rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 15 December, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Coventry Rugby, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Team's Up - Roth
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 12:02
From Offie:

James Lowes has made three changes to his side to face Rotherham Titans in the Greene King IPA Championship this Saturday, kick off 2pm.
Tom Bullough comes into the starting line up for George Watkins, in his first league start for the club. Louis Brown returns on the wing with Pete Lucock reverting to fly half in place of Callum Irvine. James Thraves comes into the front row for Charlie Beech who is named on the bench. Academy star Harry Dunne is named on the bench and could be set to make his debut for the club.
The squad in full is
15. Stevie McColl
14. Tom Bullough
13. Chris Elder
12. Andy Forsyth
11. Louis Brown
10. Pete Lucock
9. Oli Fox
1. James Thraves
2. Mike Mayhew
3. Craig Mitchell
4. Jack Whetton
5. Matt Smith
6. Ben West
7. Richard Mayhew
8. Richard Beck
16. Harry Newborn
17. Charlie Beech
18. Kevin Bryce
19. Elliot Ward
20. Josh Bainbridge
21. Harry Davey
22. Harry Dunne

Good to see Ben West back after being stretchered off last Sunday. There is a 4-day turnaround to the home match with Ealing, I wonder if J-Lo is keeping some of his powder dry for that match?

MESSAGES->author
Re: Team's Up - Roth
Gelbel (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 14:36
I'd thought so - strange having Elder at outside centre.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:38
I hope Mighty Mike Mayhew has been practicing his line throws all week.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:42
Perhaps he should aim for the opposition players, then he might hit ours.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:57
Interesting to see Forsyth at 12.

Where does Harry dunne play?

John R
John R (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 08:28
Elder at 13 may be an inspired selection, he is after all our best back by a mile.

But will he get any ball................?

Grybz
Grybz (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 09:03
I just hope someone has put some studs on Elders boots, how many times did he slip over against Jersey?

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 11:11
Quote:
almostatyke
I hope Mighty Mike Mayhew has been practicing his line throws all week.
He can't hit a barn door with a bucket of bullets so throwing in practice is obviously not coached at YC. He reminds me of a certain British Lion hooker who was also sh!te.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
14 April, 2018 14:53
Not sure about team's up, sounds like they gave up once they thought it was in the bag. Very dispiriting. Now hoping that Hax's tips will bring a change of fortune.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 14:58
Not sure we can blame MMM, but we lost 30 - 26. 2BP but not very good against a team already relegated.

RedcarTyke
RedcarTyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 15:03
Roth must be wishing they played us earlier in season, we could have kicked started their season and saved them from relegation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 15:04 by RedcarTyke.

Scuffer
Scuffer (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:32
Not sure why they took Becky off so early. He didnít look injured so maybe he is being given a bit of rest before the Ealing game but I would have preferred to win today. The defence opened up badly after Luciock limped off and he looked like he had a bad injury as he hobbled off the field at the end. The line out started better but disintegrated and we lost so many scrum penalties. Very disappointing after going 19-3 up Particularly as they also had 2 yellow cards. We threw it away thinking we had it wrapped up. Some of the Rioth fans also said after the game that this was a much better performance from them than they have been used to this season.

MESSAGES->author
14 April, 2018 16:34
Quote:
Albert Fishwick
Not sure about team's up, sounds like they gave up once they thought it was in the bag. Very dispiriting. Now hoping that Hax's tips will bring a change of fortune.

So much for that idea. Took his tip of Anibale Fly but to win and it didn't. Time for a drink, I reckon.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:26
Enjoy your pint, Albert.

Having watched/listened to the three videos made after the game, I think that the Ealing game on Tuesday was on their mind, and once in the lead, players were rested and in general, they took their eye off the ball.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:49
I never got there in the end but very disappointed to lose after 19-3 up.
Who stepped into 10 if Pete went off? How did Forsyth do at 12? Strange scrum was off after it did well against bristol.
It's not the first time we have fallen apart v Roth away. We need some experience for next year in key areas. 8 9 10 and 12 a must for me.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:41
One of the key points I noticed from the videos was the comment from Richard Beck that many players would be leaving /playing their last games.

Who? But we are only the paying punters.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:41
I know I don't look at things with rose colours spectacles like others on here but today was a bad result. Injuries apart, squad sizes etc we should have beaten a relegated side. I read that next season is one of construction of the side with the push the following year.
However if we are to build a side for promotion are players, apart from those just in it for the money, wanting to play for an average championship club which being honest is what we are.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:58
I suspect that it is all a question of motivation - and this includes the coaching staff as well as the players. The game today was played, with all respect to Roth, in a ground with a nice clubhouse and a bit of a stand on one side, but it's like West Park but not as good. We know that many players are not going to get their contracts renewed (though we don't know who exactly) and then there is a more inspiring match on Tuesday night coming up. And all matches are academic as Bristol are promoted, Roth are relegated and all the players can do is play for fun or in search of a contract: and don't get injured!

Full marks to Roth in turning us over, bUt if only there was more to play for.

RedcarTyke
RedcarTyke (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 07:35
Quote:
headingleytyke
I know I don't look at things with rose colours spectacles like others on here but today was a bad result. Injuries apart, squad sizes etc we should have beaten a relegated side. I read that next season is one of construction of the side with the push the following year.
However if we are to build a side for promotion are players, apart from those just in it for the money, wanting to play for an average championship club which being honest is what we are.
can only fully agree with you headingley no excuses for this result, I realise Rotherham often raise their game when they play us but they have been so bad this year we should had at least won if only by the margin they beat us, well played Roth. As regards promotion to the premiership something seismic is going to have happen at headingley when you look at the competition ! the relegated premier team,Ealing with the big cheque book and Wasps second string (Coventry) its going to be tougher than ever to get to the premiership assuming ring fencing hasnt arrived.

