rugbyunion
Latest News:
25 October 2014, KO 14:30
Yorkshire Carnegie v Aberavon Wizards @ Hull Ionians



Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Teams Up v Bedford
Rocky The Tyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 12:05
15. Tommy Bell
14. Stevie McColl
13. Iain Thornley
12. Scott Barrow
11. Lee Blackett
10. Joe Ford
9. Will Cliff
1. Sam Lockwood
2. Andy Titterrell (c)
3. Halani Aulika
4. Jon Pendlebury
5. Sean Hohneck
6. Ed Williamson
7. Jacob Rowan
8. Ryan Burrows
16. Phil Nilsen
17. Mo Mustafa
18. Dan Hemingway
19. Richard Beck
20. Robbie Shaw
21. Jordan Davies
22. Pete Lucock

Offy



__________________________________

The time for reminiscing is after rugby. Then you can sit down and get fat.

Quote from Josh Lewsey

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bittern (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 12:29
A winger on the bench but only one prop replacement?

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Newtfish (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 12:33
No requirement to have a full spare front row in this league - perhaps it might suit us to end up with uncontested scrums! Might be better off having more flexibility in the backs. Good to see two genuine locks playing, let's hope they are both fully fit.

 
haxbytyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 12:40
I wondered how long it would be before we had an extra back on the bench. Good to see Blackett back, but no Danny P anywhere in sight.



COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

 
Bran
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bran (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 12:44
any news on the mesiah? should be a world beater by now.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Newtfish (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 12:53
Perhaps he'll get a run out at Crag Lane tomorrow (Sm100)

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Newtfish (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 13:01
Already out of date per Gareth Jones's Tw*tter - TB injured so McColl to FB, Lucock on wing and another replacement to be named. Not what we needed, though I guess the positional fundamentalists may disagree!

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Mark_C (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 13:40
Quote:
Newtfish
Not what we needed, though I guess the positional fundamentalists may disagree!

(Sm22)

Looks like a side to play Bedford at their own game. Think it will be a high-scoring affair (the best sort (Sm100))

 
Lstyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Lstyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 15:21
Does DE actually want to win a game, Thornley and Barrow are not performing at the moment in the centres, there seems to be a lack of interest in scoring tries, DE seems to be hoping that Bell can kick Leeds to victory, Bell played poor on Sunday as did a few others but DE seems reluctant to amend an under achieving team, look at the stats how many tries has Barrow scored ? and his defence is questionable, I am afraid DE has made a mistake in this starting back line, I hope the team proves me wrong.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
PorthosTyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 15:38
Quote:
Lstyke
Does DE actually want to win a game, Thornley and Barrow are not performing at the moment in the centres, there seems to be a lack of interest in scoring tries, DE seems to be hoping that Bell can kick Leeds to victory, Bell played poor on Sunday as did a few others but DE seems reluctant to amend an under achieving team, look at the stats how many tries has Barrow scored ? and his defence is questionable, I am afraid DE has made a mistake in this starting back line, I hope the team proves me wrong.

But who, from the galaxy of talent available, should we pick at 12, then? At least Barrow actually *is* a 12.

My vote would obviously go for the Beast.

PT.

 
haxbytyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 16:19
Having watched last weeks game again on Sky, Scott Barrow was one of the few players who actually made ground with the ball, although I would agree he maybe didn't use it as well as he could.
Controversial this, but, taking aside Tommy Bell's points scoring, which Leeds players have stood up to be counted when they have played? Mac., Plug, Denman, Swaino, Penders, Dents, Hampo, (in my opinion), Rowan, Danny, Barrow, Blackett, Walker, Reider, Beck, Hannon. Is there a connection there?



COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

 
haxbytyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 16:21
Just seen the new line up. Because of Bell's injury, Young has replaced Lockwood at prop, and Sam has taken Lucock's place on the bench. How the hell can you explain that one??



COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Mark_C (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 16:29
You've some rum choices there, Hax, some of that lot have hardly played!

Would agree with you regarding Rowan, and Richard beck who is my player of the season. A genuine utility back five who probably pays for being so versatile by being on the bench.

Can't believe there is no place for Burrows, Stepho, or McColl there, and there's at least two of that number IMHO have gone backwards this season.

 
haxbytyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 16:32
Mark, Stevo and Kirsty have missed quite a few games as well, and yes Burrows has done well. I'm looking at when they have played. BUT, there is a clear connection between the names I have mentioned, and that should not be ignored.



COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Mark_C (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 16:35
And I thought I was paranoid!!

(Sm124)

 
TryBlues
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
TryBlues (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 17:27
Blues team

Despite being two out of two in Pool B of the Championship play-offs, Bedford Blues know that they have everything to do on Sunday with a trip to Headingley to face Leeds.

