rugbyunion
Latest News:

Sunday 25 February, KO 14:30 Cornish Pirates v Yorkshire Carnegie @ The Mennaye

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Poll: Six Nations competition
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 07:27

Who will win this year?

France
Italy
Scotland
England
Ireland
Wales
No outright winner.

You must be logged in to vote.

15 Votes

Show results

The 6 Nations is upon us. Fast Eddie says that England has no chance. Is he bluffing? Who do you fancy for the title? Will there be an outright winner? It is time to decide!

[allottie.blogspot.co.uk]

[www.northernpubs.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Poll: Six Nations competition
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
24 January, 2018 08:10
There's always an outright winner these days. Do you mean a grand slam?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
GJD (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 20:50
England to win it.

depth of players now is so good

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 22:45
We will get to see a lot of new players in all the teams given the mounting injuries everyone has. Opportunities are there to be taken.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 09:00
Could be a bit of a lottery, with so many players injured. However Ireland are able to manage the gametime of their stars, so I think they will sneak it.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 18:01
England have yet another back-row absence - Zach Mercer has got weapons grade manful or similar and is out of contention for Sunday.
Team for Italy to be announced by Steady Eddie at 8.00 p.m.
[EDIT]
Latest news:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2018 20:30 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 19:26
I voted for Ireland and I now know they will walk it. Any team that can play so ordinarily in conditions that suit their play and win like they did today, will win easily. Sexton missed a relatively easy place kick then gets out of jail with a 45 metre drop goal 3 minutes into extra time to break French hearts.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 20:30
Scots find there usual form.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 00:06
Workmanlike performance by England against a spirited Italian side (apart from conceding two silly trys). England are going to be difficult to beat!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 20:52
For me the key performance, or actually non-performance, this weekend was Scotland. Having made serious progress over the past three years, they got carried away under new coach Gregor Townsend, and over-reached themselves. A bit reminiscent of "Ally's army" football world cup team back in the day.
I don't think England or the All Blacks would have had the courage to try all-out attack from the start against Wales in the Principality, with the roof closed.
I would say 90% bad coaching and 10% bad play.
Italy look a better prospect to avoid the wooden spoon IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 18:40
I see steady Eddie is starting his mind games by suggesting Wales cannot live up to the expectations now placed upon them following the Scotland win. Wisely, Wales are not taking him on in this department.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:26
Wales have tried to use the TMO decision not to award them a try as an excuse for losing on Saturday. Here's Jeremy Guscott's take on it:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:46
So, World Rugby have announced that the TMO got it wrong when he disallowed Gareth Anscombe's 'try'.

For the record I agree with them,

But can anyone explain what the bloody hell they hoped to achieve by announcing this? All they've done is completely undermine the officials who have a tough enough job as it is.

Is there a rugby governing body anywhere in the world that isnt populated by f@#kwits?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:55
Seems to be what they do these days after contentious decisions in big games (Joubert at the World Cup qv). I can only think that they hope we will be re-assured when they admit that refs are only human.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 10:11 by Albert Fishwick.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:15
I saw it from three angles. From two of them it was a try. From one, less so. Does that class as 'reasonal doubt'?

These things even out, sooner in Wales's case, as they got a bonus point with a blatant forward pass the previous week.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 08:34
I guess so Albert.

Theres a super slow motion clip going around on twitter which appears to show the ball making contact with his fingers at the same time as his knee.

But, from the replays that the TMO saw, I'd have given it.

Just the way it goes, sometimes for you, sometimes against.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 10:37
From the video replays I would have said definitely not a try, but some photographer behind the line has produced a conclusive photo, as a result I now say "Try", most definitely. Well done that person!

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:49
I say no try because it was Wales

haxbytyke
Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:25
There is also the possibility that Evans, the winger, was offside when the kick was made. That would have been the first thing checked by the Video ref in Super League.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:49
Good point, Hax, for all the controversy in RU and football about using new technology to assist referee decisions, RL started it first and seems to have got the best balance. Strangely, forward passes cannot be checked in RL, though I personally suspect that if you used, say Hawkeye, to check for forward passes about 50% of tries in both codes would be disallowed.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:58
The forward pass law is a nightmare

John R
John R (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 15:08
All the Sunday papers said England won, so we have to believe them.................

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 20:40
I thought it was a try at the time, but I was always told the refs decision was final. Result stands and wales maintain their “plucky losers”title. More worrying was World Rugby saying that the TMO made a mistake, whether he did or not that is poor. But it deflects the blame from poor welsh decision making when they kept kicking for touch instead of kicking their penalties. Still think Underhills tackle was what won it for England, not the disallowed try.

More to the point of the thread, Ireland for the title and Italy for the wooden spoon (again)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net