rugbyunion
Latest News:
Friday 19 October, KO 20:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
New tackle laws
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 21:01
[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

It appears we are guinea pigs on the new tackling laws but only in the cup, take his head off one week but not the next,

Rfu etc grateful to championship clubs for agreeing to trial it, although I doubt it will mean championship clubs will have more opportunity to dine at the top table in the future,

All for helping to try and eliminate concussions and player welfare but the cup has no tv cameras everywhere to help the ref there will be more errors than not I fear during the running of the competition,

Iím pretty sure last year American super league shirts had a black line running across the legal line, seems like a plan to me as most high hits were reactionary and not premeditated, a visual aid would help more than a 6 week cup competition in the middle of winter, will also be confusing to players refs and supporters alike to change rules in the middle of season then to go back,

MESSAGES->author
Re: New tackle laws
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 21:04
[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Took some finding and was from 2016 but you get the idea, sorry it was red not black

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
25 July, 2018 21:11
It looks good to me - anything that can help player welfare is positive, obviously. Could give some meaning to the new cup competition, after all, it is only going to be an academy/ squad player exercise otherwise.

smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
26 July, 2018 09:39
Totally agree anything to help player welfare will be a positive step,

The cup will be a squad academy type comp and like B&I cup will help progress young Refs along the pathway, unsure wether scrutiny they will already be under will help them with different law interpretations

Think the old Anglo Welsh comp would have also been a good trial event as that should be squad/acadamy based also, plus normally televised so maybe benefit of TMO interpretation also,

sure Welsh/Irish having a similar comp as well, pretty much running alongside others IE international weekends

admittedly a trial but over a period of time in one season Prem/Pro14 and championship would run a larger trial giving better feedback to the RFU and world rugby instead of getting feedback from Hull Ionions on a wet Sunday in December

But however they are deciding to do it it remains a positive step in the right direction of player welfare

sm123sm
sm123sm (IP Logged)
26 July, 2018 12:27
I agree positive step in anything about player welfare. However does the trial laws ban the so called "seatbelt tackle" as in general most concussions if not in tackles are by poor tackling technique head meets knee etc or at the breakdown. But saying that could speed up the game as if players are forced to tackle lower the ball should be easier to offload and running rugby will be back

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
26 July, 2018 19:35
Whilst I agree about the intended benefit to player welfare I believe tackling will change to stop offload as in rugby league where there is an intention at every tackle to get three defending players involved. In addition in league it is viewed as a method of slowing down the play the ball especially if the attacking player is put on his back.

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
27 July, 2018 07:52
Sadly professional Rugby has brought about a decline in the ability to tackle a player around the legs correctly. Too many players attempt to tackle high in order to prevent a pass and end up making contact with the neck and head area. The fact that most professional players are 'Gym Bunnies' and build up the muscle in their upper body has meant that contact between players has become even more physical. Certainly the decision to run into another player instead of around them that appears to be the Carnegie way and hence the propensity of high tackles and accidental as well as deliberate head/neck contact.

In the recent U20s competition players had to bend at the waist in order to tackle thereby reducing the number of tackles going high. I can't see how a 6 week competition will have an effect on the tackle given that the first red card in the Premiership for a 'HIGH Tackle' was rescinded because the player was dipping and the carded player was set up to take a chest to chest tackle (again poor technique). If they want to change the laws do so at the start of the season and not halfway through.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
27 July, 2018 09:15
it does start with technique was always told as a U10 upwards "tackle his legs he cant run without his legs"

Throughout my rugby career (not a spectacular one) from Mini's to senior level i always classed myself as a clean player (even though i enjoyed the front row dark arts) but did find myself on the wrong end of a few yellow and even once a red for high tackles, not deliberate but a spur of the moment tackle, a reactionary arm out to stop someone breaking off a maul etc,
Hands up it was a fair cop and luckily no-one badly hurt but spur of the moment reactionary tackles albeit clumsy ones,

It would be interesting to note how many yellows/reds or players having to leave the field for HIA were results of similar tackles/hits? lowering the tackle point by a couple of inches in a game which is getting faster and faster is going to be very difficult to police,

Also noted over last couple of years at Carnegie and the many games ive watched on TV at many levels how many players with the ball or indeed tacklers a couple of yards out from the line or in the process of driving forward lower their heads and go into impact with the base of the neck/top of back, makes me cringe every time i see it especially as 9/10 they are stopped in their tracks which must make them lose a couple of inches in height throughout a career, cant help Concussion protocols throughout a game,

don't want to turn the game into touch and pass but totally agree with last post needs to be implemented at beginning of season so from pre season onwards it can be implemented

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net