rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T: Help with parsley bugs, please!
iBozz (IP Logged)
15 June, 2008 17:19
I have some flat-leaf parsley which is now infected by tiny white bugs, smaller than a pinhead. They congregate at the ends of the leaves and leave tiny white blemishes on the leaf, presumably when they eat.

I've Googled around a bit and the only thing I have found so far is parsleyworm, but I'm not totally convinced that that is what I've got as they look nothing like each other and parsleyworm seems to be an American problem.

So, does any horticultural or culinary enthusiast have any ideas as to what the insects/mites or whatever might be, and how I can get rid of them without poisoning myself at a later date when I eat the stuff?

Thanks in eager anticipation! (Sm72)

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

http://smileygenerator.us/smileytags/links/smiley_tag.0103287001410624489.gif

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2008 17:23 by iBozz.

Re: O/T: Help with parsley bugs, please!
Auntie Angel Shark (IP Logged)
15 June, 2008 17:42
Make up a solution of water and washing up l1quid and spray the little 8u99ers or you can buy bug spray that is safe to use on fruit and veg. If there are a lot and your plant is in a pot you could try what I did when my chillies got greenfly.

In a bucket make up a solution of water and washing up liquid. Put the w-u liquid in after filling the bucket or you'll just end up with foam. Get a bag big enough to take the pot and put the pot in it. Secure tightly around the base of the plant then gently, and repeatedly, dunk the wole plant in and out of the water. This action and the liquid should be enough to remove the little blighters.

Hope that helps.

Auntie Angel Shark
Commander-in-Chief, Sharks Imperial Bodyguard

© AAS (all posts shall remain property of the writer)

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Davenport Sharky (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 11:43
Presumably whitefly. Is the parsley indoors? Had a lot in the greenhouse this year. Can get biological controls but they are expensive. Any common insecticide is OK but if its just one plant, wash the leaves under the cold water tap and replace top 1cm of compost. I have just put 110 parsley plants in the garden which equates to a lot of sauce!!

H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 11:53
Wee on them!
The ammoniacal liquor kills them but is well tolerated by the parley.
It not gets rid of the problem but makes make you feel a lot better; downright victorious.........until you come to eat the parley that is!
(Sm22)

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 17:48
Quote:
Wee on them!

Would I be wearing my Marigolds at this point, H's D?

And as I intend to eat the stuff, I'm not sure yours is an attractive solution!

No, Davenport S, the parsley is outside and was planted in new potting compost.

I'll try Angel's idea first as it seems simpler - but as it's in a herb/strawberry planter it may be a tad difficult to submerge in water.

Unless, of course, I put it in the dishwasher - no need for Marigolds or dishpan hands! And my herbs would all be cooked to perfection as well! [:wor kid:]

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2008 21:10 by iBozz.

16 June, 2008 19:18
Get a spray bottle from the pound shop and give the plants a right good going over.

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 19:31
Yes, Ma'am, certainly Ma'am! grinning smiley

16 June, 2008 19:35
At once! (Sm22)

Auntie Angel Shark

Levellershark (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 20:07
I've got a lot of flat leaf parsley growing outside but fortunately haven't been troubled by any attack of nasty creatures. Have already made 3 harvests which are now safely tucked up in freezer ready for use in winter.

Drinking doesn't cause hangovers, waking up in the morning does!

16 June, 2008 20:49
Quote:
Auntie Angel Shark
Make up a solution of water and washing up l1quid and spray the little 8u99ers make the little 8u99ers do the washing up
Edited that for you winking smiley

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1189369729.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

16 June, 2008 20:53
Watch 'em with the cups though, they struggle with the handles.

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 21:14
Not being of the landed Aristocratic Gentry such as yourself, Lady Angel, we mere serfs use mugs, not cups.

An' most of 'em no longer 'ave 'andles.

Gandalfzz (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 22:05
Oh how uncouth,to use a mug, but what can you expect from the lower classes.

We up here use a cup and saucer, and futhermore drink from the CUP.

I am anyones equal, but no ones superior

vernonfella (IP Logged)
16 June, 2008 22:42
Quote:
and futhermore drink from the CUP

So what's the saucer for then?

Whaley Shark (IP Logged)
17 June, 2008 07:23
To catch the fallout when a biscuit you've dunked disintegrates on its way to your mouth and splatters off your chin.