The Blues haven’t enjoyed their last two outings against Carnegie with the Yorkshire club racking up a 28-45 win at Goldington Road in October and a 21-17 victory in January’s reverse. That defeat was Bedford’s last in the Championship though and they have gone on to win five in a row including a thriller against Cornish Pirates last Friday night.

Looking ahead to the game, Bedford Team manager Rob Crowle said: “Last Friday was a big effort for all the boys and although it wasn’t the prettiest of performances, we got the result that we wanted and now we have to continue building on that.

“We are very aware that we haven’t done as well as we would have hoped against Leeds this season, but the previous results are irrelevant in the play-offs and we need to make sure that we step up to the challenge at Headingley on Sunday afternoon. Leeds are coming off a painful derby defeat to Rotherham last weekend and we have to expect some form of a backlash.

“That said, if we can show as much grit and determination as we have done in the last five games then I’m sure that we’ll be in for a cracking contest on Sunday afternoon.”

Bedford make several changes to the team that came from 6-25 down to win against the Cornishmen last weekend as they look to continue their good run of results

Starting line-up:

15. James Pritchard (c)
14. Ollie Dodge
13. Brendan Burke
12. Ian Vass
11. Josh Bassett
10. Jamie Lennard
9. Darryl Veenendaal

1. Sam Walsh
2. Chris Locke
3. Ben Cooper
4. Paul Tupai
5. Alex Rae
6. Jon Fisher
7. Sacha Harding
8. Don Barrell

Replacements: 16. Neil Cochrane, 17. Ricky Reeves, 18. Mike Howard, 19. Darren Fox, 20. Luke Baldwin, 21. Jake Sharp. 22. Handre Schmidt

In my opinion this team is slightly weaker than what we've started in the other two play-off games, but the bench looks good.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 17:42
Quote:
TryBlues
Blues team
Despite being two out of two in Pool B of the Championship play-offs, Bedford Blues know that they have everything to do on Sunday with a trip to Headingley to face Leeds.

The Blues haven’t enjoyed their last two outings against Carnegie with the Yorkshire club racking up a 28-45 win at Goldington Road in October and a 21-17 victory in January’s reverse. That defeat was Bedford’s last in the Championship though and they have gone on to win five in a row including a thriller against Cornish Pirates last Friday night.

Looking ahead to the game, Bedford Team manager Rob Crowle said: “Last Friday was a big effort for all the boys and although it wasn’t the prettiest of performances, we got the result that we wanted and now we have to continue building on that.

“We are very aware that we haven’t done as well as we would have hoped against Leeds this season, but the previous results are irrelevant in the play-offs and we need to make sure that we step up to the challenge at Headingley on Sunday afternoon. Leeds are coming off a painful derby defeat to Rotherham last weekend and we have to expect some form of a backlash.

“That said, if we can show as much grit and determination as we have done in the last five games then I’m sure that we’ll be in for a cracking contest on Sunday afternoon.”

Bedford make several changes to the team that came from 6-25 down to win against the Cornishmen last weekend as they look to continue their good run of results

Starting line-up:

15. James Pritchard (c)
14. Ollie Dodge
13. Brendan Burke
12. Ian Vass
11. Josh Bassett
10. Jamie Lennard
9. Darryl Veenendaal

1. Sam Walsh
2. Chris Locke
3. Ben Cooper
4. Paul Tupai
5. Alex Rae
6. Jon Fisher
7. Sacha Harding
8. Don Barrell

Replacements: 16. Neil Cochrane, 17. Ricky Reeves, 18. Mike Howard, 19. Darren Fox, 20. Luke Baldwin, 21. Jake Sharp. 22. Handre Schmidt

In my opinion this team is slightly weaker than what we've started in the other two play-off games, but the bench looks good.

Many thanks for that TryBlues. You are certainly in a rich vein of form at the moment. Unlike us. We have no idea who will "turn up" for Leeds on Sunday. I suppose that is all part and parcel of being a 'Neegs fan!

(Sm124)



[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 21:11
Confused!

Why would you make an unforced change in the pack to a team you only announced an hour or two before?

It cant be an injury or he wouldnt be on the bench.

To the outside world it looks like DE doesn't know what his best team is and is dithering and it must spread uncertainty and doubt amongst the players.

Not good!
(Sm26)

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Mark_C (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 21:17
Confuse-a-Blooz

 
Bobba
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bobba (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:18
Someone to play at 12? Don't we still have on our books a Lachlan MacKay?

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
almostatyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:19
If only he was fit.... I.m sure he feels the same as us.

 
Bobba
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bobba (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:28
Did he not score a try for Harrogate recently. Unless he is injured again that sugests to me that he is fit.

 
haxbytyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:32
Bobba, he did score a try for Harrogate 2nds, and played about an hour. Whether that qualifies him as match fit for a game like Sunday I don't know. I'd like to see him playing. Once again, I ask, how do we get players who have been injured some valuable match time?

