rugbyunion
Latest News:
Friday 28 September, KO 19:45 Jersey Red v Yorkshire Carnegie, St Peter's
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
O/T TDF 2018
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 16:28
So this year's TDF shenanigans seem to have kicked off early with the ASO seemingly ready to prevent Chris Froome from starting the race only to have the rug pulled from under them at the last minute by the UCI.

Personally I'm glad that saga's over and Froome has been cleared. The reception he gets from the roadside 'support' may now be even less friendly than usual though.

MESSAGES->author
Re: O/T TDF 2018
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 21:20
I wouldn't be surprised if he's knocked off on Alpe d'Huez or some other congested climb.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 07:06 by Albert Fishwick.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 23:02
Unfortunately Albert, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

I think the main loser in this is WADA whose tests have been shown to be inadequate more than once. Where do they go from here?

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 July, 2018 20:47
This year the TdF has had to take a back seat to the World Cup, especially with France looking the favourites to win.
However.... see mark Cavendish's review of the race:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 10:31
Not too much to comment on in the opening few stages. Froome has hit the deck once - standard.
Gaviria seems to be establishing himself as the new sprint king.
Merckx's record is starting to look like it might be just out of reach for Cavendish, unfortunately.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
17 July, 2018 21:32
The Tour has really opened up now. Beautiful countryside today in Haut savoie, a region I know very well, and I have cycled many of the miles covered today.
The Tour de Yorkshire winner, Van Avermaet, showed his courage by keeping the yellow journey for another day, wearing the yellow jersey with pride. However.... Greg is a supreme one day racer and will be unlikely to keep up the alpine effort for two consecutive days IMHO.

The race is now on!

(Sm146)

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 19:48
Great day today. What a ride from Geraint Thomas.

On rider not many have mentioned so far, but who I think is looking ominous, is Vincenzo Nibali. He looked in awesome form at Milan San Remo and has been very quiet since. He is quietly up to 4th.

Whether he can live with the combined strength of Team Sky is the question.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 21:46
Oh, and while I'm at it....

A word for Mark Cavendish, a rider who gets some stick on social media for his cocky personality.

He finished on his own over an hour behind everyone else today, missing the time cut by some distance.

But he finished; out of respect for the race he finished.

A class act. Chapeau, as they say in cycling.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 20:33
Today was an excellent day in the soap saga that is the Tour de France.
Firstly Cavendish was unable to start as he was too late for the time limit yesterday, "hors delai". Then as the high mountains unfolded today, there were three more top sprinters unable to maintain a pace that would get them to the finish line within the time limit. Not many recognised sprinters are left.
Before you think these sprinters were a bit soft, bear in mind that the alpine climbs are on another scale from any hill in the UK. Think Holme Moss X 10 but covered three times.

But back to the front of the race: Geraint Thomas won a sprint at the top of the final mountain (the legendary Alpe d'Huez) to win his second consecutive stage and this time he won it in the yellow jersey.

Lots ad lots of soap-opera drama to come, I am sure.

Next couple of days are "transitional" so probably best watching the ITV4 7 o'clock highlights, but after that the Pyrenees!

(Sm146)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2018 12:42 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
19 July, 2018 22:02
Yeah, brilliant day again today.

My tip from yesterday, Vincenzo Nibali, hugely unlucky to get tangled up between a fan and a motorcycle when looking really strong.

As Almo says, lots to come

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
20 July, 2018 21:54
Sadly Nibali was injured more seriously than it appeared at the time and is now out with a broken vertebrae. Today was a chance for the "B" list sprinters but the old fox, Sagan, beat them all.
More sagas tomorrow for sure.

MESSAGES->author
21 July, 2018 07:59
Tough second half to today's stage, though Sagan might hang on. I find myself in Amiens, but unfortunately a week too late for the race.

Sad to see that my fears about the crowd's attitude to Froome were realised but pleased that the idiot didn't manage to knock him off his bike. The Pyrenees generally have more cycling fans and fewer drunken idiots but I suppose anything is possible this year.

It's disappointing that Thomas is also getting the bird from the crowd. I think the big problem for the French fans, or a subset at least, is that they haven't managed to win their own race for more than thirty years. That it is the perfidious "anglo-saxones" who are now succeeding just rubs salt in the wound.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 18:10
Enjoy Picardy, Albert.

(Sm153)

I do not think that Froome, Thomas or Team Sky in general are too worried about the crowd reaction, provided they are not physically knocked off their bike. I think it increases the focus of the team ("us against the world") though it devalues the very race that the fans have spent a lot of time and effort to watch.

Ironic that bad fan action has helped take out Nibali, the main attacker of Team Sky (on his bike, not physically or verbally!).

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 13:54
I think the behavior of "fans" towards Froome and Thomas, and Froome in particular is nothing short of disgraceful. There seems to be a distinct lack of "crowd control" this year in France. Barriers are in place in the last stages of each days race but nothing is in place at pinch points on the course. I think that at these points "fans" should be excluded affording the riders protection. Fans have every right to watch in safety, and watching in safety and that can quite easily be done in wider sections of the course rather than at pinch points. Police and Tour marshals and officials have a role to play here.