Gandalfzz (IP Logged)
17 June, 2008 07:31
VF to show class and breeding, OBVIOUSLY

I am anyones equal, but no ones superior

17 June, 2008 08:15
Here's one for you guys. Anti splatter helmet not included.

http://www.baronbob.com/giantcupandsaucer.jpg

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 June, 2008 08:45
Doesn't the fright with the goggles know that you are supposed to add water to your instant freeze-dried coffee?

If you eat the coffee granules straight out of the tin the bits get stuck between your teeth - always assuming that you have any.

17 June, 2008 08:55
The fright in the goggles appears to be sans teeth.

Sans helmet...

http://bp0.blogger.com/_BDQqUHECuFg/Rq1kf9RqeOI/AAAAAAAAB3M/on2oEGkwI3Y/s400/toothless.jpg

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 June, 2008 09:36
I'm not surprised after a lifetime of eating coffee granules.

There's an ancient country saying:

Eat thy freeze-dried coffee without water
And you shall have an ugly daughter
Who will lose all her teeth, yatetty yat
Just like what you have done, you ugly old bat.

Sound as a pound these ancients, their wisdom lives on through the ages. Many's the time I've been struck by cast clouts because some ignorant townie has not realised May isn't out.

17 June, 2008 09:52
'yatetty yat' ah, the Queens English at it's best.

(Sm22)

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 June, 2008 18:21
Quote:
'yatetty yat' ah, the Queens English at it's best.

'yatetty yat' was an out-take from the sombre aria sung by those two celebrated operatic singers, John Eric Bartholomew OBE and Ernest Wiseman OBE, named Boom-Oo-Yattatata.

I've sprayed the little barstewards with Fairy's Best and water and, when last seen, they were donning their tiny little Marigolds and setting about The Major's washing-up.

I shall be making their funeral arrangements tomorrow - or else, Angel! (Sm139)

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
24 June, 2008 01:36
iBozz, what puzzles me is why you would be growing flat-leaf parsley if you can't cook.

iBozz (IP Logged)
24 June, 2008 08:55
It was something we bought, in a hanging herb basket, when at an event starring cleggy the Rochdale Shark in Tewkesbury a couple of years ago and Her Ladyship (RiP) and I had agreed to broaden our horticultural repertoire this year.

I decided to continue with this plan and have invested in a herb planter and an assortment of bizarre sounding and odd looking herbs, partly in an endeavour to "carry on as normal" and partly because I realised that I'd have to learn basic cooking skills at some time in the future.

Maybe Angel, on her Auntie Angel Shark's Big Recipe Thread, can inspire confidence and overcome a deeply ingrained fear of cooking, strengthened by many an inedible disaster over the years.

24 June, 2008 09:22
Much the best use for flat leaf parsley is in gremolata and tabbouleh neither of which requires cooking which imho reduces the flavour and the vitamins.

Gremolata : chop garlic very fine, add finely chopped parsley and lemon zest (not juice). Sprinkle over "dry" dishes such as grills, panfries etc.

Tabbouleh: Prepare a cup of burghul (cracket wheat) by soaking in hot water for 30 minutes and squeezing dry. Now season with 3 tbs olive oil, juice of a lemon/lime, salt and pepper to taste. Leave for a couple of hours if possible.
Meanwhile finely chop a large bunch of parsley, a large bunch of mint. Add this to the burghul which should now be predominantly green in colour. If it's white there isn't enough herbs. Finally add chopped spring onions, tomatos, peppers (preferably roasted) as you like. Check seasoning and add more if desired - usually the citrus component.

Always serve with chargrilled meat or fish.

Cooking for yourself - invest in an electric table top grill like the "Kansas" - you can get them from the Lowery shops. You can set the table and cook whilst seated (inside or outside), very easy to clean afterwards, and healthy. Much more efficient than using a cooker or charcoal grill for one person.

Viks (IP Logged)
24 June, 2008 11:20
iBozz,

I'm having the same trouble. I tried immersing the plant in water for 4 hours, that didn't work. I've tried the fairy solution and that hasn't worked. I've also tried some spray from the garden certre -that worked for a while, but they are back now.

I think that the only thing I have left to try is to spray with garden centre stuff after washing and after removing the top inch of soil. Fingers crossed this will do the trick.

