rugbyunion
Latest News:

F Saturday 25 November, KO 15:00, Jersey Reds v Yorkshire Carnegie @ St Peter's

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
WTF is going on?
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 16:25
Max Wright and Max green sign for Bath.

Selling the family silver. What is going on. 2 bright young stars, plus there is Jordan Poole languishing at Mowden Park this year, probably the best hooker we have, never been given a chance. Sorry, but I give up.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 19:06 by Wildwillie .

MESSAGES->author
Re: WTF is going on
JDH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 17:28
Both looking to move at end of this season. If green thinks he will get game time how comes homer moved here to play? Homer imo is streets ahead of green.

Wright cannot get a game kept out by Forsyth...... ?!

I didn't know about Poole and this is a real disappointment as I thought he is class.

Shows we are a zillion miles away from where we want and the board think we should be.

So we have made a thin squad thinner. We have no fit 10 at the club. We have 2 9s one of which has now gone to get game time at a club the other 9 has come from in order to get game time!..

Horse $hit.

MESSAGES->author
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 17:51
I can understand letting Mayhew go to Quins - purely on economic ground but releasing 2 young & up-and-coming backs beggars belief. As JDH rightly points out about Homer being here to get game time.

Sound like SNAFU at the emerald stadium.

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 18:59 by Wildwillie .

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 18:29
This season I did not buy a Season Ticket as I was unhappy with the info the club was giving us, and the loss of quality players that were not being replaced. I was happy to spend 17 on selected games and probably would have spent more than the 140 season ticket price come the end of the season if I enjoyed the games.
I had worked out myself that we had financial issues and a first past the post promotion means that 11 Championship clubs play to avoid relegation, as the relegated Premiership club with massive parachute payment can win with ease.

Then we started the season with a wafer-thin squad. The board have a belated fans meeting to explain what we have probably already worked out.

But the news since Sunday is almost unbelievable.

Anyone who bought a season ticket should be entitled to a refund IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 18:33
Have sold them rather than them going for free if they were contracted?
Lots more good lads will leave before we do anything.

MESSAGES->author
Re: WTF is going on?
SideStep (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:25
Joke of an outfit. Same old same old. Lost the interest to care anymore.

The first Leeds Tykes child mascot...#leedswasps0203season. #cheersbentos

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:44
We are spending lots on our Academy - new appointment this week for East Yorkshire - but if the players we develop move on like the two Max's have done today, what's the point?

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:51
Despite all the hot air that comes out of fans meetings and forums, there is no evidence whatsoever that the club are merely using this season to build for the future with investment just around the corner. Not hard to imagine all is not well behind the scenes, and in my opinion, we are going downhill rapidly. Negative, or realistic?

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:52
It's what will happen until or if we ever get someone in who can fund a prem team. Then they need to put the people in place to drive the club. It's probably the 16yr olds or younger who we will hopefully keep.

Bainbridge will go after this season too.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:28
ow can we wish Jack Walker all the best when he leaves but berate the club for letting the two Max's go in similar circumstances?

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:37
Is what is happening this season in terms of our best players and/or our best young talent leaving much different from what has happened in the past? It's not ideal but it is what it is unfortunately for the time being. What I witnessed last Sunday however was a team that played with pride and determination and at times a lot of skill that I thought was a credit to the club and to the coach who I think is an honest character who can bind the players together. This spirit is what we need to maintain the same level of performance in what some might describe as times of adversity. If we can help them to do this by staying relatively positive and continuing to support them then all the better.

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:38
Nobody has said they do not wish them well, but in my opinion the circumstances are very different.Jack Walker turned down a move to stay another season at Headingley, then left to further his career. The 2 Max's situation, in my opinion has been driven by the club as much as the players, did they make any effort to make them stay. We are only a few games into the season, yet both had already stated they would not stay beyond the end of the season. They obviously don't feel there is a future at Headingley. I wonder what they know, that we don't.

COME ON LEEDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 21:04 by Haxbytyke.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 21:02
Agree with scuffer. Same as the past few years. I think the club knew last season the 2 Maxs would be leaving.

Hax - Wright cannot even get in the match squad!

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 21:05
Maybe he can't, but he is an under 20's international, and maybe he should. He signed a new contract at the end of last season.

