rugbyunion
Latest News:
Friday 28 September, KO 19:45 Jersey Red v Yorkshire Carnegie, St Peter's
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Today's game
JDH (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:26
Well barring a decent end to the first half I thought we were dreadful again.
We have got worse as the season has gone on. We look like a team that doesn't train together imo. Very disjointed.
Lineout fell apart. Still moving the ball poorly. Lucock had a couple of decent little breaks. Why don't they pass it behind Casson on the crash ball now and again?
Just really disappointed in the performance. Second half we were hanging on v guys that are going to work in the morning!

Grybz
Re: Today's game
Grybz (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 18:23
That must have been the mother of all team talks that J-Lo gave at half time. Ok lads, you gifted them a try to start with, then you started stringing some passes together, scored a couple of good tries and actually looked pretty good for twenty minutes and got the bonus point wrapped up in the first half. Now I want you to get back to the game plan. I donít want anyone to chase any kicks, just let their scrum half boss the game and if you canít throw it to one of their players at a line out just chuck it over anyone or make sure it isnít straight. Make sure we make Richmond look good and see if we can hang on for grim death at the end for the win. Donít bother with any line breaks and try not to win any turn over ball, just keep passing it from side to side until someone knocks on or loses it in contact.

Genuinely thought we were going to end up with, at best, a try bonus point and. And of we were lucky a losing bonus point. I was just relieved when the final whistle went.

Well, that should stop any pesky premier league clubs nicking any more of our players to warm their benches.

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 18:59
JDH I couldnít have summed it up better myself. The second half was a total shambles. To me it smacked of the team thinking they had won the game by half time, dropping off the intensity and, as we all know, once that happens it is almost impossible to get back up to speed. We were really lucky to get away with the win.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:32
Somethings up because the performance isn't there. Mistake after mistake with basic skills. No fluidity in attack.
After 3 weeks off everyone at the club must be wondering what they are doing wrong.
Why don't we start homer at 9, Alex at 10 and Pete at 12?

On the plus side beck is doing ok at 8 and Thomas must be player of the season.

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:47
Do you reckon the attitude of the board, I.e. we arenít going to bother this year because Bristol are going to romp it filters down to the players? Or possibly as there are no play offs there is nothing really for them to play for?

Sadly I canít actually recall any game this season, with the exception of Rotherham, that has been a convincing win. Come to think of it, I canít really recall any convincing performances full stop.

Iím not a qualified coach or anything, but would it be unreasonable to expect a fly half to play at fly half, rather than putting a centre in?

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:48
Thought we were dreadful today, thankfully we scored 4 tries before halftime. the amount of ball we coughed up would have seen better sides demolish us.

As for Prem teams pinching our players don't worry as Ealing are in the process of asset stripping Carnegie. Apparently Elder and Buckle are going + a few others have been approached. Charlie Beech is off to Coventry as a player/coach, Kirsty hasn't been offered a new contract but doesn't want to leave.

Carnegie as usual have been holding back on contract renewal talks so players are talking with their feet yet again, hopefully if J-Lo is still coach he won't have a Lancaster situation whereby 75% of the squad depart, if they do then I sense the demise of Carnegie.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:41
I thought that. Nothing really to play for. I wonder what the plan is then?
Looks like ealing fancy a shot at irish next year. We will be mid table.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:15
Once again we do not score in the second half. Seems we are doing the absolute minimum to get the points, but somehow we still win and are third in what is a very competitive league.

I just don't understand where we are at.

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:37
My problem is I can sort of understand the feeling that bris were going to walk the league if they had treated this season as an opportunity to develop the basis of a squad for next year, lay the foundations so to speak. The thing is we donít seem to be developing as much as scraping through.

London Irish would have walked the league last year, but we acquitted ourselves well in the play off finals, but we are on a straight winner takes all system I can see the board saying the same thing, but instead of not competing with bris we will not be competing with Irish next season. With Ealing splashing the cash (and I hope Madtyke is wrong, but fear he isnít) and Coventry looking like they will come up as the Wasps development squad I can see more years of not competing to come. I fear we may have a nice new stadium to sit in but not much to watch.

Sorry about the pessimism, but I am afraid the match today and what has gone on before does not fill me with optimism.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 11:31
On another plus side at least we are winning.

Must be hard mentally for the lads when bristol are streets ahead and there isn't a goal for the season end barring finishing top 3 or 4.

With regards to ealing. Can taking the best of the championship, excl bristol, win the league? If irish can keep the team they have now they imo would still be too strong.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 13:34
Quote:
JDH

With regards to ealing. Can taking the best of the championship, excl bristol, win the league? If irish can keep the team they have now they imo would still be too strong.

Good point. I think they would need Irish to implode commercially (which is possible) and then there is a chance they could take over the West London rugby berth at Brentford. However, with a core support of 500, it is hard to envisage Ealing in the AP.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 19:09
Back to topic - the highlights are on the "offie" and I think J-Lo is right, Richmond's last try was from a forward pass. Look at the surprise on the passer's face when he realises the try is given!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:07
Quote:
almostatyke
Quote:
JDH

Good point. I think they would need Irish to implode commercially (which is possible) and then there is a chance they could take over the West London rugby berth at Brentford. However, with a core support of 500, it is hard to envisage Ealing in the AP.

I think Irish will be there to have a crack at next season. Just unfortunate that we won't be the ones in a position to do it.

People often say that this club or that club can't or shouldn't be in the Premiership because of their poor attendances but I don't buy into that at all. Unless you're getting 20,000 supporters a week through the turnstiles, attendances have very little say in a clubs sustainability. In most cases the thing that is the biggest indicator of sustainability is the depth of your backers pockets. So why shouldn't Ealing go up?

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:16
If they are playing prem rugby people will go

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:37
Quote:
JDH
If they are playing prem rugby people will go

Yep

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 21:41
Unless you are London Welsh. And all is not rosy at LI off the pitch either. No ground of their own, no off-field commercial income streams. Both these clubs moved away from their roots, and eventually have and will pay the price.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 21:52
Yeah i agree. Think Ealing have a good opportunity next year.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 22:08
That last Richmond try was a shocker. What is the touch looking at. He is right there. Poor show as Jimmy said.

Do irish get a parachute payment same as before for coming down? I know a few are leaving, lewington etc. But the gap is that big they will still be good. Unless they who fund them have second thoughts. U don't get a better chance of going back up than first time of asking. Any longer and it can go pear shaped.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 22:16
Having been to their ground and seen their facilties, never mind the attendance figures, I still maintain that Ealing are not a Premiership concern. They play on the old Great Western Railway sports club, closer to Greenford than Ealing, when I lived near there it was called Hanwell. To get there you go through a residential street that would not support decent Championship traffic on match day. They have a single sugar daddy who bought the ground and rents it to the Union side (London Broncos RL team rent it too).
I don't blame the players in taking the money on offer, but I still see it as a bit of a bubble.
However, if LI implode, creating a vacuum: as they are poised to go to Brentford's new stadium, who knows?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 13:47
Judging by the comments above, I'm glad I did not go. My previous visit having been the worst display of rugby for many a year, I think this one could have capped it!

As it is clear that Bristol are to be promoted. Perhaps the RFU should look at scrapping the rest of the season, as it is ultimately pointless, and giving the players and management a nice long holiday, and plenty of time to prepare for the start of the new season in September 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net