rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

In Memoriam - SharkofKent (Nigel) died 12/02/2007
CEintheSun (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 17:11
It is with a huge amount of regret I have to tell you Nigel Paine - known to everyone here as SharkofKent - died over the weekend.

Nigel travelled with us to most European games and was a well known face at many supporters club events.

As rugby was Nigel's biggest passion in life, the SSSC have decided they would like to mark his passing by making a donation to the Matt Hampson Trust. If you would like to contribute please send a cheque made payable to the SSSC, to us c/o Edgeley Park, Hardcastle Road, Stockport. SK3 9DD. Alternatively you can hand your donations to us at the SSSC table in the Beer Village at the London Irish game.

On a personal note, Nigel is someone I will miss, he was a true gentleman. He was a single man and we don't know his family but I feel a donation to Matt is something he would appreciate.

Thanks everybody.

Edited to change thread title.

"Sh*t he's got an axe" he said as he turned and ran out of the room.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2010 19:23 by CheadleEnder.

Re: SharkofKent - RIP
USsharksfan (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 18:01
Well that really @#$%& sucks! I am truly truly sorry for his family and friends and I hope that they are all doing ok.

In the few exchanges that we had SoK was friendly, sharing and above all a gentleman. He was a true sharks fan! Which in my book makes him one hell of a guy.

I hope all the sharks fans that knew him personally are ok, my thoughts and prayers go out to Nigel, his family and his friends.

crap

Go Sharks!

iBozz (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 18:13
Absolutely dreadful news.

He was a regular pre-match breakfaster at T'Oak and he will be sorely missed.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

sue b (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 18:44
This is really sad news. Nigel sat next to our group and as CE says, was a true gentleman. He was always friendly and approachable, and I'm going to miss him. :-/

Sue B
http://www.boler.co.uk/butterfly.gif

---It's the music of a people who expect to win again---

14 February, 2007 18:49
God bless SoK... our thoughts and prayers are with your family

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 19:02
So sorry to hear about SharkofKent, our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

f (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 19:05
RIP Sok, you're in our thoughts and prayers.

'There's only one f in adam'

14 February, 2007 19:10
I was very upset to read about Nigel.
I first met him in the Royal Oak before one of our games some time ago. I subsequently bumped into him at various away games and the Royal Oak. We normally had a long chat about how Sale were doing as I found him a very easy person to talk to.
We will miss you Nigel.

Joe90 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 20:11
We too are saddened and shocked by the news. I only spoke to him a couple of weeks ago.

Nigel was a genuinely nice chap, quiet and unassuming, and a true and devoted Sale fan. We travelled with him to many matches, both home and abroad, and he will be sadly missed.

We think a donation to the Matt Hampson Trust in his name is a particularly good and apt idea.

Joe, Ginny & Rosie
B-]

My only weakness is a listed crime.....

14 February, 2007 21:11
That indeed is awful news and my sincere condolences go to his family.

Glossopshark (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 21:13
Met him on a couple of occasions and although only knew him briefly, he always stopped for a chat.

My heartfelt condolences to his friends & family

Richard & Kirstin

Glossopshark - Of no fixed abode (seat-wise!)

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 21:31
So long fella. Safe journey.

Following TheSaleSharks and SaleRugbyNews on Twitter

Basque-ing Shark (IP Logged)
14 February, 2007 21:50
Terrible news.... A true gentleman! He will be sadly missed. RIP
My thoughts and prayers are with Nigel's family.

Roger

oracle316 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2007 07:04
Condolences to his family. A cracking fella

Andy

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to there own level then beat you with experience!"

15 February, 2007 10:48
Shocking news. Condolences to friends and family.

http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.foster1/graphics/strinesiansaleaniansig.gif
South Stand Massive, New Birtles, Dumplington

Auntie Angel Shark (IP Logged)
15 February, 2007 11:19
Very shocked - Tricky rang me earlier to tell me and this is my first opportunity to get to the computer since then.

We met up with Nigel last September before the Worcester away game. He had seen the post saying we'd be in the Swan pre-match and lo! he arrived. We had a good yarn and a drink and shared a taxi to the ground, and then met up later back in the Swan to save a few more pints from going off.

Nigel was a really nice guy, a gent, and always took time to come and say hello if he saw us. Hope he enjoys our next few matches from the grandstand in the sky, and we'll have a drink to him on Sunday before the Wasps game.

God Bless x

Auntie Angel Shark
Commander-in-Chief, Sharks Imperial Bodyguard

AAS (all posts shall remain property of the writer)

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
16 February, 2007 22:16
Sad news indeed to find when scolling down the board, my deepest sympathies to his family.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

iBozz (IP Logged)
09 February, 2010 09:52
R-i-P, Nigel, lest we forget absent friends.

