rugbyunion
Latest News:
Friday 19 October, KO 20:00 Yorkshire Carnegie v London Scottish, Emerald Headingley
Send interesting rugby oriented stories to Independent_tykes@hotmail.com
Please make sure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere and post a link to the original material if found online. Opinions expressed on these message boards and in articles are those of the original authors and do not represent the view of the editors unless explicitly stated.
This site has NO affiliation to
Leeds RUFC Ltd, Leeds Rugby or the Leeds Carnegie Supporters' Association and is run independently of those and all other organisations. Readers and posters are referred to the websites of those organisations for their official views.

Carnegiette2
Fans meeting this sunday- Dockray/Wright and Stirling
Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 19:36
There is a fans meeting this Sunday in the cafe bar from 1.15-2pm as has been done previously.

Will be hosted by David Dockray, Jon Wright and Chris Stirling and is billed as ďthe vision for this seasonĒ

Fair to say we havenít made the start I was hoping for (or expecting) so it will be interesting to hear their viewpoint...... hopefully the link is below.....

[www.yorkshirecarnegie.com]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Fans meeting this sunday- Dockray/Wright and Stirling
almostatyke (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 20:48
As stated on the "only way is up" thread, I really look forward to it. Just wonder if 45 minutes is long enough. Great event, but slightly disappointed it has such a rigid end time with the Bedford game following. I would prefer longer so that we could tease out the rehearsed club answers and then really get to the nitty gritty.

Just hope it is not a one-way street "this is how it is".

MESSAGES->author
Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 21:34
Irrespective of eventual content we have to be grateful the Club are doing this as they do not have to!

Would be nice to see the negative posters from other thread at the event (except those in Turkey or other far flung outposts of support!)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
02 October, 2018 23:06
I hope more turn out than did the last meeting. I reckon this one will get a good attendance.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 09:34
Are the turnstiles going to be open in time for the meeting?
I certainly would not wish a repeat of the last time I tried to attend such a meeting and having to take aggravation and abuse from G4S and a Rhinos staff member. That was the reason why I no longer attend regularly.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 16:07
I would expect the one near the ticket office and shop to be open.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 18:00
Looking forward to tomorrow's event, these are some of the questions that I hope are answered:

1) What is going on, i.e. what is the new 3 year plan?

2) How much money do we have available for player salaries?

3) What is the escape plan (get out of jail?) for this season? Just getting key players fit is not good enough, there will be further injuries and our squad depth is insufficient.

I'm sure other posters will have more.

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:50
Why have we seen no improvement in performance in 2 to 3 seasons. Same mistakes errors and pens. I haven't come away from Headingley thinking, god we are improving, for a long time?
When are we gonna sign quality players on long deals to actually built a squad and team to complete? Putting money in for one season and hoping won't work.
Has the Yorkshire name change actually benefited us?
Can we knock the on the road on the head. Players would benefit from building momentum at HC?

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 22:53
Oh and once fans have heard the 3rd 3 year plan and we are now lower in the league with a smaller squad and playing error ridden rugby it wears thin!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:49
I see no point in turning up only to listen to what, I suspect, is going to be same old, same old. This to be followed with watching a game with a handful of supporters rattling around in an 20000+ stadium with no atmosphere.

So, may as well sit down with a nice pint or two and watch Worcester V Bristol which promises to be a cracking match. Oh and I'll be able to create my own atmosphere! And more to the point, it will save me at least a tenner and also my nerves!

MESSAGES->author
Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 11:59
That's all fine, but then why bother even coming on here?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

wildwillie
Wildwillie (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 13:07
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

T'was ever thus with the "miserati" (Sm126)

MESSAGES->author
07 October, 2018 14:34
Quote:
Bobba
I see no point in turning up only to listen to what, I suspect, is going to be same old, same old. This to be followed with watching a game with a handful of supporters rattling around in an 20000+ stadium with no atmosphere.
So, may as well sit down with a nice pint or two and watch Worcester V Bristol which promises to be a cracking match. Oh and I'll be able to create my own atmosphere! And more to the point, it will save me at least a tenner and also my nerves!

