rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 28 January KO 14:00 London Scottish v Yorkshire Carnegie @ The Athletic Ground

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

Mongo
Redpath to leave at the end of the season
Mongo (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 11:23

MESSAGES->author
Re: Redpath to leave at the end of the season
Zandra YaPoI (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 11:33
Never a dull moment!! Lol

Good job it's not my 'be all and end all'!!

Zandra YaPoI
YaPoI - Yorkshire and Proud of It

'proficiscor in una'

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 11:40
I don't we can be thinking positively about next season if JL is going to be coach. Left us once already. I think the board realise we will be a championship club next season. If they thought we would go up then they would be looking for a premiership quality coach

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:12
"we also intend to strengthen our team further with the appointment of an experienced director of rugby or performance director to work with James and the coaching team".

A Gibson replacement?

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:26
Best rugby I've seen at headingley in last few years was when Lowes was coach. Good appointment for me

MESSAGES->author
Rocky's Dad (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:30
Happy to see Jimmy back in charge.

Would like BR to step back now and let the guys who will be there next year have their heads.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:39

MESSAGES->author
SideStep (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 13:05
Agreed regarding most exciting rugby was under Lowes. With an expetienced solid DOR alongside him may be best long term.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

JohnnyP
JohnnyP (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 13:26
Whilst I agree we played some great stuff the season Jimmy was at the helm I'm convinced he benefitted greatly from the what he inherited from Diccon Edwards. That said I've been pretty unimpressed with BR's style of rugby. Sure we mostly grind out wins but there's not much invention or excitement on offer.

Wonder how well this will sit with the players especially the ones who were here during his last spell as I heard him described as marmite. By all accounts a top skills coach but I wonder what strides he has made in other important areas.

North needs success
10 January, 2017 14:23
JohnnyP. Yet again you have hit the nail on the head with your comments re DE. JL's success was very much on the coat tails of DE.

Jimmy Lowes is the cheap option. I mentioned a few weeks ago that it wouldn't surprise me if this happened. Makes you wonder if JL is a knife in the back man. It amazes me how the club can trust him after the way he left us last time.

Our backs haven't particularly functioned well this time in my opinion so, to me, this is a surprising choice. Not at all impressed.

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:50
Well Well Well now thats a surprise,NOT !!!! has he jumped or was he pushed ????? COYC!!!

JohnnyP
JohnnyP (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 15:02
IMHO NNS we had some real momentum DE signed a few good players for the following season then was sacked in favour of JL who had been helping out. We had a good following season then the side began to break up. Can't think of any players brought in on the JL era that improved us. Can't be sure if they were CG or JL signings of course but there you go. All very strange but not unhappy to see a change at the top. Watching the LW game last week brought flashbacks of the style of the JL season except this time our forward dominance stifled Welsh's more enterprising approach.

bbcleeds
bbcleeds (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 17:01
Hear from Bryan Redpath about today's announcement on West Yorkshire Sport Daily tonight from 6 on BBC Radio Leeds.

Also far less important, hear my view (Gareth Jones) on it all and what it could mean moving forward.

Can listen live or listen again (after 7.30pm) here: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks

BBC Radio Leeds - Proud to be Yorkshire

92.4 FM, 103.9 FM, 774 AM, DAB & ONLINE at bbc.co.uk/radioleeds

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 17:30
Thanks Gareth, I will be listening.

Hopefully we get a really good rugby director in then I will be happy with JL back in charge. Needs to be a driven uncompromising individual who takes over. It's player contracts time around now so hopefully we can keep most of our decent players and keep some stability.

Someone called this on here the other week. Well done. Can you put the lotto numbers on too?

As said it never bloody dull.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 17:30
Thank you Gareth (Sm134)

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 17:32 by Wildwillie .

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 17:55
Im a bit Meh about this really we are in a better place than when he arrived but if he wants to go then let him. Fair play on club announcing it now but not over thrilled at replacement but his last tenure was before my time so cant comment.

Understand all other comments on the board about better style of play under JL but it was only good enough to get to a play off semi to be beaten by LW who then replaced the whole team in order to survive prem.....it didnt work but what does it say about team that beat us? Oh and a losing B&i cup final same as brush.

It was muted in rugby paper late last year BR wanted a new deal in place by xmas. Clearly higher powers decided he should venture into non banking.

As ive posted before think people unfair on him as too many wanted the JL style back. Careful what you wish for i reckon

ill say thanks to BR as i bought a ST the season GM took over trust me anything was better than that

JohnnyP
JohnnyP (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 18:08
Part of problem with Welsh is they showed no faith in the team that won them promotion replacing them wholesale with journeymen on the wane and reaped the "benefits". The problem with JL's team that season is we were bullied up front in the games that mattered and we never took any steps to address it. As for the B&I final we got there and fielded a second string. Always rankled that and same man now back on the tiller. 😞

Carnegiette1
Carnegiette1 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 18:27
Quote:
JohnnyP
Whilst I agree we played some great stuff the season Jimmy was at the helm I'm convinced he benefitted greatly from the what he inherited from Diccon Edwards. That said I've been pretty unimpressed with BR's style of rugby. Sure we mostly grind out wins but there's not much invention or excitement on offer.
Wonder how well this will sit with the players especially the ones who were here during his last spell as I heard him described as marmite. By all accounts a top skills coach but I wonder what strides he has made in other important areas.

