rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 20 January, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Jersey Reds @ Scarborough RFC

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

TykesRugby.co.uk
Preview - the British and Irish Cup matches
TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:48
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Preview - the British and Irish Cup matches
almostatyke (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 16:30
Yorkshire Carnegie Head Coach James Lowes has named a strong side for this Saturday’s penultimate British & Irish Cup pool game at London Scottish, kick off 3pm.
Lowes gave a number of young players the chance to impress against the Dragons Premiership Select in the previous two rounds but he names a strong squad this week as Yorkshire look to take a decisive step towards the knock out stages.
There is a welcome return from injury for fly half Callum Irvine, who has not featured since defeat at the same venue against Richmond back at the start of October. Yorkshire defeated Scottish earlier in the in the pool stages 19-8 at Ilkley but lost on the opening day at the Athletic Ground 28-12.

The team in full is:

15. Stevie McColl
14. George Watkins
13. Andy Forsyth
12. Fred Burdon
11. Louis Brown
10. Callum Irvine
9. Alex Davies (c)
1. Charlie Capps
2. Harry Newborn
3. James Thraves
4. Jack Whetton
5. Mike Myerscough
6. Ben West
7. Josh Bainbridge
8. Richard Beck

16. Joe Buckle
17. Will Vaughan
18. Xavier Valentine
19. Elliot Ward
20. Trystan Lloyd
21. Tom Casson
22. Pete Lucock

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 18:13
And the Exiles' team:

Dave Morris has named Hooker Isaac Miller as his Captain for this weekend’s British and Irish Cup game against Yorkshire Carnegie at The Athletic Ground.

The chances of qualification for the Scots into the next round of the B&I Cup are incredibly slim but Morris and his side still want a win from their first game of 2018.
Morris has taken the opportunity to rotate some of his players and utilise his wider squad but the core of the side remains the same from the Nottingham win in the league just before the New Year.
Loughborough University graduate Miller will captain the side from Hooker and is partnered by Ben Onyeama-Christie and Ewan McQuillin in the front row. Miller has made twelves appearances so far this season for the Scots and has been one of the standout performers.
James Tyas makes the shift from the back row to the second row and partners Tjiuee Uanivi. Gregor Gillanders starts on the blindside with Matt Marely starting at seven. Joe Atkinson returns to number eight after playing on the blindside against Nottingham.
Ed Hoadley is handed a start at scrum half and partners Jake Sharp, the fourth time the two will pair up together this season.
Fraser Lyle continues at inside centre after being called in as a late replacement against Nottingham when Ben Mosses was pulled out due to illness. He is joined in the centres by Charlie Ingall who will make his first appearance for Scottish at 13.
Joe Luca Smith is named on the left wing and Connor Hayhow is named on the right wing. Craig Holland will marshal proceedings from Full Back.
Pete Austin, Derrick Appiah and American International Dino Waldren are the front row replacements on the bench. Dominic McGeekie and Max Berry will cover the second and back rows. Josh Barton will cover scrum half and Nick Scott makes his return from a leg injury he suffered against Hartpury in October.

London Scottish: 1. Ben Onyeama-Christie 2. Isaac Miller © 3. Ewan McQuillin 4. Tjiuee Uanivi 5. James Tyas 6. Gregor Gillanders 7. Matt Marley 8. Joe Atkinson; 9. Ed Hoadley 10. Jake Sharp 11. Joe Luca Smith 12. Fraser Lyle 13. Charlie Ingall 14. Connor Hayhow 15. Craig Holland
Replacements: 16. Pete Austin 17. Derrick Appiah 18. Dino Waldren 19. Dominic McGeekie 20. Max Berry 21. Josh Barton 22. Nick Scott

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 21:17
Great to see callum back. I hope he stays injury free from now and has a run of games. Once settled in he could be a real find.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:00
Final score 29 - 19 to Scottish. Strange in that Scottish went 10-0 up, we then lead 10-19 at half time but had a disasterous second half leaking another 19 points.

Looks like our B&I ambitions are over.

(Sm18)

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:17
Disappointing, I wonder if it was down to the usual slew of replacements. At least we can focus on the league!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:39
Already highlights on t'offie:

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:34
Was it Casson with grubber attempt trip over then they go full length? He won't wanna see that Monday!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:40
Quote:
JDH
Was it Casson with grubber attempt trip over then they go full length? He won't wanna see that Monday!

