rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 16 December, KO 14:30 Dragons Prem Select v Yorkshire Carnegie @ Ystrad Mynach

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Red Card for High Tackles.
Madtyke (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 23:40
Just watching the Sarries game and I am still struggling to understand why the prop Richard Barrington was sent off. Brad Barritt should have at least been yellow carded but Geoff Parllng having had his head knocked off by Barritt was falling to ground and in doing so his head smashed into Barrington's shoulder. Too many slow-mo replays give a false impression IMHO.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 23:41 by Madtyke.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Red Card for High Tackles.
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 08:30
Im struggling with interpretation of it, Barritts attempt at a tackle was worthy of at least a yellow under the old rules no real attempt to wrap the arms round.

Later in game burger went in with a shoulder and ref looked at it a few times and said that was ok?

Barrington unlucky as Parling was on his way down Ref even apologised for sending him off!!!!!! Dangerous precident having refs feeling sorry for tbe team reduced to 14

Was mentioned during game there were still 3/4 assesments for head injuries made and at least 2 of them were deliberate attempts to tackle low and head on hip.

Player welfare the most important but remains to be seen wether new laws will help. Luckily Parling ok

Griz66
Griz66 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 23:29
Interesting piece in the Telegraph today by Ian McGeechan about the new tackle laws.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:39
Completely agree about the sarries incident. The ref bottled it. I thought red for Barritt and a yellow for Barrington.

Barritt has been called to a hearing. So will probably be banded from there I guess.

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 21:35
personally thought there was a strong case for 2 reds.

If all this finally gets players tackling lower then its worth it imo.

ellishicks
ellishicks (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 00:06
Quote:
Tassigny74
personally thought there was a strong case for 2 reds.
If all this finally gets players tackling lower then its worth it imo.

I would have thought the new ruling was brought in to stop attempts like Barritt's so I would have expected him to get a red card but the prop never expected to make contact with the head and probably wouldn't if Barritt's lasso hadn't dragged Parling down. Having said that the prop's attempted body check wasn't a tackle either.

"tackling lower" I guess that you didn't see Haskell knocking himself out on Burns. Classic head-on-the-wrong-side but I've always thought that's easier said than done when tackling the highly mobile players of today.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 00:24
Bosch did the similar thing for sarries. Always nasty those.

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:28
"tackling lower" I guess that you didn't see Haskell knocking himself out on Burns. Classic head-on-the-wrong-side but I've always thought that's easier said than done when tackling the highly mobile players of today.[/quote]

I did see the Haskell incident as you say classic of its type , accidents will happen and referee's have to bear that in mind but the reason this is being done is player welfare and to avoid massive compensation claims in future years. If that happened we really would end up playing touch . In a years time players will be tackling safer there will be fewer red cards ..hopefully.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:00
Notice Barrington got Sending off sufficient as he shouldn't have gone and Barritt a 3 game ban reduced from 6 as he should have,

Great having these new rules and well paid people on the field and in TMO truck got it wrong but instantly people sat at home with same view and a couple of pints down read it right,

Not convinced powers that be have filtered down the new rules to the people who need to know them properly,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net