All the best

Viks
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/jasons_smilie/hair2.gif

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
24 June, 2008 12:03
Have you considered that leaving the flies on will give you added protein? They won't need much cooking either, which should be a benefit iBozz.

iBozz (IP Logged)
25 June, 2008 15:28
I've now consulted the world's leading authority on "little white bugs eating iBozz's flat leaf parsley" - well, the local garden centre anyway - and they opine that Angel's soapy solution would work, but over a fair time and only after a goodish number of applications.

This accords with my own experience for, after I'd sprayed them, they could be observed scrubbing their little backs, playing with their rubber ducks and singing "Bat out of hell" with gusto.

The officially approved method is to spray them with a systemic bug killer, for they were identified as aphids. However, using such a solution would result in iBozz lying on his back with his legs in the air - dead, as the systemic killer enters the plant and makes it inedible for quite some time.

So, the recommended solution to all others blighted by this pestilence, is to use a contact bug killer (in my case, I bought Bug Clear Ultra for fruit and veg) which leaves the plant edible. The container says "Spray today - eat tomorrow" but the horticultural employee says leave for about a fortnight.

So now you know how to fight these invaders - let battle commence. (Sm118)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2008 15:30 by iBozz.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
25 June, 2008 16:34
The container says "Spray today - eat tomorrow" - is that the bugs you eat tomorrow?

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
26 June, 2008 02:04
If you really don;t llike the idea of infusing your foodstuff in noxious chemicals, you could try au Naturelle

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/2451156279081.gif
We are the angry mob. We read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate, but we're also easily swayed.

iBozz (IP Logged)
26 June, 2008 08:35
Oddly, I do have a ladybird house, bought from the National Trust but for the two years it has been available for rent it has been studiously ignored.

Story of my life, really, being totally ignored by both Ladies and Birds.

Now there's one for the strident feminists to get themselves worked up about - served up on a plate!

Viks (IP Logged)
26 June, 2008 12:59
Let me know how you get on Ibozz. The one I used hasn't been totally effective.

Viks

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
26 June, 2008 19:20
I am wondering if the answer - if only to help not getting them - is to interplant with say onions. There was a letter in the Telegraph today about carrot fly and using this method; it reminded me that my late ex-father in-law used to do that for certain vegetables etc.

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 June, 2008 09:47
It's a tad difficult to say, Viks, but there certainly seem to be less of them since spraying although, to be fair, there seems to be an awful lot more parsley. My sojourn at an MS Conference in Douglas these past few days seems to have been a signal for a growth spurt in the herb department.

Another complicating factor is deciding whether those that are left have died in their sleep yet failed to fall off their perch as required or whether they are in training to become Sale scrum halves and are just practising to move so slowly whilst digging a ball out of a general mêlée that all signs of life are undetectable.

I shall engage in battle again today and report back anon.

30 June, 2008 10:23
I'd appreciate a large bunch - in return for some tabbouleh of course - the next time we meet iBzz; which may well be tonight (Sm14)

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 June, 2008 10:24
No problem, Mrs T. smiling smiley

Viks (IP Logged)
01 July, 2008 15:09
Your thread provoked me to go look at what we'd sprayed on the plants. Sure enough, DO NOT SPRAY ON EDIBLE PLANTS in caps put incredibly small letters on the back with a load of misleading marketing on the front.

So, out with the old (parsley) in with the new (parsley)

Think I'll put the chilli plants near the parsley and chives as the chilli plants are remarkably bug free!!!

Viks

01 July, 2008 15:24
Try planting alongside sweet basil. That's always done in greenhouses to keep whitefly off tomatoes.

01 July, 2008 15:25
DON'T DO IT Viks! Aphids LUUURVE chilli plants - I wage a constant battle against the little boogers.

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 July, 2008 11:58
Well two sprayings of the bug killer seem to have worked, Viks, as when I harvested a bagful for Mrs T yesterday there were none in evidence. Mind you, she hasn't posted yet today so maybe she's in A&E being stomach pumped.

But I now find that the local snail population are selling tickets and forming an orderly queue to get at my sweet basil which, incidentally Mrs T, is alongside the flat leaf parsley. They are ignoring my offering of slug pellets, instead making the tricky overhang ascent to my herbs instead.

What can I do?

