rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 15 December, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Coventry Rugby, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
O/T (part) - Leeds Rhinos
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 19:58
We (Carnegie) are in a period of calm, as acknowledged by Almo in another post, but not too far from home there is much ado in the other part of Emerald Headingley that is League territory.

There has been the recent departure of an accepted coach of some stature, as far as the Rhinos are concerned, followed by the appointment of a new coaching team. One feature of the new regime, putting aside the temporary nature of Jimmy Lowe's appointment, is the divesting of some of Gary Hetherington's previous role within the organisation. Kevin Sinfield will apparently take on these divested areas in an attempt to try and create a new era of success for the Rhino's. To dampen any enthusiasm created by the arrival of the new team there are rumours emanating from various sources which should create some concern for those interested in the playing fortunes of the team as we enter this new dawn. They relate to some of the established players and their potential for leaving the club at the end of this season when out of contract.

Next season will see the availability of a superb, brand new stadium which will be the envy of Super League, but will we have a team set up to match it?

MESSAGES->author
Re: O/T (part) - Leeds Rhinos
almostatyke (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 08:24
With regard to your last point, BL, it would not be good for two second-tier rugby teams to play at such a marvellous stadium.
Has the cost of the stadium drained some of the Rhinos salary budget, I wonder?

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 14:40
They haven's started paying for it yet!

Just announced a kiwi half-back for next season so I don't think they are in the same cloth-cutting boat as us just yet.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 08:17
First win for the Rhinos under Sir Kev.

Hurrah!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 17:24
Sadly Rhinos are now confirmed as members of the "middle 8", where they must fight it out with 4 Championship teams to avoid relegation.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 18:30
Toronto, Toulouse, Broncos and Halifax!

Sir Kev will not have it easy,

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 19:27
Only Toronto definite as there is another week to go and its tight for positions two to six!

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
23 July, 2018 09:32
thumbs down

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
23 July, 2018 20:23
Rhinos will get four home and three away matches in Middle Eights as they did the season before last when they had a late surge to achieve ninth place.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
23 July, 2018 20:37
Hi BL, is one of the away matches in Canada?

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 19:44
Not his time: Toronto match will be at Headingley. Possibility of a match in Canada next year in Super League if results go right way.

This seasons middle 8's give Rhinos home advantage over Hull KR, Salford and Toronto plus third finisher in Championship (currently London Broncos) and travel to Widnes and second and fourth in Championship (currently Toulouse and Halifax) This will change though as there is one more round left to play and one point separates clubs 2 to 6.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 20:06
Possible trip to Toulouse on the cards then?

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
26 July, 2018 18:28
Visited Toulouse several years ago on a business trip.
This was an occasion when we were called a 'rosbif's' by a group of locals, who got a mouthful in return from a French colleague who was with our group!

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
27 July, 2018 06:35
Quote:
Beeston Lion
Visited Toulouse several years ago on a business trip.
This was an occasion when we were called a 'rosbif's' by a group of locals, who got a mouthful in return from a French colleague who was with our group!

I vaguely remember our soujurn to Toulouse with the Tykes and being in the Frog & Roast Beef when the French National Front came in to try and stir up trouble. Once they saw the size of the opposition they faded into the night.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
30 July, 2018 12:26
Now confirmed as follows:

Home Toulouse, Salford, Toronto, Hull KR
Away Halifax, Widnes, London Bronco's (at Ealing Trailfinders!)

sm123sm
sm123sm (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 21:41
You hope that Rhino's will stay up but if they didn't I really think that would have massive knock on effects can Leeds Rugby Ltd support 2 2nd tier clubs and I know which one will have the upper hand.

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 21:45
Their support is solid, they have had periods of under-performance before.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
06 August, 2018 16:01
Now out of the challenge cup so they concentrate on what needs to be done to stay up.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 17:43
Totally agree WW.

But why not celebrate (and certainly not overlook) the female Rhinos victory:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Dr Zaius
Dr Zaius (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 17:51
Quote:
sm123sm
You hope that Rhino's will stay up but if they didn't I really think that would have massive knock on effects can Leeds Rugby Ltd support 2 2nd tier clubs and I know which one will have the upper hand.
The two clubs are totally separate now and Leeds Rugby Ltd/Caddick only owns the Rhinos. Whether Caddick will be willing to put his hand in his pocket to fund them or just rebuild the squad remains to be seen as he's not had to do so before now.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 18:54
Thank you for clearing this up, the good doctor.

Certainly Mr Caddick is his own man, and sponsors Rhinos in his own way (i.e. they make a profit). Whether he is going to dip into his (deep) pockets to give the Rhinos a tonic remains to be seen. However his development company seem to be pretty active nowadays, so maybe he is in a benevolent mood?

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 09:58
Quote:
Dr Zaius
Quote:
sm123sm
The two clubs are totally separate now and Leeds Rugby Ltd/Caddick only owns the Rhinos. Whether Caddick will be willing to put his hand in his pocket to fund them or just rebuild the squad remains to be seen as he's not had to do so before now.

I always like it when the good doctor posts on here. He is so knowledgeable that anyone would think he works for the club!

(Sm124)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net