rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 15 December, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Coventry Rugby, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Contract Negotiations (or rather lack.of!)
Madtyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 15:47
A conversation I had yesterday with one of the Club's Player Sponsors went along the lines that YC are being years and are failing to negotiate contract renewals with several players. Along with Stedman going off to Ealing, Elder and Buckle are heading down to West London. Buckle apparently was left in limbo so signed for Ealing only for the DOR to offer a less favourable contract to stay. Charlie Beech was offered a fair sum to head to Down South but has opted to take a player/coach role in the Midlands again because the DOR has failed to make an offer and Kirsty has been abandoned by the Club despite wanting to stay.

I feel that the days of YC as a professional Rugby Club are diminishing by the day and the board have little or no stomach to fund a moneypit. Who would invest in a business whose only assets are the contracted players and an Academy Side. YC own no grounds and are dependent on the goodwill of the Rhinos to train down at Kirkstall (obviously a rental agreement is in place).

A real.shame if YC were to.fold having been a supporter of Headingley/Leeds/Tykes/Carnegie x2 I have enjoyed the journey.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Contract Negotiations (or rather lack.of!)
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 16:28
Obviously no money forthcoming from the board of Yorkshire "investors" that Geech and Dave Dock have been seeking, so the club have no alternative (other than to follow a certain foolhardy approach that LW took) but to cut costs accordingly.
As Beech is Geech's son-in-law then, if he is leaving does it mean that the "Yorkshire experiment" is over?

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 16:35
Let's see what happens. Players always move on so not surprised to hear it is happening. With no money they are in a difficult situation.
With mccolls form this year would you offer him a new deal? I wouldn't.
Mr Dock said he and the other owners had the stomach for it a few weeks into the season so I assume they still do.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:35
I haven't seen Stevie, or anyone else for that matter, play this season. But I've long thought that he perfectly encapsulates one of the main issues that has dogged the club in recent seasons - namely a lack of professionalism.

When fit and motivated Stevie is, or was, a match winner. Before his move to Gloucester he was out with a hand injury and his weight ballooned - a HAND injury.

He moved to Gloucester and was absorbed into their Premier league mentality (hate word culture!). Sure enough he slimmed right down and when he got his opportunities in their first team I thought he looked pretty good.

Back with us and it sounds like he's dropped right off again. Highly predictable in my view.

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 08:28
Just as worrying - England u18 squad - Chock full of lads from Sharks and Falcons, none from Carnegie.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 10:49
I know everybody bkieves I am only pessimistic but we have to realistic. At the end of the season we are loosing at least three of our best players. Why because we cannot afford to pay them what they think and can get somewhere else. We may get replacements but they will have to be cheap. Also the dream they were sold has not and is not likely to materialise in the near future.
If you were an aspiring player would you come to us, a club which has to off load players to balance the books. There is a likely hood that we will stay afloat by becoming a semi proffessional club like Richmond, Moseley and the like

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 13:39
Ah yes, Geech's "Yorkshire experiment"! The only thing that has come out of that is the abandonment of the "Leeds" name to become, probably the most hated club in the country and certainly so in the County of Yorkshire. That apart the "experiment" was a pipe dream that never even got off the ground.

Let's return to the old Leeds Tykes values even if it means going pro am and getting shut of the current regime and Leeds Rugby!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 16:15
I think YC will still attract players. There a lot worse places to play.

headingleytyke
20 February, 2018 16:18
JDH, I know players will come but only cheap ones or those with no ambition

oopnorth
oopnorth (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 22:45
Hold on one minute Bobba. Explain why we are in your opinion the most hated club in the country. I have never heard that before.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:44
One of the most liked with all the quality players we produce then lose...

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:37
Ask Doncaster, Rotherham.....

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:43
The lack of success in negotiating contracts for the next season and beyond is nothing new. We have a tradition of losing the bulk of our players at the end of a season, so I don't think there is anything of significance there. As Almo says, we will have to trim our budget and live within our means. The only worry is if we finish up not recruiting suitable replacements for next season!

PaulRossborough
PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:00
If you're struggling to sort any more contracts, send the player to Coventry... Very happy with Phil Nielsen this season, maybe there will be more [:wor kid:]

All views expressed in this post, are my own

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:14
We certainly didn't want Phil to go, and he didn't want to leave but I suspect he was on good money (he was with us during the Premiership years) and our budget is minimal.

headingleytyke
04 March, 2018 12:30
I see the rugby paper says Buckle and Elder are not going to Ealing but staying with us.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:33
Hope its true! As we are playing Ealing in two weeks, it could be significant.

I also hope that lots of negotiations are going on behind the scenes but the club has not announced them yet. It would be useful if the club gave some indication of next season's recruitment aims......but I am not holding my breath.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:55
Let's get some positives on this board. Good news if they are staying. Elder is the stand out back by a mile.

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 08:05
Well the Good News continues with Jimmy and Steve Boden staying on as the coaching team and Rich Mayhew signing for another season, just need to get a decent DOR.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 14:23
Good to see Rich is staying. Good player

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 12:20
How old is Mayhew?

Miserati - and Proud to be!

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:35

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 15:37
Cheers, possibly explains the one year contract.

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 18:15
One year sounds right now - have enjoyed watching him so far, and do feel he is giving it all for the mighty Carnegie!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 21:25
Think 1 year is standard now.

Which is fair enough tbh, because RU players seem to be able to just walk away from contracts if a better offer comes around.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 22:43
Doesn't seem very adventurous from either side.

headingleytyke
18 March, 2018 10:53
According to the rugby paper we have a Canadian international prop joining next season. Has played for Northampton and Newcastle

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
18 March, 2018 14:21
A shelley link I wonder?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net