rugbyunion
Latest News:
Friday 19 October, KO 20:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
The long goodbye.......
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 21:16
It is an understatement to say that the message board is not what it was. If you want to keep it alive please post. If not it will close.
If anyone has alternative boards that work better or think that facebook or Twitter are the answer, again please post.

She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow

Mongo
Re: The long goodbye.......
Mongo (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:19
Merry Christmas Tykes Lardies, Iím a mute member of the Bangkok branch

I do regularly visit, but I donít get the chance to watch often.

Mongo
Mongo (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:20
It was a year since my last post

Dr Jabber2
Dr Jabber2 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:41
I have not posted for many a long day. However still remain a avid follower of the club. It would be real loss to see the site fail.

Nice to see Mark C is still around and posting. I can't drive at the moment due to medical condition.

However the eldest brought myself and 5he youngest Grandson to the Bedford game. Having my son take picture of myself Freddie with Terry the Tyke was a special moment of 2017.

Look After One and All

Dr J

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:21
Ok, having been a reader rather than a contributor I felt I should sign up. Mainly because I had decided to watch the match on sky tonight due to the onset of man flu (possibly karma for dragging my 82 year old dad along to Headingley to watch the Nottingham match). Well they seem to have forgotten to put some money in the meter or something, because they are showing some programme about Liverpool football instead. Nice to know they value the Championship so much.

Anyway, as I have been enlightened, informed and sometimes amused by the posts on this site I thought I had better sign myself up and contribute at some stage as I, for one, think it would be a shame if it died out.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:25
Good post Grybz

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 07:51
Bring back Freddy!

Or maybe not.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
merry (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 10:17
Meh..

Nosnibor
Nosnibor (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:30
I, for one, really value the contributions on this board and read it regularly. Sad to see activity dwindling in line with the Headingley crowds and the team's prospects of Prem rugby.

New Year's resolution to chip in a bit more.

North needs success
30 December, 2017 13:01
Not posted for a while because I feel as though I have become a bit cynical about our future prospects and didn't wan to portray negative vibes. However, I still read posts on a regular basis.

So, while I'm on......

Contrary to comments on other threads I believe the centres, Casson and Forsyth, are excellent players. It is up to the coach to get the best out of them. As I have said before Davies is easily our best and most influential player and he has been sorely missed recently. For me last night he was brilliant and was my man of the match.

I have never made a secret of the fact that I am not a Jimmy fan as head coach, but last night some of the attacking play, particularly down our right side in the second half, was sublime.I particularly like Watkins on the right wing.

It was a thoroughly deserved win in my view.

HNY to all

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 14:05
I will continue to post from here in Turkey. We are 3 hours ahead of uk

midland tyke
midland tyke (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:17
I can't get to many games being a non driver based in the Midlands, where I watch Moseley; but I was born and brought up in Headingley and YC will always be my first team. I regularly read the posts on this site and it's a lifeline giving me a feel of the mood, players, concerns, expectations etc. Long may it continue. I'll try post regularly on the more general matters. Shame about the Sky coverage, I was looking forward to seeing the lads play.

Also, as an aside, I don't understand people who only seem to want to support a club when it's winning. A team needs its supporters even more when times are tough. Watching Moseley slip out of the Championship 18 months ago and now playing the likes of Old Albanians may not be what I or the club wanted, but the games are still great to watch and the atmosphere is superb, even if there are only 800 of us.The joy will be all the greater if and when Mose re-emerge as a championship Team (but not this year - Coventry are head and shoulders the best side this year).

Keep the faith!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:22
Good post MT!

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:35
Happy New Year to all surviving message board users!

I read more than i contribute these days (reasons well documented I think) but wouldnt want the board to close.

oopnorth
oopnorth (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:08
I check the board daily but have not been posting. Will try harder.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:14
Whilst I no longer turn up at Headingley on a regular basis it would be sad if this forum had to close down. It has over the last few months been kept alive primarily by WW who has done a sterling job as Moderator. I can fully understand his frustration in the lack of posts being made on a sufficiently regular basis to keep this site alive. The adage of "use it, or lose it" comes to mind.

Over the years we have lost the Supporters Association and the Supporters Club. It would be a crying shame if this went the same way. I understand that the hits on the site are still healthy, but it is the stories and posts that make the difference.

Remember that not everyone will agree with everything said here. This is a discussion forum, so, if you disagree with something said, express your view here. As I understand it also, the Club reads the message board and it is, perhaps the only way, that the supporters can get their point of view over to the Club.

