rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Sale player of the year
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 09:35
For me, this is between Rob Webber and Sam James with honourable mentions to Luke James, Josh B,Ross H, and Jono Ross.

Sam probably gets it, if only because he has been asked to play in 3 different positions this year and performed creditably in each. I hope that next year he is allowed to just concentrate on OC though, where, at his best, he is one of the best in the Prem.

I hope he is rested against Glos though - the lad is clearly knackered.

Rob has had a good season as well. He should be first choice to start next season and AVDM needs to dislodge him on merit.

Re: Sale player of the year
thekeg (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 10:20
Sam James has done well to cover so many positions but I think itís really affected his form in the last couple of months, so heís not in the mix for me.

Iíd go Webber or Jono Ross. Tom curry outstanding but not played for us as much.

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 10:22
Phillips.

Or Webber.

Or Jonno.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Tigster (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 10:49
It's Sam J or Rob W for me. They have both given their all for the club this year without much of the glory. How one chooses between Sam's selfless contribution and Rob's brutal commitment, I have no idea. Faf and Jono have transformed us but these guys have been the glue.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 11:59
Rob Webber for me, he's been in outstanding form

Honourable mentions to Jono, the Currys and the James brothers

If the Du Preez brothers had been around longer they'd be up there

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 12:07
I'd also go for Rob Webber. I like the mention of Phillips, though - if there was an award for the player who's most exceeded expectations, he'd walk it for me.

thekeg (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 12:59
Quote:
FarnhamShark
I'd also go for Rob Webber. I like the mention of Phillips, though - if there was an award for the player who's most exceeded expectations, he'd walk it for me.

Agreed, on absolute terms heís not been our best player, but heís performed very well and I imagine e heís great value for money as well

Flumpty (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 14:11
Quote:
FarnhamShark

& for flumpty jnr and me as well - there's something alpha male with the big bloke putting himself about the pitch, game after game.
To round the season off, I'd love to see hime doing a "pennell" against 36 in the last league game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 14:13 by Flumpty.

Crutch (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 14:26
Quote:
FarnhamShark

Totally agree with both parts of this.

Lots of extenuating circumstances and I really like him as a player, but Sam James shouldnít be anywhere near consideration based on form this year.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 14:33
To be honest all of our forward pack could put their hand in the air for player of year - workrate and commitment bar the odd aberration has been brilliant...........out of the backs considering Luke James age he's also been shuffled around and although he's no Jason Robinson he's been solid at fullback which can't be an easy transition so a very honourable mention to him.

thekeg (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 15:27
I should have mentioned Harrison as well, another incredible effort playing in virtually every game and often for 70/75 mins

clutch (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 18:42
Sam James?!!!

Itís Jono. Heís already won it hasnít it? Not even sure itís that debatable though as discussed Webber has been v good, and if it was a pound for pound decision definitely Phillips.
Harrisonís scrum work has improved as well, but he doesnít carry well enough to make the player of season grade.

Luke James needs an eponymous award. The Luke James award for doing remarkably well, when flung in at the deep end.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
10 May, 2019 00:38
Ben Curry for me. Played brilliantly throughout the autumn in his brothers absence; and now playing brilliantly with his brother on the other flank.

A fag paper behind is Webber who has been utterly consistent and durable all season. Likewise Jono.

H's D (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 11:53
Sam James.
Essential Cog award: Top for: games played (30), minutes played (2350), off-loads (27+), try assists (5+). Close second for metres made (1217/1223) and defenders beaten (42+/45+). A facilitator par excellence.
(+) = Premiership only stat.

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 13:38
Quote:
H's D
Sam James.
Essential Cog award: Top for: games played (30), minutes played (2350), off-loads (27+), try assists (5+). Close second for metres made (1217/1223) and defenders beaten (42+/45+). A facilitator par excellence.
(+) = Premiership only stat.

No surprise here smiling smiley

H's D (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 14:18
Just needs to cut out on the odd gross error: interceptions, tackles missed, the occasional poor kick.
He's always been a confidence player. As he gains more experience, his decision-making will improve further.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 19:24
Unfortunately he was as much use as a powder puff defensively today. Banahan had him on toast.

clutch (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 19:27
He wasnít playing opposite Banahan. I doubt it was that simple. His try was Tom Curryís fault by the looks of it.

H's D (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 19:30
John O'Connor played 12 opposite Banahan, 'twas he who seemed somewhat reluctant to tackle....but even our back row had trouble coping with him...

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 19:30
It's was Webber's missed tackle that allowed Banahan to waltz in

I say missed tackle but I think that's an insult to tackle attempts all over the world. He looked in banahans direction and decided against it

H's D (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 19:34
Banahan waltzed/two stepped/twisted through quite a few times....

yukon (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 20:13
Iím surprised Dennyís name isnít in the mix, heís been superb this year

clutch (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 20:17
Difficult when our attack has been so poor but being joint top try scorer is pretty remarkable.

Crutch (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 20:57
Denny was off form for the first eight games or so. Heís been great since then and his try today was an amazing finish.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 21:09
Dennyís a lethal finisher, but hasnít seen enough of the ball to be player of the season. However, what do I know - Greenwood has him in his team of the season. To score that many tries with so little possession is a real feat.

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 21:24
Aye he had a slow start and I believe was dealing with some off field/personal issues early on in the season - his form of late, though, has been as good as anyone.
His defence has improved massively and he's always looking for work - his finishing abilities speak for themselves.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 09:56
Quote:
clutch
He wasnít playing opposite Banahan. I doubt it was that simple. His try was Tom Curryís fault by the looks of it.

It's not that simple. The modern game inevitably means that players run multiple different lines and Banahan in particular ran at Sam on several occasions. Sam struggled to cope. Having said that, I thought Banahan was absolutely superb yesterday, both at breaking the line and some delightful offloads. If that had been van Cannonball, we would be salivating on here and rightly so.

clutch (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 10:03
Definitely. Him and Polledri were excellent

Olyy (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 11:37
On the topic of player of the year, the results of the club's awards last night are:

Try of the season - Marland Yarde v Harlequins

Community player - Johnny Leota

Recognition award - Craig Monaghan

Young player - Luke James

Playersí player - Ben Curry

clutch (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 12:55
Webberís miss but not really his fault. Wasnít his man and heís not exactly mobile. Combination of things but T Curry the most at fault.

Quote:
Olyy
It's was Webber's missed tackle that allowed Banahan to waltz in
I say missed tackle but I think that's an insult to tackle attempts all over the world. He looked in banahans direction and decided against it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net