Slug tape seems like a solution. The example here only lasts one season but it also has "teeth" across which snails (apparentlyu) won't go even if they brave the copper. Other types, such as here, would appear to last for many seaons but have no teeth.

There seem to be a lot of this type of barrier so I guess they must work, but does anyone have any experience of them, or any other way to stop slugs climbing the pot?

I have some 30 amp copper earth wire. so would a loop of that achieve the same thing - or would it not be wide enough to cause them to give up the attempt?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2008 12:00 by iBozz.

05 July, 2008 12:13
The slimy ones have so far decimated my carrots, leeks and peas as well as other flowering plants and I lost it last week and went round the garden and picked them up, put them in a tray and put them on the bird table.

For pea crop mark II I made a ring of eggshells around them and this seems to have worked so far. I must admit I hadn't heard of slug tape and will look out for it. I won't use pellets as they kill birds and pets, and have still to ask Andy the Pub Landlord for some drip tray beer to set some beer traps. I was also thinking of using copper bands too. I need to think of something that will surround a five foot square bed or sections of.

Right, off on another slug/snail hunt - they'll be out after the rain. Little feckers.

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 July, 2008 13:13
Have a look here, Angel. There's some stuff called Slug Lady and Out Slugs that is alleged to protect larger areas.

Incidentally, I only need around 4'6" of tape so a roll at the sizes commonly quoted on t'interwebbything are far too long. If I find some, and do have to buy too much, then I'm sure we could come to an arrangement. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2008 13:19 by iBozz.

05 July, 2008 13:52
We have a large bucket of salted water and if I have time in the morning, I go round with a bowl and collect all the slugs and snails I see and deposit them in said bucket. They don't try to get out!!!! Eventually we pour the contents onto a piece of waste ground to see if the birds like pickled slug

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 July, 2008 14:01
B&Q sell the tape, Angel, so I can use my 10% discount "Methuselah Oldies" card!

05 July, 2008 14:18
See? Age is good for something!

I'm considering buying some lengths of gutter and gutter corners, making them into a sort of 'moat' around the veg bed, putting the copper tape along one edge then filling them - with Nature's help - with water. This will be supplemented with salt and broken egg shells. We'll then see if the little blighters can pole vault.

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 July, 2008 14:49
Don't forget to puncture their water-wings or they'll just swim across!

05 July, 2008 15:38
That sounds a good idea Angel, but what are you going to do with the critters that have actually had the nerve to be born in your soil. You think you've cleared the patch and plant your plants only to see teeny weany slugs and snails sitting pretty amongst the leaves munching away to their heart's content.

05 July, 2008 16:04
I will prowl the veg bed, ready to POUNCE on the little {ADD YOUR OWN WORD HERE} and if I see any they will be scooped up and put on the bird table.

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 July, 2008 16:20
Nematodes, Angel, that's what you landed gentry need for their vast estates.

We peasants have to catch the slugs and add them to our meagre gruel.

iBozz (IP Logged)
08 July, 2008 09:36
For the budding and well seasoned herbivores amongst you. last night's MEN (Monday, 7 July 2008) had a double page spread on herbs entitled "Make eating great outdoors by choosing herbs".

Three articles are currently on line, as follows:

Grow your own herbs

Sunshine is the key

Top ten tips

Two further articles, Healing herbs and Two recipes for you to try (Barbecued Greek herb-crusted butterflied leg of lamb with chopped greek salad & Barbecued stuffed trout with preserved lemons, bay, thyme and rosemary) appear not to be on-line.

However, I shall [try to remember to] have a copy of the MEN at the SSSC AGM tonight so by all means copy them down during the boring bits - they'll be plenty of time! (Sm120)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2008 09:37 by iBozz.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
08 July, 2008 09:44
Eating herbs must be beneficial, helping make one super-fit. Just look at the accomplishments of Herb Elliott. Had he been called, say, Peter, he would have been a good athlete, but not a world beater.

Herbs can, of course, be a good accomplishment to any meal.

08 July, 2008 09:46
What about Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass?

Auntie Angel Shark

08 July, 2008 10:24
Know any more bad ones Angel?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
08 July, 2008 10:24
What have I started? Talking real food,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/HA_WhippedCream.jpg/225px-HA_WhippedCream.jpg
I just need some strawberries now, with a twig of mint.

Yonah (IP Logged)
08 July, 2008 10:42
These were even better.

