rugbyunion
Latest News:
Saturday 24 November, KO 12:00, Yorkshire Carnegie v Doncaster Knights, Hull Ionians
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

MESSAGES->author
Today's game
JDH (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 17:16
5 pts is 5 pts. Our new 10 was the standout by a mile imo. Looks like real good player. 9 kicled well too. Not going to be too critical till we are 5 or 6 games in.
A really low quality game of rugby. We never got going and we llittered the game with mistakes, bad body position, knock ons, soft pens. Elder had a mare.

We can only get better but there is loads of work to do in order to make us a gelled unit. Loads!

MESSAGES->author
Re: Today's game
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 18:00
Think you have hit the nail on the head JDH. Now I was watching from a phone in France, but I cannot remember a game with more mistakes
Not a brilliant advert for the Championship imho, but 5 points sorely needed and onwards and upwards.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:24
Any prem second or third string would have put 40+ pts on either team today.
We can only get better, hopefully. But your right almost it was a really poor ad for the champ. Dire Rugby on the whole.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:40
First game for a long time for me; really good to be back at a magnificent new look Headingley.

Agree with JDH, it was a poor game between two average teams, there's no getting away from that but, it is very early days and I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Think our half back pairing is potentially very very good and thought Pete was immense at 12 today. I was also very impressed with Dan Moor. Best player on the pitch for me though was Dan Temm. Good work at the breakdown and dangerous in the loose, he looks like a great find to me.

I think the way to get enthusiastic about Carnegie is to think about what we could be in that stadium with some money behind us rather than what we are now.

For now, we just need to get better at playing rugby.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:46
Good post.

MESSAGES->author
09 September, 2018 21:13
Hi all! Was keeping up with the game via Twitter and I have to be honest I really donít know much about the team anymore (been away from here too long!) anyway Iíd like to say well done all involved and it seems be going well hopefully some of you remember me

Some say he has a Tykes flag with team signatures on.
Others say that he's doing the same to the Carnegie flag,
All we know is that he's called Leeds carnegie signed flag.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 21:15 by Leeds Carnegie Signed Flag.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 21:25
Your right leeming. With a quality team playing in that stadium with a few thousand fans. That would be fantastic

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 05:45
Quote:
Leeds Carnegie Signed Flag
Hi all! Was keeping up with the game via Twitter and I have to be honest I really donít know much about the team anymore (been away from here too long!) anyway Iíd like to say well done all involved and it seems be going well hopefully some of you remember me

A blast from the past. Greetings Flagster! (Sm134)

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 08:46
Signed Flag and Family, some more of our missing supporters of old. Greetings folks!

A win is a win no matter how ugly. And by heck that was ugly! Still it's 5 points so well done lads!

Interestingly over 300 viewing the match on U Tube, myself included.

MESSAGES->author
10 September, 2018 16:13
Quote:
Wildwillie

A blast from the past. Greetings Flagster! (Sm134)

Hi Willie and hi Bobba Iím surprised I could still log in to be honest but yes Iím back for a bit at least, whether I get to any matches remains to be seen however I shall try but regardless I will be around on here again
Well until someone decides to chuck me off anyway haha

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 16:35
Welcome back, trust you are still wearing the pink Stade Francais shirt?

MESSAGES->author
10 September, 2018 16:52
Quote:
almostatyke
Welcome back, trust you are still wearing the pink Stade Francais shirt?

Of course I am! I have that one still and I bought the 2016 season one from the shop in Paris that season
Just need to work out if I could actually afford to go to a match over there

MESSAGES->author
Competitive Dad (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 21:36
Quote:
Bobba
A win is a win no matter how ugly. And by heck that was ugly! Still it's 5 points so well done
I was at Wharfedale v Sedgley Park Tigers on Saturday and Headingley yesterday. The experience could not have been more different . The last time I saw a game worth the admisssion fee and a bit of atmosphere at Headingley was the play off game in the sun v Newcastle Falcons. That's me done I'm afraid. It was truly awful. I didnt come to watch the home side take an absolute age to huddle for a line out or to watch kick tennis. Dont get me started on the Stewarding. Why on earth 2 clipboard wielding Carnegie staff need an armed guard to get through the narrow area to the current changing rooms, asking folks to stand to one side....it is a joke. Ä2,20 for a garbage cup of tea...I could go on and on
The players are nice enough fellas, but the Emerald exoerience was no gem.
It will be a cracking grpund when full, but with 1500 in.....nah

headingleytyke
headingleytyke (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 22:30
It's marketing who do not understand the warm feeling to fans who have spent the money to come in

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 06:11
Please remember that the ground is being redeveloped. That means that we are currently using the ground under the same license as Rhinos, meaning more areas are open than strictly necessary.
It will be much better when we are all huddled together in the South Stand.

MESSAGES->author
leemingtyke (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 10:51
Quote:
Competitive Dad
I was at Wharfedale v Sedgley Park Tigers on Saturday and Headingley yesterday. The experience could not have been more different . The last time I saw a game worth the admisssion fee and a bit of atmosphere at Headingley was the play off game in the sun v Newcastle Falcons. That's me done I'm afraid. It was truly awful. I didnt come to watch the home side take an absolute age to huddle for a line out or to watch kick tennis. Dont get me started on the Stewarding. Why on earth 2 clipboard wielding Carnegie staff need an armed guard to get through the narrow area to the current changing rooms, asking folks to stand to one side....it is a joke. Ä2,20 for a garbage cup of tea...I could go on and on
The players are nice enough fellas, but the Emerald exoerience was no gem.
It will be a cracking grpund when full, but with 1500 in.....nah

I think we've all been at this point, or close to it, at some point over the last few years. I hadn't been to a game for over 18 months until Sunday.

The atmosphere's always going to be rubbish in a stadium that's over 9/10ths empty as it was on Sunday.

The crowds, and the atmosphere, won't come back until we're competing in the Premiership though and, although we're nowhere near that level now, i believe there is huge potential at Headingley and that's why I'm still here.

Having listened to Stirlo's post match comments it seems we're at the start of another 3 year plan, he wants us to be top of the Champ in 24-36 months.

I won't be able to attend again until January due to work but hopefully by then the green shoots will be apparent.

I'm gonna stick with it and see what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 11:57 by leemingtyke.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 13:32
I was not at the game, but it seemed from the stream that only two of the old floodlight towers were working, presumably new lights were working on the South Stand roof?

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 19:42
They certainly were Almo! As I was in temporary North Stand could not say about those above me though, but the two pylons on south side were not in use.

MESSAGES->author
11 September, 2018 20:10
It would appear things donít change do they, Headingley is still getting a slating haha

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 06:33
The North Stand lights aren't working yet.

It's good to be able to watch side-on again, and to have a view free of columns. However, the open nature of the new stand simply emphasises the tumbleweed aspect. With the old, low roof the bit of sound we did make bounced around and became half-decent. Now I fear we will be as a few souls crying in the wilderness.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net