rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 18 August, KO 15:00, Darlington Mowden Park v Yorkshire Carnegie, Northern Echo Arena

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Team's up for Bedford....
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:03
....if it goes ahead.

From Offie:

Yorkshire Carnegie Head Coach James Lowes has made four changes to his side for this Saturday’s clash with Bedford Blues at Goldington Road, kick off 3pm.
Bedford are hopeful the game will go ahead despite the cold snap this week and have called for volunteers to clear the snow, ice and covers on the pitch and surrounding areas on Saturday morning to make sure they can get the game on!
The Goldington Road pitch has been covered with frost sheets since last Friday and the Blues are confident of making sure this weekend’s Greene King IPA Championship fixture against Yorkshire Carnegie remains as scheduled for a 3pm kick off.
There are two changes in the back line with Alex Davies forced out following injury at Cornish Pirates last week. He is replaced by Will Homer, who played the majority of the game against the Pirates at scrum half. Callum Irvine gets the chance to play at fly half which allows Pete Lucock to revert back to centre to replace Tom Casson, who is amongst the replacements.
In the forwards, Charlie Beech returns in the front row having missed last week’s game through concussion whilst Matt Smith starts in the second row in place of Ben West.
On the bench, new signing Craig Mitchell starts as a replacement whilst Oliver Fox comes in as scrum half cover.
The team in full is:
15. Stevie McColl
14. George Watkins
13. Andy Forsyth
12. Pete Lucock
11. Louis Brown
10. Callum Irvine
9. Will Homer
1. Marc Thomas
2. Joe Buckle
3. Charlie Beech
4. Jack Whetton
5. Matt Smith
6. Mike Myerscough
7. Richard Mayhew (c)
8. Richard Beck

16. Mike Mayhew
17. James Thraves
18. Craig Mitchell
19. Harry Newborn
20. Trystan Lloyd
21. Oliver Fox
22. Tom Casson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 12:04 by almostatyke.

Bobba
Re: Team's up for Bedford....
Bobba (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:41
A start for Callum Irvine. Come on Callum, show us what you can do!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 15:21
Big game for our young half-backs against a lively and Championship-savvy Bedford team. Homer an excellent player but sometimes overplays and gets isolated, lacking support. Perhaps Irvine will have an understanding and prevent this happening.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 16:20
Player No 18 Mitchell is explained on the offie:

[yorkshirecarnegie.com]

Seems we are only interested in signing Internationals, or am I dreaming?

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 18:14
Seems odd to me green and wright who admittedly are Bath players but under the deal are free to return to carnegie whenever needed are not even on the Bench for Bath in a international window and would surely benefit both parties giving them game time,

Admittedly off the wage bill but both loaned back till end of season would have been better bet for all parties?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 18:19
Agreed no cover at scrum half at present. Not sure the club have been transparent in the Green/Wright deal with Bath.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 22:29
Great to see homer and Irvine pairing up. Cannot expect too much as it's a new partnership but they can both go through a gap so the back 3 need to run off their shoulders. Wonder if Pete is sleeping better tonight...
Good to see a new prop too

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 10:19
Games on. Looks like it wanted cancelling from the pics on twitter mind.

tomthepom
tomthepom (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 10:21
Cheer up JDH! Well done to the host club I say, and all the best to those heading down from Yorkshire...

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 10:35
That will be just the team bus. More snow forecast here for this afternoon - no guarantee on getting back.

charleyboy
charleyboy (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 10:39
Bedford supporters at work [vimeo.com]

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 10:50
Simple....just cpy Scotland!

Agree approach Almo/JDH

Territory-position-support-patience-phases-intensity-focus-full 80 mins. Hopefully a wee bit of flare and deep pace in attack-nothing stupid!-and no need for 'huge defence'?because we keep possession? No probs!

Bedford never give up!!...only 2 points in at Headingly-remember last few minutes?

We live in hope?

Leeds play a blinder to take 5 points and are ready to thrash Ealing...?

