rugbyunion
Latest News:

Sunday 22 October, KO 15:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish @ Ilkley RUFC

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Andy Saull
JDH (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 23:16
Has announced he is hanging up his boots. All the best to him after a great career.
Never got going at all at Headingley. I expected him to be the one really driving us forward when he signed. Not sure what happened but it didn't work that's for sure. Heart not in it? Hard to explain when he was such a good player.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Andy Saull
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 08:47
But perhaps never quite as good as he thought he was?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

carlascough
carlascough (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 08:34
I'm not sure his career could be described as great.

He's had a great rugby career compared to me, but then I'm@#$%&at rugby. He came through at Saracens and people were touting him for England. Being a average player with potential is probably as good as he ever got. Since then he's been poor IMO. He's certainly offered us very little.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 20:56
Thing is though,

He joins a growing number of players who, even though they are still young enough to play and would no doubt be able to find a club, are deciding that their future lays outside the game.

Saull is 28
Harry Leonard 25
Glyn Hughes, 25
Mo Mustafa, 25
Chris Pilgrim, 30

Just the ones from our club that I can think of. If they were footballers playing in the 2nd tier they'd be on thousands a week and there's no way they'd be leaving.

When will the RFU and Prem Rugby realise that their chronic under funding of Championship rugby is not only forcing clubs to the wall but also limiting the supply of talent coming through; they're essentially biting the hand that feeds.

carlascough
carlascough (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 08:21
Quote:
leemingtyke
Thing is though,
He joins a growing number of players who, even though they are still young enough to play and would no doubt be able to find a club, are deciding that their future lays outside the game.

Saull is 28
Harry Leonard 25
Glyn Hughes, 25
Mo Mustafa, 25
Chris Pilgrim, 30

Just the ones from our club that I can think of. If they were footballers playing in the 2nd tier they'd be on thousands a week and there's no way they'd be leaving.

When will the RFU and Prem Rugby realise that their chronic under funding of Championship rugby is not only forcing clubs to the wall but also limiting the supply of talent coming through; they're essentially biting the hand that feeds.

I completely agree that if the RFU are serious about growing the game, then the championship is grossly underfunded. But I'm not sure how much you can read into the players retiring early.

Someone like Andy Saull for example, came through at Sarries and broke into their first team for a period. He probably had his life mapped out and thought that being a top professional rugby player was the way it was going, and then would have plenty of time to work out his options after. He may have stayed connected to the game or Sarries in particular do a lot of work with individuals to help them set up businesses etc. When he didn't make the grade and eventually dropped down to the championship he's had to re evaluate his plan and he's decided it's not sustainable. In this example, that's harsh on Andy Saull, it's not something he ever thought he'd be dealing with.

I'm not sure you can apply the same thing to Leonard and Hughes. Okay they started out at top academies, but they never really broke into the first team. Did they ever really think they would have a career in Rugby?

When you get to people like Pilgrim and Mustafa, they knew what they were getting into from the off in so much as they started at this level. Mustafa in particular never planned to make a career of the game. If I remember correctly he put his medical studies on hold when he was offered a contract by us and gave it a go. But Rugby was never his first career choice.

My point being, is it really a growing number of players, or are we just taking notice because they are affiliated to our team? I suspect it's the latter.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 11:34
As I said in my initial post, they're just the ones I can think of from our club.

I guess there are plenty more at other Championship clubs.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 19:48
Curtis Wilson becomes the latest player to decide that tier 2 RU isn't a viable career option.

[www.totalrl.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net