Sorry and the magic word was?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2008 10:43 by Yonah.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
08 July, 2008 12:23
Would that be Catherine T'arragon alongside Good King Henry?

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
09 July, 2008 02:35
Herbidacious.

you don't bump into too many people who remember the Herbs. But then they only made a dozen or so. Hope they don't try and reveive it, and ruin it, like they have with Andy Pandy.

I'm Dill the dog,
I'm a dog called Dill
Though my tail I'd love to get
I have never caught it yet

I reckon Bayleaf the gardener was a Glaws fan.

We are the angry mob. We read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate, but we're also easily swayed.

Viks (IP Logged)
14 July, 2008 17:31
I was at the Hampton Court flower show on Sat with my ma who's a keen gardener and currently blighted by snails. I can't remember the plant (it's not edible) but it attracts them like nobody's business. So, she asked the whatsit plant specialist..................

Seems that the slug pellets actually attract the slugs, so whilst they are good at killing them, you're actually bringing slugs in from farther afield if you put down too many of them (ie if your garden is beginning to resemble a blue mosaic like my ma's!). Just a few pellets is best. His best tip was to take an empty glass jar eg sharwoods and put some pellets in the bottom of it. Now lay it on its side next to the stem of the plant. The rain doesn't wash it away and the slugs go in there, eat them and then die in there, so are remarkably easy to remove from your garden.

I've not tried it yet, but he did have remarkable lush whatsit plants and got a gold star, so he must be doing something right!

Good luck!!!

Viks

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 July, 2008 18:27
Another tip with slug pellets is to throw then onto the borders of the gardens next door.

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
14 July, 2008 19:01
I may have used to this gardening lark but I do still hate these little blighters. I must admit the ale in a tub (yoghurt of otherwise) did seem to work the one time I tried it. I suppose that they get too drunk to climb out and die happy!?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 July, 2008 19:41
I know several people who have tried it - on themselves.

iBozz (IP Logged)
18 July, 2008 18:49
Having defeated the Parsley Bugs and having found nothing to do with the stuff save donate it to Mrs T, I've moved on.

Having tonight found that Lidl lettuce keeps for a month past its use-by-date and still tastes like lettuce - if doused in garlic oil - I've set my mind to cacti.

Now apart from Tigger who, of course, liked everything I've not found anyone who eats cacti, but nevertheless I have a horticultural conundrum.

I have a cactus (bought by Her Ladyship some several Christmases ago because it was small, had two eyes pinned on it and it thus "looked cute" - don't blame me!) and I'm having problems.

It's breed is unknown, but it is like one of those single stemmed prickly upright things, as given by Nicholas Lyndhurst to Tessa Peak-Jones in that TV Prank programme.

Only it isn't.

That one would have made any man proud but - how can I put this delicately? I know - mine suffers from Brewer's Droop.

The cactus, I hasten to add.

I soak it in water, I dry it out to near death and yet whatever I do it folds over on itself permanently. Even a stick I've tied it to doesn't really encourage it to, ahem, stand to attention.

Even showing video clips of Kylie seem to make no difference, so what can I do to return it to its former 12" glory? (Sm72)

And how do I cook it! (Sm15)

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
18 July, 2008 20:55
Too much water. Like whiskey, a cactus should be kept well away from water. The poor thing is probably beyond recovery now.

Cooking: Slice lengthwise, sprinkle with Parmesan and grill under a medium heat. It works for courgettes, so it should do the job.

iBozz (IP Logged)
18 July, 2008 21:39
I'm not keen on parmesan (just why do people want to make their food smell of stale vomit?) so I reckon a good old slice of cheap Tesco rat-trap will do just fine, green and furry from the fridge and maturing nicely since before Christmas.

It would help if these Effin Safety Loonies insisted on adding years to best before dates on fresh food and dairy products. How is the discerning gourmet on The Clapham Omnibus to know which year they mean?

But there you go again! Medium heat? What's medium for a naked Gentleman who inadvertently sits on a bathroom radiator may not be the same as what's medium for a re-entering space shuttle.

Grill? If I put it on now, will it be ready when I get back from watching Sale thrash Munster next January? Or can I have it for supper tonight if I don't go to bed for another minute and a half?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
18 July, 2008 21:48
Medium? Surprisingly, it is roughly midway between high and low.