Donny may struggle today.....?

Important game re 'credentials'and table-finish for next season...hopefully there is a next season. Time for a whip round?

We def do not need a bad game against Bedford ahead of Ealing!Hope Jimmy finds the right message

Come on Ye Tykes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No radio this aft...but Donny on air in Cornwall?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 15:14
7 - 0 to Bedford after 5 minutes, then Blues back-rower stretchered off. Hope no more serious injuries, given that the temperature in Bedford is 1 degree (feels like -4), quite amazed that the pitch is in a playable condition.

[EDIT] link to club twitter feed is (rather than me relaying the tweets):

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 15:16 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 15:23
Good job Mr Tempest isn't reffing if the pitch is that hard.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:50
The score don't look good. Be interested to hear where it went wrong.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:53
Final score 41 - 22, we leaked 7 tries.

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:58
Shouldn't be too hard to work out why Bedford won-what they have that we don't? Do we stand much chance of rectifying this ahead of Ealing...or are problems too deep?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:03
I suspect it is all about motivation, and players without a contract for next season playing on the freezing pitch.......
Plus there is little to play for as we are not going to be relegated or promoted.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:16
I think we will struggle next year. Players gone, nothing to play for except relegation . Become an amateur club and let's enjoy our rugby

oopnorth
oopnorth (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:21
Bedford is a hard place to win, even in the best of times.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:34
Also given the circumstances of this game: the players have not been able to train outside all week, it would have been difficult to build-up motivation for this match as I'm sure there was a big suspicion that it would be postponed and the weather/travelling conditions meaning they would play without any away supporters (correct me if I am wrong!).

This has always been a transitional season (half a step backwards to go forwards, as Geech said) and we seem to have difficulty in scoring in the second half of away games.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:29
Or perhaps Bedford were just better!....

With a new half back pairing I wasn't expecting a win here.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:19
With sme of the best players leaving it will be a struggle to stay up and if you were an ambitious player would you want to join a struggling club. Forgetting all the bull @#$%& you may be told .

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 20:00
You have a way with words HT

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 21:31
I always turn up to games within a 50 mile radius. I have watched Leeds play some great and not so great rugby in the past 15 yr.I always hope the best is yet to come? So lets hope we re-group...work out what to do and give my old home Ealing (40 yrs ago) a real thrashing of talent and self belief!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 21:41
Well said

Selby Kev
Selby Kev (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:28
We live in hope! But the maths is getting poor...bloody hell it wasn't 40 it was 55 years ago! Def all need a good win back at home on 18th!!!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:33
A few musings, the backs move the ball side to side without going forward, Homer's lost his spark - though more likely 'found out', Irvine did try to mix it up, back at centre, Pete was tackling like a demon (thank goodness), Stevie did practically the same restart ever time so there was no chance of winning the ball back. The three times he changed it, we won it once and had hands on the other two.

The result is not down to the ref but he was making it up as he went along. Mayhew heard to say that he didn't have a clue what the man said!

At the start of the second half, it looked like we meant business but not came to nothing. Really looks like a case of nothing to play for including each other.

Myerscough our best player yesterday - made loads of ground with little support.

Thank goodness Elder is back next time out, sorely missed for getting the ball moving forward - he won't win it for us though.

Excellent job by Bedford to put the match on and make it comfortable for those who went - all areas of the ground with footfall were totally clear of snow. We also had a very warm welcome and were thanked for going by some Bedford officials.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 09:59
Thanks for the report. Just seen the highlights. Homers pass was pretty slow from the base of the ruck. Taking a step to get it way.
Prob all the reasons above for the defeat. The team just haven't clicked imo. We get glimpses of what they are trying to produce but it would have happened long before now if they could do it. Loads of effort and individual performance but nothing ever consistent and that can be relied on in pressure situations.
What next year's squad will look like is anyone's guess but we need to kick on a little and really look players who are comfortable and can play together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net