 
Bobba
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bobba (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:34
Play them off the bench.

 
haxbytyke
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:36
It's the only option we have got, but what if they have to come on in the first 10 minutes? Hardly ideal



COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
almostatyke (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:36
Bobba I didn't know that and I'm sure it's really good news. I presume that DE doesn't think he is match fit for the Championship, or as a Johnny come lately, he might disrupt team spirit. We have a world-class player and it would be great news if he can make a contribution.



I wasn't born in Yorkshire, but I got here as soon as I could

 
John R
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
John R (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 12:35
Quite where is the connection in changing the prop selection because the full back can't play

Is it just me who is becoming confused ?

Up the Carnegie TYKES !

 
Bran
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bran (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:27
whos this world class player you reckon we've got? That boat left me on the island

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
almostatyke (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:12
OK slight exageration but if he could play to his potential that comment would not be too wide of the mark.
Unfortunately seems to be academic now.



I wasn't born in Yorkshire, but I got here as soon as I could

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 08:46
I feel quite comforted by the presence of Pendlebury and Hohneck in our line-out. As long as Titterrell can hit them with his throws then we should be solid in this aspect of play.

(Sm138)



[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
bunj1967 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:03
As far as i'm concerned if McKay is fit put him on the bench as i think he is a game breaker and last week ,after talking to him, he says he is signed up for next year,
Fulton is class and we need him and best of all he is not on loan and is chomping at the bit to play.
He is our best no 12 but we haven't seen him at his best but all good things for those who wait and waiting is what we have done for all too long.

Bring Back Fulton !

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:17
Quote:
bunj1967
....,after talking to him, he says he is signed up for next year,.......
Bring Back Fulton !

That might generate a few interesting posts on here.

(Sm124)



[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Timofe (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:27
It will be nice to see him play next year. This year, he would be too disruptive.

Maybe Lockwood has man-flu and is touch and go? There's a lot of it about at the moment. Anyone who has any doubts, come and talk to me today and I'll breathe on you.



Riding the Leeds roller-coaster since 2001

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bittern (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:34
Late change. Beck starts in place of Pendlebury who is ill.

 
Bran
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Bran (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:40
which half-whit signed him for next year? Leeds rugby need to take a long hard look at themselves. He's not been on the pitch this year, hardly played the previous two before he signed for us. The mans a liability and a complete wast of money.4 years and how many times has he stepped on a rugby pitch? Pathetic.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Timofe (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:54
At least he'll be cheap...



Riding the Leeds roller-coaster since 2001

 
williamwebbellis
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
williamwebbellis (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:32
Quote:
leemingtyke
Confused!
Why would you make an unforced change in the pack to a team you only announced an hour or two before?

It cant be an injury or he wouldnt be on the bench.

To the outside world it looks like DE doesn't know what his best team is and is dithering and it must spread uncertainty and doubt amongst the players.

Not good!
(Sm26)

…And there is the problem in a nutshell.

Identify and play your best players in position.

Injuries unavoidably punctuate selections, and second and third choice players get their chance, but there should be a core 15 who learn to play and strive for excellence, in their position, together. Pairings/relationships will then develop and they learn to play to everyone’s strengths.

Is it really good enough to keep changing players round?

Who are our best in position? We seem pick 15 players who we want to play and then find a place and position for them to play in, even if it’s not in their own position?

Are we really so blessed to have such a versatile set of players…or cursed by the constant variation of selections?

The only constant selection all season (other than for the loanees), has been our 10 and at the end of the season, there is speculation about the potential of Tommy, who has played 15 all season for us, being signed for next season to replace our 10?

I hope we don’t come to regret Walker playing for Otley and having Denman in the audience if Lockwood has the flu!

It’s all bonkers to me!

Here’s hoping for a better performance on today,

Apparently Bedford aren’t playing their best team either so let’s be hopeful of a win.

Good luck to everyone on and off the field.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:51
Quote:
Bittern
Late change. Beck starts in place of Pendlebury who is ill.

Excellent! An opportunity to see 80 minutes from our most versatile player.

(Sm44)



[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

 
williamwebbellis
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
williamwebbellis (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:08
Quote:
WildWillie
Quote:
Bittern
Late change. Beck starts in place of Pendlebury who is ill.

Excellent! An opportunity to see 80 minutes from our most versatile player.


And didn't he do well!(Sm23)

Well done Richard.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
farmertyke (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:24
He did .....sadly all for nothing as his Captain was too arrogant to take 3 points.

 
exheadingley
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
exheadingley (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:42
does this not say it all. We are rudderless on the field and and just about the same off it

 
exheadingley
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
exheadingley (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:43
If we have signed sick note for another season without knowing he is fit does that mean there is a place for me who last played in 1972

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Teams Up v Bedford
Mark_C (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:46
Richard Beck - awesome - get him signed for next season. There's an international cap or two coming in that direction.

(Sm128)

And while you're at it sign Jordan Davies who had a massive game at twelve.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?