rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 18 August, KO 15:00, Darlington Mowden Park v Yorkshire Carnegie, Northern Echo Arena

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Tour de Yorkshire
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 20:04
The Tour de Yorkshire international cycling race starts tomorrow and it is being transmitted on ITV4 for those who cannot get to the carnival. Yours truly is marshalling on Friday and Sunday; sadly I am a bit too long in the tooth to actually ride it, or the related sportive activities.
It promises to be a true festival of everything that Yorkshire can offer, especially as the weather is turning in our favour.
Anyone on Old Pool Bank ( Friday) or Arthington Bank/Black Rock Road on Sunday, if you see me in my white "Tourmakers" coat, please come up and say hello.

Even if you have not ridden a bike since school days, this promises to be a real festival for Yorkshire and a great international stage for God's County.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Tour de Yorkshire
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 20:57
Yep, agree 100% Almo. It's getting bigger every year and is now the UKs biggest cycling event generatng far more interest than the tour of Britain imho. It's slowly starting to attract he big name riders as well. Cavendish and Van Avaermat this year amongst others.

I've been every year so far and this year it's passing through Leeming so hats where I'll be.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 21:48
And if you live on the route all the pot holes and dodgy bits of road get fixed. Marvellous

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 13:13
Entertaining first stage of the womens' race this morning and nice to see it happen under sunny skies. A very creditable 8th place in the final sprint for Abby-Mae Parkinson, who went to Bradford Grammar.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 20:35
Looked like a fairly good stage today having just watched the highlights. The 'will they won't they' finish was thrilling.

Fantastic to see a Yorkshireman take the stage and, of course, the first leaders jersey, and for a conti team as well. Well done Harry Tanfield.

Good luck for tomorrow Almo

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 21:25
Thanks or your encouragement, LT, though I won't personally be going for the King of the Mountains title!
Today's stage was meant to be a Cav win, sadly he doesn't seem to have recovered enough from his serious accident yet - hopefully he will fare better on Saturday.
Tomorrow should be an excellent day of cycling in good weather in the brilliant Yorkshire countryside. My tip is Greg Avenmaert, as this stage is similar to the Tour of Flanders, with lots of short, sharp hills.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 21:56
Quote:
almostatyke
Today's stage was meant to be a Cav win, sadly he doesn't seem to have recovered enough from his serious accident yet - hopefully he will fare better on Saturday.

We didn't get to find out as the peloton misjudged the conditions and the breakaway did enough to stay away.

Do you reckon Van Avaermat can win win by enough to defend it to the end?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 08:40
Quote:
leemingtyke
Do you reckon Van Avaermat can win win by enough to defend it to the end?

Yes. Winning today will be the hard bit, if he does that he is a classy rider who should be able to control the attacks IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
04 May, 2018 08:55
He had a pretty average classics season and must be ready for a break so I'm not sure where he will figure today.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 12:54
He only does the early Flemish classics, missing the later Ardennes classics so has already had a rest.

MESSAGES->author
04 May, 2018 17:27
Except for this year, when he raced Amstel Gold, so he''s only had a couple of weeks off.

MESSAGES->author
04 May, 2018 17:45
Anyway, he wasn't far off!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 20:36
Absolutely right, Albert, if he had listened to me and not done Amstel he would be in the blue jersey now!
Greg would never survive the climbs (30+) of the Amstel course, whereas today's parcours was more his cup of tea.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 22:08
Another good stage today, first hilltop finish keenly contested.

Richmond to Scarbados tomorrow passing through the defacto capital of Gods county, I am of course talking about Leeming Bar, where yours truly will be firmly in place outside the Corner House public house.

Bring it on

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 09:26
Watching the TdY is thirsty work, especially with the mercury heading north of 22 deg C, best not wander too far from a source of refreshment, LT!

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 09:42
My thoughts exactly Almo.

Beer related safety first!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcXPy6VW0AMNFTZ.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2018 12:16 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 13:12
And I am on Tour Maker duty tomorrow in Pateley Bridge when its going to be warmer still!!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:10
Enjoy your day, BL!

I will be on Arthington Bank, with my white coat and blue cap, "Tourmaking" what is called the cote de Black Hill. It is the last hill & sprint of the race so could well be significant.

