rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 16 December, KO 14:30 Dragons Prem Select v Yorkshire Carnegie @ Ystrad Mynach

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

Selby Kev
Nothing To Lose??
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 16:54
How's this for a wee bit of positivity.....

What have we got to lose? There will be massive expectations and big money on an Irish win? The Irish players will be carrying massive expectations on their shoulders when they walk out on the Headingly turf? This will definitely cramp their style...its predictable...its inevitable! They will 'not want to lose' more they 'do want to win'? It will mess with their heads...it has to. You just can't 'coach out' that depth of nervous anxiety and insecurity!

On the Big Occasion when it really maters...they will exude a wave of unprecedented hesitancy and confusion.... and this will be their final undoing.... They will over-cook all their well honed moves...Their well rehearsed timing will slip from their over coached fingers...going from bad to worse with each jittery movement....Sliced and inaccurate kicks will bring groans from their small and silenced wee band of supporters. Shamrocks will wilt and shrivel? The 'desperate need to perform'..... will truly overwhelm them!

And naturally we will play with absolute confidence completing all our moves with a style and finesse unseen for many a year. The Lions team will look on with envy! The set piece will dominate...the back line will fire with unparalleled speed and accuracy and Ruthless Joe will punish unforgivingly with the golden boot! We will win comfortably by a margin of 20 points+ which will totally demoralise Irish..... and their now tarnished dreams of returning to Premiership status will lie in ragged tatters on the Headingly turf.

Now crushed and defeated by their initial encounter and the hysterical wrath of their demented coaches,Irish will obviously 'fail to turn up' in the second leg. Their fluttering desperation to reclaim the initiative will quickly fade away... leaving nothing but a desperate and defeated sense of despair at the thought of playing Bristol in the Championship.

Sky reporters will be silenced and dumbfounded. Leeds will calmly and clinically finish the task required....and then march triumphantly into the Premiership ...at last... after several faltering seasons... becoming an established force to be reckoned with and finally fulfilling their true potential.

OK...I have got a heavy cold ...and am drifting in and out of consciousness...but apart from that...I have a good feeling about Wednesday...after all 'what have we got to lose'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2017 10:51 by Selby Kev.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Nothing To Lose??
almostatyke (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 17:47
I like your optimism, Kev. BTW let me know what you have been drinking and I'll have some on Wednesday!

Time Trial
Time Trial (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 18:45
Well that's an excellent articulation of my thoughts precisely! It will be hardly worth playing the second leg after Carnegie put 50 points on them at Headingley...

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 19:08
Aye, and Corbyn will win with a landslide!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 19:23
've. Should your feverish delusions come to fruition and promotion is gained, what have we to lose? Well, let's start with 22 matches in the season. But,then again, with the Carnegie money gone,it will probably be the latest reincarnation of the club that loses out,so it won't matter! Or will it?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 19:39
The Exeter model of Promotion - for long our aim - is now all but impossible to replicate. The premiership salary cap was circa 3 million when Exeter made the leap up: now it is in excess of 10 million including marquee players and medical jokers. Meanwhile the Championship has flat-lined at best.
So we either give up or come up with a cunning plan. My cunning plan is to take the Promotion, and all the money that goes with it, but to play English-qualified Academy players all next season (so we get all the funds). Of course we will heavily lose 22 matches, but if we "squandered" say 5 million on brought-in players' salaries we would still get relegated. So bank say 3-4 million for later. Then we take the parachute payment, add it to the money "banked" and we then have some serious cash that should get promotion and could possibly build a Premiership, bottom-feeding but avoiding relegation team.
So we are looking at a 3 year plan.
In a way we would be treating the Premiership like Richmond treated the Championship - "better to lose 22 matches than lose the club". Just as Richmond's approach devalued the Championship, the Premiership, with us losing heavily ever week would be similarly weakened. Sadly the stupid financial situation means we need to employ desperate measures IMHO.

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 20:14
I'm with "desperate measures" Almo...and the polls have been wrong before Albert? The common denominator in both Politics and rugby is that "we live in hope"? Would love to see our lads let rip on Wednesday and confound the pundits. That first half-Ealing away showed some real self belief...it only takes a few bounces in the right direction...I'm coming to see history in the making!

London Irish 'til I die
15 May, 2017 21:50
No chance. We won't be steamrolled by you lot, no matter how good you may be. You'll get your chances another year but we will not lose this game. No messing about from Irish over the next few weeks.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 22:00
No humour in that post! Let hope there is no humour in him or her Wednesday night either.

We have a chance. Need the best couple of games this team has produced in a long while mind.

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 22:25
With you JDH!!Lets get out of the traps firing! Just proves my point "til I die"...the expectation is far too high for Irish...all that pressure....and potential disappointment? How can you expect a team to perform in that climate??

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 22:31
PS Looks like rugby for ducks on Wed? Can't see Irish coping with all that Yorkshire wet stuff-too real !!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 07:21
I've been drinking the same stuff as Selby as I feel the same. Doodly squat to lose.

