rugbyunion
Latest News:

Friday 25 August, KO TBC, @ Kingsholm, Gloucester Rugby v Yorkshire Carnegie

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
First leg
SideStep (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 20:34
Half time carnegie 15 Irish 13. Entertaining first half and hope of taking a lead into the second leg very real currently!

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

headingleytyke
Re: First leg
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:53
Two tough decisions AGAINST us but LI are a full 80 mins side

Jonny_C
Jonny_C (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 22:26
Your lads were more interested in taking the game to us in that first half, and didn't give penalties away. Our defence seemed to stand off too much giving YC time to break through. The no8 particularly.
Irish woke up in the second half. Scrum was the weapon of choice again. Lots of nerves in the Irish side.

See yous in Reading.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 22:33
Advantage irish. They had that bit more quality in the last 20mins and did well off our knock ons.
First half I though we were good and show we could get through them. We just lost shape and composure in the second. I thought our bench added nothing and were really poor. Better to leave the starters on if they were fit.
I think jp Doyle was a tad harsh on us in crucial times. The head shot I had seen yellows given in the AP all day long for that and Marshall stepping in front of elder was 50 50. Also didn't ref offside and blatant crossing.
Need to sort the scrum. Odonnell is no tighthead and it went to pieces in the second half. Why did west go off?

Half time though. 11 points is a big margin but not impossible. Need to be more clinical and play with more pace. Thought we looked good when we pulled there pack around.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 22:34
Excellent first half, we just about deserved our lead, but we couldn't keep it going in the second half. We went from winning penalties at scrums to losing penalties at every scrum, plus I think we started to play off-script.
We needed the rain to continue or a bit more luck or some help from the referee: surely the block in the second half was a yellow card?
But the better side has the lead at the half-way point in this contest.

MESSAGES->author
farmertyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 23:31
Best first half that we have witnessed all season was our group consensus but as others have said our subs were poor and their arrival at odds with the flow of the game.
Why do they persist in changing Davis ?
Lewis Boyce may be a powerhouse in open play but at the scrum he looked just as vulnerable as he did before he was pulled off against Ealing .
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the Irish 13 was not carded for a high tackle on Holmes ?
Doyle gave a penalty for a high tackle and the ruling for that is a yellow is it not ?
And did we have a TMO tonight ?
Good crowd .

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 23:35
No doubt Irish finished the stronger side, but Mr. Doyle, apart from missing forward passes and blatant blocking, bottled the one big decision he had to make when Jonah was felled. a blatant, deliberate high shot at the player they feared the most. I've seem red cards given for less than that. Likewise the block on Elder, if it was a penalty, it was a yellow card.
I'd agree about the changes too. Davies was outstanding, if he wasn't injured, he should have stayed on.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

Carnegie needs success
17 May, 2017 23:57
I don't think the bench were to blame for the last 20 mins, Irish were more physical and we lost the contact area where we were dominating this area in the first half and giving our backs a platform to play off. Unfortunately our scrum fell apart in the second half where we had this in the first half, and then we lost the chance to play ! Great first half & the best 80 mins we have played all season. Stay positive, Bristol lost last year in the second leg, 'believe'.

Carnegie needs success
18 May, 2017 00:27
Two stupid penalties in the first half 6 points in front of our posts, and Ford missed 3 kicks where Bell was 100%, there were 11 points either given in penalties or missed kicks, the difference in winning cup rugby ! However I believe we correct this in the second leg, score first and put the doubts in the Irish minds !

MESSAGES->author
Rocky's Dad (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:02
Farmer
Te Sky team were also bemused at the high tackle decision and suggested that the Ref did not want to reduce one of the teams to 14 and spoil the Spectacle?
Made no sense and I know its Paranoia but I don't think Yorkshire would have avoided the bin had it been the other way round.
Interestingly the BBC seemed to be watching the game in a parallel universe where the Not-not's had a man sin binned

Did I miss something?

Quote:
The hosts were unable to take advantage of the extra man when Brendan McKibbin was sent to the sin-bin, as Irish improved their chances of making an immediate return to the Premiership following their relegation last season.

BBC

MESSAGES->author
Rocky's Dad (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:40
OK it must be me as the Torygraph also saw the sin bin!
Quote:
Carnegie would not lie down and two excellent bursts from Chris Elder secured them a platform in the Irish 22, with Ford reducing the arrears with a penalty after McKibbin was yellow-carded for a deliberate obstruction. But three further penalties from Bell rewarded Irish's second-half dominance.

