rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

When does this forum "go dark" for the last time ?
Flumpty (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 16:30
Due to the outstanding efforts of a few individuals, a new Sale Sharks forum has been started on view from the 22.
As far as I can tell (from a posters perspective), it has all of the good things from this site, plus a lot more functionality and none of the bad things of this site.

In the past, the Major has repeatedly asked for regular contributions to keep the rugby network site alive, which sadly seems to fall upon deaf ears and from time to time the site goes "dormant".

Given that we are now out of season, would it be a fair suggestion to put this site to bed once and for all and when it goes dark, leave it dark.

The new site is very much an improvement over this Rugby Network site and with additional users/contributors/posts it will nicely chug along until the season resumes in the Autumn.

How about euthanising this site on 31st May and putting it out of (the admins !) misery ?

Re: When does this forum "go dark" for the last time ?
Tigger (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 16:55
I have one article in the bank (thank you Yareet) which I will post next Monday/Tuesday. I will continue to do so as long as I get them...is posters don't want to continue with this forum I will stop and let it die.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 17:29
The two forums have been running side-side now for about a month (whilst the new forum was established at the end of last year, it is only recently been attracting regular posts).

I would suggest that Tigger posts the one article he has which will keep this forum going for a couple of weeks or so longer, but that any new threads are started on the new forum.

An occasional post in the meantime on the 'Sticky' thread on this forum regarding the new forum, explaining that the intention is to let this forum die a natural death, will ensure that irregular visitors see the red 'new' tag next to the thread and will therefore be encouraged to click on the thread. Otherwise, we run the risk of such people not knowing that the intention is to move across altogether. When this forum then disappears, they would have to actively search for a Sale forum.

Alternatively, there must be simple way of keeping this site alive, with minimal contributions, but re-directing casual visitors as both Quins and Glos manage it.

The worst of both worlds is the Wasps situation, where they are running two active forums, often making the same points, which is what, in effect, we have now. Hopefully temporarily.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 18:38
The big downside to all these new forums is that they are standalones, in spite of 23's efforts to set up a site catering for all. Glos, I believe, are back-to-front in that Shedweb came before the Sportsnetwork forum. I, every-so-often, look at other Sportsnetwork sites (including those not in the premiership), but Shedweb and the new Quins site have had hardly a glance. I think Wasps also set up another site fairly recently, and, of course, we had the Mrs. T inspired 1810 Pizza Company which came into being at a time that Sportsnetwork was having significant problems.

The suggestions above are all very well but there should be a poll to see if that is what the majority actually want (which is likely to be the case).

clutch (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 18:42
Does the new forum allow you to publish articles?

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 20:37
Regarding other clubs forums, we could always have a sticky which lists each club and their most upto date weblink to the "forum list" page

ale shark (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 21:23
86 have signed up for the new forum so far.

iBozz (IP Logged)
29 May, 2019 22:08
On another thread I asked for articles to keep this Forum alive and posted an email address to which to send them.

I have had only one single solitary offer from someone to write an article, as yet unfulfilled, and then a thundering and deafening silence.

It seems that the majority are happy to use the forum just so long as someone else (usually The Major) does all the work.

It is, I fear, a symptom of the times. Many local charities these days are failing because no-one seems to want to volunteer to do things that they presumably thibk work by magic and thus take for granted.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
30 May, 2019 09:29
Quote:
iBozz

It seems that the majority are happy to use the forum just so long as someone else (usually The Major) does all the work.

It is, I fear, a symptom of the times. Many local charities these days are failing because no-one seems to want to volunteer to do things that they presumably thibk work by magic and thus take for granted.

Mini & Junior Rugby Fixtures work in a similar way - the Fixture Fairy waves his/her magic wand and magically the miracle of Mini & Junior rugby apperas on pitches around the country every Sunday.

Yareet (IP Logged)
30 May, 2019 15:34
Quote:
iBozz
On another thread I asked for articles to keep this Forum alive and posted an email address to which to send them.
I have had only one single solitary offer from someone to write an article, as yet unfulfilled, and then a thundering and deafening silence.

I fear that may have been me. In which case, Tigger has the article. Mea culpa

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 May, 2019 18:33
Quote:
Yareet
Quote:
iBozz

I fear that may have been me. In which case, Tigger has the article. Mea culpa

I name no names, but thanks for supplying an article no matter who received it.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
31 May, 2019 05:32
I guess that answers the question then. 2 weeks after that article is uploaded, this site goes dark.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Yareet (IP Logged)
31 May, 2019 11:49
Quote:
PoyntonShark
I guess that answers the question then. 2 weeks after that article is uploaded, this site goes dark.