I am also smiling at the pants weather - lets hope the forecasters have got it right for once.

carlascough
carlascough (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 09:25
Quote:
almostatyke
The Exeter model of Promotion - for long our aim - is now all but impossible to replicate. The premiership salary cap was circa 3 million when Exeter made the leap up: now it is in excess of 10 million including marquee players and medical jokers. Meanwhile the Championship has flat-lined at best.
So we either give up or come up with a cunning plan. My cunning plan is to take the Promotion, and all the money that goes with it, but to play English-qualified Academy players all next season (so we get all the funds). Of course we will heavily lose 22 matches, but if we "squandered" say 5 million on brought-in players' salaries we would still get relegated. So bank say 3-4 million for later. Then we take the parachute payment, add it to the money "banked" and we then have some serious cash that should get promotion and could possibly build a Premiership, bottom-feeding but avoiding relegation team.
So we are looking at a 3 year plan.
In a way we would be treating the Premiership like Richmond treated the Championship - "better to lose 22 matches than lose the club". Just as Richmond's approach devalued the Championship, the Premiership, with us losing heavily ever week would be similarly weakened. Sadly the stupid financial situation means we need to employ desperate measures IMHO.

The cap was 4.5 million when Exeter went up. Other than that, I pretty much agree. To all those who think going up will be a disaster, just how do you think we will continue to exist losing money in the championship year on year? We don't have the fans/income. Life in the championship is hardly looking sustainable.

As almostatyke says, go up, take the money, and at worst the future of the club is safe for another few years. At best, we may even stay up and get even more money and we can start to dream of being competitive.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 10:00
Good plan Almo. Not sure what the RFU would say to this sort of plan. I suspect we would be kicked out and finish up playing our home games in outer Mongolia

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 10:07
This sounds as though we have already secured promotion! It's possible but by no means probable that this will happen.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

carlascough
carlascough (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 10:56
Quote:
Bobba
Good plan Almo. Not sure what the RFU would say to this sort of plan. I suspect we would be kicked out and finish up playing our home games in outer Mongolia

The RFU could have no possible beef with it, especially given the plight of London Welsh. We don't have a lot of money coming in, so to live within our means would be entirely sensible, and ultimately, if we came back down, leave us in a better place than we are today.

MESSAGES->author
farmertyke (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 11:41
London Irish. You might well prevail against our lot on Wednesday and maybe even next Wednesday too . But remember , you may be favourites to go up but next season you will be favourites to come down again.

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:28
Well said farmer...."what goes up...?"....I think Irish should really focus on that for the full 80mins in the pouring rain on Wed!!!....and ask themselves...."Is it really worth it?"

MESSAGES->author
farmertyke (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 17:53
Selby it was really in reply to the Irish till I die poster above.
As for the rain , it looks like it could be V wet.

Time Trial
Time Trial (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 19:27
Quote:
London Irish 'til I die
No chance. We won't be steamrolled by you lot, no matter how good you may be. You'll get your chances another year but we will not lose this game. No messing about from Irish over the next few weeks.

Heard these sentiments from the Falcons fans before the playoffs in 2013 before they got a spanking. Please come tomorrow and bring your infectious over-confidence with you.

Hugo.LI
Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 19:32
Looking forward to the game tomorrow, as an Irish fan over the past few years we haven't coped with pressure all that well! (particularly last year) so all is still to play for and I'm sure we'll see both teams give it their all. See you tomorrow and may the best team win!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:19
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Looking forward to the game tomorrow, as an Irish fan over the past few years we haven't coped with pressure all that well! (particularly last year) so all is still to play for and I'm sure we'll see both teams give it their all. See you tomorrow and may the best team win!

Well said and hope tomorrow is a great sporting occasion: we differ on how the outcome will be interpreted but that is sport!

(Sm146)

PcPete999
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:27
As Hugo has said, pressure was a killer for us last year, the away games at Worcester and Falcons which sealed our fate springing immediately to mind.

The club however does appear to be a very different place now and the esteemed Doctor Venter talks about pressure in this article... [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Good luck for tomorrow night, I hope that the conditions don't make ot a poor game, and that it's won by some excellent play from someone, and not lost on an individuals mistake.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 02:47
Just about to board a flight from San Diego to Heathrow which unfortunately won't get me back up north in time for the game.

Just got time to wish the lads all the best. Remember Joe Johnson in '86, Wimbledon FC in '88, Buster Douglas in '90, Sheffield Eagles in 98, Japan vs South Africa in the 2015 RWC.

Come on Carnegie!

Izzy Eckerslike
Izzy Eckerslike (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 14:34
You're right there Leeming. Stranger things have happened, like Bradford City at Wembley on Saturday for promotion to the footy Ch'ship. Come on Carnegie, come on Bfd City - sock it to 'em!

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:01
Can we have Dr. Ventnor next season please. He certainly can motivate

London Irish 'til I die
17 May, 2017 21:12
I apologise if I upset anyone with my post. Well played tonight YC in awful conditions. I'm looking forward to next week, should be a good game!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2017 21:15 by London Irish 'til I die.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:27
Hi LITID, no-one's upset. Conditions were not that bad, it stopped raining about KO time and there was no wind - perfect conditions for Tommy Bell's kicking, and we remember how good he is from his season with us.
We couldn't keep our first-half effort going into the second half, and perhaps needed a bit of luck from the referee but the better team won.

London Irish 'til I die
17 May, 2017 21:42
Yes the referee was a little unfair on you. If I wasn't an Irish fan I'd give you every chance next week. We'll see how it pans out! Looking forward to meeting a few of your fans at the match - how many are coming?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net