Ah thatís the spirit Bobba haha

Some say he has a Tykes flag with team signatures on.
Others say that he's doing the same to the Carnegie flag,
All we know is that he's called Leeds carnegie signed flag.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:33
IMHO it was worth turning-up for the fans' meeting, Dockray/Wright/Stirling presented the way forward and answered every single question thrown at them. Clearly they are embarrassed at the position we are in and understand the fans' reactions and criticisms on social media but they explained the way forward and hope that supporters will keep the faith. I remember the following points, though they are probably in some sort of random order:
1) The Directors have invested £6 million (i.e. covered losses to that amount) in the past 4 years
2) Last year and this year finances were not in place to mount a challenge for promotion but effort has been concentrated "off the pitch".
3) There are now circa 10 shareholders but a further 6 have recently become loanees and will become shareholders in due course
4)This year's salary budget is £1 million - current 35% of the salary is being paid to injured players
5) The off-pitch organisation is now strong and Jon Wright sees it that now is a good time to invest in a Premiership push. His business has now developed sufficiently so that he has the personal resources to make a telling contribution.
6)Chris Stirling has been seeking new players from around the world. The board have given approval to recruit on Friday so contracts will now be offered. The plan is to use the Cup window to bring in Premier-quality players and mould them into a team, with the stronger team starting in the Championship from the Donny Christmas match.
7) Chris believes we will be mid-table at the end of the season and this, with further recruitment will lead to a credible promotion push next season.
8) Headingley is an important part of attracting players to join us. It will be the biggest rugby-only stadium outside London and our rental has actually gone down slightly, we are not paying extra for use of the new facility.
9) The Yorkshire name will help retain the Academy players from the far-flung corners of Yorkshire who might not have any loyalty to Leeds.
And there was much more....please can other attendees add to this?

(Sm46)

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 19:27
A good open and honest meeting I thought. All spoke very well and were open about the poor situation we are in.
Almost got most points down. Promotion push next year. SSI and kiwi / aussie backs. Tight 5 from these shores. No numbers but imo opinion it will take at least 6-8 this year with more needed adding for pre season next.
All happening next year as the rules change from 20-21 season. So all nothing. We will need a lot more than the last push cos any team coming down will go all out to get back. See wuss destroyed bristol today!

MESSAGES->author
Loosehead (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:13
The proof will be in the pudding, but sounds promising.

MESSAGES->author
opuscoitus (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:19
Yea wuss winning like that made my question toward the end pretty pointless really (Sm6)

However hats off for the honesty and open nature of it, as said before all questions answered and personally I wish I could bottle Chris Stirlingís enthusiasm and belief, he alluded to his wife etc being back at home canít be easy but the guy genuinely believes the futures bright for YC,

they did say they look on message board and views range from frustrated to angry and they can see the point, people who live too far away are exempt from this but the board should not have to read some of the stuff on here from no more than keyboard warriors who canít be bothered attending and still go under the guise that they care, as I said on an earlier post folk pay their money and they asked the questions, and every question was answered fully and without spin, in short they want us to get behind the team in this difficult spell and ask us to believe in what they are doing,

Anyone watching that game today can see the team is trying several out of position and really straining to draw the game at the end, it was obvious they gave it all,

Iím satisfied the board are doing what they can they seem to have it all in hand and with CS slip of the toungue saying south sea islanders backs easier to adapt to the NH game I look forward to some unpronounceable 20 stone Fijian centres and wingers at HC soon

MESSAGES->author
JDH (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:28
It's what we need. Home grown yes but some off our best players have been from the SH. We miss players who you wanna see get the ball!
Agree re stirling. Cannot have been easy with how the team is playing.

leeds_shark
WPL (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 21:04
It's an interesting premiership for sure...I would think Newcastle and Sale could pull clear (Sale once they get some more players back), but the Worcester / Bristol result may have put a cat amongst the pigeons.

A positive meeting, no talk of a 3 year plan, it felt very much a 18month plan with the talk of what was going on. The board is putting hands in pockets to support the DoR - who I have to say I thought to be honest before the match and afterwards.

Optimistic plans in place, but with the facilities we are getting they should be!

One thing I thought very interesting was David's comment of 200k people within 15miles of the stadium with Rugby listed as an interest on social media - tap into 1% of that with good winning rugby and that's 2k on the gate...

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 09:31
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

The simple answer is, because I can. If the moderators decide in their wisdom to ban me from this site, I will happily oblige! But I do not want you to tell me what I should or should not do. I have a point of view and I do not ask you or anyone else to agree or even read anything I may say!

I have supported the team, in the past, And occasionally recently,following them up and down the country over 20 years. I do not have a problem with the team. They do their best. What I do have concerns or a problem with , are the decisions and the directions the management have taken the club. I'm a Leeds lad, and proud of it, and I would dearly love to see a successful Rugby Union team in or around Leeds. So what's wrong with that Albert!

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 09:34
Quote:
Wildwillie
Quote:
Albert Fishwick

T'was ever thus with the "miserati" (Sm126)

"Miserati" I thought that was a word invented by Monty Python in their Spanish Inquisition sketches?(Sm55)

John R
John R (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:05
Nooooo

It's a sports car made in Italy.

I'm going! Coat on.

Bobba
Bobba (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:36
Wrong again That has go an "a" in the name. Cant think what the "a" is for but, by all means fill in the blanks.

Carnegiette2
Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 19:50
As others have said a refreshing and honest meeting. No hiding away from the painful truth of where we are currently. A promise that those on the pitch will give their all- and we certainly saw that during the game. Hopefully some good news with signings to come.

We should remember that the the board donít have to do this- I for one find it a good thing that they do.

MESSAGES->author
almostatyke (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 20:22
One additional point of note is that the Club Directors take notice of "social media" and that definitely includes this forum.
I think that our approach to the current situation - concerned but not totally negative - has helped move things forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net