rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

La Rochelle Away
froggy13 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 14:27
Hi All,

Long time no seen.

Any of you guys travelling to La Rochelle ?

I will be teaching in town on Thursday and Friday and have booked a couple of tickets. Would be nice to catch up with some of you.

I see that you have brokered a deal with General Humbert. It's a big pub located in the St Nicolas neighboorhood. Very nice district, near the harbour with a bohemian feel to it : pedestrian streets, nice boutiques and lovely restaurants. It's not far from the station either... Next door, there is a local institution where they serve Guignette : some kind of fizzy fruit flavoured wine if you'd like to try local delicacies - on top of seafood of course !

Anyway, let me know your plans and, hopefully, we'll be able to catch up.

Cheers

Froggy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2019 08:03 by froggy13.

Re: La Rochelle Away
muddydwarf (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 14:39
Already got our eye on a local eatery, Le Panier De Crabes. The food looks amazing!

froggy13 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 09:18
I believe it is on a little square next door to Gal Humbert, isn't it? If that's the one, I do recommend it indeed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2019 08:03 by froggy13.

muddydwarf (IP Logged)
19 April, 2019 16:08
Well, it's stunning here! Weather in the low 20's & wall to wall blue sky.
Fingers crossed we can take a big French scalp tomorrow.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
19 April, 2019 21:03
Quote:
muddydwarf
Well, it's stunning here! Weather in the low 20's & wall to wall blue sky.
Fingers crossed we can take a big French scalp tomorrow.

Same in Sale Moor. Spent the day outside helping my brother in-law in the garden, and was baked.

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 18:23
Good game. Huge effort from the team. Think we need to be in front due to our weaker bench.

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 18:46
So much diving from this La Rochelle side, it's embarrassing

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:05
We need to stop going to the back on the lineout - three times we've been turned over due to sloppy slap backs or straight up pick offs

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:09
True but we have lost the lie outs throwing to 4 as well.

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:40
Game was carnage, but entertaining,

I must admit I did expect us to get a bit of a spanking, so to lose by 4 is more than I ever hoped for, and to almost squeak it at the end was crazy.

I hope we can bring that level of intensity and that level of performance into the final games of the season.

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:41
If that was a league game we’d be lauding the great bonus point.
Shocking call from Owens at the end.

Tigger (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:44
One word review.....gutted.

Thought we could have won it....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Penalty Try (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:56
Red card every day of the week!!!

Then as we’re going towards the line in OT, Mr ‘watch me and only me’ Owens blows up and has to give us a scrum because he made a mistake.

Owens cost us a place in the final and should be hauled over the coals for that performance.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 19:58
The team itself should be very proud of their performance on the whole: defence was hugely committed and everyone who played last week was a new man.

However, what it showed is our squad, especially the front five just isn’t up to that level. Both props played either 75 or 80 minutes as we don’t have quality on the bench. That fault lies with Dimes sadly though given our 5k crowds what do we expect?! Punching way about our weight and despite the loss there should only be pride in Sale as a team.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:01
Nigel Owens simply chickened out at the end, the pressure got to him. If that had have been at the AJB he would have made the same decision for us...

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:03
Owens didn't cost us the match, but he did us no favours by turning a ruck that we were doing well at into a scrum that we were struggling with.

We lost on lack of depth and (again) making silly mistakes in good positions (missed line out on the 5-metre line, dropped ball losing 80-odd metres).

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:09
Penalty Try what are you going on about. You do realise we would have had to score a try to win the game which we didn’t look like doing all game.
Whether it was a red or not is irrelevant to the game. The interpretation of the law is about outcome as well as intent.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:17
Quote:
Penalty Try
Red card every day of the week!!!
Then as we’re going towards the line in OT, Mr ‘watch me and only me’ Owens blows up and has to give us a scrum because he made a mistake.

Owens cost us a place in the final and should be hauled over the coals for that performance.

With the clock red a red card had the same effect as a yellow. We lost because we were constantly under pressure at the scrum and missed many of line outs. Also should have taken more of the 3 points on offer.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:20
I can't see any mention of a penalty try in this thread? what are you on about clutch?
With a decent scrum or line out on their 5 metre line we might have had a decent chance of scoring a try. We did score a try by the way...

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:27
We scored a pen try and chargedown try.
We never looked like scoring from open play.

Crutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:32
Quote:
StalyShark

However, what it showed is our squad, especially the front five just isn’t up to that level. Both props played either 75 or 80 minutes as we don’t have quality on the bench.

There’s no doubt that our front row recruitment didn't go as well as hoped coming into this season. However, during the year we’ve recruited Morotzov and Bristow, whilst JCW and AvdM are confirmed for next year. We were very close to getting Kitchoff until SA started panicking - if that one had come through we’d be looking at one of the strongest front rows in the league.

