Latest news:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

6th Place Still Alive....
Discussion started by 1972shark , 05 May, 2019 17:20
6th Place Still Alive....
1972shark 05 May, 2019 17:20
Sale now 7th, 1 point behind Bath who go to Leicester last game. A win for us against Gloucester and a defeat for Bath and we finish 6th, a BP win for us and a no BP win for Bath, we still finish 6th, all to play for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 17:27 by 1972shark.

Re: 6th Place Still Alive....
Oldham Shark II 05 May, 2019 17:31
Bath are at Leicester next week, not Exeter, good job they are big rivals. This must be the first time ever I've wanted Cheaters to win a game. Mind you, it seems that if Sorries win Champions Cup, we might be in anyway finishing 7th.

LJK 05 May, 2019 17:41
Was that the same Bath team as played us last week - unrecognisable! I hoped it would end at 17 all draw, but their confidence at the end was telling. With the win in the bag they kicked away possession from the re-start with a minute or two to go. Dalallgio and crew couldn't believe what they were doing.... but it paid off with the bonus point try at the death.
Extra pressure on Sale to get 5 points against Glos. or rely on 3 others to lose their games, which seems unlikely. We'll all be nervously watching other scores on phones as well as the Sale game at the AJ in 2 weeks

Major Bloodnok 05 May, 2019 17:43
And if we don't beat Gloucester, we could end up 9th...

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

1972shark 05 May, 2019 17:44
Sorry Oldham Shark, yr right, Leicester not Exeter, which I think is probably better? Big rivals will want to stop Bath from finishing 6th, anyway, should be a fun afternoon... Edited first post 👍

emerging shark 05 May, 2019 17:53
If Bath beat Leicester it does not matter what we do against Gloucester

clutch 05 May, 2019 18:07
It does if 7th qualifies.
Bath are terrible away from home. Hopefully last game of last season Tigers will turn up!!

Olyy 05 May, 2019 18:08
Do we get in regardless, by virtue of being Challenge cup semi finalists?

From the Euro Rugby site, the 20th spot goes to:

i) Heineken Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified
ii) Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified
iii) Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified
iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Heineken Champions Cup winner

i) Leinster/Sarries will qualify anyway
ii) La Rochelle/Clermont look nailed on to qualify by league position
iii) As above
iv) That would be us vs Quins, except Quins have already qualified by league table position

1972shark 05 May, 2019 18:15
Actually if Bath beat Leicester by less than 4 tries and we beat Gloucester with a BP, we finish 6th by virtue of winning more games (I think)

DaveAitch 05 May, 2019 18:23
5th: bonus point win and all other results favourable, especially Harlequins not getting losing bonus point and/or try bonus point.
6th: get 1 more point than Bath, Harlequins getting 1 or more points, other results favourable
7th: status quo maintained by
8th: overtaken by Wasps or Bristol (each needs 4 points more than Sale obtain)
9th: overtaken by Wasps and Bristol

FarnhamShark 05 May, 2019 20:40
Quote:
Olyy

iv) Play-off match between the losing Challenge Cup semi-finalists, if not already qualified
v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Heineken Champions Cup winner

iii) As above
iv) That would be us vs Quins, except Quins have already qualified by league table position

Would (v) mean an Irish team if Leinster beat Sarries?

Irish_Shark 05 May, 2019 22:20
Quote:
FarnhamShark
Quote:
Olyy

iii) As above

Would (v) mean an Irish team if Leinster beat Sarries?

A welsh team since all the Irish teams finished in top 3 of both conferences of pro14

Major Bloodnok 05 May, 2019 22:27
Quote:
Olyy

iii) As above

Where I'm suspicious is that the losing Champions' Cup finalist isn't in the list. I'd expect it to be either second or third. Not that it would make a difference, but it makes me wonder at the veracity of the list.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg

Irish_Shark 06 May, 2019 01:27
The list is the same as the one on the epcr website.

Crutch 06 May, 2019 02:06
5-9th going into a final game at home with a tired first team is ominously similar to last year....

Letís hope for a better outcome this time around.

thekeg 06 May, 2019 10:13
Wouldnt we automatically go through under 4 if LR finish top 6 and Quins automatically qualify? To skip over us just because Quins have qualified wouldnít make sense

Major Bloodnok 06 May, 2019 10:35
Quote:
Irish_Shark
The list is the same as the one on the epcr website.

I'm just wondering why the losing Champions' Cup finalists don't get in there when the losing Challenge Cup finalists do (not to mention semi-finalists...). Is it an attempt to make the Challenge Cup more meaningful?