Spot on.

What I will say about BR is that we have won games this year that in other years we would have lost. However we have not been convincing.

Not a Jimmy fan TBH- with the lack of loyalty he's shown there very few employers who would put him back into the same job.

Here's hoping for a good DoR.

North needs success
10 January, 2017 19:01
"Experienced Director of Rugby"???

Andy Robinson ????

NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO NO NO

NEVER PLEASE NEVER

North needs success
10 January, 2017 19:05
JDH it was me who called exactly this scenario a few weeks ago. It was just so relatively easy to see knowing the way we operate.

Lottery numbers ? That's a totally different matter and I'm still waiting !!!

MESSAGES->author
Rocky (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 19:54
Thanks for the coverage and your thoughts Gareth, as always its a tough choice pushing YC within West Yorkshire Sport and hopefully the Carnegie board will make contact and put forward their position and what the next x year plan is.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:05
I hope you think we will win the playoffs NNS....

Dor appointment will be interesting. Suppose it depends on the funding and shareholders we have in place as to who will come.

An old head or a young unproven up and coming individual I wonder. Needs to have standing in the game for me. It's a bit of a different role. Don't think we have had one before have we?

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:07
As others have said not too fussed about BR leaving , I too enjoyed the JL era and diccon before that. Intrigued who the new DOR will be.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:16
We fired under JL but we did have

Hampo
Loz
Burdon
Vickys
Holmes
Mccoll
Who was on the other wing?

All in good shape. Saying that JL did give loz his chance and he ain't looked back.

MESSAGES->author
Rocky (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:50
I remember that the backline against Bristol in December 2013 (a performance I still have on my sky box) was:

Hampo
Hughes
Doc
Griffin
Holmes
McColl

That was a brilliant game, in particular the first half.

Carnegiette1
Carnegiette1 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:55
Quote:
Rocky
I remember that the backline against Bristol in December 2013 (a performance I still have on my sky box) was:
Hampo
Hughes
Doc
Griffin
Holmes
McColl

That was a brilliant game, in particular the first half.

One of my happiest memories of being a fan was that game. Gelbel and I were there and we literally silenced the Mem. Was brilliant

Izzy Eckerslike
Izzy Eckerslike (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:56
No point harking back to DE et al guys. Be careful who you wish for - you might end up with Lanny back and Rob Andrew as DoR, or even the "Back" door "Key"!!!

oopnorth
oopnorth (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:03
Why not Lancaster if he is interested ?

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:55
Now let me think successful Irish Provence or Us ?????? ye got it Not going to happen. anyway we have already made an appointment !!!! COYC!!!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:45
I think we've a better squad now, shame it's not performing to expectations.

Anyway, the good bit about this is getting a new DoR - the current one (pal of Hetherington, ex marketing man) has been notable by his absence... not that he was ever noticeable.

And I hope it's a DoR and not a performance manager - the former would be over JL, the later under.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 19:41
My feeling when JL returned was that he would, after leaving the Bulls, find it difficult to be anything other than a #2 and I see the latest news bearing this out as far as the powers that be at YC are concerned!

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:55
That is very true BL a good DOR is needed urgently!!!! COYC !!!!

Wensleydale Falcon
Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 18:59
I would be interested to know just how much the the inability for the club to find a financial backer (who is prepared to suffer significant annual losses)if you guys get promoted to the Premiership has influenced Redpaths decision here.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 20:18
Sadly I think the opposite. Our backers are only interested in the premiership and I hope they do not lose patience as the greasy pole that is promotion is getting higher every year

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 08:39
As a Club with top flight ambitions it amazes me that the Club has once again gone for the "cheap" option. There is a man, with a great proven record, recently departed from Leicester, a major Premiership Club, that could possibly be available. As soon as his departure was announced we should have been on his doorstep with an open cheque book and securing his signature on a long term contract. What has happened is at best wishy-washy. Brush stays on to the end of the season with J-Lo to follow in his footsteps. Continuity indeed. More mediocrity in my view.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 08:48
I'm with Bobba on this one. Whatever you think of Leicester Cockerill is a great coach and we should have been beating his door down to get him to sign for us.

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 12:31
And how much would he cost? We're surviving £ wise but not if we spend it hand over fist.

I know it's a Catch 22 before I get shot down - but look what happens to the teams who live beyond their means.

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 13:23
Again a very sensible statement ,the Championship in its present form is doomed COYC!!!Next year for us will be the acid test ?

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 14:26
Quote:
bird lover
Again a very sensible statement ,the Championship in its present form is doomed COYC!!!Next year for us will be the acid test ?

