rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 16 December, KO 14:30 Dragons Prem Select v Yorkshire Carnegie @ Ystrad Mynach

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

TykesRugby.co.uk
Headingley observations
TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:57
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Headingley observations
JDH (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:19
Remember and excavator bucket isn't an excepted demo attachment!
Caddick well versed at erecting sheds.
I too didn't like the idea of behind the sticks but I like it tbh. Great view and atmosphere. Had food in the cafe for the first time Saturday and it was spot on!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 19:08
Hey Guys, I churned this report out quickly to answer WW's call for help.
Is it too technical, do you want me to explain in further detail the construction activities?
Or is it too simple?
What is your feeling re. watching from the Carnegie Stand?
Is there value in me putting out stage reports on the construction progress as I see it?

You will note that I don't do rhetorical questions any more - what's the point?

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 20:01
Hi Almo, I found this useful Thank you, and the level of detail about right for me. It's only recently I started to appreciate the complexities around crane lifts, traffic flows, working hours etc

I for one would appreciate the stage updates

John R
John R (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 13:11
Go for it ALMO!

Educate we heathens who really haven't a clue on the complexities of building sheds.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 14:44
Here goes then John: first I would like to point out that a stadium stand is a much more complex structure than a "shed", and is built in a confined environment around residents and the general public, whereas a typical shed is in a big open space.
In order to provide a view not obstructed by pillars a cantilevered roof is required. This means a structure like the new South Stand wants to topple-over onto the pitch and has to have anchored foundations at the rear to prevent this. This means that the rear foundations will be designed to resist lifting out of the ground rather than supporting downward forces as with traditional foundations. Cleverly, the back-to-back North Stand/Cricket Stand will have two roofs that balance each other out to provide natural stability, so anchored foundations will not be required.

Anyone still awake........

scottish tyke
scottish tyke (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 16:35
Despite my misgivings I thought having us all 'squeezed' into one stand actually improved the atmosphere. The view from the top was not bad either, although I might bring the binos for seeing the far end next time.

yeldor
yeldor (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 16:41
Quote:
almostatyke
Here goes then John: first I would like to point out that a stadium stand is a much more complex structure than a "shed", and is built in a confined environment around residents and the general public, whereas a typical shed is in a big open space.
In order to provide a view not obstructed by pillars a cantilevered roof is required. This means a structure like the new South Stand wants to topple-over onto the pitch and has to have anchored foundations at the rear to prevent this. This means that the rear foundations will be designed to resist lifting out of the ground rather than supporting downward forces as with traditional foundations. Cleverly, the back-to-back North Stand/Cricket Stand will have two roofs that balance each other out to provide natural stability, so anchored foundations will not be required.

Anyone still awake........

No mention of purple pipes . Zzzzzzzzzzz

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 16:50
Quote:
yeldor

No mention of purple pipes . Zzzzzzzzzzz

Damn. Have you had a sneak preview of my next installment????

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 04:21
Keep going Almo. I find this stuff genuinely interesting.

If the finished stadium looks anything like the impressions we've seen on the internet it will be an awesome place by the time they've finished.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 14:20
We take cantilevering for granted these days but it really gives you a great view of the whole pitch.

(Sm134)

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 12:06
I'm looking forward to the "life and times of a builders shovel" by A. Spade

Tyko
Tyko (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 20:22
Quote:
Bobba
I'm looking forward to the "life and times of a builders shovel" by A. Spade

Shovel? We call A Spade A Spade in Yorkshire.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 07:47
I have been curious about the proposed temporary stand on the north side, intended to provide seating capacity during the next rugby league season. A planning application has now been submitted here . No doubt this will make sense to Almo, I can only get a rough idea. I am still curious as to how they will work on the new shared stand while this temporary seating is in place. I wouldn't have thought they could freeze operations until October next year and still have it ready for the 2019 cricket season.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 17:39
Thanks Albert, these documents are giving me a better understanding of the project.
Yeldor can now look away now (unless needing a cure for insomnia).

