rugbyunion
Latest News:

Saturday 18 August, KO 15:00, Darlington Mowden Park v Yorkshire Carnegie, Northern Echo Arena

Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
This site has NO affiliation to Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.
Ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online.
Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.

MESSAGES->author
Lowes's left...
Gelbel (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 08:51
From t'offy

Yorkshire Carnegie have confirmed that Head Coach James Lowes has left the club by mutual agreement with immediate effect.

Lowes re-joined the club two years ago as assistant to Bryan Redpath before becoming Head Coach again last summer.

A former Great Britain Rugby league international, Lowes enjoyed an impressive debut season in 2013-14 with Carnegie in his first Head Coach role in Rugby Union creating an exciting brand of rugby for home supporters.

He was tempted back to League to take up the helm at his former club Bradford Bulls, where he had won every honour as a player, however, he returned to Yorkshire Carnegie in 2016 as assistant to Bryan Redpath and took over the reins last season from the former Scotland international.

Carnegie finished sixth last season in the Greene King IPA Championship and Lowes and the club have now decided to part company ahead of the start of pre-season for the new campaign.

Newly appointed Director of Rugby Chris Stirling will lead the rugby side of the business moving ahead with Forwards Coach Steve Boden promoted to Head Coach for the new season.

Commenting on the decision Lowes said, “I would like to thank the staff, players and supporters at Yorkshire Carnegie for their efforts during my time in charge. I have had two very enjoyable years since coming back to the club and will always keep an interest in the team. I was proud of the players last season for what they achieved in tough circumstances at times and I wish them all the very best for next season.”

Director of Rugby Chris Stirling added, “On behalf of everyone connected with Yorkshire Carnegie, I would like to thank Jimmy for his commitment and dedication to the club throughout both his spells here. Our preparations for a big campaign in the Greene King IPA Championship season are well underway now and we are looking forward to that challenge.”

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2018 09:46 by Wildwillie .

MESSAGES->author
Re: Lowes's left...
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 09:29
Presumably J-Lo didn't get on with Chris Stirling?

yorkie ba
yorkie ba (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 11:01
Did anyone else notice he was sat with Catalan coach Steve McNamara for their game against Huddersfield on Thursday night.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 11:42
Oooh, I missed that Yorkie!

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 11:43
Quote:
almostatyke
So why now and not at the end the season?

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 12:19
Quote:
Gelbel
Quote:
almostatyke
So why now and not at the end the season?

Think it was in that YP interview that Chris Stirling said he was just about to start speaking to Jimmy an Steve Boden about the way forward. Guess Jimmy either didn't like what he heard or didn't like not being the main man again.

Either way I loved Jimmy's no nonsense style with the media and wish him all the best.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:07
He does like being the main man which, again has me asking why not at the end of the season?

Unless he was waiting for an opportunity (while being paid)?

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:12
I have never been a big fan of J-Lo. The writing was on the wall when all the new forwards said they were looking forward to working with Bo & failing to mention Jimmy.. Also Stirling 's wording in his interview was quite guarded.

Big opportunity for Steve Boden. I think he will rise to the occasion.

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:35
Wish Jimmy all the best. If they can get Steve the right people around him it could be a good move. We didn't hear move from Jimmy back end of the season did we?
Got to trust in Stirling and hope the club support him in pushing us on.
Any names for an offensive/backs coach?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:44
The Widnes RL Head Coach position is currently vacant: Francis Cummins is "interim boss".

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 15:51
Perhaps they threatened to cut his lager allocation!

Boden is going to be a busy lad.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 19:38
Yeah, I never like to see a bloke lose his job and I really liked the way Jimmy responded to a question with a straight answer. The attacking rugby we played in his first spell was sublime at times.

This certainly isn't the end of the world though. He, along with every other Head Coach we've had since relegation, has conspicuously failed to instil that hard, professional edge to the squad which, imho, would've seen us promoted the year we played Welsh in the semis.

As I said before I wish Jimmy all the best, but change is a good thing in this case I think.

North needs success
05 June, 2018 07:51
Never been a Jimmy fan I'm afraid. As I said at the time, on the first occassion he became head coach he inherited a squad from Diccon Edwards that was ready to go places anyway. Just a shame DE wasn't allowed allowed to finish the job. I'd take indifferent man management any day over what we have had since.

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 08:06
I see we made Look North last night - with very old film footage of Jimmy with Seb Stegman and Christian Georgiou. (Sm145)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 15:13
Gareth's discussing the departure on wys at 6 tonight.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 16:07
Good luck to J.Lo. Not really surprised at his departure. Perhaps it's time to sign a Head Coach with pedigree?

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:47
Where has Gareth got the budget info from? Down from 1.4m to 800k?
Coaching needs bolstering. It was too light last season.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 07:10
Ouch! If that figure is true, then we have spent up already! Surely can't be correct... or is it?

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 07:35
By the way, if anyone wants to have a listen to the interview with Gareth Jones it is currently available at Radio Leeds, West Yorkshire Sports Daily (05-06-18. The interview starts at 33mins into the hour long programme. (sorry, I don't know how to do the linky bit).

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 07:54
Fulsome praise for J-Lo from Gareth who is very critical of the board. He has high hopes for Chris Stirling if the board find the money to mount a push for promotion.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 16:08
[mobile.twitter.com]

Good interview with Boden (if link works). Details more on coaching setup and says budget far less..... board need to come good at some point though hey!

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 20:16
Stirling will oversee the backs & Scott Barrow will help.

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 08:49
Saying ilkley coach involved too and other academy coaches.
Interesting season ahead I would think a top 4 finish is the very best that can be hoped for. Pressure is off them in that respect but I hope we have more ambitious plans in 12 months.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 15:04
Top half is probably achievable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net