rugbyunion
Latest News:

We await the 2018/9 season. Happy summer!

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
2018 Six Nations
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 09:14
Eddie has announced his initial squad:

[www.englandrugby.com]

There are a lot of established players out injured, meaning Eddie has had to do more work than usual in picking the squad. Congratulations to FP Lewis Boyce and there are also quite a few other players with connections to our club.

[EDIT] Now an article on the offy:

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 12:48 by almostatyke.

TykeGeorge
Re: 2018 Six Nations
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 11:22
Lewis Boyce in there!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 12:29
That is good news

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 18:06
Whilst Gary Mercer was not successful as Carnegie Head Coach, I wish his son, Zach, every success with England.

(Sm42)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
18 January, 2018 20:54
Go on Boycie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 21:04 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 06:51
Just seen Irelands line up for their opener against France (Sm124)

Pretty strong!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:34
England's is pretty strong too. A few untried but a decent team. Bench a tad weak though.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 18:47
Agreed, if i were a betting man i think id have England to win the tournament but Ireland to turn us over at Twickenham

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 18:54
Most open competition for a number of years. Starting with every squad diminished by injuries - Ireland look to have managed this better than the other teams - but for sure there is going to be a big attrition rate during the early stages of combat that will test the strength in depth of all the nations.
Currently I think Ireland are favourites, but the unmatched reserves of England may just win them through.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 19:31
What a dismal effort by England. It would have been a travesty if they had nicked it at the end. Well done Ireland, champs with a week to spare. Grand slam looks favourite.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 20:11
Agree it would've been a travesty if we'd nicked it Albert.

Didnt think England did that badly though. Just beaten by a side that totally dominated the breakdown on the day.

Continue to be mystified at how Jonny May gets selected over Jack Nowell though.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 20:34
But that's two games on the bounce when we have been rubbish at the breakdown (can't blame the refs) and the penalty count against was horrendous. They don't seem to have the nous to read the game and adapt on the hoof.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 21:01
Yeah fair comment about not being able to think on the hoof. I didnt see the Scotland game so cant comment on that.

Thought Englands line out worked well. Also liked Watson at fullback and Daly continued his Lions form on the wing. Think Owen Farrell is Englands one genuinely world class player at the moment, he'd walk into any team on the planet.

Looks like Eddies got some figuring out to do.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:14
England's wheels have temporary fallen off

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:18
Jack Nowell was injured for this game

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 13:19 by Madtyke.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 09:06
I thought Watson was a poor choice for FB in this game, and Brown should have been on earlier. Dreadful penalty count, inexcusable for the carrier to get isolated as many times as ours were.

And time for an attack coach, too. The only time we threw a missed pass we scored from it, yet there were dozens of them in the Ireland/Scotland game.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:19
To be fair France didn't cross our try line and won with a penalty try for a 'high tackle three foot from the ground

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 12:23
Quote:
Madtyke
Jack Nowell was injured for this game

Thanks Madtyke, didnt know that.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 13:49
Time for England to regroup for the Oirish. I suspect though, that St. Paddy will be looking out for them this weekend, and a resulting third loss on the trot for Eddies boys will be the result.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 20:43
Sweeping changes for the Ireland game. Not surprising after the last 2 performances.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 22:42
I think England lost the 6 Nations when Ben Youngs got injured. Danny Care has not had an impact as a starter, and Wrigglesworth is solid but unadventurous.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 14:26
Agreed. Care doesn't run the game like youngs. He is better in last 20mins.

I think it might be a painful watch for the English fans unless they pull something special out of the bag.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:46
St Patrick is certainly looking after his boys in the first half!

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 16:57
Only if St Patrick is now an inept Australian referee! In all seriousness the best team won but that was another poor game from England. Was it me or did they just not seem to start playing until they were so far behind they were chasing a lost game?

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 01:09
Is wasn't much better live. To much of an ask today. Played better but no invention or much go forward. Irish defence was good.

It was a tricky drive back up the M1 too!

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 07:36
Reading Jones after the event it appears some have worn the shirt for the last time, no-one yesterday would have made team of the day but think the folllowing might get the summer off

Haskell
Teo
Joseph
Hartley
Kruis

Clearly missed the go forward of Billy this tournament and Youngís with care on after 60 to me is always a good shout, Hartley doesnít really do it for me and summed up with numerous penalties on Irish line we go for another line out and he goes high risk to the back and we lose possession, Joseph needs longer studs as he is always on his @#$%&, Kruis is a lion and a good player but launchbury out work rates him every week,

Might want to give a couple of the lions the summer off or not play them in every test as they are looking very jaded itoje, mako, especially

England player of the tournament for me was Robshaw, did a lot of the dirty unseen work really well

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 07:58
Lions tour plus the Premiership workload means our top players have played through two seasons with virtually no break: hence jaded performances.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 08:50
So I presume that the Irish, Scottish and Welsh players who have also been involved in the Lions tour, the Premiership and / or their own countries Championships are made of far sterner stuff than the English? That's rubbish. It seems to me that the English players, are slowly but surely becoming the in disciplined bunch of previous years and Eddie appears to be unable to control this.

The England performance thorough the Six Nations was very poor. They appeared to need additional time to make decisions and could not cope when finding the opposition in their faces. Add to that the penalties conceded, a lot of which can be put down to stupidity.

Finishing 5th is unacceptable.

On a brighter note. At least we are not Italy?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 09:00
Players in the Pro 14 get a much easier ride than Premiership players - in Ireland and Wales' cases the national team can control the amount of rugby played by the centrally-contracted (star) players.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 09:03
In fairness to Almos post itís not so much the lions schedule as the AP,

Pro 14 is still less competitive even with the recent revamp,

England have still been poor and ill disciplined however players havenít had the luxury of putting their feet up for certain games as they have to finish in top 6 for the lucrative euro competition,

Canít see sexton etc on a plane to South Africa to play kings etc or hotfooting it over to zebre on a cold Friday, but in AP every point counts

Still needed this kick up the @#$%& though, his selection for summer tour will be very interesting

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 09:36
Just been on leinster website to look for an upcoming trip and potential tickets

Noted 2 outstanding Irish players this tournament Furlong and Sexton have played 10 and 8 games this season mainly Europe and the munster derbies,

Not going to search the entire 6 nations squads but holds weight to Almo's argument they do have an easier ride

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 08:57
Sir Clive seems to be backing me up:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net