In terms of time, I do think it may need Mickey's big hand to go round once or twice. Have a fire extinguisher ready just in case it doesn't need that long.

Anyway, this is the parsley bugs' thread, not the 'I can't cook thread'.

Viks (IP Logged)
24 July, 2008 13:52
Parsley successfully growing indoors. I found a spider in the bathroom & put it onto the parsley. Since then, there have been no sign of the little blighters. Guess that really is a "natural" remedy!

Viks

16 August, 2008 14:59
Right guys, a slug and snail update.

For the past week I have set several beer traps around the garden with great success. The one in the front garden had 35 large, 2-5" slugs in it along with around 20 smaller ones - and that was just one night! Every single trap had loads in, I reckon over the week around 400+ met a beery end.

With this in mind along with the old adage 'prevention is better than cure' I have purchased some copper tape, as used by celebrity gardening guru iBozz, a deluxe slug trap and...

...a three part course of nematodes in the form of Nemaslug

Quote:
Green Gardener
Nemaslug® contains the naturally occurring parasitic nematode of slugs - Phasmarhabditis Hermaphrodita. Each pack of Nemaslug® contains millions of these microscopic nematodes that kill slugs both above & below ground. Once the nematodes have been applied to the soil, they search out slugs and will enter the slug through the mantle - the saddle like structure on its back. Once inside, the nematode releases a bacterium which it feeds on and as that bacterium multiplies, the slug dies. The nematodes multiply inside the slug and within 3-5 days the slug stops feeding and will burrow underground to die. As the slug decomposes in the soil, the nematodes are released back into the soil to search out more slug and the whole process starts again.

I have applied the first pack today and will report back on it's effectiveness. Horrible snot creatures.

Auntie Angel Shark

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
16 August, 2008 15:20
like I said before I think the ale trick is the best and it doesn't matter if it out of date either!

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
16 August, 2008 18:24
just read this, don't know if it works or not yrt

"hungry slimy creatures are not good for your plants. but there is a simple solution. Take a container of sale into the garden and put a ring of salt around your plants. Salt is lethal to soft-bodied animals and they shouldn' attempt to breach the salt 'defences'.

Have tried in directly by sprinking direct on the little @#$%& themselves! So I assume it works.

Sharken (Mike) says the other way is to use machine gun (brings to mind Jasper Carrot and his Mole - 12 bore!)

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 August, 2008 18:40
It does, Rosie, but salt washes away in the rain, blows away in the wind and will damage plants where it washes into the soil.

I knelt on a slug once, whilst I was wearing shorts, and that particular slug died instantly.

Mind you, I felt sick for hours and still feel a tad queasy when I think of it so I wouldn't recommend it as a long term approach.

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
16 August, 2008 20:35
Ahh, hadn't thought of that. Planted some plants this afternon and srinkled librally with slugh pellets and put in some ale pots so hopefully they will survive a couple of days before completely being desimated(?) by the little blighters. Couldn't knowingly kneel on one, I think like you I would feel/be sick afterwards!

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 August, 2008 21:57
"decimated".

By the way, do you sink the booze-baths to ground level so that the things can just tumble in, or do you just put a container on the ground and make them climb in?

16 August, 2008 22:26
Either worked for me. The combination of beer pots with an enthusiastic swimming coach - Col with a stick - seems to be working very well indeed.

If you ask your local licensee for their drip tray contents just get bitter only, no cider or lager. Or buy a big bottle or a few cans of cheapo bitter from your local shopping establishment.

I will report back as to the success of the nematodes. Hopefully the prescribed and regular application of same will enable me to grow carrots, lettuce and spring onions next year. Each was decimated on three sowings and I ended up with just bare earth and an overwhelming and consuming desire to seek out and destroy the snot monsters completely.

Stages one and two underway..

Auntie Angel Shark

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
16 August, 2008 22:58
ground level. have also put copper tape around some of my pots!

21 August, 2008 11:34
Slugs, the little b******s are going to have to learn to swim better than they are doing. I'm having enough trouble getting my outdoor tomatoes ripe without them eating the ones that are

Viks (IP Logged)
11 September, 2008 17:09
Anyone on here a keen chilli grower? We've got some dwarf ones on the windowsill but mate forgot to give them a drink whilst we were away on holiday - boo hiss. A few look ok but the others look decidedly worse for wear. T'other half convinced that they are merely distressed and that this will increase the heat of the chillis and they will be fine. Does anyone know if he's talking manure or should I persevere?