Nibali has been badly injured by the bad behavior of "fans". How long before "fans" cause something more serious. At the moment being showered by water or urine may be shrugged off, the odd push or shove is tolerated or ignored, but why should it. Come on, get your act together TDF!

If you can't, bring the tour in totality to Yorkshire. Great knowledgeable fans, great scenery, great atmosphere, ang great respect for the riders.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 14:03
Before you think these sprinters were a bit soft, bear in mind that the alpine climbs are on another scale from any hill in the UK. Think Holme Moss X 10 but covered three times

(Sm146)[/quote]

Fair comment. But. Whilst the big climbs in the Alps are long and arduous, they are gradual with tougher ramps in the region of 12%. Now, Holme Moss is relievedly a short climb by comparison, but, on the other hand, 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 translates to 33% an 25% respectively. A considerably more difficult proposition, me thinks!

No doubt, more facts and fiures will follow from Almo to show that I'm talking rubbish!

I await with interest!

MESSAGES->author
22 July, 2018 14:40
There is only so much the organisers can do - Alpe d'Huez is 13km bottom to top, if you put barriers in one area the troublemakers will go somewhere else.

There is a massive security operation for the Tour and it gets bigger every year. Prudhomme has said this thuggery is unacceptable, even the French TV commentators have said so but these few idiots are cloth-eared. At least they are identifying a few and dealing with them.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 17:32
It's ironic that the idiots who try and lay hands on Chris Froome have taken out one of probably two or three riders who could've mounted a serious challenge to his dominance of this event. Nibali was looking in awesome form imho.

I agree with Albert that I don't think there is much more that the ASO can do. What these dumbasses are doing has nothing to to do with drugs cheats as no Sky rider has been found to be doping. They just hate Sky.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 19:32
[/quote]

Fair comment. But. Whilst the big climbs in the Alps are long and arduous, they are gradual with tougher ramps in the region of 12%. Now, Holme Moss is relievedly a short climb by comparison, but, on the other hand, 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 translates to 33% an 25% respectively. A considerably more difficult proposition, me thinks!

No doubt, more facts and fiures will follow from Almo to show that I'm talking rubbish!

I await with interest![/quote]

Your point is valid, Bobba: the climbs in the UK suit "punchy" riders such as Greg Van Avermaet (who won the TdYourshire of course), whereas the longer climbs cannot be sprinted up, they require a different type of rider and physique.

MESSAGES->author
22 July, 2018 20:49
Or a motor!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 21:17
The Pyrenean action is living up to expectations, with some exciting stuff.

Now looks like Geraint Thomas is the unqualified leader of Sky as Froome seems to be paying for his efforts in the Tour of Italy and has slipped to third place. But do not discount this old fox just yet!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
28 July, 2018 22:15
This has been the best Tour de France I can remember (and I have seen quite a few). The first week, which entails the necessary flat sprint stages, was partially masked by the World Cup, then there was the cobbles, the mountains etc.

Congrats to Geraint Thomas, deservedly in a winning position, but Chris Froome, clearly feeling the exhaustion of the Tour of Italy held his head high and has a hard fought third place.

Watching the ITV4 coverage, it looked as though Froome had won today's time trial, as Demoulin came in 1 second slower. It almost seemed like someone pushed the "nudge" button, because, suddenly Chris' time gained two seconds meaning that DuMoulin won instead.

MESSAGES->author
29 July, 2018 06:28
That was frustrating but on replay you can see that Froome's clock stopped before he crossed the line so I'm sure they got it right in the end. Pleased to see him back on the podium anyway, even if it might mean some noises off during the presentations.

Really pleased for Thomas, who always seemed destined to be a nearly-man. Bit of a conundrum for Sky next year; you csn hardly stop the champion seeking to defend his title but I'm sure Froome will still want a fifth win and will focus solely on the Tour.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 09:44
Maybe one way of solving that conundrum would be to allow Froome to have a go at some of the spring classics to round out his palmares.

Think there are those on the continent who won't consider him a true great until he's at least had a good go at the monuments.

MESSAGES->author
29 July, 2018 11:03
Not really his kind of race, though I would like to see him have a go at Liège-Bastogne-Liège.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 11:10
Why not the Autumn classics? Lombardy could suit him.

MESSAGES->author
29 July, 2018 14:47
Just can't see why he would want to try when Sky have so many other riders better suited. Vuelta, possibly, the Worlds if the course suits, otherwise feet up in Monaco or SA. He won't even have to trek to Japan this year to show off the yellow jersey for ASO.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
29 July, 2018 16:40
Think it starts to be about legacy when they get to a certain point Albert.
I think Vincenzo Nibali will be seen as a greater rider than Chris Froome by many because, even though he has won less Grand Tours, he has won them all but also has a Milan Sanremo and Lombardy on his palmares.

MESSAGES->author
30 July, 2018 06:31
To the knowledgeable fans and cycling press you may be right, but I suspect Froome couldn't care less, especially if he manages to come back and win a 5th Tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net