rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 28 April, KO 15:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish @ Emerald Headingley

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Ringers
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:09
When I was 17, too old for the U16 league I joined the “Pen and Wig” pub football team in my hometown of Nuneaton. We struggled to put together a team many weeks and frequently resorted to “ringers”, i.e. friends with boots who fancied a game but were not actually signed-on to our team. We didn’t win anything but at least we got a full team out.
Today I witnessed an example of a similar but fully legal practice – and this time it was 4th tier rugby not pub football.
Once a year I have the pleasure of visiting Wharfedale as a guest of their Fixture Secretary. It was a Nation league Division Two North fixture against Blaydon, and both teams being in the bottom three of the division after 6 games, likely to be a bit of a relegation scrap. But surprisingly it wasn’t.
The Blaydon fly-half totally controlled the match, kicking into corners, scoring penalties at will, kicking conversions from the touch line and even a sublime 40m+ drop goal.
So how come we have 29 players on the pitch and one head-and-shoulders above all others? As anyone who has heard the words of the Blaydon Races , I knew the away team are based in the NE and immediately suspected (and made comment to my fellow spectators) that this was a guy on double-registration from the Artic Budgies. In fact I said that if he wasn’t, then I would personally phone up J-Lo to get him to sign the player up for us.
Blaydon were 24 – 0 up at half time and final score was 27 – 19 as a second-half ‘Dale comeback eventually faltered.
Back home some quick research revealed that the player was Joel Matovasi, indeed a Falcons player and who’s older brother is both a Falcons player and Fijian International.
So is this an excellent exercise in promoting a junior Falcons player to the superstar player I think he will become? Possibly. But what about Wharfedale supporters who want to see their team climb the table – losing at home to one of the only two teams below them is demoralising and the points “lost” today could be vital come the end of the season.
Surely a player of this class should be playing at no lower than the Championship?
IMHO the dual-registration system works brilliantly for the club making the “free” loan, but it can really screw up the competition that the player plays in.
I know this is a complex issue, but surely the rfu can rise above “ringers” and the practice well established in the North Warwickshire Football Division 4.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Ringers
JDH (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 23:52
That's does seem unfair on wharfedale. Is he as big as his brother? Cos he is a big lad.
Ringers happen in all leagues though. When a team in the Yorkshire leagues get some cash they rocket through the leagues. Cas did it a few years back. Then the money ran out and they rocket back down.
He wants to be playing for us anyway not bloody Blaydon. Better for him and us!

MESSAGES->author
corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 08:00
When you get this sort of thing its best to enjoy seeing a bit of quality above the norm yhou have paid to see. I followed Jersey up to Tynedale about 5 or 6 years ago and although the game was very one sided and Jersey eventually won by 60 odd points to nil I remember the outstanding player on the pitch actually played for Tynedale -a very young Joel Hodgson who is now playing brilliantly in the premiership. Where do you get the best Fish & Chips in Scarborough in January?

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2017 08:02 by corporalcarrot.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:36
"Carnegie" have loaned a few players out to lower sides in their time, Almo. Probably not as talented.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 10:37
Quote:
corporalcarrot
Where do you get the best Fish & Chips in Scarborough in January?

Whitby :-)

MESSAGES->author
15 October, 2017 11:27
I know mate I went to Whitby nearly every year on WMC trips as a lad but the match in January is in Scarborough and I'll be hungry by the time I get there.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 12:10
I go to this one when in Scarborough - food is usually pretty good.
[url=http://[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]]Molly's[/url]

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
16 October, 2017 08:10
Thanks Mark I'll give that one a try. Pity your lads didn't choose the league fixture in April for the away day as the weather might be a bit more favourable a few months later in the year. Jersey had a B&I match in Wales postponed a few years ago due to snow and I expect they get a few drops of the white stuff in Scarborough at that time of year. I doubt whether there will be many travelling up from St Ouen's for this one but it may be the same for home fans anyway.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:52
CC, don't worry about the white stuff, in Yorkshire we just switch to an orange ball and play on.

MESSAGES->author
16 October, 2017 17:30
Cheers Almo it never puts me off but match officials seem to look for reasons to cry off. I personally find that strapping a small bell to the orange ball also helps if you get a decent load of the white stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net