Remember also, that the Club has been slow in providing information to its supporters and it is only because supporters extensive research and posts, that these message boards have kept supporters informed.

USE IT OR LOSE IT!!!

JSNottEfcCov
JSNottEfcCov (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 21:29
second time poster, long time forum reader here exiled in the States. would love this forum to stay around and it would be great if we can get activity increased again.

we seldom receive comms from the club so a forum like this is crucial

will endeavour to post more

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 21:56
Hi JSNottEfcCov and welcome as a message board poster.

But you will have to explain your name - it doesn't exactly slip off the tongue (or keyboard)?

MESSAGES->author
Rocky (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 11:07
I've been falling out with the club over the past few years, the new dawn heralded by the new investment hasn't delivered in the way we hoped. I lurk more on this board than i used to as I am conscious that my recent posts have been longer and critical and are not necessarily what some on the board want (as it is a bit of a downer).

I still follow the club, still keep an eye on twitter and the games and am hoping for something positive to come out of the club to reinvigorate Leeds/Yorkshire rugby. Some of the stories I have heard about whats happening within the club leads me to despair and i really think to move forward we need to shed some of the old school 'members' in senior positions off field and replace them with new thinkers. Some of these old school people are trapped in the 80's/90's and not considering rugby as the business it is now in 2018.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 11:45
Quote:
Rocky
I've been falling out with the club over the past few years, the new dawn heralded by the new investment hasn't delivered in the way we hoped. I lurk more on this board than i used to as I am conscious that my recent posts have been longer and critical and are not necessarily what some on the board want (as it is a bit of a downer).

It could've been me writing that.

After not posting for a while im now making a conscious effort to post where i can to play my part in keeping the board running.

However, i believe the club is dying and only a major financial backer can save it. Unfortunately, having sold everthing to Leeds Rugby, i dont think the club is investable.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:32
The previous two postings match many of my sentiments. I can't see any major investment coming in whilst the club is in it's 'neither fish nor fowl' position. IMHO it needs to come back under the Leeds Rugby umbrella or totally divorce itself from Headingley and rebuild it's own unique brand and grow as shown by Richmond. It's sad to see no YC players in the England u20s this year, either.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 14:13
Quote:
Rocky
Some of the stories I have heard about whats happening within the club leads me to despair and i really think to move forward we need to shed some of the old school 'members' in senior positions off field and replace them with new thinkers. Some of these old school people are trapped in the 80's/90's and not considering rugby as the business it is now in 2018.

Rocky, who do you have in mind here? Apart from Mike Bidgood, who is employed as finance manager but also does a sterling job in completing all the RFU formalities on matchday (he has only missed a handful of games in the professional era) I'm not aware of anyone from the Headingley/Roundhay days who has any position of influence, whether paid or honorary. I think Dick Aspey may still occasionally do hosting duties when no-one else is available but that's about it, and in fact that seems to be one part of owning a rugby club (and especially being on the receiving end at away games) which Dave D and his mates enjoy getting stuck in to.

The infrastructure on the union side is very thin, which is presumably why we remain tied to Headingley and the Rhinos, despite the cost, as it fills gaps in back office, gym etc. For me it's not a question of outlook but pure money - unless we can appoint a proper DoR and coaches with a record of success at the top of the union game and back them up with a high quality squad nothing will change, and I can't see that happening. If it did, we could do just as well at Headingley as anywhere else.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 19:44
Could start with our Chief Executive who coincidentally occupies the same position at Rhinos. Whose interest does he really have at heart. I wonder.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 20:47
Quote:
Bobba
Could start with our Chief Executive who coincidentally occupies the same position at Rhinos. Whose interest does he really have at heart. I wonder.
Bobba, for once I agree with you, certainly in terms of the final sentence. However, if there is one person who has made more success than any other at professional rugby (any code) then Gary Hetherington is probably the man to beat.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 12:47
GH's record will be judged in the fullness of time. Good or bad does not matter. What matters is the future, and in my view, he can not equally wear two hats at the same time.

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:55
Agree with bobba about gh, unfortunately as others have said unless somebody new with real money turns up can't see us growing as a club. Find it hard to agree that gh has been successful in ru.

MESSAGES->author
Rocky (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 09:31
Albert, I was hoping to avoid names directly on this as I don't feel it fair to criticise openly. There are several people who are could do with moving on, Bidgood wasn't one of the names that I was referring to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net