rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Sale now 8th
1972shark (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:31
Big change in our league position with Wasps beating Exeter, a win at Worcester would have meant 5th, but now languishing in 8th, a season defining lacklustre loss?

Re: Sale now 8th
clutch (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:35
Quite possible but we looked on it last week v Quins. I do fear we may not win another games. Thin squad and lots of little injuries but you never know.

1972shark (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:41
From the stands watching yesterday, considering our position pre game, desire to win was hugely disappointing

Rich E (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 18:28
Agreed with the previous poster - yesterday the warm up looked off, and the result then followed.
The talk was of a difficult game, we threw the towel in after 58 minutes, and replaced players, however injuries have perhaps confounded the thin squad we have.
Hopefully the 5 new signings will invigorate the expectation for next year

GrassSnake (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 18:38
Diamondís pre game quotes are the same every game and cut and pasted. That team should be top five at least. Its got bags of talent, I fear 8th place and losing semi finalist in Europe beckons. Hope I am wrong

Anna59 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:13
Interesting dilemma: do we right off the semi against La Rochelle which we are not going to win anyway, thus rest players that need a break - fat, James x 2, Solomona ,Ross, curry x2 and others(?). Then the following week , hopefully refreshed with Ashton and mcguigan available, take on bath, Bristol and Gloucester, all winnable if we are sharp, certainly as Gloucester will be resting a few for the play- offs.

Rich E (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:19
Don't think we'll see Ashton this season I'm afraid

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 19:29
Genuinely see us languishing between 8th/10th this season. We might scrape a win against Bath, maybe, but otherwise I sense two losses.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 20:06
Late season fade to bottom 3rd finish happens so regularly as to not be a suprise each time it happens now

clutch (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:53
Grasssnake please explain to me why we are top 5 at least. On paper we arenít. We were punching above our weight threatening top 4. 6th would represent a good season. All the teams around us are at similar levels ability wise.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:03
Things do seem to go from elation to doom and gloom pretty quickly. i don't think Sale were consistent enough to ever realistically claim a top four finish. As it is, though, top six is still possible. The top three seem pretty certain, but most of the rest have a chance of taking one of the other three places. A win next time out with other games going Sale's way and is suddenly looks possible again. On the other hand, a defeat and the gloom will deepen.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:07
Diamond himslef said last week we weren't good enough for top 4

MikeGC (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 09:38
Quote:
emerging shark
Diamond himslef said last week we weren't good enough for top 4

sounds like the players believe him......

clutch (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 10:36
Not really. That game was not good enough for top 12

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 10:54
Until we stop taking pride in having the smallest squad in the league itíll happen every season.

dinogyro (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 11:54
Quote:
Anna59
Interesting dilemma: do we right off the semi against La Rochelle which we are not going to win anyway, thus rest players that need a break - fat, James x 2, Solomona ,Ross, curry x2 and others(?). Then the following week , hopefully refreshed with Ashton and mcguigan available, take on bath, Bristol and Gloucester, all winnable if we are sharp, certainly as Gloucester will be resting a few for the play- offs.

It's got to make sense to rest our best players. UNLESS the financial reward for getting to the final of the challenge cup (or whatever it's called) is better than getting into the top 6 for 'proper' european rugby next season.

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 12:03
With Quins and Clermont Auve being the other semi finalists would we get a champions cup place as a losing finalist? We have to ask and answer similar questions every season!

edit: answer my own question. Yes we would I think
[www.epcrugby.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2019 12:05 by ale shark.

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 12:10
Actually, reading clause 4 if La Rochelle finish 6th in their league then weíll qualify even if they beat us (assuming Quins finish top 6). La Rochelle are currently 7th, level on points with 6th. Might as well give them an easy game next weekend to save their energy for the rest of the season!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2019 12:12 by ale shark.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 12:35
Saw an article in The Telegraph which was a bit depressing.

It was looking at all the current Prem sides and the last time they were in the top 4 playoffs

Worcs have never done it.
We are then top of charts.........13 years since we were top 4 - I assume that was when we won it.........
Even Bristol beat us - 12 years......

I find it hard to point a finger at coaches when our back line keeps either dropping the ball, throwing passes to any location apart from in front of the receiving player all of which combine for us to really get any consistent set of phase play together. For the quality of the players we have they also need to hold a mirror up at themselves. We just really seemed to have struggled, more than usual, to put together a good consistent prolonged spell this season. As Major put it nicely in his last match report - when I watch Sale now - I have no idea what team will turn up - the one with intensity or the one without.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2019 12:41 by Surbiton Shark.