The temporary stand will hold 2499 people and is only 7.5 metres high. The underside of the new stand roof on the rugby side is about 20 metres above the pitch, hence there is plenty of room to fit it under the new roof. The temp stand will be in place Feb 18 to Oct 18 (i.e. the 2018 RL Season)and the during this period the new stand roof will be built over it. The temp stand will be rapidly dismantled and then there will be the RL close season (Nov 18 to Jan 19) to build the permanent seating and underlying rooms to complete the permanent stand.

No doubt the completion of the stand will not be as straight-forward as it may at first appear, but as the roof will already be in place at least the final activity should not be affected by the winter weather.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The temporary rugby stand should have no or negligible effect on the cricket side of the stand

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 17:59 by almostatyke.

yeldor
yeldor (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 18:23
Zzzzzzzzzzz

sent off carried off never backed off

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 18:34
Quote:
almostatyke

EDIT: The temporary rugby stand should have no or negligible effect on the cricket side of the stand
Almo, why will it not affect the cricket side of the ground? I thought the entire stand was coming down.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 21:24
The temporary stand is not very big, it is situated between the rugby pitch and the back wall of the rugby stand.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 10:32
What is the likely additional cost in providing the "minimal" temporary accommodation. Also, would it not divert the attention of the contactors building the main stand from their purpose of constructing the main stand, resulting in a slower build! Similarly the additional cost could perhaps be used by Rhinos in negotiating temporary usage of other grounds in the area, say, Elland Road or Odsal...?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 10:49
Oh, and by the way. I noticed the other day GH announcing the formation of a Womens Rhinos RL team, and, you guessed it, they will be playing at......South Leeds Stadium

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 12:37
Very practical from GH. After all, there can be nothing more soul-destroying than a team pulling in considerably less support than the Rhinos rattling around in an empty stadium.....

Miserati - and Proud to be!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 13:58
Ooops, my mistake. I'm sure GH mentioned the South Leeds Stadium but apparently the Ladies will play at the University of Leeds Sports Park at Wheetwood.

I'm not often right but I'm wrong again!:~(

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:54
Bobba you are right that the cost/disruption of the temporary stand, plus allowing Rhinos supporters to stand in the partially-constructed South Stand will be significant.
However, Rhinos need to respect the loyalty of their fans - especially season ticket holders, so it is important to keep as many coming to Headingley as practical, at whatever cost.

No point pi$$ing off the Rhinos fans whilst building two shiny new stands then finding them half empty when they open.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:59
The south stand demolition looks complete. I wonder why they have not started construction yet?

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

yeldor
yeldor (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 12:55
Quote:
Wildwillie
The south stand demolition looks complete. I wonder why they have not started construction yet?

If only we had a construction correspondent!

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 13:03
Quote:
yeldor
Quote:
Wildwillie

If only we had a construction correspondent!

We've got two! (at least) (Sm164)

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 13:25
Report based on yesterday's visit to follow; by special request it will feature a section on the importance of using the correctly coloured ducts for underground services.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 11:32
In contrast to the actual match, I was disappointed at what I saw at the side of the pitch on Sunday. The south stand area looked far too tidy for me, looking like construction is proceeding at a steady pace and not at the sort of speed I was used to when we built 60,000 sq ft supermarkets in 18 weeks. There are a couple of small brick buildings remaining from the demolition. I suspect that they are electricity substation/gas meter houses and it could be that Caddick are awaiting the service utilities (who work at their own pace, however urgent the need) before moving forward.
Nevertheless the North stand demolition had started, which is good news as it means the asbestos is out and the services isolated so hopefully it is on track for completion by Christmas, meaning the new construction starts in the New Year.

I note that part of the ground floor of the Carnegie Stand has been converted into changing rooms.

Special supplement, requested by Yeldor:

Flexible Ducting is generally available in 3 popular colours Black (for electrical services), Blue (for water pipes) and Yellow (for gas pipe). Also used are Green (telecoms, cable and CCTV), Purple (Motorway cabling) and Orange (street lighting).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2017 11:36 by almostatyke.

Tyko
Tyko (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 23:57
I saw the players using rooms on the ground floor of Carnegie stand at half time. Even shared the toilets with some of them.