Ooh do I get the honour of the last article? Kinda feels like it should be somebody higher up. My votes for the Major

Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
31 May, 2019 13:56
Poynters: probably two weeks, maybe three, who knows?

Yareet: I may well put up a "so long and thanks for all the fish" post directing peeps to the new site.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
31 May, 2019 14:19
I've signed on to the new forum.

My security software is certainly happier with it than it is with Rugby Network. Even now it is repeatedly flashing up recommendations to be cautious.

One observation, am I missing something or does VF22 not have an equivalent of the "new" indication?

While I'm at it I may as well mention one useful feature on the only other forum I frequent. It has the option within a thread to go to the first unread post which saves scrolling through all the posts previously read. Again, not indispensable, but useful especially when a thread runs to several pages

Yareet (IP Logged)
31 May, 2019 15:11
Quote:
ageinghoody

One observation, am I missing something or does VF22 not have an equivalent of the "new" indication?

While I'm at it I may as well mention one useful feature on the only other forum I frequent. It has the option within a thread to go to the first unread post which saves scrolling through all the posts previously read. Again, not indispensable, but useful especially when a thread runs to several pages

Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Pretty certain on other forums powered by the same software that there’s a function whereby you click an icon next to the thread name and it takes you automatically to the first new message since your last visit. (And another one to go to the most recent comment).

Yeah that's what the star does

Answered on the other "Thank WiganSaler" thread

H's D (IP Logged)
31 May, 2019 23:35
Have the editors tried using my suggestion to keep the forum open?
It is after all the regular uploads of articles which are critical, a long dated publication date might just work???

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 09:15
If the intention is to move to the other forum, we somehow need to keep the landing page for this forum alive so that irregular visitors can see a message to visit the new forum.

How can this be done? There must be a way as both the Quins and Glos forums manage this without them ever disappearing altogether as ours has on occasions

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 10:09
Harlequins do seem able to keep their board running without a recent update. The last headline article is dated 20th March.

Gloucester is updated regularly and frequently, it would seem, having had several over the last month or so. The Gloucester forum is different in that it has only ever seems to have had a handful of contributors, coming, as it did, after the original forum.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 10:22
Quote:
Yareet
Ooh do I get the honour of the last article? Kinda feels like it should be somebody higher up. My votes for the Major

This is an egalitarian society you know. I think you are perfectly entitled to the 'honour' of last article. I suppose, given the awesome, unforgiving power that he wields, the Major may be more equal than others, but, as his being hacked off with the whole SN article business is what has finally jump started this move the view from, I think it would be somewhat ironic, perhaps even downright cruel, to push him into the final article.

I was going to add that the moderators may also be more equal than others but then remembered that Tigger is a moderator. I don't think that the two concepts, "moderators are more equal than others" and "Tigger is a moderator", could co-exist in the same universe.

'Cause we were raised

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 10:23
Maybe someone who could understand the answer could ask Quins or Glos how they do it?

Yareet (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 11:07
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Quote:
Yareet

This is an egalitarian society you know. I think you are perfectly entitled to the 'honour' of last article. I suppose, given the awesome, unforgiving power that he wields, the Major may be more equal than others, but, as his being hacked off with the whole SN article business is what has finally jump started this move the view from, I think it would be somewhat ironic, perhaps even downright cruel, to push him into the final article.

I was going to add that the moderators may also be more equal than others but then remembered that Tigger is a moderator. I don't think that the two concepts, "moderators are more equal than others" and "Tigger is a moderator", could co-exist in the same universe.

[cdn.shopify.com]

H's D (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 20:07
I'll try AGAIN.
The Major, i think, postulated that it was the LAST UPLOAD DATE that kept the board "alive". i.e. you could upload any article for a publicaton date long in the future and then, a week later, delete it. Then repeat the process. Thus keeping the board open but without any new (published) stories.The same story can be used repeatdly!
PLEASE CAN YOU TRY IT! A weekly tedious chore, but far easier than obtaining new "COPY"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 20:09 by H's D.

01 June, 2019 21:12
H's D. Yes, I know, I understand. I can't be arsed. I'm fed up with this place.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg

Flumpty (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 22:10
Quote:
Major Bloodnok
H's D. Yes, I know, I understand. I can't be arsed. I'm fed up with this place.

Said like a true volunteer that's absolutely hacked off.

