Latest News:
25th April 2014, KO 20:00
Leeds Carnegie v Cornish Pirates @ HC

Send interesting Leeds rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these messageboards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
31 Mar, 2012 16:48 Report
SoopaLeeds (IP Logged)
Purveyor of fine opinions
Date Joined: Jun, 2006
Not Good Enough
....just thought I'd beat the usual suspects to it.

(Sm157)

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 17:33 Report
Loosehead (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Sep, 2003
Re: Not Good Enough
Were we ever going to be, I think most before the start of the season knew it would be. what with the squad line up and their lack of 'nouse' in some areas.

Start planning for next season now, who is staying, who is going, who will sign a new contract, who we will get into replace them. Hopefully with a Head Coach from Leeds in charge of the England squad we could entice the odd name to play here.

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 17:35 Report
GJD (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Apr, 2005
I hope Bristol don't go up either, as no team in this league can afford for either WASP's or Newcastle with the big money backer to come down.
We were always a season away from going up!

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 17:39 Report
Loosehead (IP Logged)
Wasps may not be in the , The Falcons have better backing plus Richards coming in.

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 18:02 Report
farmertyke (IP Logged)
Date Joined: May, 2007
Very disappointing that we could not give it a better shot in the play offs. Listened to the radio and we again gave away too many penalties, something we have been plagued with all season.

Whether this is the fault of the players or the coaching staff I do not know but it is something that no one seems to have addressed.

You would equally have thought that after last weekend and only 17-20 down that Will Cliff would not have taken a quick tap penalty from a kickable position.......lamentable decision and one which sums up Leed's season.

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 18:07 Report
merry (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2006
hey ho.. sad smiley

until the esher and plymouth losses i was confident of getting to the semis, and even the final too (and hopeful of promotion). but after those games we couldn't really claim to be ready for promotion.

regardless of any mathematical possibilities, i'm looking at next season in the championship now.

let's hope the youngsters follow rowan's and wolker's examples and see their immediate future with the club. i imagine a few of the higher paid players will be moving on.

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 18:23 Report
Mark_C (IP Logged)
Original Cult
Date Joined: Sep, 2004
Good one, Merry!

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 19:08 Report
Timofe (IP Logged)
The Enchanter
There has been rumour this week that funding next season will be the same, regardless of which division we are in, but time will tell, I guess.

Riding the Leeds roller-coaster since 2001

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 20:10 Report
SoopaLeeds (IP Logged)
It's always darkest before dawn.

Hold that thought.....

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 21:34 Report
Scuffer (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Sep, 2010
Hats off to Andy Titterall today though. I thought he had his best game for a long time and lead by example. A shame he couldn't last a little longer. Ironically, this week it was just after he went off when we decided to run a penalty we should have kicked to get back to 20-20. Will Cliff has done that a few times this season. Too many penalties conceded in the last 20 minutes. And we desperately need to get McColl into the game much, much more. He's wasted stuck out on the wing.

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 21:44 Report
Bittern (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jun, 2011
Quote:
merry
hey
let's hope the youngsters follow rowan's and wolker's examples and see their immediate future with the club.

Well that depends on the club making them an offer first...

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 21:56 Report
SoopaLeeds (IP Logged)
...which sadly may depend on what's left in the pot when we've confirmed what division we're in.

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 22:07 Report
Rocky The Tyke (IP Logged)
Long Distance Sufferer
Date Joined: Jan, 2005
Seems like deals are being discussed but the club are slow with paperwork. No surprise there....they are always slower than other clubs seem to be.

The time for reminiscing is after rugby. Then you can sit down and get fat.

Quote from Josh Lewsey

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 22:29 Report
Lstyke (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Dec, 2011
Quote:
Scuffer
Hats off to Andy Titterall today though. I thought he had his best game for a long time and lead by example. A shame he couldn't last a little longer. Ironically, this week it was just after he went off when we decided to run a penalty we should have kicked to get back to 20-20. Will Cliff has done that a few times this season. Too many penalties conceded in the last 20 minutes. And we desperately need to get McColl into the game much, much more. He's wasted stuck out on the wing.

Wingers have no chance if receiving the ball with Thornley at 13, Davies off loaded numerous times today with oppourtunies for wingers to come into the game but yet again Thornley plays solo!

ReplyQuote

31 Mar, 2012 23:17 Report
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Feb, 2005
Lstyke, what match were you at today? We counted at least four occasions on which Thornley passed and, as a group, we commented specifically on it as a special occurrence.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 08:38 Report
Timofe (IP Logged)
The Enchanter
If anyone thinks that Diccon doesn't care enough, check this out.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 09:21 Report
JDH (IP Logged)
you can tell he is completely gutted

he is right about leeds losing games they were capable of winning and the key being making the wrong decision to many times at critical points in games

we need a couple of better props and 9,10 and 12 sorting

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 09:27 Report
JDH (IP Logged)
listening to the interview, why do you think leeds have (think) they are harshly / unfairly treated when it comes to the refs decison making? Its has been a common theme in most of DEs post match reactions

and why have we not managed to sort it?

