rugbyunion
Latest News:
Friday 28 September, KO 19:45 Jersey Red v Yorkshire Carnegie, St Peter's
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

sm123sm
Otley Preseason
sm123sm (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 11:48
Otley Rugby club website confirming pre-season fixture on 11/08 at Otley not sure if this will be reserves or first team with them being Nat 2 north

[www.pitchero.com]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Otley Preseason
almostatyke (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 11:54
Reserves?????? We have hardly got a first team!

(Sm132)

sm123sm
sm123sm (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 11:58
Thats true maybe a recruiting ground as Otley have 2 teams and a good academy system we play starting with their 2nd team vs their under 11s

leeds_shark
leeds_shark (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:56
More telling is they have us listed as Leeds Carnegie - something we don't know about winking smiley

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 15:06
Should our pre season games be a bit stronger to test how good the squad is. Remember the begining of last season being savaged by London scottish

sm123sm
sm123sm (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 16:32
Quote:
headingleytyke
Should our pre season games be a bit stronger to test how good the squad is. Remember the begining of last season being savaged by London scottish

I agree with that, wouldnt harm playing Bath or similar again to test the players.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 19:14
Comes up most years this.

A couple of seasons ago Bryan Redpath, I think?, arranged a couple of friendlies against Premiership opposition and we got beat.

Some people on here didn't like that and thought we should be playing teams we can beat easily so we can pretend it's all good.

Personally, I'd start with one or two easy ones to test the plays/partnerships out then put it to the test with a final friendly against high profile opposition at Headingley.

leeds_shark
leeds_shark (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 06:52
Quote:
leemingtyke
Comes up most years this.
A couple of seasons ago Bryan Redpath, I think?, arranged a couple of friendlies against Premiership opposition and we got beat.

Some people on here didn't like that and thought we should be playing teams we can beat easily so we can pretend it's all good.

Personally, I'd start with one or two easy ones to test the plays/partnerships out then put it to the test with a final friendly against high profile opposition at Headingley.

I would agree with this, and I think we would get a decent premiership team over. Given the back line they have now got - Sale would be a good draw, especially as I bet you would get a few of their fines making the short trip (yes I am slightly biased in this view as I grew up over that way following them!)

Living in Leeds - supporting both Carnegie & Sharks

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 10:14
I think a mix of opposition is best

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 10:45
After last seasons pre season shambles lets be thankful we have some at least

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 18:50
The news from the Offie is that the "warm-up" game has been cancelled (IMHO it is already warm enough) but the friendly goes ahead starting 3.00 p.m. Saturday. Free admission and a BBQ after the game promised.
Looking forward and will check the X84 bus timetable!

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:25
Just don't get the X85 or you will end up queueing on Pool Bank for yonks.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:19
Thanks for your advice Albert, I will stick with the X84, £4-30 day rider return. Avoiding Pool Bank.
Probably cheaper than the parking in Otley on a market day.

MESSAGES->author
07 August, 2018 23:18
Certainly more conducive to profiting from Otley's many fine boozers. By the way, if you use the First bus ticket app a day rider can be had for a mere £4.10. You can also buy a carnet of five single tickets for the equivalent of £1.85 each so if you aren"t planning to switch buses mid-stream that's cheaper still.

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 23:29
Better still get a £5 Ticket with First that allows 5 adults to travel along with 3 u5s per adult. Allows you to travel on any WY First bus.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:04
Cheaper still, there are some...er… mature, posters on this forum who can travel free!

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
08 August, 2018 11:49
Given how they keep moving the target I think I will have dropped off the twig before joining the ranks of the twirlies.

FrostM
FrostM (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 10:08
Hi all , Is there any news on what the squad is to play against Otley

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:44
For a Saturday game, normally the club announce the squad at Friday lunchtime.

Wouldn't expect too much information from the club as the Rhinos have an important game Saturday afternoon at Headingley.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 18:00
Info from the offie:

[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 18:56
Quote:
FrostM
Hi all , Is there any news on what the squad is to play against Otley

Hopefully your lad will be involved! (Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 19:06
For what it is worth, the final score was Carnegie 27 Otley 7, after Otley lead, against the run of play, 7-5 at half time.

Slightly surreal in that many Otley faces were more familiar than our own team! Old boys Joe Graham and Tom Casson started the game; I am terrible at recognising faces so I am sure others can come up with more.

I think we had Maro Itoje's young brother playing lock for us as a ringer.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 19:20
Report on the offie:

Sorry I missed Oli Goss, he did well for us at Carnegie, I was sorry to see him go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 19:36 by almostatyke.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 19:57
Otley played very well. Was Goss playing? Didn't notice him. We looked like a team that hadn't played together and probably hadn't.

First game but both big locks looked average and Otleys pack held there own. Only fitness told in the last 15 mins or so.

Though there 15 was the stand out player. Would we have seen more of a first team if the academy game was on? I suspect it will be more like the 1st team v Mowden P.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
12 August, 2018 10:35
Man of the match for me was the no nonsense referee. If that continues throuout the season, it should be a good one.

Agree about the Otley no 15, both of them.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 09:42
Highlights on the offie:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net