But strangely the referee had just raised his arm as if for a penalty - hence we were playing advantage and entitled to take risks. Perhaps it was a nervous twitch?

MESSAGES->author
corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 08:52
I'm coming up to Scarborough for the match on Saturday and hoping both sides play their strongest teams and we see a full on game of rugby. The pool tables speak volumes about how seriously the two clubs have treated the B&I Cup this season but its the final pool match so lets hope its a great match. All the best cc

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

MESSAGES->author
15 January, 2018 09:10
After Saturday's result I would be surprised if we go full tilt, even with relatively little to play for in the league. There is a bit of money for getting to the knock-out stages but not that much.

Bit early for a reliable weather forecast yet but the Beeb is currently saying bright and cold.

MESSAGES->author
18 January, 2018 12:21
Are tickets for the match at Scarborough available at the gate? I checked the offy site and it seems to be offering tickets at Headingley for this match but that didn't seem quite right to me so I left it. Wouldn't want to travel all that way from Jersey and miss it tho'.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 12:32
Don't take it as official but I am sure u can pay at the gate. They have a few people checking tickets and taking money etc last couple of times I have been.
Rap up warm cos it's a cold ground!

MESSAGES->author
18 January, 2018 16:41
Thanks JDH I haven't been to Scarborough for about 50 years but looking forward to it although I would have thought October would have been a better time to schedule a B&I match there. I'm staying with family in Durham on Friday so I should be acclimatised by match day. Hoping to see Buckle, Thomas & Watkins in the YC team all top class lads who always give 100%.

MESSAGES->author
18 January, 2018 17:21
You can certainly pay on the day but with a slight increase over advance prices - an extortionate £12 for adults and £6 for seniors!

Still expected to be cold and bright, but the pitch is likely to be heavy after this week's snow and rain.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 11:53
Corporal Carrot the ground is out of town. A nice walk in the summer but a bit bracing in the winter. Plenty of parking if you're driving, if you're going by train best get a taxi at the station and book it for the journey back.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 12:00
I would add that Scarborough offer a pre-game lunch (booking required) and that tends to take up all their catering capacity until the game starts. Otherwise best to eat before you arrive or take sandwiches.
Wouldn't want the game spoilt by a rumbling CC stomach!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 12:02
Looks a strong team:

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

Yorkshire Carnegie are aiming to make it through to the quarter finals of the British & Irish Cup as they take on Jersey Reds at Scarborough RUFC on Saturday, kick off 2pm.
Carnegie’s 29-19 loss at London Scottish last Saturday means they are dependent on other results to make the last eight even if they defeat their pool winning opponents from the Channel Islands. However, with Yorkshire rivals Doncaster travelling to Dublin to face an undefeated Leinster A side, there is a chance that James Lowes’ side could progress.
Lowes makes eight changes to the side that travelled to London last weekend. Chris Elder returns at full back in place of George Watkins, youngster Tom Bullough makes his third start of the season at centre whilst Pete Lucock and Will Homer combine in the half backs.
In the forwards, Charlie Beech starts at tight head prop with James Thraves reverting to the bench and Matt Smith has overcome illness to replace Jack Whetton in the second row. Skipper Richard Mayhew returns in the back row as does Ollie Stedman.
The team in full is:
15. Chris Elder
14. Stevie McColl
13. Fred Burdon
12. Tom Bullough
11. Louis Brown
10. Pete Lucock
9. Will Homer
1. Charlie Capps
2. Harry Newborn
3. Charlie Beech
4. Mike Myerscough
5. Matt Smith
6. Josh Bainbridge
7. Richard Mayhew (c)
8. Ollie Stedman
16. Jordon Poole
17. Will Vaughan
18. James Thraves
19. Jack Whetton
20. Trystan Lloyd
21. Callum Irvine
22. Andy Forsyth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2018 12:35 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
19 January, 2018 12:52
Pity the old Jersey lads aren't playing but hopefully they will be around as it would be good to see them anyway. The lads at Scarborough gave me a recommended taxi firm so hopefully travel out to the ground all sorted. Hoping for fish and chips on the sea front tomorrow and a hot bovril at the ground if available. I hope Jersey put a strong side out and we see a real match.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 16:06
Jersey team:

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 16:47
Pitch inspection tomorrow morning 09:30.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 17:24
Good to see bullough back. Think he could be a really good player. I really rate Poole too. Won't be at the game as away but hope those that go get a good game and a win!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net