rugbyunion
Latest News:

Sunday 25 February, KO 14:30 Cornish Pirates v Yorkshire Carnegie @ The Mennaye

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Why have a TMO
Madtyke (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:15
I thought having watched the AP televised games that the TMO would intercede to the ref when evidence of foul/dangerous play went unnoticed.
During the Donny game the TMO wouldn't make a decision over the Red card incident and then in the 2nd half there was a Donny maul in progress and a Donny play lifted a Carnegie player past the horizontal (vertical in fact) which even the Donny supporters thought was a pen and yet the TMO didn't get involved with. Makes a mockery of having him there IMHO

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Why have a TMO
almostatyke (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:50
I think the difficulty is that there is no big screen at Castle Park and so the ref is "blind" on replays.
Perhaps a more significant point is that Championship games are played only rarely with TMOs, and clearly the rules are administered in a slightly different way. Teams that play more of their games with a TMO (Bristol?) are more likely to get players carded and also banned IMHO.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:09
I thought the verbal exchanges between the ref and TMO for the red card incident were embarrassing.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:27
I think the awkward conversation was largely because of the absence of a big screen. I can understand that a TMO official doesn't want to be accused of acting as the ref with a decision potentially changing the whole game.
But what do I know?

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:05
Quote:
almostatyke
I think the awkward conversation was largely because of the absence of a big screen. I can understand that a TMO official doesn't want to be accused of acting as the ref with a decision potentially changing the whole game.
But what do I know?

Just watching now and I think you're right Almo. The ref only saw it live - the TMO had the benefit of the replay, no-one else in the ground did

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:39
I think the use of TMO's is being over used. I'm all for it for deciding if a try has been scored if the ref is unsighted or it there is serious foul play. But to go to the TMO for possible forward passes and minor altercations or offences, slows the game down. The ref has two assistants to help in decision making, so let them ref the game. If they are not fit enough to stay with the pace of the game, then they should not be on the pitch.

John R
John R (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 09:19
Bobba,

You just dismissed the majority of the "assistant referee's" who wouldn't meet your criteria!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:58
Good point John J.

On reflection, most assistant referees are also referees in their own right. That would leave perhaps a dozen or so that are capable of fulfilling the role.

Could it be time for the RFU to give the assistant's flags to the crowd? After all, on the terraces we all see a darn sight more than the three officials on the pitch!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net