Ta

Viks

11 September, 2008 20:26
Hi viks. It's my first try at chillies this year and quite often I've let them almost dry out before watering them. My reasoning is that it may mimic their natural growning conditions.

I have one plant that has produced both long straight ones AND curly ones and it has been treated the same as the rest. Keep at it, then scoff 'em!

Auntie Angel Shark

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2008 04:36
Grew chillis earlier in the year, though outdoors (my weather conditions are a bit different to yours). The best tasting, and usually hottest fruits were the worst looking ones, usually curly and wrinkly. Mine too suffered periods of neglect, killed the tomatoes, but chillis were fine.

Riggers the beer (IP Logged)
12 September, 2008 21:03
Our chillie plants all got eaten by the slugs while in the greenhouse, but the vines are doing fine and will bring a load of grapes to Clermont. It was frosty and windy here in April:May so all the blosssom blew off the trees so no plums, greengages or cherries this year. But the nut harvest is great. Walnuts, almonds and sweet chestnuts all in the garden. The quinces are nearly ready and the blackberries have been harvested and tamed (pruned heavily so next year we should get loads) The leeks are doing well,planting carrots, peas, winter lettuce, cabbage and spinach at the moment.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 September, 2008 22:11
Riggers, never mind the fruit and veg bugs, are the linux bugs under control?

19 September, 2008 19:02
I've just been to Sainsbury's (Ashton) and they had some anti-bug (greenfly/aphid etc) spikes reduced down to about 80p a pack. They also had some organic liquid plant food reduced to 99p a bottle. Bargain!!

Auntie Angel Shark

Gads99 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2008 01:44
On the slug front I've found coffee grounds (as advised by the funny voiced gel on Gardeners World) have worked wonders. Nothing to do with keeping 'em off my plants but stopping the little B*$$"rs sneaking under my back door and raiding the cat food. Oh the joys of living in the country

iBozz (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 10:23
So as not to hijack RtB's thread on horticulture generally, I'll resurrect this golden oldie.

After a lull of a couple of years, mice have returned to holiday at iBozz Towers. In previous years, I've fed them on those little blue wheat seeds and they have thrived and tucked in with enthusiasm. They even seemed to return for second helpings and they seemed immune to the poiuon.

Then, after a few years of residence they disappeared - until now.

I have in mind to try those "plug in" devices which claim to drive mice and other undesirables away by doing something through the mains cables running round the house and garage.

Some others claim to be "line of sight" only and are thus no doubt sonic.

Now, do either of these types of devices work? And which is better? The former makes more sense if you don't know where the guests live so, would they be a sound investment - and how many would I need to cover an average semi with garage?

And no, I don't want a cat.

Davenport Sharky (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 10:45
Our Tommi was running round the garden with one in his mouth last night. Have to make sure he has dispatched them before he is allowed in kitchen!! We could send him round on annual leave?? He likes Whiskas pouches - especially the fish ones???? Can't have the noise thing as it would upset the rabbits. Have Foxwatch system to help protect the chickens which is similar and does seem to work.

H's D (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 14:07
As Davenport suggests you need a "professional @#$%& control operative."
Not a part-time temp. on a jolly mind, mind , but a full-time dedicated member of your staff.
Forget the expense; they are a fully tax-deductible expense, and are also fully capable of turning a mere house into a home.
Guaranteed to ensure your local veterinary surgeon doesn't become a redundancy statistic!

I may have a black and white one available, called Jess, free to a good home after a change in vehicle, just give me a call! winking smiley

A Polish frizle bantam or two are the best thing in my experience for wily foxes.
I would post a picture but it might frighten any children!

H's D (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 14:10
What on earth is wrong with the word r o d e n t ?
@#$%& - good grief - the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy was right - mice are running the whole show!!

14 May, 2009 14:39
I got rid of our mice a few years back with a humane trap. When it caught one, I took it to a hedgerow by the tram line a couple of streets away and released it. It took a few days to get them all, but they've not returned. Best of all, it's cheap and only needs one small blob* of peanut butter per mouse.

* knowing iBozz's difficulties with amounts, I'd just like to clarify that a blob is a bit more than a smidgen, but less than a dollop.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1189369729.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Mozzer (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 15:21
H's Dad, may I point you in the direction the Urban Dictionary? Item 4 of the relevant word.