I know I was up very early yesterday but I did not think I dropped off?

sms
sms (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:47
Looks like P.A. have done the reporting and issued the wrong information out. Lets hope McKillbin gets sited and banned for next weeks game. Know if he'd been sent off we should have scored a try! Do we get a different ref next week? Doyle should certainly have gone to Specsavers.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:50
Lots of talk about milking the high tackle, no head assessment, doctors on the field but their missing the point. The players arm did not ride up off the shoulder it was clear contact with the head and was a yellow card. JP Doyle bottled it simple as that.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:59
It will probably be Barnes next week, 20 minutes of overtime will see Irish triumph by a point overall!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

PcPete999
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:04
Quote:
sms
Looks like P.A. have done the reporting and issued the wrong information out. Lets hope McKillbin gets sited and banned for next weeks game. Know if he'd been sent off we should have scored a try! Do we get a different ref next week? Doyle should certainly have gone to Specsavers.

A few questions.

1. Who is McKillbin?
2. What exactly should he be getting 'cited' and banned for?
3. Why should you have scored a try if he'd been sent off?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2017 09:58 by Ozzy3213.

bird lover
bird lover (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:21
Bit gutted we are just not good enough, and with our best players already contracted out for next year and letting loyal club man go I am bit concerned as to future!! We still have a chance 80 min to turn it round. But I feel they have bit more than us and as we fade they got stronger . COLT!!!

HMRH
HMRH (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:47
Irish fan - yes a blatant high tackle and agree lucky to stay on but over the game I thought we were the better side and ground your forwards down. See you in Reading

Izzy Eckerslike
Izzy Eckerslike (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 10:26
No complaints. Beaten by a better side, but only just.The stupid penalties lost us the game. You can't gift penalties in front of the posts to a kicker like Bell, he can put them over with his eyes shut! (I think I could, come to that!). Brush has to drill the DISCIPLINE into their heads and they're in with a good chance at Reading. Let's face it, they did rip through the Irish easily when they worked for Jonah's "Rory Underwood moment". A bit less kicking away possession would help as well! Go for it next week lads!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 10:45
Still looking forward to next week and us putting in a massive performance. Good discipline, early try, a big slice of luck and the best game we have played bar none!

John R
John R (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 11:36
The Irish supporters stood near us on the dark side were mighty impressed by our first half and fearful of the second!

It wasn't to be but it shows the views of the two eyed not not's, one lady stating it was the best game she had seen all season....

Up the Yorkshire Carnegie TYKES !

Carnegiette1
Carnegiette1 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:00
Real conundrum- I don't like the playoffs generally and think they are unfair- BUT last night produced the. best crowd, best atmosphere and best performance we have had in years.

A coup of times in recent years we have built up certain games at HC to get a crowd in: Sir Kev's first game, the B&I final and the home play off vs Donny last year- and the performance let us down badly. This was the complete opposite.

I thought we played with a real intensity- yes we lost and that was probably fair but we gave it a real go. Need to do the same next week- score first and that would give us a real chance.

Scrum (well for 60 minutes) was better, lineout much improved. Scored 2 good tries. We were right in it until Irish's experience and skill told in the last 20 minutes. Fair play to Brush in terms of team selection as well.

Really enjoyed it- same again next week please!

sms
sms (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 17:17
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Quote:
sms

A few questions.

1. Who is McKillbin?
2. What exactly should he be getting 'cited' and banned for?
3. Why should you have scored a try if he'd been sent off?
Ok. Number 9 as quoted by P.A. McKibbin, though I thought it was number 13
The deliberate high tackle that even the commentators thought he should have been sent off, at least a yellow card. And 3,the average score conceded by the team down to 14 men is 7-10 points.

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 18:02
Most folks have nailed the problem areas well..... We were every match for Irish in the first half but to me we gave away a very soft try with poor defence and some confusion? That was the main damage? Lineout was good. Rucking was quite good. defence was good after the pressure we put ourselves under...but MUST sort scrum out for next week...6-9 points away? I wasn't that impressed with Irish?

We took the points from second half penalty in front of posts...but in games like this you have to back yourself...and we should have gone for corner I think? You have to 'want to win' more than taking more cautious approach....caution next week a bit pointless?

If scrum works Buzz has time to pick up? Also thought their 10 nailed those long distance corner kicks well...right up to whitewash? That's something we can practice on. Bet Stevie could find some big yards? In fact I think we could make more of him than we do? He was lethal a few seasons ago coming into line from deep? And Joe just needs to keep thumping those long angles over? Without Bell's woodwork bounce it would have been 8?

We keep our nerve....sort scrum out...take a few risks....slot penalties...and a bit more close range offload work? if we score early and take 7...its game on? I think we will do it...If we score early Irish nerves will resurface...they want it too badly to win!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 19:27
Agree with all of the above. Another highlight last night was the line out - even one miss call/throw was retained. Can't believe I'm typing this, Stegmann showed what he can do. Even Casson stepped out of reverse/first gear.