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 09:32 Report
Bran (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Mar, 2005
The title to this thread should have been for this team. Before you all jump on me, the team has developed as the season has progressed, and IF we manage to keep hold of some of the players we will be a better team in the future. However this year was about balancing the figures, and NOTHING else. IF we had managed to gain promotion , Leeds rugby would have had an added bonus. I still can't believe how many fans/ the team actually think we are good enough to go up. We have failed to win far too many games by the smallest of margins and failed miserably to cope with the pressure games at the end of the season. I actually think Leeds will remain in the championship for a long time. We don't have the cash to bring lots in, I expect to lose as we always do our brightest stars. And can't see how we would expect to bring sponsors to the table with a whopping 1000+ watching the games.
A season we tried hard, but are not good enough- the league position is where this team is at. The rest is a pipe dream.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 09:42 Report
JDH (IP Logged)
agreed, we are not good enough but you still have to hope leeds can pull themselves together and have another crack next year

an improvement on this season, of any sort, would be welcomed!

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 09:46 Report
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
Desperado
Date Joined: Dec, 2006
Quote:
merry
...until the esher and plymouth losses i was confident of getting to the semis, and even the final too (and hopeful of promotion). but after those games we couldn't really claim to be ready for promotion....

We failed to build up any momentum during the regular season despite finishing strongly at the Old Deer Park. With our hit-and-miss form the play-offs were always going to be a lottery.

As has been said - plan for next season now. Sign up the youngsters who have shown real progress this campaign, retain the old 'uns who have made a good contribution and sort all the issues out before the close season.

Onwards and upwards!

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]
[www.embsaywitheastbyallotments.org.uk]

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 11:16 Report
Carnegiette1 (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Feb, 2009
Thornley did pass yesterday - I counted at least 3 occasions. And Titterell did have a great game (probably his best of the season)

Was pretty gutted yesterday but in the cold light of day, I feel ok. Was always concerned that if we didn't go up this time there may not be a future, but it does sound as if we are well on with planning for next season.

I quite like the Championship - and my aim is to get to more away games next season, (Jersey anyone?)

Expect to lose a few players- but hopefully we can keep as many as possible, and we will undoubtedly improve from this year's experience.

Being cynical our best result would be if no-one could go up, and there was no relegation. Would far rather have a go next year against the same teams as this year than Newcastle or Wasps........

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 12:23 Report
Bran (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Mar, 2005
sounds like we're hoping for somebody Else's down fall rather than us step up to the mark we believe we have a god given right to. incidentally, we don't have a given right to be in the prem and have failed to be there on merit for way too long.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 12:33 Report
Feeding (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Mar, 2011
Which are the key half dozen players to hang on to?

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 16:47 Report
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2008
Kirsty, Hampo, Beck, Denman, Lockwood, and Dom. Barrow of the younger ones. Of the older ones, Hohneck, Plug, Blackett, Mac., Dents and Wiliamson. I'd also want to hang on to Penders and Danny, if they could stay fit. I have not included Wacker and Jacob, because they are already signed on.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 16:47 by Haxbytyke.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 17:09 Report
Gelbel (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Apr, 2009
Quote:
GJD
I hope Bristol don't go up either, as no team in this league can afford for either WASP's or Newcastle with the big money backer to come down.
We were always a season away from going up!

Been out of the loop for a couple of weeks and trying to see what's been going on - hearing news from Bris and my brother confirmed yesterday that they now have a 'big' money backer. Seemingly from last Tuesday. Can't comment further at this stage until I get the info - nothing obvious on their web pages.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 17:10 Report
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
Desperado
Date Joined: Dec, 2006
Diccon is going to have to make some tough decisions. He does need to make them quickly. We have a history of dithering when it comes to offering contracts. Get the key players signed up NOW!

(Sm44)

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]
[www.embsaywitheastbyallotments.org.uk]

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 19:19 Report
SoopaLeeds (IP Logged)
Alas WW rugby players are human beings, not part of a fantasy rugby computer game.
Getting players signed is not a matter of chucking money and a bit of paper at them, there may be legitimate reasons for players not wanting to stay, or not wanting to accept a contract as offered by the club.
I suspect we'll see a couple of departures that will upset people, but the usual crew will be straight on here moaning that the club has no ambition etc etc.

ReplyQuote

1 Apr, 2012 19:23 Report
farmertyke (IP Logged)
For me the disturbing thing is that the players consistently all season gave away too many penalties and DE's lament reminds me of Johnson last year. Cue Lanny and suddenly this season England were no longer profligate in this department.

ReplyQuote

2 Apr, 2012 19:30 Report
Timofe (IP Logged)
The Enchanter
How can you miss Ding off that list Hax?!

"our best result would be if no-one could go up, and there was no relegation. Would far rather have a go next year against the same teams as this year than Newcastle or Wasps" - excellent point, Carnegiette1! Maybe the future's not so dim after all?

ReplyQuote

2 Apr, 2012 19:43 Report
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jan, 2008
[quote Timofe]How can you miss Ding off that list Hax?!

quote]

I deliberately only considered players who are contracted to Leeds. IF Dinger was available to come to Leeds, then, yes he would be very near the top of the list.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

ReplyQuote
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net