But after the match both teams were seen going to change somewhere in the new cricket stand. I was told that they only used Carnegie stand at half time as cricket stand too far to go at half time.

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 06:21
Teams are changing in the carbuncle changing rooms and then use the 2 end rooms by the toilets for pre-game and halftime.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 17:55
The lack of activity in the south stand site smacks of a snag delaying construction. This is re-inforced by the fact that the Rhino's first game is to be played away from LS6 suggesting that all is not going to plan.

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 12:30
What first game? Boxing Day? Was always going to be away with the works going on.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 21:17
Rhinos first game is now scheduled for 2nd March, one month into the RL season.
I went past the ground today and I am happy to report that there was a lot more activity on the South Stand area and the demolition of the combined rugby/cricket stand has really come on well.

Good to see Paul Caddick is reading my reports.

yeldor
yeldor (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 22:03
There is a web cam feed on YouTube. Ducting progress very slow .

sent off carried off never backed off

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 22:26
They should have got someone good to build it.....

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 10:15
Noticed bucket loads of concrete being poured into holes at the South Stand end. No doubt the foundations for the steelwork which will eventually support the 7500 Carnegie fans that will flock to the stadium once it has been redeveloped.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 19:41

MESSAGES->author
17 November, 2017 07:07
Caddick Construction's Twitter feed yesterday showed steels now going up.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 12:36
I was at Headingley this morning and, yes, the twitter feed has not been "photoshopped". Not only has the South Stand steel erection started but the first load of precast concrete (fits between the steel beams) has also arrived.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 13:14
Almo. You seem to be spending a lot of time at Headingley. Are you telling us porkies by saying that you are retired, when in fact you are employed by those at LS6 as a consultant and / or their PR representative?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 13:24
Nothing gets past you, eh, Bobba?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 15:33
See offie:

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

It will be late Feb/Early March before structural steelwork is erected for the North Stand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2017 17:48 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
03 December, 2017 15:13
Ventured on to the top deck for the first time today. Once-in-a-lifetime views across to the cricket field and the chimneypots beyond. Had also never appreciated the magnitude of the difference in levels between the two pitches before.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 10:45
I was interested to see how much steel had been erected for the southstand. It was also apparent that most of the footing are now laid so expect the southstand to take shape very quickly now.

(Sm134)

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 18:33
I thought they would have had a bit more up but I am sure they have there reasons.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 19:49
Hey Guys, I am on the case, but very little of interest to report at the moment. The key progress event on steelwork structures is getting that first piece of steel erected. In the past I have had to use high strength concrete for the bases of the first few columns to ensure the holding-down bolts can do their job: after that the foundations progress faster than the steel can be erected.
Steel erection progress is difficult to measure: it seems to go up really fast but if there are any mistakes, they take ages to sort out. The stands are being built from galvanised steel. Great in that you get 20 years before it needs any painting but it has an extended delivery time and any alterations are tricky - welding to galvanised steel is a health hazard.
However, the good news is that I have not seen any evidence to suggest any problems.
As the works were not competitively tendered I think the programme is realistic and not as challenging as the ones I had to work to (hence the grey hair!).

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:59
Some more general observations:
The site ground conditions are pretty much ideal for this type of development, no mining or contamination issues and stiff clay or rock within one to 2.5 metres of the surface. There is little or no groundwater so foundations are as simple as possible: dig a hole and pour concrete into it.
However, there is a 381mm diameter (15")combined sewer running across both the stands and the pitch at about where the 22m line is in the western half. This will need diverting to meet Yorkshire Water's requirements. As steel is being erected at the South Stand, presumably the relevant diversion has been carried out, however the north stand diversionary works are ongoing and are programmed to continue into mid-Feb.
Interestingly, there is a 1.8 metre difference in level between the cricket and rugby pitch levels - this could be seen at the home match against Roth.
Steel progress on the South Stand seems to be going well, but note that the next section will be more complicated as it incorporates the lift shafts for access to the higher level seating. The current cold but still weather should not delay progress, strong winds are the main enemy as all crane lifting has to be suspended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net