Next week we need to stop with the aimless aerial tennis as we were more effective with ball in hand. Brush referred to it in his interview. And, for goodness sake, vary the blooming kick off/restarts.

Hugo.LI
Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:16
I was really impressed with you guys yesterday, gave us a real run for our money. Although I'd be suprised if our defense is as poor as it was yesterday but nerves do funny things! First score is crucial next week, see you guys there!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:29
Hi Hugo, I will be there, although a mid-week evening match (on Sky) and the score as it currently is, means folk might be resistant to taking two days off work. Don't expect too many of us.
We did our best on Wednesday and we will hopefully show the same commitment next week. Playing and nearly always winning against Championship standard teams all season (with all due respect) is no preparation for the challenge of playing you guys when you are fully motivated over two legs. But we will do our best.
Lets hope for a good occasion (though we probably differ on what outcome that denotes).

It was nice to see Headingley with a half-decent attendance, and I think LI fans did their club proud.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:36
Two days off work? That's for wimps. Two half days here! Might even do a full day next if I'm not too knackered on Thursday am - there's no way I'll sleep late.

Carnegiette1
Carnegiette1 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:37
Half day and a couple of hours on Thursday- hard core ........

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:51
After 39.5 years of full-on construction management work I am owed a few days/weeks/months/years off and look forward to relaxing in retired mode. Let's have a good day out, and who knows, something pleasant might happen on the pitch.

#not a sing when you are winning supporter

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 23:51
Half a day here. I will be fuelled by carnegie's outstanding victory against all the odds.

Time Trial
Time Trial (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 06:34
Yes the boys did us proud and going in at half time I thought we had a real chance. Don't want to dwell on the yellow-card incident but clearly that would have changed the game dynamics. As brush says that's not the reason we lost. Second half Irish were just better well done to them. We clearly missed Faletau when he went off. Hopefully he'll be back for the second leg or we are in trouble. I would not play Cussack as a replacement he is clearly not fit. The only other change would be Stegman- did little and can't tackle I'd put McColl on the wing. Big composed first half shame we let it slip. Need a huge 80 next week. Best of luck lads!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 08:20
I thought steggers was superb.

ooooopsmissedit
ooooopsmissedit (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 11:20
I thought Casson was excellent.

MESSAGES->author
Zandra YaPoI (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:04
One day off here and a late start on the Thursday!

Only half time and the pressure will be on them.

Time will tell.

Zandra YaPoI
YaPoI - Yorkshire and Proud of It

'proficiscor in una'

North needs success
19 May, 2017 14:12
11 points is a lot to make up away at Irish so we should really go for it, up the tempo, throw it around in the hope of it turning into a loose game later on. Never say never, anything can happen although I was hoping to have a slight lead after the first leg. First score is absolutely crucial next Wednesday.

They should certainly have had two yellow cards, I don't think there's much debate about that, and how different the scoreline might have looked.

Thought Davies was excellent on Wednesday. I wouldn't have taken him off. Casson, Lucock also very good along with Jonah. Others seem to think Steggers had a good game. Personally I didn't see that I'm afraid.

Overall, an enjoyable game to watch. Hope it's the same next week.

calummckenzie2
calummckenzie2 (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 15:54
Quote:
North needs success
11 points is a lot to make up away at Irish so we should really go for it, up the tempo, throw it around in the hope of it turning into a loose game later on. Never say never, anything can happen although I was hoping to have a slight lead after the first leg. First score is absolutely crucial next Wednesday.
They should certainly have had two yellow cards, I don't think there's much debate about that, and how different the scoreline might have looked.

Thought Davies was excellent on Wednesday. I wouldn't have taken him off. Casson, Lucock also very good along with Jonah. Others seem to think Steggers had a good game. Personally I didn't see that I'm afraid.

Overall, an enjoyable game to watch. Hope it's the same next week.

Stegmann took the ball brilliantly from a couple of the restarts and was pretty good under the high ball. A player who hasn't really lived up to expectations IMO - but I thought he was a good 7/10 on Wednesday.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 16:43
Quote:
ooooopsmissedit
I thought Casson was excellent.

Welcome to the board ooooops! (Sm134)

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Bittern (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 17:05
For the avoidance of doubt Wayne Barnes explains the sanctions for high tackles.

Wayne Barnes explains high tackle rule

J P Doyle take note...

ooooopsmissedit
ooooopsmissedit (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 18:24
Thank you I'm a long time lurker 😎

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 18:47
Quote:
Bittern
For the avoidance of doubt Wayne Barnes explains the sanctions for high tackles.
Wayne Barnes explains high tackle rule

J P Doyle take note...

Good point. A clear red card offence on Jonah according to Mr Barnes video.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Yorkshire Carnegie Poll

Who will win promotion to the premiership this season?

See results > Submit >>