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:17
Almo these players are allegedly professionals - the environment shouldn't have made any difference. The biggest difference between Roth and 'Yorkshire' is that Roth are a CLUB. After four years of watching very enjoyable rugby at a lower level I know how important this is.

Redcar, 'Yorkshire' will need a group of investors with the pockets and dedication of Pirates Dickie Evans to build a CLUB to thrive in the Premiership. They really need to set up solid foundations, not a quick crash and burn side.

Miserati - and Proud to be!

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:32
I think a squad clear out would be a good thing imo. Everyone is giving 100% but the combinations are not there so no matter how much you try it isn't going to work. Hence why we have never sorted the same issues out for 2 seasons. We need better players with experience, especially 8 9 10x2 and 12.
There are players I wouldn't want to leave too. I would give beck the armband to next season.

Tassigny74
Tassigny74 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:41
Quote:
Mark_C
Almo these players are allegedly professionals - the environment shouldn't have made any difference. The biggest difference between Roth and 'Yorkshire' is that Roth are a CLUB. After four years of watching very enjoyable rugby at a lower level I know how important this is.
Redcar, 'Yorkshire' will need a group of investors with the pockets and dedication of Pirates Dickie Evans to build a CLUB to thrive in the Premiership. They really need to set up solid foundations, not a quick crash and burn side.

This^^^^^

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:12
Oh dear! A poor result indeed for us but please do not take away any credit from Rotherham!

I agree With MarK C when it comes to "solid foundations". Sadly, I feel this can only be achieved away from Headingley. There is a need to have a strong Premiership or Premiership contender side within Yorkshire. There is and always has been a massive amount of talent waiting to be discovered within the Yorkshire boundaries. Given this, as much as I would like to see any such side play in my City of Leeds, the is no logical reason why this should be so. It could easily be in York, Harrogate or elsewhere in Gods County.

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:50
Can't see any logical reason to move away from one of the best rugby stadiums in one of the biggest cities in the country

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:44
It would be even better if you could generate some income from that great rugby stadium, instead of just paying towards it's upkeep. And it might be nice to have some visible presence there, instead of being tucked away like an embarrassment. Still, if you're happy being a third-rate lodger.....

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:01
If you think we are bad.......Man Unt lost today to West Brom, stuck at the bottom of the table, and.....handing the roundball Premiership title to Manchester City.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:20
Who pays for the new stadium?

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:45
The same money fairy who you expect to pay for a sustainable Premiership side. Of course, if you set your sights lower and went into partnership with a club that has a smaller stadium with the potential to grow you'd be able to develop your brand. If you think you can get to the Premiership under current conditions in the next two years you're deluded, think five at the very least.

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:49
Tadcaster Tykes or Castleford Carnegie. mmm.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:50
It would be great to have our own ground but chances of finding people with another 40mil plus over the cash needed for a prem push and then staying there would be slim to none I guess.
Going into partnership with another team with a smaller ground could be an option if we are out of a ring fenced league. We just seem to be stuck on the idea of staying at HC which I can understand as it's a great stadium thats getting better.
I wonder if our backers would ever have the option of buying into HC?

MESSAGES->author
Mark_C (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:35
Another useful sneering riposte Yorkie Ba - care to say something constructive? How about Harrogate or York? Harrogate has a new ground with plenty of room for expansion, York is in thr process, finally, of building a 6k stadium which can be expanded.

JDH buying into Carnegie to get a share of the income stream would be a start, but the cost would be prohibitive. Headingley will be a great stadium but is too big for the 5k you'd probably get in the Premiership. Unless the club is getting a peppercorn stadium rental.

Of course, if there is a few bob floating about, it could be invested in bringing in a Dream Team Yorkshire coaching setup of DOR Stuart Lancaster and Head Coach Lee Blackett. Now that would probably raise a great deal of interest in the county, as both are highly rated. Or would you want a failed England coach Yorkie Ba?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 23:19
Teeming up with another club in the Yorkshire region would be an option. Also a sugar daddy with plenty of money and ambition for the Club would be handy. All of the premiership clubs are owned by a single person or a partnership of two, we on the other hand, are owned by a multitude. Brexit has shown how difficult it is for all partners to unite. Teaming up would be to enhance the futures of the club rather than liquidate the assets of a club as happened with Headingley and Roundhay. We have no right to be in the Premiership. Our current management seem to think it is ok to have a two year plan where we consolidate one year and make a push for Premiership the next year. And, if that does not work, then hopefully the men in grey suits at HQ will come calling as and when or if the Premiership is expanded to 14. A good plan? Well it has not worked for the last how many years!?

Something needs to change. And soon. Before the Club ceases to exist altogether!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:14
Quote:
Bobba

Something needs to change. And soon. Before the Club ceases to exist altogether!

Agreed. But a change of playing venue - whether we "owned" it or not - is a medium- to long-term project. I do not understand why we are confusing two issues:

1) How to get into the Premiership
2) Long-term sustainability

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:49
Not confused at all!

All to do with long term sustainability.

2 Year plans will never achieve that!

Almo, you worked in the building trade. You crated from the ground up! We over the last 10 years have been working from on high towards the ground. How low do we have to go before someone realizes that we are as just about as low as we can get!

Get Real!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 17:57 by Bobba.

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:18
Well said Bobba

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net