If we can get another name in at loose then we’ll be in a strong position for next year. If we can’t then we’re still much stronger at hooker and tight head than we are now, and stronger at loose than we were at the start of the season, so hopefully not a weakness anymore.

philthefluter (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:39
Fair do's. Great effort from the lads. Would have won it if every time we got into their 22 we didn't have our usual brainstorm and throw passes into touch, lose our own lineouts and drop the ball.

Much better than recent weeks though. Let's hope they show the same energy and commitment next Friday.

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:53
I'm no fan of Owens but he's not the reason we lost, not even close.

The end was a mess, but he was generous to us at the scrum (a number of times he made them play the ball when another referee would have penalised the collapse, and he gave at least one incorrect pen to us), and Philips probably should have seen yellow.
I don't think there was offside for their PT, but I'd be interested in seeing a replay of the high tackle on Luke, which the French director conveniently cut out of the replays. The one straight after on Jono was 50/50 (it was high but Jono was falling to the floor - see them given, see them waved on) but considering Denny was binned for a high tackle on a falling player it would've been nice to see some consistency.

It was a strong performance, especially when you consider we're missing 6 internationals - I'm proud of the way we played.

Now we just need the consistency to raise our game to that level more often/not take every other game off!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2019 20:55 by Olyy.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 20:55
Morozov looks a real prospect I agree. Bristow and Jones, just looking at the amount they have been played by Dimes exemplifies the difference in class to Harrison and John. Jones has time but Bristow might not given his age. Prop recruitment was not good last year as we had Harrison and an injured Flynn at 1 and John, Jones and Tarus (also trying to learn how to play loosehead!)

Langdon hasn’t put a foot wrong in his career so far for us but again he’s not ready for serious game time in the big matches. Akker will be a very good addition. Cooper-Woolley however, I doubt we’ll see much of as he’s constantly injured; really hope we aren’t paying him the reported 300k.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 21:04
The back row were excellent today, so committed. No disrespect to Ross but x2 Curry and Jean-Luc du Preez is looking pretty exciting if it happens next year! Also an honourable mention to JOC as he looked dangerous throughout, making metres where a man of his stature has no right to.

On another note, does anyone know why Luke James went off late on?

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 21:10
You’d rather play both Curry and leave Ross on the bench.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 21:15
Quote:
clutch
You’d rather play both Curry and leave Ross on the bench.

They looked very good today and with a big ball carrier they could look even better. Ross is a very good hardworking 6 but he doesn’t break tackles/ mark yards like an 8 should.

clutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 21:57
He’s not an 8 really. Ross has been our best player this year. Playing both Curries doesn’t really work. They were excellent today but we had no go forward.

StalyShark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 22:13
Quote:
clutch
He’s not an 8 really. Ross has been our best player this year. Playing both Curries doesn’t really work. They were excellent today but we had no go forward.

Need a heavy 8 to make it work at the moment.

Crutch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 22:39
Also can’t forgot how great Ross is in line out.

Plus captain. No way he’s not gonna play regularly even if Du Preez are coming.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 22:42
I saw most of the first half on TV, didn't see any of the second half.

Their penalty try: to score a try one has to be 'falling'. If a player can get away with a high tackle because a player is falling in the act of scoring, then expect to see a lot of heads being taken off. Surely the law has to applied differently to what it is in open play. That said, I don't think, when the tackle was made, that he was falling. It looked a penalty try to me even before the officials suggested it.

I'm surprised (am I?) that I don't think anyone has suggested that Phillips should have received a yellow for a no arms off the ball tackle just a minute or so after their 8 was carded, and rightly so, for bringing the maul down. There was poor communication (faulty system) between the TMO, who thought it should be yellow, and Owens.

Emerging, clutch was talking to the poster 'Penalty Try', not commenting on either penalty try at that time.

I left the game at 17-17. I thought at that stage the result could have gone either way, so didn't quite know what to expect as the final score.

Olyy (IP Logged)
20 April, 2019 23:18
I didn't think it was a yellow, but I've seen them given so wouldn't have been surprising.
It was made to look far worse by the tighthead going down like he'd been shot and rolling around clutching his neck, only to make a miraculous recovery as soon as the referee blew for a penalty.
The guy WGJ ran into did the exact same in the second half too.

Mujati pointed it out on Twitter - I didn't realise theatrics were so engrained into French rugby. Obviously you do notice a bit in every league but seems par for the course over there.

thekeg (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 09:38
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
clutch

Need a heavy 8 to make it work at the moment.

You’d need more than just a heavy carrying 8 for the vast majority of the season on wet grounds. We’d need extra carrying options all over the pack to allow for double curry. Worked well yesterday for a specific job, but don’t think it’s really a recipe for dominating better sides up front

clutch (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 10:10
Even with playing a curry and Ross we need an 8. At least 1 second row and a couple of props who can carry. Not sure what Cooper Wooley is like as a carrier? John and Harrison aren’t especially effective. Though Harrison was excellent yesterday.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
21 April, 2019 17:23
DaveAitch - The comes we’re wonky but Owens made his own mind up and it was refreshing that he did. The TMO clearly thought it merited a card but Owens decided he was fine with it. We got away with it but them’s the breaks.