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 13:08
Certainly the inconsistency is massively disappointing. To me, however, Saturday looked like another example of the team running out of steam just when we should be peaking, and that's because of the small squad. Players like Ross Harrison, WillGriff, Rob Webber, Jono Ross, Sam James, and probably others, must be desperate for the end of the season to come around. As ever at this time of year, though, look forward to next season, when it will all be different!

clutch (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 13:26
This season is the last time the excuse works. Next season with added recruitment there would have to be serious injury issues for us to be satisfied with lower than 6th. Recognising the competitiveness of the league and the fact that all recruiting isnít completed as yet.

philthefluter (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 15:28
Does being `tired` make you go out and play without enthusiasm, without a semblance of a plan, drop the ball and pass it into touch? If so we have been `tired` all season.

You can count our good performances on the fingers of one hand. Two try bonus points speaks volumes - and one of those against a pathetic Tigers team down to 14 men. We even came away from that game feeling disappointed.

The coaches have got to look at themselves or someone has to look at the coaches.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 16:19
The coaches who coached a similar back line last year which scored plenty of bps. Thereís been an issue this year but itís not that simple. Itís a multitude of reasons.

16 April, 2019 15:47
Clutch, I don't know about you but if I have a good year at work then the following year I am expected to do as well as or better - not take a year off! Sport should be no different. I know we have had injuries but so has every other team.

The performance last Saturday was as bad as, probably worse than, the first game of the season at Quins.

That is just inexcusable.

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 21:37
It would be a difficult to work out, but I bet if you were to analyse every team and see how many games their first choice backs have missed, Iím fairly certain weíd be top or near the top.

League info only:

Faf - 13 starts - 68%
AJ - 8 starts - 42%
Yarde - 6 starts - 32%
Rohan - 8 starts - 42%
JoC - 9 starts - 47%
Ashton - 3 starts - 16%

Furthermore, weíve only been able to select the same backline as the previous league game on 4 occasions out of 18.

On the flip side, weíve had very few injuries in the forwards, so not necessarily an excuse for losing games, but I do think itís something that has to be taken into consideration when reviewing our attacking game this year

clutch (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 22:23
We are losing games because our attack is failing. Itís a pretty good excuse.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 08:43
It is often said that forwards win games and the backs decide by how much. If that is so, then maybe the conclusion is that the forwards aren't good enough.

On the subject of numbers of games missed, some like MacGinty and Yarde have just been unlucky. It would have been known in advance that Faf de Klerk and Rohan Van Rensburg would be missing for some games. James O'Connor seems to have had a lengthy run of being injury prone, and it's actually a little surprising he has made as many starts as he has. Chris Ashton has had something of a history of missing games through suspension and on form he would always be likely to be missing several games because of international calls. His injury, though has been 'unexpected'. I'm not sure that figures above are too surprising. Really they only become fully meaningful if compared to players of other clubs, and over several season too.

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 09:21
I canít claim to know the squad injuries of other teams to know for sure, but Iíd be extremely surprised if there are any other teams that have had 5 first choice international backs play fewer than half of their games, this season or any other.

P.s. Rohan has also had an injury so not just his late arrival that has impacted.

17 April, 2019 09:58
Just to put some perspective on this. When we beat Tigers in March they had 11 players missing, two making their premiership debuts and a fourth choice scrum half. So we all have our problems.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 12:12
I think we all agree the pack isnít quite up to it yet. They have performed admirably this season considering.
Teams win games when their pack has an off day. The problem is our backs havenít performed to allow this. So, when our pack doesnít perform, we get battered as the backs invite pressure on us by dropping the call. We canít defend like we did against Sarries and Quins every game. Itís impossible.

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 12:48
Quote:
philthefluter
Just to put some perspective on this. When we beat Tigers in March they had 11 players missing, two making their premiership debuts and a fourth choice scrum half. So we all have our problems.

Yes, and they got smashed!

Iím still not sure they will have met my criteria above though.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 21:09
I think what is being said is that Sale's squad is neither large enough nor good enough to play through a problem time.

Leicester league only:
May 13
Veainu 3
Holmes 7
Tuilagi 12
Tooma 8
Scrum halves:
Youngs 10
White 4
Harrison 4
Simmons 1

I've left off Ford with 17 because the Sale list left off Sam James with 19.

I think Leicester have only managed to field the same back line as the previous game on two occasions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2019 21:39 by DaveAitch.

18 April, 2019 11:58
Quote:
DaveAitch
I think what is being said is that Sale's squad is neither large enough nor good enough to play through a problem time.

No sh*t Sherlock

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
18 April, 2019 14:23
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Quote:
DaveAitch

No sh*t Sherlock
...or as Mr Holmes, the abdominal surgeon, said "alimentary, my dear Watson.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
25 April, 2019 11:29
If we win on Friday, who knows where we could end up....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net