I agree that, based on the list and given that La Rochelle qualify by league position, either Quins go through on league position and we get through on clause (iv) or we qualify on league position and Quins go through on clause (iv), since we're the lowest-placed team that could push them out of 6th.

clutch 06 May, 2019 11:25
Surely the play off option is void.

So either we qualify virtue of no one to play in the play off, or it moves to the final, Sarries dependent option.

HartfordShark 06 May, 2019 11:38
I was originally of the belief that the playoff option would be void (based on Quins already qualifying through league position). However, if La Rochelle finish top 6 then it would appear we may qualify via the playoff route (with no need for a playoff). The below article certainly intimates that this would be the case based on how it could affect the prospects of the Pro 14 teams...

[www.rugbypass.com]

However, come what may we need to ensure we do our best to finish top 6 regardless. I'm sure the EPRC will clarify matters this week and a lot might rest on La Rochelle finishing top 6 in the French league. And seeing as they finish the week after us that final week of waiting could be tortuous!

clutch 06 May, 2019 12:06
I know it isnít the case but imagine battling to the semi final of the Champions Cup and not qualifying for Europe.
Oh well, we will take it. Can but a second team out next week for the EQ bonus

M5 Shark 06 May, 2019 13:26
Obviously depending on who we may get in the top tier euro cup group stages, I often wonder what is better for the club....

- Challenge Cup matches where we have a strong chance of getting to the knockout stages, gaining momentum by winning euro matches and taking that to the GP, but not attracting further top players, lower attendances, less money (?) from the organisers, rotate some of our top players (although that only happen On a couple of occasions this term)

- Champions Cup matches where we are likely to be a bottom seed and face 2-3 very good Euro sides and lower chance to qualify for knockout sides, expect to be beaten and lessen our confidence in terms of GP momentum, play our top players every game as well as in the GP, more income from attendances and organisers(?), but build a bigger squad and attract more top players

thekeg 06 May, 2019 13:37
If we want to keep our owners and better players then we need to have ambition and aim to be in the best competitions. That will involve some short term issues playing better sides, but we wonít improve if we are outside the top competition

philthefluter 06 May, 2019 15:11
I don't think you would find anyone, Players, Management or Fans who wouldn't prefer to be in the Champions Cup

Timperley Shark 06 May, 2019 15:39
Not just us who may be waiting....
[www.bbc.co.uk]

M5 Shark 06 May, 2019 16:27
Quote:
philthefluter
I don't think you would find anyone, Players, Management or Fans who wouldn't prefer to be in the Champions Cup

And what if that results in relegation from the GP?

thekeg 06 May, 2019 16:55
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
philthefluter

It will never ďresult in relegationĒ, it just means you have more tough games but you need to work around that and recruit accordingly. I really donít understand the mentality of not wanting to be in the champions cup, itís completely defeatist, surely the point of professional support is to try and test yourself at the highest level

Irish_Shark 06 May, 2019 18:05
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
philthefluter

Considering we started the season with a squad of less than 30 senior players with half a dozen either injured or on international duty throughout and we're still pushing top 6 we should still avoid relegation next year
No offence to the squad that Newcastle built but we have made some very strong signings and already probably have a stronger squad on paper.

clutch 06 May, 2019 18:05
Itís not why Newcastle went down. They werenít a top 4 team last year, and thereís very little between 4-12.
If anything our European exploits have taken more toll. We did rest players at first but we picked pretty much full choice teams often, and against good opposition.

As long as we recruit to have the 36 quality players we will be fine. Historically the second 15 was significantly weaker. Now it has a Curry, AJ, Luke James, McGuigan, John, Warthog etc.

philthefluter 06 May, 2019 18:32
I`m sure most of us would risk relegation rather than suffer another season of being subjected to disinterested French reserve teams. As The keg says, you don`t play professional sport to aim to be mediocre. I'm sure the owners would be off like a shot if they thought that was the case.

Olyy 06 May, 2019 18:59
Ask Lood de Jager or Faf de Klerk if they'd rather be putting 80pts on Calvisano or experiencing Thomond Park on European match day

StalyShark 06 May, 2019 19:17
I wrote the post below a week or so ago. If you look at the ďChallenge CupĒ team you can see a lot of decent rotation options where we can rest players for a week or so.

**At time of writing, a team for the Championsí Cup:

Harrison
Webber
John
Beaumont
de Jšger
Ross
T Curry
Strauss
Faf
AJ/RdP
Yarde
RJVR
S James
Solomona
Ashton

van der Merve
Morozov
Cooper-Woolley
Phillips
B Curry
Cliff
AJ/RdP
JOC
McGuigan

Some team!

