rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 2 September, KO 14;00, London Scottish v Yorkshire Carnegie @ Athletic Ground

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Mushroom treatment
almostatyke (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 21:05
I have always tried to be as optimistic as I could: trying to recognise that contract confidentiality often means that news about players signed or released cannot be confirmed officially by the club at the time. Similarly financial arrangements. I also understand that the club could not plan its future until the outcome of the Play-off Final.
But we are currently at an all time low (and the start of the Green Years is quite a low bar to stoop under). Once again we see our star players leaving with no news of replacements.
No news from the club, no statement of what the plan is, going forward.
Surely at least a statement that a statement will be made on a certain date would help.

Why the hell should I renew my Season ticket/membership?

(Sm164)

MESSAGES->author
Re: Mushroom treatment
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 08:20
Friday is always a good day for news - gives you a good feeling for the weekend. I think that there will be very little in the way of newsworthy items this summer so that they will have to be frugal and drip feed them out to us with large stretches of silence in between.

It is unlikely that there will be a raft of signings. A name change is a possibility so we should wait with baited breath.

Contrast our lack of news with the situation at Clifton Lane where the capture of Andy Key as coach has given the club a real lift with new signings announced regularly.

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 11:50
Quote:
almostatyke
Why the hell should I renew my Season ticket/membership?

(Sm164)

Can you even do that yet? I presume that whatever announcement may eventually appear will include prices for next year.

I suspect that one reason for the delay is that they don't yet know whether they will have a ground to play at. I see Yorkshire have called an EGM to give them the power to enter into the financing for the ground development. The last view I heard was that they may have to do both stands at the same time, in which case it's hard to see how they could keep the pitch useable.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 11:57 by Albert Fishwick.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 12:39
You're right Albert. No ST info yet due to redevelopment stuff. It's a bit of a logistical nightmare - the Rhinos STs had to be sorted around the proposed changes. I know it's not so bad for us but still a lot of work to do.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 13:05
So our preparations for next season are going really well, erm, unless you think having a team and a place to play might be important.

(Sm161)

John R
John R (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 15:22
I just followed WW's prompt re Titans signings and reading their web site they are building a very promising squad.

Have a look when you have a moment and ponder why this doesn't happen from Headingley.....

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 16:18
Because communication for the union side is poor and quite frankly they do not care about their supporters. Have a way to sort this next season when we know who the sponsors are. The pr people will hate it. If interested message me privately and will explain

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 16:22
Mushroom treatment Almo? Its seasonal at Headingley. Season starts on Jan 1st and continues to 31st December. Has gone on for years now, so nothing new there!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 20:54
Bobba - Be-have!!!!!

graham_t
graham t (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 11:25
Bris fan here - I'm not trying to wind anyone up but I'm very puzzled as to why Yorkshire would have taken promotion given that quite a few players had already signed for other clubs; your coach was leaving and there is uncertainty about ground availability. This would seem to make you even less well prepared than LW. Even if you had someone prepared to throw huge sums of money at the project (I've heard nothing to suggest there is ), I don't think it would have been viable to create a Prem standard team in time for the new season. Did the RFU put pressure or give some kind or incentive to Yorks so that the final would not be a completely pointless fiasco? I admit I don't see how this could have worked. Maybe one day you will return to the Prem and give representation to an area where it is sadly lacking, but I think that even if you were given the resources it would probably take around 3 years to get there. The best of luck to you if you do.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 11:50
If we had not tried to get promoted then every fan would have questioned why we exist as a club.

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 15:08
Quote:
graham t
Bris fan here - I'm not trying to wind anyone up but I'm very puzzled as to why Yorkshire would have taken promotion given that quite a few players had already signed for other clubs; your coach was leaving and there is uncertainty about ground availability. This would seem to make you even less well prepared than LW. Even if you had someone prepared to throw huge sums of money at the project (I've heard nothing to suggest there is ), I don't think it would have been viable to create a Prem standard team in time for the new season. Did the RFU put pressure or give some kind or incentive to Yorks so that the final would not be a completely pointless fiasco? I admit I don't see how this could have worked. Maybe one day you will return to the Prem and give representation to an area where it is sadly lacking, but I think that even if you were given the resources it would probably take around 3 years to get there. The best of luck to you if you do.

Graham, the almostatyke version of our plan was this:
1) take promotion but only strengthen the squad by a mimimal amount, using English-qualified players (let's face it we are going to lose just about every match even if we spent all the money we have available).
2) Bank the money from the Premiership & rfu (circa £3 million?)
3) Take the parachute payment at the end of the season.
This means we are in the Championship again but have a war chest of £several million, and we are not competing against another side with a parachute payment. We invest and build and at this stage try to get a sustainable attack on achieving Premiership status.

I know there are probably a few flaws in this plan, but it demonstrates the futile position that the rfu have left the Championship.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 15:44
Behave Almo! (Sm133)

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 16:27
Well we might well have come scudding straight back down but at least we were prepared to give it a go. I understand the argument that the play-offs kept interest going further into the season but if half the teams who qualify can't or won't put themselves forward for promotion I don't blame TPTB for getting rid of them.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

carlascough
carlascough (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 08:59
Quote:
graham t

I'm very puzzled why this is even a question.

Our fan base is not growing in the championship.

Our ability to attract new (quality) players is not growing in the championship.

We do not make a profit in the championship.

We would not need to invest to satisfy the premiership requirements, ie, we already satisfy them.

To play for just one season in the premiership would give us more exposure and money.

Even if we got relegated straight away, we would then have parachute payments.

I appreciate some people are worried about spending to try and stay in the prem and then being crippled with debt, but that is a completely separate issue. Getting promotion would be a good thing. How we handle life in the premiership is an entirely separate issue. Given what has happened to London Welsh, I can't believe we would be stupid enough to throw money at the problem.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 21:19
I note the offie is doing "on this day" news to fill up the pages but there is no real news on how we go forward, or when season tickets will be on sale.
I understand that there are clearly some difficult issues, but surely some sort of recognition of this plus a future date when they hope to have it sorted would help?
Do they think we are thick?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 22:20
Yes!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 06:21
No news is probably bad news at the moment. (Sm124)

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 10:49
Quote:
almostatyke
I note the offie is doing "on this day" news to fill up the pages but there is no real news on how we go forward, or when season tickets will be on sale.
I understand that there are clearly some difficult issues, but surely some sort of recognition of this plus a future date when they hope to have it sorted would help?
Do they think we are thick?

As mentioned on another thread - lack of ST info has been put on the agenda for the fans forum.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 12:00
Gelbel. At this rate and the way the club treats it's fans there will be less and less and not even enough to go to the fans forum

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 22:03
Ah. The forum. That's the medium used by the club for disinformation. A bit like Pravda in Russia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Yorkshire Carnegie Poll

How will we do this coming season

See results > Submit >>