rugbyunion
Latest News:
28 November 2014, KO 19:15
Aberavon v Yorkshire Carnegie @ Talbot Athletic Ground

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
RFU Northern Rugby report
*baldric* (IP Logged)
11 February, 2012 12:05
Just picked up on this from the Sale mb

RFU report on Northern rugby

Some interesting stuff in there, particularly the 'big game' ideas, and the 'regional' team approach.

Still a Tyke - whatever the name!

MESSAGES->author
Re: RFU Northern Rugby report
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 February, 2012 13:24
Well spotted Baldric; makes interesting reading on a cold day. Some of the report is in the first person and it's not clear who the author is - does anyone know?

I wasn't born in Yorkshire, but I got here as soon as I could

MESSAGES->author
Newtfish (IP Logged)
11 February, 2012 13:56
I think it may be Mark Evans.

MESSAGES->author
apb (IP Logged)
11 February, 2012 15:18
That's the most sensible thing I've read about rugby in a mighty long time.

I would also add to all of that - talent spotting at the district and county age group levels is appalling; there is quite clearly a lot of bias towards particular clubs and schools, and size is everything. I have seen quite frankly gormless idiots playing for district sides who presumably qualify simply because they are giants. I would like to see the increased development headcount identified in the paper used as least partially as talent spotters for these representative sides - I think there is a lot of junior talent out there that is getting ignored ...

Waiting for the good times ...

..and waiting ....

... and waiting ...

MESSAGES->author
Timofe (IP Logged)
14 February, 2012 22:26
A very interesting and revealing report.

It was particularly good to read the section on TV coverage that reinforces the view that Sky don't like to travel.

All the points are very valid and well made (except, maybe, wearing red...) and I encourage everyone to download and read it.

Leeds promoted as the "Yorkshire Terriers", three years of ring fencing and increased central funding all sound good to me.

This was clearly an influencing factor in England training at West Park, but I hope not a factor in Lanny getting his current job.

Mark Evans is a Director of Capacity Consulting, so there's every chance that he was involved (which is bad for me, because it means I have to change a lifelong opinion of the man!)

Riding the Leeds roller-coaster since 2001

MESSAGES->author
Freddyshark (IP Logged)
16 February, 2012 15:36
apb, there is also a lot of bias towards children of people who are involved in the representative teams...and officials of certain clubs with children.

I have been to yorkshire trials for many years at various ages and seen kids who stood out head and shoulders but becasue they were in positions filled by a chosen one they didnt get a look in.

I know a lot of this is objective but I firmly beleive there is something very wrong with the way things are done.

Love thy fellow man and be happy

MESSAGES->author
apb (IP Logged)
16 February, 2012 20:30
Agree with you 100% Freddy

Waiting for the good times ...

..and waiting ....

... and waiting ...

MESSAGES->author
Timofe (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:00
I notice none of today's England squad play for northern clubs...

Riding the Leeds roller-coaster since 2001

daveyjp
daveyjp (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:39
To expand on moving games from HQ here's an option. Whenever England have three home 6N games one should be away from HQ, as should one autumn international. Better than inventing international games which don't mean much.

As regards sustainability. How many top UK clubs get an average crowd of 12,000 a game? Not many and that must be an issue for all clubs, not just those in the North.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net