rugbyunion
Latest News:

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
O/T Cycling
almostatyke (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:23
Well our season has ended a bit earlier than usual because there are no play-offs. Really good that the players get a significant rest period and a time to have surgery, if required, on those nagging injuries.
However, we need to keep this forum going to the exciting season starting later this year and cycling seems a suitable official unofficial sport to get us there.
We already have the Tour de Yorkshire, not really O/T as has anyone ever heard of the Tour of Saracens or Tour de Leicester?

So continuing the cycling theme, yesterday the Tour of Italy started: however it started in Israel (well the Tour de France started here?). Hot flat stages will no doubt be replaced by decisive mountain stages in due course.

Bobba
Re: O/T Cycling
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 May, 2018 21:57
Day 6 is when I understand the climbing starts.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 20:52
Thanks Bobba - trust you will keep us up-to-date?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 20:56
This years Giros a bit like condensed milk - it'll do if you've run out of the real thing #TDY!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 21:06
Without wishing to offend anyone, the TdY really showed how it should be done and no amount of organisation or enthusiastic crowds can make hot, flat desert cycle racing attractive. Hope in future that Israel sticks to the Eurovision Song Contest in its bit to be part of Europe.
Full marks to the Tour of Italy in trying to spreading the sport, but I think this was a wrong step. I'm sure many spectators turned off the TV until the end sprint, as I did.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 10:19
According to Look North this morning moves are being made to bring La Vuelta to Yorkshire! Could the Giro follow suit?

John R
John R (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:50
Lets get one here first Bobba!

The TdY was a fantastic event yet again. Superb organisation (apart from a couple of navigation hoolies) and massive crowds, over 2.5 million I have seen somewhere.

If the Vuelta is coming, as seems quite likely, then that would get the really top guys here again. Makes an interesting close season dalliance from the rugby.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 16:14
Seems us Brits should now be cheering for Simon Yates not Chris' froome, though he is a lanky lad.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 16:50
Was thinking that myself the other day Almo, when Yates took the leaders jersey. Most of the UK coverage concentrated on where Froome finished!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:31
Fantastic win for Yates yesterday. He looks strong as does his team! SKY, a poor showing, in keeping with their effort in Yorkshire!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 09:53
Todays stage in the Giro is the time trial. Will S Yates have sufficient time in hand over his rivals to retain the leaders jersey? I suspect that he will. Looking forward to the day.

Also Fridays stage look to be interesting. An 18km climb at 9% with the last 9km on a gravel road! Mountain bikes at the ready!? A very hard day. Yates to excel!

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 18:55
Looking good now, but one bad day for Yates could be enough. Could be a hectic start tomorrow with an early climb on what ought to end up as a sprinters' day.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 09:23
Yates had a bad day yesterday and has lost half his lead on a hill that looked relatively benign. Needs a good day today.

She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 11:12
Watching Yates' interview after he won the stage before the TT, I thought he may've gone too deep then and chasing Froome on the Zoncolan the day before. He did ok with the TT but maybe he's paying the price now. Really hope he can hold on.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 16:26
Wow!!! What a performance by Froome! (Sm152) All apparently down to cycling on rough tracks in Africa! Now leads the Giro by 40secs. Well done! (Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 16:42
No exaggeration to say that was one of the greatest sporting performances you'll ever see.

Home early from work and it was a privilege to see it.

What an athlete, what a competitor

#froomedog

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 17:12
Sadly the Young Pretender had a very bad day but The Master, Froome, showed how to race in the third week of a Grand Tour.

She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 06:08
I also felt lucky to be able to watch it all unfold yesterday. It's a shame, but not a surprise, that so many were instantly querying the validity of Froome's performance. I just hope he can make it stick today. I'm sure Sky will be attentive to any ambushes in the long flat section but it will hinge on Froome's recovery overnight. They will miss Kirienka but at least the rest of the team could take it easy for the second half of yesterday's stage.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 12:47
Can't help but think that Simon Yates' team, Mitchelson-Scott, have missed a trick here. After all he has an identical twin, Adam, of similar ability, who would have had fresh legs..........

(Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 22:27
Chris Froome is now only the third person ever to hold all three grand tour titles at the same time.

I think that says it all really.

What an achievement.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 14:46
......however, the achievement may be disqualified if sanctioned for his asthma inhaler use. I hope not and I further hope that the case is sorted, one way or another, before the Tour de France starts.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:33
Quote:
almostatyke
......however, the achievement may be disqualified if sanctioned for his asthma inhaler use. I hope not and I further hope that the case is sorted, one way or another, before the Tour de France starts.

Yeah let's hope so. The longer it's allowed to roll on, the more damaging it is to the sport. Some people on social media think he shouldn't have been allowed to start the Giro.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 16:44
This BBC article on Chris Froomes mesmerising and decisive stage 19 win at the Giro is absolutely fascinating (if you like that sort of thing, obviously!)

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 09:52
It is currently the alpine critorium du dauphine, with team sky well positioned following the team time trial. This is effectively a dress rehearsal for the tour dear France.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net