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 21:10
As I said on another post I believe the club has found it's level. Without doubt the academy has punched way above it's weight, you only need to look at how many former Leeds/Yorkshire players are playing for Premiership clubs. Any good northern youngster going through the academy's ranks will know that they will get certain game time and and a great opportunity to move on to greater things.

But that's it.

So why not develop the club openly along those lines? (And perhaps realise that being so second-fiddle to the Rhinos will alienate a good proportion of "Yorkshire" support)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 21:12
Signed knowing it was his last year here which is fine. May be he should be playing but the coaches don't think so.

All the best to them both.

MESSAGES->author
apb (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 22:00
Earlier on Twitter I suggested that the club could fold in 2-3 years. What was telling I think was that Gareth Jones - arguably someone who has done more to market the club over the years than anyone actually paid by them - suggested he'd be surprised if it lasts longer than the end of 2018.

Think these are the end times ...

Waiting for the good times ...

..and waiting ....

... and waiting ...

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 22:06
Quote:
JDH
Signed knowing it was his last year here which is fine. May be he should be playing but the coaches don't think so.
All the best to them both.

I agree, the coaches pick the team, but I have to ask, if some of our younger players, Max, Ross Graham, and Jordan Poole etc., are deliberately being frozen out so they leave,?

COME ON LEEDS.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 22:07
Whether you call it Dual Registration, Buddy Club or whatever; the advantages are vastly weighted in favour of the bigger club.

Their fringe players get Championship game time at expense of ours and they get to cherry pick the best/most promising from us.

That was my point of view when we tried it with Sale and it remains my point of view now.

MESSAGES->author
Rocky (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 07:17
I think Max Wright has been down there for a month or two now. I heard murmurs but the fact Green has gone too has shown our most high profile u20’s have left doesn’t underline our ‘Yorkshire Talent’ argument.

Sadly we are reaping what has been sown (or not down) for the last 5-10 years. Back in the Tykes days the management and directors has an approach where they were across all aspects and the atmosphere was tight and positivity for the playing staff and in turn the supporters. The ‘we’re all in this together’ meant that up and down both on field, off field and on terrace were one but this has been chipped away with name changes, change in focus and a movement away from a club to a pretty poorly run business.

There has been a plethora of platitudes and hollow words over the past few years and, as much as I appreciate the efforts of Dockray etc for investing the money they have, the fruits of this are not seen. We’re a formerly pro rugby club trying to operate on a small budget without the adaptability to be flexible because of an unwieldy team of senior people in decision making process who are either past it or focussed on how this club can advance the other club at the stadium.

I want Leeds/Yorkshire to succeed however the only way it is sustainable would be for someone to eat a lot of debt for a few years to buy success, draw crowds and then aim for sustainability. That was possible years ago with a £3-4m salary cap however the advances in expenditure in the prem means it’s not possible for a team to do what we’d done before (Heineken cup, Powergen win) and what Exeter have done again. We had an opportunity then to kick on and the investment we had was wasted on desperate signings which undercut the ethos and have ultimately led us to this position of not being good enough or cash rich enough for the prem and not being sustainable in the championship.

Looking at it purely as a business case,I cannot see there being one.

Sorry to be pessimistic however when we’re releasing players like our most experienced club man, releasing a whole host of others to build this ‘yorkshire’ club and then release two of the names we should be building teams around you can understand the dispirited fan base. We need to be honest, as we stand we are not nor will we be a premiership club. With that on the table are we sustainable in the championship, as things stand we aren’t, does that mean we go semi pro? Hoping for handouts to see out the season isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of our clubs long term future.

Edit - just a comment to say my frustration is not with the current playing staff or coaching. It’s the leadership above that is lacking and has led us down this road. The likes of Jimmy and the lads playing will continue to give their all and I’ll support them for this however they are currently the crew on a rudderless vessel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 07:21 by Rocky.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 08:27
Great post Rocky.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 09:40
sums it up nicely rocky.

the Yorkshire experiment will only work with cash and us being in the prem long term with a strong and experienced figure head running the club. Until then our better younger players will more often than not move on.

Also agree with leeming about the 1 sided nature of these buddy agreements. They help keep the championship side firmly where they are.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 11:05
Looking at comments on other forums issues lie far deeper than those at YC. Until the RFU/PRL make the Championship a meaningful, properly funded competition professional rugby will die in it's current form.

Pro 16 with 4 English sides?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 11:28
Quote:
JDH
They help keep the championship side firmly where they are.

Superbly summarised JDH. That's exactly what they do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net