My money is still on Van the man.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:55
Almo. You weren't the one on day 2 that sent the leading group the wrong way? I seem to recognize the loop taken from a walk we did some time ago! Mind you I could be wrong.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 22:15
Cracking day today.

Glorious sunshine, the Baa Baa was spot on, watched the race go by then walked into Bedale to watch the rest on the big screen in the park. This really is an outstanding event.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2018 22:32 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 09:25
Quote:
Bobba
Almo. You weren't the one on day 2 that sent the leading group the wrong way? I seem to recognize the loop taken from a walk we did some time ago! Mind you I could be wrong.

I think the organisers had already contacted you and WW and have decided that I did not have the qualifications to be a "flag and whistle" man, so I am a mere "Tourmaker" and keep my hi-vis in the bag.

So not guilty, M'Lord.

(Sm29)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 10:00
Just checking.(Sm156)

Have a good day today. Should be a cracker. Feel sorry for the riders though. Far too warm for the toughest stage of the Tour and far to warm for Yorkshire.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 11:48
Don't feel sorry for the riders, it's hot for us but nothing like the Tour of Italy in Israel, or the Tour de France in the July Alpine heat.
Also, I am sure anyone doing 9 - 5 in a factory or office would swap for a career in the fresh air doing something they love.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 14:44
Another correction from Almo! Hand has been slapped!

Disappointed in the TV coverage in that it decided to take a commercial break just as the tour was about to pass WW's pad. Would have loved to see what was cooking on the barbecue!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 14:50
Apart from that. What a superb stage, showing all that is the best of Yorkshire, from the industrial heritage to the superb Yorkshire countryside.

A comment was past in the commentary that there are probably more stones in Yorkshire's dry stone walls than in the Great Wall of China!

A stage that can rival any stage anywhere in the world! With crowds to match!

MESSAGES->author
06 May, 2018 15:06
Certainly a sight more interesting than watching the Giro flog through the Negev desert.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 15:58
Interestingly in the 711km of the total distance of the TdY there are some 7.800 meters of ascent. Day 4 accounts for 3.400 of the total. Wow!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 17:21
David Millar said on commentary that Stephane Rossetto's win today was one of the greatest breakaway rides he's ever seen....anywhere!

What a great last stage of a great event.

MESSAGES->author
06 May, 2018 20:08
And mystic Almo was bang on the money.

A heck of a stage, managed to see them whizz by Lawnswood cemetery. Amazing solo effort by Rossetto.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 20:58
With me winning a car for catching the ball and predicting successfully Greg Van the Man, I am so rich that.......I could only wish I had put money on it.
If only I knew as much about rugby?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:10
The "Tourmaker" experience has left me in two places. The first, when there were professional yellow-shirt officials, sort of felt like we were superfluous to requirements. But today was great, Cote de Blackhill, with a sprint line and inflatable "Yorkshire" Y's, erected by seasoned French Tour de France guys, meant that I could act as liaison/translator and it worked very well.
Having just seen the highlights on ITV4 I could only say that it was even better than I thought.

Anyone reading this who is not from Yorkshire - then the weather is like this all the time - honest!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 20:37
[www.youtube.com]

That was not you, BL, I presume?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 10:32
A lucky, lucky man!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 12:21
Bloody Hell, do they have a driving test in Kazakhstan?

I don't think the following emoji has ever been more apt(Sm124)!

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:03
Just seen on Twitter, the guy driving that Astana car has landed himself a 50 day driving ban and been made to deliver company road safety presentations.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 20:20
Lucky he was not disciplined to the normal driving laws of the country in which the event took place (Dangerous Diving?). But if you watch cycling on TV you see cycling team drivers (director sportives) doing all sorts of stuff not normally allowed on the road, e.g. watching TV whilst driving.
There is of course a need for balance here, the motorised vehicles are either part of the operation , press who bring money into what is otherwise a free event or VIP hangers-on who financially participate.

MESSAGES->author
22 May, 2018 06:08
He was also fined 5,000 Swiss francs, which is pretty chunky by UCI standards. I wouldn't rule out further action here, whether by way of prosecution or civil action by the marshal concerned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net