rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 18 August, KO 15:00, Darlington Mowden Park v Yorkshire Carnegie, Northern Echo Arena

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
OT What do you eat for New Year?
almostatyke (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 20:36
As a child growing up in Warwickshire I remember that New Year was not celebrated much, if at all. After all my Dad would have to be back at work at 7-30 on 1st Jan. Then we had a Bank Holiday for 1st Jan (2 days for the Scots) and then New Year was a good chance to have a few pints in the pub, helped by the fact that the normal 10-30 closure time was extended to midnight.
But eating? Nothing special, just the normal fare. Nowadays I think things have changed, though in my personal circumstances of having a French wife probably more for me. In France it is the fete of St Silvestre and all sorts of goodies are on offer. Tonight Mrs Almo presented smoked salmon, (vegetarians look away now), foie gras and prawns.
Just wondered what the rugby-appreciating community were going for on new Years Eve these days?

(Sm153)

MESSAGES->author
Re: OT What do you eat for New Year?
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 23:39
Sunday lunch at lunchtime, still working through Christmas leftovers for tea.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 08:40
Chilli con carne, rice and potato wedges. Today we will be consuming coq au vin courtesy of Raymond Blanc recipe.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:44
Quote:
TykeGeorge
Chilli con carne, rice and potato wedges. Today we will be consuming coq au vin courtesy of Raymond Blanc recipe.

As long as it's not Rat au Van, to Baldricks recipe :-)

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:49
Defo chicken, even without white lines which we are supposed to look out for now. The 2.2 million chickens comnsumed each day are getting fat apparently!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:19
Whats this about white lines?

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:28
They are strands of fat - to meet demand they are being fattened up quickly producing this effect!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:58
My mum and dad's anniversary was 31 December so we always celebrated - turkey soup (the last remnants of the bird) made by dad, a few hours at the police station club and a late Chinese meal.

Last night it was blue rib eye for me with Dauphinoise potatoes with a twist (a Bernaise creamy sauce), home made onion rings, roasted tomatoes and portobello mushrooms. Mr Gel had medium-rare filet and moaned it was tasteless - well he was warned - fat = flavour.

Washed down by a very nice Rioja.

Lemon and lime posset with clementine langue du chat biscuits for pud.

All made by my very fair hands.

My mouth is like the inside of a badger's bum this am - pesky onion rings, should've soaked them more.

oopnorth
oopnorth (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:01
Happy New Year. In Scotland New Years Day is the time for a good butchers steak pie. This year's Scottish steak pie champions are based in Leith, James Andersons.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:22
I went to a pie night on 31.12.

Fish pie with shredded parsnip topping is the one I can remember. (Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 18:06
Quote:
Wildwillie
I went to a pie night on 31.12.
Fish pie with shredded parsnip topping is the one I can remember. (Sm134)

So does that answer the question chanted at many football grounds, I wonder?

(Sm100)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:30
Turkey and Christmas pud! Lovely! Worked off the following day in the wet, wet hills of North Yorkshire!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net