H's D (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 23:15
Fair enough Major, fully appreciate your POV. Just wondered if any of the others could be arsed, that's all. I thought you were on your hols!
Happy to move, but as others have indicated it really needs a tombstone/permanent signpost left here indicating where people have gone for when most might next look for Sharks gossip - towards the beginning of the new season....so the site needs to stay LIVE!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 23:21 by H's D.

ale shark (IP Logged)
01 June, 2019 23:44
Is there anything free we can do to bump the site up on google?

H's D (IP Logged)
02 June, 2019 12:53
This site, or the new one?
It takes time and effort!

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 June, 2019 18:46
Quick question....

Do I post the article tomorrow or do I wait until the forum goes dark (bearing in mind it could be dark for 48 hours) ?

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

iBozz (IP Logged)
02 June, 2019 19:37
Judging by the lack of enthusiasm by the majority to try the new Forum, I'd say let it go dark for 48 hours - it may help to concentrate the minds of the apparently apathetic.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 07:21
Quote:
Tigger
Quick question....
Do I post the article tomorrow or do I wait until the forum goes dark (bearing in mind it could be dark for 48 hours) ?

Put it out of its misery and have a clean break from RugbyNetwork

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 07:21 by Flumpty.

H's D (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 07:28
Can you judge 'enthusiasm' out of season?
Most (non-contributing) readers may not look for Sale stuff at all at this time of year.

iBozz (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 08:13
Quote:
H's D
Can you judge 'enthusiasm' out of season?
Most (non-contributing) readers may not look for Sale stuff at all at this time of year.

They've had enough warning over the last few months since the new Forum appeared, and over the years with The Major's request for articles.

Patience only lasts so long. Why should we hold their hands?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 08:58
It would seem that most of those who might write an article for here have already decided to move to the new forum.

Before the inevitable happens, this site closing, I would like to say thanks to all those who have kept it alive over the years.

We have always believed that it is necessary to post a 'front page' every couple of weeks or so. Now, I haven't examined all forums but noticeably Harlequins and, perhaps more so, Wasps seem to keep things going with very sporadic updates. Out of interest, I looked to 'start' a new forum on Rugbynetwork. There appear to be several ways to keep a forum afloat, as long as something is updated at certain intervals. Maybe Harlequins and Wasps have found a way to do this automatically.

H's D (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 12:19
Why should we hold their hands?
Simple: to help try and ensure the new site succeeds!
Unless of course you think <100 using the new site is enough.

iBozz (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 12:57
Quote:
H's D
Why should we hold their hands?
Simple: to help try and ensure the new site succeeds!
Unless of course you think <100 using the new site is enough.

by holding their hands I meant keeping this Forum alive just because less than 100 care enough to move or enter into discourse about moving.

The fact that less than 100 have moved merely reinforces the impression of complete apathy and a "just so long as someone else does it" attitude.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 13:37
Are there any volunteers to take on the admin of this board, and keep the lights on?

H's D (IP Logged)
03 June, 2019 13:55
Quote:
M5
Are there any volunteers to take on the admin of this board, and keep the lights on?
Certainly if all it involves is a weekly/fortnightly deletion & re-upload of a story.
Quote:
iBozz
The fact that less than 100 have moved merely reinforces the impression of complete apathy and a "just so long as someone else does it" attitude.
Are you sure more than 100 actually look at the board during the whole the off-season?
It's a @#$%& poor time to judge IMHO.
Surely most will only do anything if and when there appears to be something interesting going on at SS and it's reflected in a board's activity. Even if, at that point it's merely reading the content? Can the new board measure individual views?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
04 June, 2019 08:58
Quote:
M5 Shark
I think there are several who would have done a few years ago, but too many people seem to have moved on to other things, both in terms of this forum and Sale Sharks themselves, without being replaced by new 'customers'.

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 June, 2019 10:07
By 'eckythump, H's D, you're either in a grumpy or a Devil's Advocate mood! grinning smiley

It may have escaped the notice of this august and highly esteemed Forum that The Major has been screaming in vain for front page stories for several years. You yourself, having been a Moderator (and possibly also an Editor, I know not), will be fully aware that sportnetwork is creaking, has many unresolved bugs, has broken features. has a generally unresponsive "support" function and is old technology with no apparent plans for update. It makes sense to move to another platform, whether that be 23Shark's version or another is the matter being discussed - or, due to apathy, not discussed.