I think this season is the "acid test" and so far we have not cut the mustard. (Sm16)

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 14:49
I agree WW but my Acid test is the financial side my view is lots to happen and some may not be good ? COYC!!!!

MESSAGES->author
GJD (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 14:58
Quote:
Bobba
As a Club with top flight ambitions it amazes me that the Club has once again gone for the "cheap" option. There is a man, with a great proven record, recently departed from Leicester, a major Premiership Club, that could possibly be available. As soon as his departure was announced we should have been on his doorstep with an open cheque book and securing his signature on a long term contract. What has happened is at best wishy-washy. Brush stays on to the end of the season with J-Lo to follow in his footsteps. Continuity indeed. More mediocrity in my view.

Would not touch him with a barge pole. Leicester play the worse rugby in the Prem and its so dated and it has cost him his job.

i would rather see us just losing in a game throwing it around and scoring tries, than a 9 - 6 game..

ellishicks
ellishicks (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 15:40
Quote:
Gelbel
And how much would he cost? We're surviving £ wise but not if we spend it hand over fist.
I know it's a Catch 22 before I get shot down - but look what happens to the teams who live beyond their means.

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? We get a chance in the play-offs. Redpath will not and should not 'hand anything over' until he gets his chance to go out with a blaze of glory.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:17
Agree! Brush to go out on a high, saying I told you I was a good coach.......

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:38
I agree with Gel, it will all come down to who we can attract for the money we can offer. Championship rugby is not particularly attractive to an experienced coach, so I doubt we could tempt any of the so called 'big' names and stay within our budget.
One factor which could maybe bring Lanny back, would be returning to his family roots, but is he the right man for the job?

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

yeldor
yeldor (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:53
Much as I like Lanny he's not the man for this job . Now if we could someone in the mould of Steve Diamond however ?

sent off carried off never backed off

North needs success
15 January, 2017 12:42
I might have a cheeky little bet on Kevin Maggs as our next DOR

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 15:16

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 16:19
Where is he now? Seem to remember him on the bench a while back.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:00
Moseley.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:06
Just been released as a cost-cutting exercise, according to today's Rugby Paper.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:15
I know he was a good player but is he a decent Dor and the type of man we need?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
17 January, 2017 18:55
So Bradford Bulls redux are off and running but the new owners have said they also want a new coach. Hmmm ...

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
17 January, 2017 19:57
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
So Bradford Bulls redux are off and running but the new owners have said they also want a new coach. Hmmm ...

Albert you are a bad man!(Sm20)

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

Carnegiette1
Carnegiette1 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2017 19:59
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

My first thought also..... Groundhog Day!

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 10:47
Has there been mention of Gibson going ? What does he actually do ???? thought he was untouchable ??? COYC!!!!!

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 12:05
If they are talking about appointing a DOR above Jimmy L he must be falling back on his other role, which is DOR at the Rhinos!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 15:42
Quote:
bird lover
Has there been mention of Gibson going ? What does he actually do ???? thought he was untouchable ??? COYC!!!!!

I've asked for him to be a guest at the fans forum as I think we all want to know!!!! have heard he's taken a step back - not that he ever had a step forward IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 19:33
Seems to me that the logic is that we need someone with established RU credentials with Brush leaving and Geech clearly in a semi-retirement mode. Whilst J-Lo did himself proud when leading us last time, recruiting needs someone with RU contacts. Perhaps replace Gibson with a Premiership ex-Head Coach on a part-time basis? I have nobody in mind, but there must be someone out there, who has rejected the Asda "meeter and greeter" opportunities and looks to stay on in a rugby role?

MESSAGES->author
GJD (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 20:59
Jon Callard..

Only lives up the road

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 January, 2017 22:18
What's he doing these days?

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 09:40
So is living close a prerequisite ? Gibson could be eyes and ears ? Not sure what he has ever done or what his union Knowledge is,But we seem alaways to have big league influence and I am not sure its working ? It may have been time for Redpath to go not been overly impressed with last two years and I suppose he did not come cheap.Interesting times ahead,Our deal with Carnegie coming to an end what does the future hold.COYC!!!

Tyko
Tyko (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 14:51
Quote:
bird lover
Our deal with Carnegie coming to an end what does the future hold.COYC!!!

A change of name back to Tykes I hope. Too much to ask for Leeds Tykes. And yes I suppose that does make me a bit of a remoaner.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 15:42
It would be more honest. And it would make it easier for the club to decide it's identity and target audience.

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 09:27
Its Leeds and that's it!! Leeds Tykes!! top draw its not rocket science !!!! COLT!!!!!

Tyko
Tyko (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 14:19
Quote:
bird lover
COLT!!!!!

Exactly (Sm42)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
20 January, 2017 14:59
Dream on lads,

Everyone knows it's going to be Yorkshire Tykes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Yorkshire Carnegie Poll

Who will win promotion to the premiership this season?

See results > Submit >>