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 10:46
Surely you wouldn't want to start both Currys on a regular basis? By the end of March they'd both be knackered (and injured)!

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
22 April, 2019 12:35
If we get Dan and Jean Luc Du Preez, I sense we will have the Sarries / Exeter mentality of actually resting some of our back row and mixing it up a little. Hopefully meaning that the lads can go even harder in the games they do play.

Having Ross, D Du Preez, B Curry , T Curry, J L Du Preez all in the mix for back row selection will be fantastic. When it’s a harder track, wouldn’t be surprised to see D Du Preez go into lock and it being Curry / Curry / J L Du Preez and Ross rested.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 10:04
Just watched the full match replay yesterday having been away the weekend.

Super effort by the team and in particularly the forwards. Absolutely grand having Ashton back to add in something special plus his obvious leadership on the pitch. JoC seemed to be really bustling around.

Thought we were a touch unlucky when they scored from their kick coming off the post and Denny was binned - I'm just not sure what Denny could have done apart from just let the guy score? - he's a big bloke and the attacker was already diving to score.

I was a bit fearful when I saw how shallow our bench was in terms of experience and the guys had to go the full 80 whereas they started making subs at 60 but we've always known that's our achilles heel.

We had a golden opportunity in the first half when the backs got in space but Sam over kicked the ball into touch - generally it's just not really happening for Sam - he had quite an unnecessary knock on (think it was the second half) then when Ashton kicked through (perfectly executed) Sam just got the ball stuck under his feet - just not happening for the poor guy - I think his brother kicked out on the full leading to points for them as well. Both of them just seem to need to work on executing kicks and for Sam - just when to kick. When we keep the ball in hand with our backs with the likes of Denny, JoC, Ashton - chancing it to kicks seems unnecessary.

I thought the TMO seemed a numpty as well :-)

Great game - proud performance.

Key question is - can we keep that level of intensity up for the remaining Prem games starting this Friday and get a proper "performance" in against Bath.

23 April, 2019 10:28
Re Sam - it's not his choice of kick, it's his poor execution.
AJ & Van Rensburg should practise the RL style kick to the foot of the post - very hard to defend.

I too thought their winger was going down and Solomona's tackle started below the neck.

When push comes to shove we don't have enough big ball carriers.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

23 April, 2019 10:36
Absolutely agree it's the execution for Sam (and not the first time this season) hence if it's not coming off then just keep the ball in hand instead of continuing to try a grubber kick.

Just a mention on AJ - I know he's a very committed defender but he really got stuck in a'la Curry on Saturday

At one point on the weekend La Rochelle lined up that huge guy at 12 who got the ball in space, took a big run up and AJ just put him straight down - fair play to the guy.

Was a bit surprised we didn't take try and kick 2 penalties in the second half? one was long-ish range but he's smashed them over before and the other was a difficult angle but again the bloke is a really good kicker

Sussex Shark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 10:52
Good points about Sam and his execution. Thought the kick he did in the 1st half against La Rochelle wasn't needed and would have been better just keeping it in hand. He did the exact same thing against Newcastle where he kicked it out on the full trying to chip it to Denny.

Olyy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 11:15
I think there's a bit of recency bias in saying that Sam doesn't has the skill set for it - He's put in some outstanding kicks in the past, I just think he needs a rest. Almost everything he does is going wrong atm - if Byron or RJVR are fit next week id drop Sam to the bench (either Byron to wing Luke to Centre or RJVR straight in)

camshark (IP Logged)
23 April, 2019 12:14
From where we were sitting that kick from Sam had to go through the hands, in fairness though Denny was waving for a kick through, just poor execution.
Sam needs a rest , he looks shattered . If fit I’d start JoC and Van Rensburg. With Denny and Splash on the wings it’s criminal not to get the ball out wide to them by passing , not speculative kicks.
Heresy I know , but I’d start with Cliff against Bath to do the basics ( all teams are focussing defensively so much on Faf) and bring Faf on for impact after 50 mins. Cliff has a more accurate pass from the ruck, box kicks well. No he doesn’t run with the ball but Faf of late has been too lateral and too easy to read and pick off by defenders. Both Faf and Van Rensburg need to stop racing out of the defensive line for the spectacular tackle, when it doesn’t work it leaves holes which creates problems for our defensive alignment .

23 April, 2019 12:41
Be interesting if Van Rensberg is fit - perhaps him at 12 and JOC at 13 would be nice. Tricky with Sam.......I noticed in the second half he didn't try and grubber kicks maybe someone had a word saying to leave it - he's a nice runner ball in hand and a strong lad so perhaps for the rest of the season put the grubber kick away as he does link play nicely in the outside channels.

On Camshark's point - I thought Faff was fairly "quiet" by his standards and did more of the basics well last weekend. Out of interest on the rushing out of the defensive line I noticed Webber is also quite the culprit (Worcs & La Rochelle)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net