rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 15 December, KO 14:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v Coventry Rugby, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

TykesRugby.co.uk
In the land of the prince bishops.
TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 20:05
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 19:02 by Wildwillie .

MESSAGES->author
Re: In the land of the prince bishops.
JDH (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 22:01
Not able to make it this aft but the highlights do look encouraging. Looking forward to the season!

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 06:49
In my haste to get the report up I neglected to mention the performance of Dan Temm at no.8. Dan, who once had a season at Old Crossleyans, is a very mobile 8 with good hands. On Saturday he was everywhere on the field. An impressive debut.

His interview on the offy made me smile when he described the new cricket stand as "a big piece of kit"

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 12:28
"their stadium would easily be the best in the Championship if they managed to get promotion!"

So we're going up are we WW? 😉 Positivity indeed! 🤗🤗🤗

Nice 8 9 & 10 combo - great signings. Not too much pre-season huffing & puffing - a bit from Mayhew but he played his socks off all match. Hard to pick a MoM - JB probably as it was great to see a proper scrum half.

The line out worked 😯 though the restarts didn't until the last one. Still practice makes perfect.

Fab venue (even if all seated) with good nosh.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 13:32
Impressive ground, although I fear for whoever has to pay for the maintenance, security, stewarding, services charges and rates for such an oversized stadium.
If Darlington MP get promoted twice to the Premiership, at 25,500 all-seated capacity, I can only think of Wasps who have a bigger venue.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 13:40
Quote:
Gelbel
"their stadium would easily be the best in the Championship if they managed to get promotion!"

Indeed a 25000 all seater with perfect sightlines all round beats a newly refurbished stadium with an exposed all-standing terrace at one end. and food which at best is average and at worst is diabolical.

As Almo points out MP's ground is bigger than all bar one Prem grounds but will cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

(Sm134)

MESSAGES->author
Madtyke (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 14:03
They need to get some lawn weedkiller down in the In Goals as the number of dandelions was terrible..

What was nice to see was a Stand-off not afraid to run at the opposition. The team looked well balanced and the replacements didn't cause a great loss of continuity.

[www.arborfieldoldboys.co.uk]

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 20:49
I donít want it to be my last memory of the DMP stadium but yes Madtyke the proliferation of dandelions seemed at odds with a professional playing surface!

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 07:32
Darlington MP's view of events:

[www.mowdenpark.com]

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 13:34
Sounds like a positive result and performance. Without wishing to be overly negative, I did see one of mowdens home league games last season and was surprised at the drop in quality from Championship level. That said, the conditions were atrocious and there wasn't much for either team to play for so it could have been that.

As for the stadium, there's no doubt it's an impressive arena but, to me, it's just another another characterless oval new build. I'd prefer Headingley any day.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 19:51
OK this could be another thread, but it is worthwhile discussing on our tactics during the game. Cards on the table - I have long since commented that our lack of quality kicking has been a big negative for us. But now we have a 10 who can kick to the wings and play an organised kick-chase.
We all like to see the ball-in-hand try started from our own 22 line, but in the real world that is more likely to lead to a try or penalty to the opposition than a score for us.
Great to see we are adapting the sort of tactics used by the All Blacks. And I think they know a thing or two about rugby.

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 10:52
Too many dandelions on tbe grass and DMP not as good as YC.
I can think of over half a millouon reasons why this this may be the case.

John R
John R (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 16:40
I thought our Christian Georgeou went walkabout a couple of years ago giving up playing rugby?

Or is the Darlington MP fullback (Chris G) someone else?

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 18:38
Quote:
John R
I thought our Christian Georgeou went walkabout a couple of years ago giving up playing rugby?
Or is the Darlington MP fullback (Chris G) someone else?

Same guy, has been playing international rugby for Cyprus I think but while new to Darlington so unsure where his club rugby has been since he left us

TykeGeorge
TykeGeorge (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 18:49
Think he has been in France. He looked as classy as I remember him playing for us.

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 19:03
Bad shoulder injury finished his time at Carnegie but glad to see him back and properly fit again.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 19:47
[www.rugbyeurope.eu]

Took some finding but he is an international

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 20:47
Absolutely brilliant research, Opus, congrats!

John R
John R (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 15:08
Don't recall the shoulder injury Beeston?

It looked to me that he wasn't being considered for selection by the panel, so up sticks and went........

Always a class player even back in Academy days. Do you remember when the Academy won the the Yorkshire Cup Final against Hessle, I think and played at Ionians one evening some years ago?

Georgiou was the class player at full back that evening.

Wonder if he might come back now it's a changed management?

MESSAGES->author
Gelbel (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 10:49
He totally knackered his shoulder - couple of times and one last horrendous dislocation (down a Bedford if I remember rightly).

John R
John R (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 09:51
Thank Gel, clearly missed that, wasn't at that Bedford match.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net