rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 18 August, KO 15:00, Darlington Mowden Park v Yorkshire Carnegie, Northern Echo Arena

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

TykesRugby.co.uk
Preview - Week Off
TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 21:24
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 12:46 by Wildwillie .

MESSAGES->author
Re: Preview - Week Off
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 08:46
An FA Cup style competition to replace the B&I would create genuine interest amongst supporters i think.

And if they made it so the gate receipts and TV income were split 50/50, a good draw could be a financial lifeline for Championship clubs.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 09:03
I think you are right Leeming. However, as the B&I games are usually the same weekend as the European challenge/championship matches, not sure that the Premiership clubs would have much of an appetite: they would not like to risk the stigma of a loss to a lower-tier club because of having to play with a weakened side. I could be wrong on this, but I clearly remember Bath, in their pre-season friendly against us played at Ilkley, kicking penalties to ensure they did not lose what was a tight match.
Whatever the replacement for the B&I it will required some joined-up thinking plus getting round the vested interests of the Premiership: not an easy one for the rfu to solve.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 09:57
They could change the format of the Anglo Welsh Cup to make it a straight knockout and include Championship and Nat1 teams maybe?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 10:04
The national cup was great if you had a good run - Twickers in 2005 remains one of the high points of my time as a supporter - but less so if you go out early. I would prefer a 14-team league with more, and more predictable, home fixtures.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 10:52
Arguably though, that wouldnt generate the interest amongst supporters or very much extra income.

I hear what youre saying about the pitfall of an early exit, but that guarantees that a strong team is fielded and the rugby will be competitive.

As you say yourself Albert, the National Cup is the highlight of your time as a supporter.

I used to love the FA Cup coming around before football disappeared up its own ar$e. I remember queueing up with my dad in the freezing cold outside Bootham Cresent to get a ticket to see York City play Liverpool in the 80s. Dalglish, Rush, Grobelaar, Hansen turning out on a pitch that supporters had cleared the snow off to get the game on.

Something like that would be superb for rugby and a financial lifeline for lower league clubs I reckon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 11:54 by leemingtyke.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:16
I would be in favour of both options. A 14 team league and an FA Cup style competition. Both are likely to generate extra income, increasing as you progress. It could encourage clubs to invest for success.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:35
You're right Bobba - I remember the days when Birmingham and Solihull Bees took the scalp of mighty Wasps!

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 14:12
completely agree with the above. The prem and nat 1 need to be linked and a cup competition is and has been a great idea.

A 14 team AP with us in it would be the icing on the cake but I don't hold my breath.

to have another day a HQ supporting YC.... Lets hope it happens!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net