, but for me it was probably just play on.

"However Josh Beaumont looked like he was shot and that's sort of the way the game goes."

Kalamafoni's red was as clear as you will see. Straight shoulder charge directly to Josh's head. To then suggest that Josh milked it is disgraceful.

If the roles had been reversed and Dimes had made a similar comment, people would (rightly) be jumping all over it.

Unneccessary bad grace from someone I previously had a lot of time for

Re: Was Geordan Murphy watching the same game?
camshark (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 00:36
Leicester were the worst team Iíve seen at AJBell for a few seasons, clueless , they slowed the game down clearly looking for damage limitation, they could have had other players carded, the tip tackle was awful, players leading with their elbows . Any flash point they had players charging in .
Murphy is way out of his depth , sorry , sorry state for a once great club.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 09:16
Chris1850 is spot on

I've always liked Geordan Murphy. Was a great player to watch and I hoped he'd be successful as a coach. But those post match comments made him look like a right knob and have soured my view of him I'm afraid

Windgather (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 09:24
The pressure of failing to coach his team to perform must be getting to Geordan Murphy as implying, but not having the integrity to state explicitly, that he felt Josh milked it, is contemptible.

thekeg (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 09:53
Bizarre reaction to what was clearly a cheap shot and an obvious red

Windgather (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 10:02

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 10:35
Murphy is still getting used to the media after the games.
Like Spencer incident.

The emotions are harder to control as a new coach.

camshark (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 11:10
Just to clarify my views on Murphy, I am sure one day he may become a good coach, but he is still very raw in his coaching experience. Most successful ex player coaches tend to gain experience under a well proven director of rugby.
Leicester have had a succession of short term coaches,with different playing styles .
Despite being a scratch team, Tigers were rudderless, tactically naive (I don't understand why they didn't use the strong wind more ) , and played without passion. The head coach just doesn't seem to be able to galvanise the squad.
I suspect the Leicester board will be searching for a top dollar coach of international standing .

09 March, 2019 11:20
Personally I think Tigers need a Steve Diamond.
I think the coaching is there potentially, whats missing is someone to control everything else the contracts the recruitment etc.

Teams struggle to beat Sale away on a Friday night, let alone with 20 players missing and 30 minutes with 14 men on the pitch.
Got to remember this isn't a squad Murphy has built like Sale have been able to do I think we are potentially letting go of/losing 20 players end of this season.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 11:38
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
I think the coaching is there potentially, whats missing is someone to control everything else the contracts the recruitment etc.

Teams struggle to beat Sale away on a Friday night, let alone with 20 players missing and 30 minutes with 14 men on the pitch.
Got to remember this isn't a squad Murphy has built like Sale have been able to do I think we are potentially letting go of/losing 20 players end of this season.

Well that's a compliment indeed, thanks!! Must be the first time I have ever seen a supporter from another club covet a coach in the Diamond mould! On a serious note however, I do understand your point.

We all know SD is a marmite character but without him, over the past 5/6 years, I think we would have really struggled and probably been relegated. He has overseen the building of a small but really motivated squad, supported by a strong and thriving academy. He has been particularly clever at recruiting maverick players and those who, for whatever reason, are looking for a new club/challenge.

He is now facing a new challenge - the money from the new owners. It remains to be seen how wisely he manages to spend it now that it is apparently available. The early signs are encouraging though. We all know that he is Mr Sale. He oversees everything that goes on at the club and he bleeds blue blood. The bigger challenge may be SD's ability to delegate if the club does start to grow and move ahead.

Meanwhile, I hope Tigers regain their mojo. It doesnt seem right to be looking at them down the table, rather than up at them! Certainly not complaining though. I am sure they will turn it around but I suspect Murphy, if he is to be the man, needs more support from above.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 11:46
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe

You had one, but you binned him off and now he's tearing up trees in Scotland

09 March, 2019 11:51
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe

Cockerill is too much of a coach and not as much of a people manger.
For example Diamond would overpay slightly to give a 18/19 year old a 5 year contract in which it would work out as a big saving, whereas Cockers will give them a 1 year contract for peanuts and not play them, thus resulting in them leaving after said season.
No doubt he is doing a great job but how much of that is him learning from his mistakes at the club?

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 13:52
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe

So true, all I hear up here from Scotland fans is when is Cockers going to join the Scotland coaching team. Geordie Murphy might make the grade, but I think the malaise at Tigers is really deep and it may take some years to turn this around. Our board, in particular Simon Cohen do this sort of mealy mouthed blame everybody else sort of speak and in that environment Murphy is just copying it instead of putting his hands up and rolling his sleeves up and sorting it. I have followed the Tigers for 60 years now, we are a bigger shambles now than we have ever been, not the fault of the players, wouldn't hear a bad word against anyone who pulls on the shirt, indeed I have stopped posting on the Tigers boards because of the bad mouthing of our players from certain quarters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net