Strangely the YB filter lets through the very Anglo-Saxon version of that, but blocks much less offensive stuff. I'm not quite stupid enough to see whether that happens on here, mind smiling smiley

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

H's D (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 16:04
You learn something every day!
How very one eyed: about as logical as banning "trouser" or "snake"!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 17:00
With reference to the banning of the 'r' word, I can only conclude that the whole world has gone mad. When one gets down to the nitty gritty all sorts of innocent words can be banned because they are rude or offensive to someone, while others escape the censor police. It would be interesting to compile a list to see which words will pass muster. If I can snatch a minute or two I might do that sometime.

We have had mice in the loft above the kitchen and rats in the shed. I know there were rats in the shed because we found two dead carcasses when we cleaned it out last Monday.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 May, 2009 17:04
Just as I thought. Getting down to the nitty gritty and snatch are OK, but r o d e n t is not. May the saints preserve us.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
15 May, 2009 01:56
Mouse traps, the "Little Snapper" is excellent - trust me there is no chance of the caught individuals returning.

Mice don't seem to much of a problem around here, Perth has it's own natural mouse defence. It's called the Dugite, you probably wouldn't want one in your house mind.

12 June, 2009 21:02
I had a conversation the other evening about watering plants. Janet said that she fills up large plastic pop bottles with water and then freezes them. During warm periods of weather she takes them outside, takes the lid off and then sticks them neck-down in the ground so as the ice melts it waters the plants. Brilliant!

I don't have loads of space in my freezer for this but I do have plenty of big water bottles so instead of putting them out for recycling I've decided to recycle them myself (I don't drink bottled water myself, I drink tap water). I've cut the bottom off and then stuck them neck-down in the soil beside water hungry plants so I can fill them up and the water will run to the roots of them rather than away from the soil around the plant. Magic!

Auntie Angel Shark

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 June, 2009 21:33
I've also heard that putting half-filled clear water bottles on the ground scares away cats - they see the distorted image of themselves and run away.

It sounds an absolutely spiffing wheeze.

The only problem is that the local moggies haven't heard that they should be scared so I'm reduced to putting down some green jelly like pellets which do work, until it rains or they wear off. But they don't half stink and they make sitting out tanning the exquisite iBozz physique a bit of an olfactory ordeal.

I'm also told that squirting them with water laced with washing up liquid works, but the little so-and-sos are too quick even for my highly tuned and athletic self.

Short of shooting the damned things sweet little pussykins, how else can I discourage them?

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 June, 2009 21:41
Quote:
Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2008 19:55

Too much water. Like whiskey, a cactus should be kept well away from water. The poor thing is probably beyond recovery now.

Well, I staked the aformentioned drooping cactus upright with those green cane things and it remains upright - but still staked. I daren't take them out incase it all hurtles southwards.

But it now has a ring of reddish purple flowers around 2/3 or it's circumference about three inches from the top.

I'm puzzled as to why only one ring and why only 2/3 the way round?

Does this indicate that the thing has now recovered?

And anyway, fully TT though I am, I always understood that water should be added to whisky because it then allows the alcohol to be absorbed into the bloodstream quicker - thus making the imbiber make an embarrassing fool of themselves much earlier in the day. Is that not so?

12 June, 2009 21:51
Cats? I understand - and I'm not joking! - lion poo does the trick.

Auntie Angel Shark

Rosie Girl (IP Logged)
12 June, 2009 22:15
I too use water/pop bottles in my tubs to water my plants - I cut the bottoms of and stick the neck in and pour water in to the bottles - also can take 2 or 3 days before refilling

http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/elefant.gif

MikeGC (IP Logged)
12 June, 2009 23:17
Cats ?

I have a small and highly aggressive terrier and no problem with cats, even the spawn of the devil can learn where to avoid.

If you aren't a doggy person, I also agree fully with Auntie, Lion pooh works wonders

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 June, 2009 23:32
Quote:
MikeGC
I have a small and highly aggressive terrier and no problem with cats,

How is the wife? (Sm1)

MikeGC (IP Logged)
13 June, 2009 08:49
Quote:
How is the wife?

Fortunately, for all concerned, she's living happily in Gosport with a former Submariner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net