However, if we end up in the Challenge Cup and put the above team out in the league:

Morozov
van der Merve
Cooper-Woolley
Evans
Phillips
Nield
B Curry
Moore
Cliff
AJ/RdP
McGuigan
Redpath
JOC
Reed
L James

Langdon
Bristow
Jones
Postlethwaite
Nott
Warr
Wilkinson
Odogwu

That team would do some damage too! Getting very exciting!**

ale shark 06 May, 2019 20:24
Olly - surely we haven't signed vd Merve to be second choice behind Webber?

My issue with the Champions Cup is it's very, very hard to progress beyond the group stage. Realistically there's only about 6 teams (if that) that can compete to win it and one of them is in each group. If a team loses their first home game then it's almost impossible to get out of the group. Newcastle has a couple of heroic results and performances but still came bottom of their group. Exeter still canít seem to get their act together in Europe and theyíve been competing at the highest level for a number of years now.

clutch 06 May, 2019 21:47
Webber has been v good. Itís going to take a big effort to overtake him. Though Webber only has a couple of years left, so heíll be phased out Iím sure at some point.

thekeg 06 May, 2019 21:55
I think hooker will be an interesting contest next year, I certainly donít think itís clear cut that AVDM will be coming as first choice

StalyShark 06 May, 2019 21:59
Quote:
thekeg
I think hooker will be an interesting contest next year, I certainly donít think itís clear cut that AVDM will be coming as first choice

Webber could either be used to start and tire out the opposition or could be used to sure up the scrum with the subs. Autumn/Spring Akker at 2 and winter Webber maybe.

Crutch 06 May, 2019 22:22
Iíd expect genuine rotation next year and whoeverís on the bench to get a good 20-30 mins.

Webberís performances have been remarkable considering the mins heís been asked to play.

chrissmith_79 07 May, 2019 11:57
I think the potential of 6th this season is remarkable. I watch from a distance and believe we spend £2.5m less that Worcester and Newcastle.The players, staff, owners should be over the moon. If what I read is correct, the 8 new internationals arriving will make us even more competitive. I will buy a season ticket again.

clutch 07 May, 2019 12:16
Iíve heard some fans suggest our squad is as good as if not better than the teams around us. It isnít. Finishing 6th this season will be our greatest achievement under the Diamond reign.

PoyntonShark 07 May, 2019 13:11
Agreed. Our first XV is as good as most, stiff competition for anyone in the league, but the squad isn't deep or big enough to compete consistently with the best.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

clutch 07 May, 2019 13:44
Absolutely. Depth is the issue, though Iíd argue Wasps and Bath have better first 15s as well. Think we are better than Quins.
Itís easy to overrate our players and put the blame on the coaches when anything goes wrong.

DaveAitch 07 May, 2019 13:52
Quote:
clutch
Iíve heard some fans suggest our squad is as good as if not better than the teams around us. It isnít. Finishing 6th this season will be our greatest achievement under the Diamond reign.
Better than the 6th place in 2013-2014 with 59 points and twelve wins?

clutch 07 May, 2019 15:17
We had Cipriani then! And a firing Addison. Less competitive league as well.
Iím basing it on how much with have stuttered all season and battled through. We played some great stuff that year. Plus, we had very few injuries that year.

thekeg 07 May, 2019 16:39
Quote:
DaveAitch
Quote:
clutch
Better than the 6th place in 2013-2014 with 59 points and twelve wins?

I agree, we had cips but around him were a lot of home products and ďAldi signingsĒ

DaveAitch 07 May, 2019 17:20
Well, it, 2013-2014 was the one season that Sale finished higher than Exeter in the Premiership. That must be worth something.

ale shark 07 May, 2019 17:37
Crikey, some of them Aldi players! Who on earth was Kirill Kulemin?

clutch 07 May, 2019 17:51
A large Russian!!

thekeg 07 May, 2019 18:11
Quote:
ale shark

A penalty machine!

StalyShark 07 May, 2019 19:00
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
ale shark

A penalty machine!

Surely Brent Cockbain had that moniker!

thekeg 07 May, 2019 20:24
Quote:
StalyShark
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
ale shark

A penalty machine!

Surely Brent Cockbain had that moniker!

Yes they had that in common. I remember kulemin coming off the bench and giving away 3 in what must have been 3 minutes, not sure he was seen again

clutch 07 May, 2019 20:47
The final one resulting in a yellow!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net