Where are these volunteers "Certainly" willing to assume the Editor mantle? They can't even be bothered to write a single article to keep the Forum alive, let alone try to keep on top of topics and posts. You yourself resigned as a Moderator as have several others. I can't speak for Tigger or yukon, but I offered to help Moderate in order to remove some of the pressure off The Major - I'm not sure that there was an avalanche of offers at that time so why would now be any different?

As I said above, I gave an email address to which people could send articles for the front page. I had one response (the article was submitted to Tigger) and a deafening silence from everyone else - not one single email has arrived, either offering articles or submitting actual articles.

As for the timing, you say that the close season isn't the time to move. Would it really be more appropriate to move mid-season when posting is at its height? Most "major" IT system (and non-IT system) changes are done at the period of lowest traffic else chaos ensues sure as night follows day.

By 'eckythump, iBozz, you're either in a grumpy or a Devil's Advocate mood! grinning smiley

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
04 June, 2019 10:35
I think you are missing hobblers point. I'm sure he will correct me if required, but I don't believe he is advocating not moving, merely trying to fathom a non onerous mechanism for keeping the lights on here. So that when those who do not read during close season come back, they will not be left wondering where we have all burgered off to

'Cause we were raised

04 June, 2019 12:29
As I said, I'll put up a final "so long and thanks for all the fish" front page post that contains the directions to the new place. Also (assuming Anne is the owner), we can point salerugby.co.uk to the new site, so anyone who comes in through that route will go there automagically.

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 June, 2019 13:11
Quote:
PoyntonShark
I think you are missing hobblers point.

My entire abject failure of a life has been spent for ever missing the point. Even the most hardened Village Idiot outranks me in the thinking stakes. (Sm72)

H's D (IP Logged)
04 June, 2019 16:26
Now that I can agree with iBozz....
Several points iBozz : if you actually read my posts it would help!
Poynters is absolutely correct in what he posts. If he and the Major can understand my posts, you can too...
It is clear that I'm neutral over moving.
"certainly" was in response to being asked if I was prepared to volunteer to do the tedious work involved in maintaining a tombstone presence on the actual discussion board.
Irrelevent now as the Major's option for a "thanks for the fish" on the front page of the whole site is far more preferable.
And, as you well know, it's ancient history I didn't really choose to resign. More a question of committing harakiri, having perhaps misinterpreted someone's heinous actions wrt a poster, and gone somewhat OTT in response. That person is now banned of course. So I feel somewhat vindicated.

......anyway why are you on here? YOU HAVE ACCOUNTS TO PERUSE!

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 June, 2019 22:08
I do indeed - this weekend. Life is somewhat hectic at the moment and I am barely treading waters on the family front engaged, as I am, in every day having to fight two unconnected and seriously dysfunctional arms of the NHS. Not an excuse, but a reason.

Yareet (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 12:33
3 weeks since the last visible front page article and the Board carries on.

HOW IS IT STILL ALIVE?????

clutch (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 13:55
The Keith Richards if message boards.

11 June, 2019 18:43
Maybe it's because we're in the off season.

Or maybe it's because the underlying software is a bit crapold.

H's D (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 22:28
Did anyone upload (but not publish) an article for a later publication date as was proposed.
If they did that would explain it.

Tigger (IP Logged)
16 June, 2019 09:27
No one has done anything....its a waiting game.....

16 June, 2019 11:55
Quote:
H's D
Did anyone upload (but not publish) an article for a later publication date as was proposed.
If they did that would explain it.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

AIUI, the timer is only reset if the article is actually published[\i], but it restarts from the date of [i]upload.

Yes, I know it doesn't make sense, but I didn't write the software.

AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
18 June, 2019 22:30
Always sad to lose another SN site, but yes, I understand why.
As for updates, I believe you need to actually publish to pre-empt 'going dark', and I wonder if there is actually any built-in intelligence in that part of the software.
I certainly know there are some sites (not necessarily rugby ones) that haven't been updated for an awful long time yet are still extant.
However, some seem to get shut down if they overstep the notional rules by a day or two.
No logic there.
Ours (Cov) used to be shut down fairly often under the previous admin (he's a busy guy and just didn't have time). I took over last year (i also had a hand in it a few years ago) and have managed to keep it online ever since (not bragging; I'm just time-rich). Going back a bit, iirc, one had to comply with a minimum word count kinda thing, which was quite onerous, but I reckon that's gone by the board now and you can get away with fairly minimal length updates.
Someone on here mentioned Wasps keeping theirs going without updates. Not true. It went down several times last season, consistent with the lack of updates.
Anyway, that's my take fwiw! Cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net