rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 2 September, KO 14;00, London Scottish v Yorkshire Carnegie @ Athletic Ground

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Negies on the road again
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:10
The three home B&I games will, once again, not be at home. Instead, we shall have the opportunity to re-visit Ilkley, Hudds YMCA (weather permitting) and Scarborough. The usual subsidised bus will be provided.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Negies on the road again
apb (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:37
Since they've introduced On The Road games, it feels like average attendances have plummeted.

Coincidence?

Waiting for the good times ...

..and waiting ....

... and waiting ...

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 14:12

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 15:30
Well, that puts paid to any lingering thoughts of renewing my season ticket, as I won't be attending any of those games. If any of them were remotely convenient, I might have considered it. Instead, I'll be paying as I go for the first time in years. A cheap bus from Headingley isn't much use to someone who normally travels to games from York. I've watched attendances and atmosphere decline to an embarrassing level over the year's and the club seem determined to kill support off altogether.

I'm also not a fan of watching the game 'end-on', so I'd prefer to see how it goes rather than commit upfront. It's not entirely the club's fault. I understand that we're very much the junior partners at HC and rebuilding is necessary, but it's just another nail in the coffin. Added to that the prospect of a very small squad bolstered by a revolving door of England Academy loanees, and I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't something better I could be doing with my time and money. From reading other comments on this forum I know I'm not alone.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 15:43
I don't like watching games end on either. So playing these games away will probably be better for viewing purposes.

But I agree with the fact the on the road games have not worked one bit and should be scraped once the new ground is complete.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 16:32
If the B&I Cup was a meaningful competition, I would accept the criticisms about the club playing "on the road". However, given the feeble crowd that the B&I is likely to generate, I am pleased these matches are not at Headingley (redevelopment or no redevelopment).
I think it is a "no lose" option to play at clubs around the county, where a B&I match might just rouse some enthusiasm, and where the size of the ground is more proportional to the attendance.

Izzy Eckerslike
Izzy Eckerslike (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 20:08
I could have written that one word-for-word Nos. My thoughts exactly. The end-on idea is possibly the only solution, but it certainly doesn't float my boat. It's only the concession price that will get me to the first couple or so matches to see what I might be missing (most of it at the other end of the field on a foggy day!)but somehow I can't see a good reason to renew my season ticket at the moment. After all the guff that has been thrown at us since Geech came back I think there has been little sign of much progress, with with one or two exceptions such as having lads like Lozzer & Luther around for a while. It's unlikely that any guardian angel is going to pop up up with a few million quid for Christmas this year so I reckon we can look forward to another struggling season. Come on JLo - give us something to REALLY shout about and maybe we'll double the crowd to 2500 this time!

ricardoyorks
ricardoyorks (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 10:12
These games only work really if they are in your area. I've never been to any of the games before but living in Ilkley means I'll go to the London Scottish game. For these games to work it is up to the host clubs to get a crowd in as most Carnegie fans will pass on them. I think Ilkley will get a reasonably decent crowd given the attendances they get on a Saturday.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 13:07
Agreed about Ilkley, as the friendly versus Bath last season was well attended and a good atmosphere.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 19:43
Yep ilkley is just a 9 mile bus ride away. X84 here I come!

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
09 August, 2017 22:09
Unless you're coming from Skipton - it only goes as far as Ilkley on Sundays, I believe!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 07:06
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Unless you're coming from Skipton - it only goes as far as Ilkley on Sundays, I believe!

Yep I spotted that Albert. However I can get a train , change at Shipley , for 5.50 return with my Senior rail card.

(Sm134)

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
10 August, 2017 08:17
Bleddy coffin-dodgers ...

oopnorth
oopnorth (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 08:24
Including a trip to Ilkley or Scarbro might make for a nice weekend down. More so than travelling down to an end on viewing, building site Headingley.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 13:03
No doubt the home-away games will be designed to encourage stay away supporters from the regions to visit the Headingley building site.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 20:36
Nowt wrong with Building Sites - an added attraction and could be more interesting than the rugby IMHO.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 10:10
You could be right Almo! However, as a child, my mother always advised me not to play or mess about on building sites, due to the inherent dangers, and not being in possession of a hard hat. So, I think my watching of rugby will be in safer surroundings this season!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Yorkshire Carnegie Poll

How will we do this coming season

See results > Submit >>