I'm not sure of the exact date Nigel that left us, so if you know please PM me and I can amend the Names and DG handles thread.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

09 February, 2010 13:45
Gladly the Lord gives, sadly he also takes.

One more star in the skies, one fewer down here.

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
09 February, 2010 15:33
So sorry to hear the sad news. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Michele & Michael
(again please ignore pink dancing elephant - no disrespect meant - just don't know how to take off for messages like this(Sm136)

http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/elefant.gif

Cornerball (IP Logged)
09 February, 2010 16:24
One of the fans who made supporting Sale such a pleasant and sociable activity. As others have said - a true gentleman who will be missed. Our condolences to his family and friends.

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
09 February, 2010 18:45
Sending our most sincere condolences to Nigel's Family and Friends.
It is always sad to hear news like this.
We'll drink a toast to Nigel before the game on Sunday.

Such a sad loss.

Don't take life too seriously? After all, no one gets out alive!

iBozz (IP Logged)
09 February, 2010 19:17
I hope I'm not confusing you - if I am, then my sincere apologies - but Nigel died in February 2007 and this is an In Memoriam nudge.

I had hoped the "lest we forget" suffix would have given the game away, so sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Nigel was a breakfasting trencherman at T'Oak and was excellent company. Her ladyship and I enjoyed his companionship over the steaming eggs and b on several occasions.

We have lost three [at least three known to me] characters from this august forum and from the SSSC and I feel that we should, at least once a year, remember their passing, lest we forget.

Again, apologies for any confusion - it is entirely my fault.

CEintheSun (IP Logged)
12 February, 2010 14:13
I've received the following email from a member of Nigel's family and I'm sure she won't mind me posting it:

Hi

My son, Nigel's nephew, found your thread reporting the sad loss of Nigel on your Sale Supporters Club website this evening. Please could you thank your forum members on our behalf for the wonderful kind messages they have left regarding Nigel.

I actually divorced his brother many years ago and had not been in touch with Nigel for many years but will always remember him fondly. He is also missed by his two nephews and his godson. He was hugely missed by his father who died a year after Nigel. Your members might be fully aware that Nigel's other love was Cricket and in his memory, money donated at his funeral was used to purchase two cricket trophies for the school that Nigel used to go to in Ashford, Kent.

Thank you once again for your lovely messages. I know they will be valued by my sons.

Best wishes

Nikki

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 March, 2010 15:33
Just a little further information about Nigel, from his old school Ashford Grammar School, now renamed the Norton Knatchbull School in memory of its founder:

Quote:
Nigel Paine - We were saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Nigel Paine (1967 1974) at the age of 52. He had been battling a heart condition for many years but privately and stoically. He has worked as a systems analyst for British Rail at their Crewe headquarters and was an ardent follower of cricket and rugby.

Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
05 March, 2010 19:31
sad news, as a long time lurker on the sale board i'd like to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family.

Auntie Angel Shark (IP Logged)
05 March, 2010 19:33
Quote:
iBozz
I hope I'm not confusing you - if I am, then my sincere apologies - but Nigel died in February 2007 and this is an In Memoriam nudge.

For reference and to try and stop any further confusion.

Auntie Angel Shark
Commander-in-Chief, Sharks Imperial Bodyguard

AAS (all posts shall remain property of the writer)

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2011 20:42
Lest we forget departed friends.

Nigel left us four years ago today.

R-i-P.

If I should die and leave you here awhile,
Be not like others, sore and undone,
Who keep long vigils by the silent dust, and weep.

For my sake turn again to life and smile
Nerving thy heart and trembling hand to do
Something to comfort other hearts than thine.

Complete those dear unfinished tasks of mine
And I, perchance, may therein comfort you.

Re: In Memoriam - SharkofKent (Nigel) died 12/02/2007
iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 09:39
Lest we forget departed friends.

Nigel left us five years ago today.

A real Gentleman, sadly missed.

R-i-P.

Remembering you on this day,

Comforted by so many memories.

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2013 09:01
Never to be forgotten.

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2014 09:10
Always remebered.

Nigel left us seven years ago today.

A real Gentleman, sadly missed.

R-i-P.

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2015 09:20
A very amiable friend and breakfast companion, still missed after eight years.

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2016 10:12
Another year gone and still missed and fondly remembered.

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2017 10:02
No doubt Nigel looks down before every home game at the AJB and asks "But where can you get a decent breakfast?"

A true supporter and an excellent companion left us 10 years ago today

12 February, 2017 12:27
Gone but not forgotten.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:40
Always remembered, a fine and affable Gentleman, a true Scholar and a most companionable Breakfaster.

RIP.

12 February, 2018 09:51
Always in our thoughts.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net