rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 17 November, KO 15:00, Coventry v Yorkshire Carnegie, Butts Park Arena
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Team's up
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 12:31
After a fortnight away on Cup duties, Yorkshire Carnegie return to action in the Greene King IPA Championship this Sunday when they welcome Hartpury to Emerald Headingley, kick off 3pm.

There are eight changes to the side that defeated Jersey Reds last week at Scarborough. Three of the new faces come in the back line with George Watkins returning on the wing, Andy Forsyth at centre and Alex Davies starting at scrum half.

In the forwards, Charlie Beech has been ruled out through illness, so James Thraves starts at tight head prop with Marc Thomas in at loose head. 20-year-old hooker Harry Newborn makes his first start in the Championship after four starts in the Cup this season having retained his place from last week.

Jack Whetton comes in for Matt Smith in the second row and Ben West replaces Josh Bainbridge in the back row, with Smith and Bainbridge both amongst the replacements. Richard Beck comes in for Ollie Stedman at number eight.

On the bench, new loan signing Kevin Bryce is included as is fellow prop Charlie Capps, who returns after missing out through injury last week. Hooker Jordon Poole could make his first appearance in the Championship this season after being named on the bench.

The team in full is:

15. Chris Elder
14. George Watkins
13. Andy Forsyth
12. Fred Burdon
11. Stevie McColl
10. Pete Lucock
9. Alex Davies
1. Marc Thomas
2. Harry Newborn
3. James Thraves
4. Jack Whetton
5. Mike Myerscough
6. Ben West
7. Richard Mayhew (c)
8. Richard Beck

16. Jordon Poole
17. Charlie Capps
18. Kevin Bryce
19. Matt Smith
20. Josh Bainbridge
21. Will Homer
22. Callum Irvine

Not sure I understand why we are persisting with Lucock at 10 now all our halves are apparently fit and available once more. A bit more experience in the front rowers would be welcome, but I hope that this squad will be good enough for a convincing win. Forecast is for mild but cloudy conditions.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Team's up
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 12:57
Looks a strong team, only two oddities being Stedman's absence and Pistol Pete @ 10 as noted by Albert above.

Perhaps, having failed to create a star flyhalf with Sir Kev, Pistol Pete is the next project?

However, other than Beech's illness, the offie has no words on which players are not under consideration because of injury/sickness. Pity as this was supposed to be happening following Fans Forum requests.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 13:52
Only thing I can think of is they don't want both 9s starting the game. If Fred is fit he starts at 12 for me and Pete aint quick enough for 13 imo.

Big win Sunday!

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 15:30
Steadman limped off in the second half at Scarborough so I assume he has not recovered in time to be considered for selection

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 19:56
The rest of Rugby are busy converting fly halves into centres.

Carnegie converting a centre to fly half. Breaking the mould

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 19:59
And we wonder why we are where we are!

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 20:38
luck

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 21:56
Not seen any news of the Hartpury team but I believe they often have a number of Gloucester and Bristol dual registered players: this week is an Anglo-Welsh weekend meaning that the D/R's normally go back to their employers.

EDIT:
Of course Bristol are not in the Anglo-Welsh so Hartpury will be playing two loan players from Bristol, Perkins and Bedlow (13 & 14). I know we use D/R players but there is something a bit strange in another Championship club presenting players in the second half of the season to play against a potential promotion rival. Not a big deal as, though third, we are clearly behind the pace, but this doesn't feel right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 09:37 by almostatyke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net